Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Forgotten Castle (My second hold)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Forgotten Castle (0)  
Yes, the minor changes i've made aren't too important, it's just cheaper potions and some balance in monsters and rewards.

08-04-2012 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: The Forgotten Castle (+1)  
Two things:

1) There's a script in the goblin part making you lose 100 ATK and 100 DEF, even if you leave the room directly. This is a death-trap if you haven't saved. I don't think this can be intended, and if it is the player has to be forewarned.

2) You can use the wooden sword on ormites. I don't think you intended this (by doing this you can e.g. kill swordsman in one strike, and sidestep goblins more easily). If you didn't you can make rid of the wooden sword, and instead use a custom-sword with 10 ATK in the first level. If youy want me to be able to use the wooden sword, please make it easier by adding empty sword slots at the start of the goblin level (at least). If you make rid of the wooden sword you can reintroduce it as a secret that the player can obtain later on to deal with ormites.

And finally: Nice to see an update :) I will stop playing until I know how you want ta do with the wooden sword.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-05-2012 08:04 AM]
08-05-2012 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
The first thing, problem has been solved

The second thing, yes, that you can have the wooden sword in the level is unintended, because you'll kill most monsters without be damaged. I hope that the problem is solved now,and i added an autosave on 1 West.

[Last edited by Suwako at 08-05-2012 03:11 PM]
08-05-2012 at 03:10 PM
Blondbeard
There are a few things that pops to mind:

1) Are there supposed to be one secret longsword in the pits, and a non-secret long-sword in the fourth floor?

2) There appear to be an inacsessable area in the Goblin Lands in 1S3W (the bottom left quorner).

3) The gel of 2S2E appears to be uncuttable (even with the help of a mimic).
08-05-2012 at 09:16 PM
Suwako
There is a secret longsword in the tunnels and a non-secret longsword in the fourth floor, the inacessable area problem has been fixed and changed the gel so now can be cut. Thanks for the patience with my problems :) , I'll test the hold heavier before the upload the next times.

08-06-2012 at 12:11 AM
Blondbeard
Frozen Storage 4E: You can use the grappling hook to get more power ups (this might be good though, kind of lika a secret).

The power ups in the Frozen Storage seems a LOT cheaper than the ones in the Goblin Lands. Once you can strike a gel baby and only get hit once, that is. I even managed to (finally) get the ormite shield. And defeat the Forgotten Protector in Fourth Floor (cost me around 900 HP). You have a tendancy to sprinkle really expensive HP potions. Like 600 HP for a green and a yellow key. There are lots of better ways to use keys. If you look at score a green key is worth 800 HP, and a yellow key is worth 400 HP. My end-stats: 7997/446/372/25/15.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-06-2012 05:48 AM]
08-06-2012 at 05:19 AM
Suwako
I'll take note about that and make the frozen storages harder o with lower rewards, but right now I'm not going to upload a new version soon, I'll work on the things that I said.

08-06-2012 at 12:40 PM
Suwako

File: The Forgotten Castle Copy.drh (59.4 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
License: Public Domain
Hello

I've changed completely the intro, hope that now is better and not worse, i added a secondary history with some scrolls in the levels, changed the cutscenes and the prologue, i want to know if you prefer this version or the other, cause if i work in one hold, i want to make it in the best.

PS: I prefer this one. And I'll upload it in this post.
PS2: It's from an older version than the first post, cause i worked on this before the fixes.

08-18-2012 at 03:19 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
The new intro is just fine for establishing how our hero entered into the Forgotten Castle, but I thought it was somewhat funny how the guard opened the door, then left for an alarm and forgot to close the door.

-

Anyway, I'm playing through the new version and like most of the new levels. The Forgotten Tunnels are an interesting idea, where as the player gets strong enough to beat monsters without taking damage, he opens shortcuts to the old levels.

I managed to reach Forgotten Tunnels Thrice South Twice West, and I think the architect made a mistake in putting the Bronze Shield in that room - there's already a Bronze Shield in the Pits which I had for a long time before I reached this room. The architect might have meant instead to put a Steel Shield in there.

Also, the way the room is set up right now, I can guarantee everyone will solve the easy trapdoor puzzle in order to get the reward rather than solve the platform puzzle, which takes much longer and does not give any advantage. I'd recommend just deleting either one or the other puzzle.

-

I will have more comments later when I reach the end of the current content, but so far I think the architect has done a good job.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-19-2012 03:10 AM]
08-19-2012 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
The new intro is way better :)
08-23-2012 at 04:19 PM
Blondbeard
I got all the greckles from Tar Storage before the greckles got disabled (I reached enough DEF to do it for free). Just so you know: The script seems to permanently disable greckle gaining in all levels. I don't get greckles from fourth floor either after the script has activated.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-28-2012 12:49 PM]
08-28-2012 at 12:45 PM
Suwako
Hello, I've been working today and starting to do the first part of the dungeon, It's supposed to be done right after or before than tar stores.

The problem of the level is that with the steel shield, red guards do not harm you, so i'm thinking about how to put it to be balanced with the rest of the hold.

09-02-2012 at 03:54 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
You don't necessarily need to use a Steel Shield as an upgrade from the Bronze Shield - you could create a custom shield with a DEF rating in between that of the Bronze and the Steel, and use that as an upgrade that doesn't completely protect the player from Red Guards.

Alternatively, you could create a custom monster based on the Red Guard that has slightly more ATK, so that even a player with enough defense to protect himself from Red Guards will still get hurt by the new monster.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-03-2012 12:57 AM]
09-03-2012 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
I've thinking about the second, put red guards with slightly more attack, or guards that increase the attack just when you are wearing the shield, or a shield with less defense than the shield of the tar stores.

I think i'll try different ways to do it, and eventually I'll choose the best way to solve that problem.

[Last edited by Suwako at 09-05-2012 07:32 PM]
09-05-2012 at 07:31 PM
Blondbeard
So... about the not reciving any more greckles anywhere after slaying the tar mother. Is that how it's suposed to be? For the rest of the game, in each level?
09-05-2012 at 08:11 PM
Suwako
You will get money from every monster, I'll delete the greckles in both of the gel mothers rooms and the tar mother room, to evade (I hope) massive amounts.

09-05-2012 at 10:10 PM
Suwako
Progress:

I've completed the west wing of the dungeon, and i've started the east wing.

09-16-2012 at 03:10 PM
Blondbeard
Any news?
10-06-2012 at 07:12 AM
Suwako
Doing the east wing. After that, I'll test the level in many ways, and balance it, so it'll take a good time.

10-06-2012 at 10:36 AM
Suwako
The level is complete, only the main testing left, want me to upload what is done or wait until it is more balanced?

10-14-2012 at 04:17 PM
Blondbeard
You can wait a bit, and please check that there are no scripting bugs :) If you want you can upload, but I would prefere to test something you felt was more balanced.
10-14-2012 at 04:23 PM
Suwako
Ok, then by tomorrow It'll problably be good tested.

10-14-2012 at 04:24 PM
Suwako
The testing wasn't too heavy, just medium to correct general backtracking problems. What this has:

- Custom shield with custom tiles
- The first level of the forgotten dungeon (changed, supposed to be done after tar stores, before is harder)
- Gel stores sealed, it are too unbalanced I'll correct that
- Added beta to the hold, i had too many differents versions so i called it to difference beetwen them :P
That's all i think, restore before you got the steel shield, cause the new shield it now gives fewer defense.

Now, comments about the next version.

I'll play very, very heavy the hold and taking note about absolutely every room if they have any bugs or some big/low rewards to see it after.

Other thing i'm going to do is to remove the greckle in mud mother, gel mother and tar mother rooms.

I've come with what i think it's a good idea that it's to put a NPC with a number beetwen () where the number will be greckles that it cost to remove, this save space sometimes, but the greckle doors will also be in some places.

I'll add some stairs to connect the dungeon, the goblins lands and the fourth floor

Well, that's all i think, update is going to be in first post, finally, comments are appreciatted and enjoy the hold.

EDIT: My brother played this hold and discovered that the dungeon didn't have return, i'll upload the version with that corrected.

[Last edited by Suwako at 10-16-2012 09:14 PM]
10-15-2012 at 04:16 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
I've gotten much further in this version than I had in previous versions. It's not entirely clear why, since I think the places I was getting stuck before haven't really changed. It may be helpful to provide a little more guidance on flow. There are lots of places where you can spend a reasonable, but non-negligible, amount of health to get to a new area only to discover that the new area is completely useless to you yet, and you should have waited. Increased opportunities to see what's over there, or a sign before the boss guarding the stairs that says "Beware of Fegundos" or things like that would limit the amount of frustration.

Also, the new shield doesn't retain its benefits on game restore. The only exception is that if I save in the room where I got it, I still have the added DEF when I restore.
10-25-2012 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
You are better playing more the game, because the experience says what do you have to do or not,maybe that's why you are now getting further.

Well, i don't want to give any guidance, because i'm trying to make you to choose where you would need to go, about what area is more useful or easier/harder than others, save frequently, before to do any important choice or to open a door.

The shield..., it was hard for me to put it and make it work properly, so no idea about that bug, but I'll try to find a solution.

I'm starting to change some things and make the hold more balanced, this is what i'm doing this weekend and problably the nexts.

10-28-2012 at 11:13 AM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
My point about the choices, though, is that you're making them blind. You can kill the boss in the north of the pits for a reasonable cost long before you can accomplish anything on the level beyond him. But it requires a certain amount of effort in that direction to get to where you can kill him, and once you've decided not to do so, the best solution is to restore back quite a bit further than just before you killed him and to play it entirely differently.
11-03-2012 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
Ok, even when you can save\load, nevermind, I'll put some text before an area to say how hard it's.

11-06-2012 at 03:45 PM
Suwako
I've been busy these days by some exams so i didn't do anything. These days I'll start to change some things i've though and think about to change others. Just for info.

11-14-2012 at 04:10 PM
Suwako
Hello, I'm going to change a lot of things of the hold to make it balanced and someway hard, there is anything you want to see include or any suggestion to change something?. I can try to do that.

Until the mud chambers changes are made and well done/tested. I'm working now on: Second floor, the pits, first floor north and forgotten tunnels.

[Last edited by Suwako at 11-22-2012 04:30 PM]
11-22-2012 at 04:17 PM
Suwako
Hello, I've changed the area involving everything until the forgotten tunnels, I only have to test it. Changes mades are that most of yellow keys cost 30 greckles, it's harder to get 68 of ATK, and some new things. I've next week full of exams and I won't work on this a lot.

As always, keep in mind that I still work on this.

12-09-2012 at 08:56 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Forgotten Castle (My second hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com