Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Forgotten Castle (My second hold)
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
IP: Logged

File: The Forgotten Castle.drh (124.1 KB)
Downloaded 89 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Forgotten Castle (+3)  
Hi all, after complete my first hold (Suwako prizes), i'm doing this hold very slowly (two days every 2 weeks). I think everyone like to see new holds here so i put it here.

I was expecting to end it before put here, but the feedback and opinions are the best things to make a good hold,so before proceeding too far i would like to know if you like it and what things should i change.

Finally, have fun :)

EDIT 9/6/12

PS: Levels done : Prologue, Ground, first, second, third, fourth floor, the pits, mud chambers, tar stores, and forgotten tunnels.

Now there is nine playable, added the fourth floor and a prologue

EDIT 4/8/12

Two levels added, goblins lands and the frozen storages,now there are eleven levels playable

EDIT 15/10/12

Level added, First level of the forgotten Dungeon and removed the frozen storages because them are unbalanced, still 11.

EDIT 15/12/12

Increased the hold difficult, actually up to the forgotten tunnels.

EDIT 11/2/13

Some balance and ensured that forgotten tunnels are possible.

EDIT 16/2/13

Balanced tar stores, fourth floor and forgotten dungeon. It's possible enough to get to goblin level, but I don't know if it's too easy or hard.

EDIT 9/3/13

Balanced goblins land and done the second level of the dungeon, looking how to balance those in the gel level.Take care in the dungeon when you move the platforms in 1W, you can be still stuck

EDIT 24/3/13

Balanced gel level and the second level of the dungeon, added the fifth floor and started the third level of the dungeon. There is a total of 14 levels playable (counting level 1 and 2 of the dungeon are separate each).

EDIT 4/4/13

Ended the third level of the dungeon, levels playable are 15. Going to check the entire hold.

EDIT 6/4/13

Hold is now completed, I played it during the entire morning and fixed every bug i found. There are a total of 16 playable levels.

EDIT 9/4/13

Bug fixing, some changes, and longsword secret room isn't now a big secret.

EDIT 25/4/13

Problably final version, if there isn't any bugs left.

EDIT 9/5/13

Final version if there isn't any bug left.

EDIT 2/8/13

I'm going to submit the hold. Mrimer give me permission to use the elixir graphic. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this hold.

EDIT 14/8/13

It seems that the hold had some bugs with the build and the Nuntar edit, I've(hope that) corrected all of them and now it's perfectly playable until the end.

[Last edited by Suwako at 08-14-2013 06:37 PM]
04-28-2012 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: The Forgotten Castle (+1)  
Uhh... Are you sure it's compleatable. As far as I can see in the editor you can reach a maximum ATK value of 31 before going to the mud chambers. And that is not enough, considering the available HP, to exchange your wooden sword.
04-28-2012 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'm currently playing and taking some detailed notes.

For now, I'd like to note that in Ground Floor: Once North Once East, the pressure plate at (8,4) by the roach toggles the black door by the DEF gem, which I doubt was intended - it means the player can just walk in, walk over the plate, and get the DEF gem instead of fighting the roach, making it a non-choice.

The architect probably meant for that plate to be a close plate like the one under the brain.

04-28-2012 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
Oops, I forgot to fully test the hold.

I'm going to check it now, I'll edit this message and upload the new hold when i finish it.

Sorry for the incovenience.

Ok, edited, a lot of errors has been fixed, and now is (i hope) possible to go though the levels that are done. I didn't expect all of the errors.

[Last edited by Suwako at 04-29-2012 12:11 AM]
04-28-2012 at 11:11 PM
Blondbeard
icon Re: The Forgotten Castle (0)  
Nope. It's a lot better, though. Third floor 1W is a showstopper. You can't drop the red door, since there is no square to exit the trapdoors on. It probably doesn't matter, though, since you haven't made the Forgotten Tunnels yet. In The Pits 2N you step on to a bridge that emidiatly plumets down to the depth, thus killing you. And to reach 2N you can sidestep a green door in the room below it.

I can't guarantie it, but it seems hard to progres in The Pits. The enemies seems a bit more tough than the amout of HP-potions there are available, and there are quite a lot of doors.

Eh! Never mind! I missed out on a secret in the Mud Chambers. I'd say the hold is impossible if you don't find the secrets, though.

I think I've done as much as I can, considering the bugs... My stats right now: 695/78/55/3/0/0. I think I'm in a good position to progress...

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-29-2012 08:08 AM]
04-29-2012 at 07:16 AM
Suwako
I have updated again the hold, I'm going to start building the tunnels, tar storage and the fourth floor, maybe something more, so i'm going to need a long time, once it is finished I'll notice it here.

My stats after got nearly all of the pits and surrounded levels are: 495/82/55. 352 greckles and 3/1/0.

I've added a hidden room on the third floor and I've changed the last puzzle. In the pits i've correct the backtracing problem, and i think now isn't possible to go trough a close green door. The bridges now don't fall.

At least, the six levels are done, are possible and i've pass them. If someone comment the hold I'll take note it, but the next update will have new levels and the fix of bugs (if there are). I won't update this more.

Thanks for play and check it!.

04-29-2012 at 05:27 PM
Blondbeard
Oh, and you should probably ask someone about the text in the hold. It is a bit hard to understand, and the mud-baby scripting I don't get how it works. Try asking Tahnan, since I think he has offered to help with the writing in holds.
04-29-2012 at 05:58 PM
Chaco
I'm still working on the Mud Chambers and the Third Level, but I'd like to ask that the autosave in Mud Chambers: Once East be moved one square north, into a niche in the wall, so that when pathfinding to the west edge of the room our hero doesn't step on the autosave by accident.

04-29-2012 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Here's a quick extra post to confirm that in the current version (i.e. before the Tar Stores were implemented), it is possible to kill the Forgotten Defender and reach the end of the hold. It's tricky, though. I don't recommend trying unless you have at least 94 ATK, and I killed it with 100 ATK.

It'll be much easier to kill the Defender once the Forgotten Tunnels are implemented, since I unlocked those quite a while back - the Third Level can be done as soon as you reach the Pits, which unlocks the Tunnels, so the Tunnels can be done in parallel with the Pits, Second Level and First Level north area.

04-30-2012 at 05:14 AM
Suwako
Hello again, i worked hard yesterday and today, I've done a lot of things, List of changes:

-Added two new levels (Tar Stores and Forgotten Tunnels)
-Added a map scroll on every level
-Correct a backtracing problem in the Pits, after go to the third floor i was unable to go to the entrance of the Pits and continue
-Added floor styles on every level to make the hold better visually
-Added a shortcut area in the forgotten tunnels, there is some shortcuts that are made, but others there aren't because of the levels hasn't been made.
-Changed the description on all the levels, to be as FTP of Chaco, it has a story,I inspired in it :)
-Changed the main role, now you are a "blue warrior".
-The autosave in mud chambers is now one sqare north
-Added trapdoors to prevent massive farming in mud chambers.

The system in the mud chambers is: If there is 3 babies in the room, you need to stab three babies in order to open the door, if 4, kill 4, that is.

Finally, I'll ask for help with the text once the hold is finished, checked and balanced.

Have fun and give me feedback :D

EDIT: My brother played this and the tar stores were very easy(no money was spent), so i changed it, exept with it, it's nearly the same, only have minor things has been fixed.

[Last edited by Suwako at 05-13-2012 05:12 PM]
05-13-2012 at 01:23 PM
Blondbeard
So I guess you would prefer it if we replayed the whole thing?
05-13-2012 at 06:27 PM
Suwako
From the first floor, the ground floor won't be touched more, i think it's a very good level to start.

05-13-2012 at 07:52 PM
Blondbeard
Alright! If you really want to know in what way I progress, and in which order I do things you should check out my Let's Play videos of how I test the hold. Just look in my signature :)
05-15-2012 at 03:06 PM
Suwako
I'm seeing your videos (actually part 6), thanks for the playtrough, it's an excellent way to see errors.

05-16-2012 at 02:33 PM
Blondbeard
Any news?
05-29-2012 at 06:59 AM
Suwako
I've done aproximately the half of the fourth floor and fixed a lot of errors i saw in your playtrough.

If I have time I'll end the level in the next two weeks and I will see your playtrough. Just wait, I'll notice it here when it's done :) .

05-30-2012 at 01:52 AM
Suwako
icon Re: The Forgotten Castle (+2)  
Hi Blonbeard and everyone who play the hold, I've updated it again, I've made two news levels, the fourth floor and a little prologue, changed some dialogues, made them slower, and fix a lot of bugs.

I don't know when next update will be, but it'll have the frozen storages and i hope that the goblin caves also.

Have fun and thanks for play. :)

06-09-2012 at 06:49 PM
Blondbeard
It will probably take me a while to test it :) Hope you aren't in a hurry.
06-12-2012 at 06:27 PM
Blondbeard
Just so you know: Before you reach the goblin cave goblins will do 0 damage. After the Tar section I have the following stats: HP 1960, ATK 216, DEF 126, GR 1814, YK 16, GK 1, BK 0.

All seems fine thus far. Tar babies died from one hit, and did some 20 damage when I tackled the Tar section for real (and had obtained the new shield).

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-27-2012 09:54 AM]
06-27-2012 at 09:39 AM
Suwako
Yep, I knew that goblins weren't going to do damage, due to this, I'm doing the goblin cave with a mix beetwen goblins in oremites, and some custom goblins.

There are too many yellow keys, so I'll build more yellow doors or remove some keys.

06-29-2012 at 01:03 AM
Blondbeard
Well... to be fair there are lots of places were I didn't open yellow doors (mostly were you could get a small amount of extra HP). I have now mostly completed the Fourth Floor. Some overall comments:

Firstly: Very Well done! Really nice hold.

My stats right now: 2788/275/158/16/8/1 (and a grappling hook and 4583 greckles)
In Forth Floor 2E I don't think you can reach the secret.
In forth Floor 2S1E it is possible to drop the red door, exit the room, and find that there is noo way out from 3S1E. This is a bit unfair since it might be some time since you last saved the game, but it's not a big deal.
In Forth Floor 1W there is some stuff behind a yellow door, and a forgotten soul standig so that you don't have to beat it if you open the door. The thing is you can't use the grappling hook to skip going through the door, since there is some stones or something in the way.
In Forth Floor 1N1W there is no way of entering the area with the swordsman, even when you've aquired the grapppling hook.
In the Forgotten Tunnels it is a bit unfair with a sword in a secret room Maybe you could exchange the secret wall for a crumby wall?

Some general comments: The greckles have never been a problem. Once i wanted the grappling hook it was free to kill tar babies, and I got a LOT of greckles. And it's a no-brainer to pay 20 or 40 greckles for a key.
The intro story seems very... childish. I don't think it benefits the hold as it is now. In particular it seems like a really bad idea to leave your sword and shield in an unexplored island and then entar some kind of secret complex.

06-29-2012 at 08:09 AM
Suwako
I was working on the hold, so changes are made.

First, thanks for say my hold it's nice, it comfort me and keeps me doing the hard-working :) .

2E : problem has been solved
2S1E : Changed the room, now i think that there won't be any problem about backtracking
2S1E : You can open the yellow door, go from (7,6) to (5,4) and then open the greckle door or beat the soul.
1N1W : You can use the grappling hook to go from (8,12) to (6,10) and then, after receive a hit of the swordman, get what you have choosen (I've changed it, so you have 1 door to open).

I've added also a room in the fourth floor with the long sword, I also though about how unfair it would be to someone that couldn't find the secret, I'll do the same with the steel shield and every secret equip.

I didn't come about another idea about the intro, If I think about another intro and it's better I'll do it.

The next version will be when forgotten dungeon and goblin caves will be completed as well the general balance of the hold.

06-30-2012 at 12:44 PM
Blondbeard
Any progress?
07-15-2012 at 07:58 PM
Suwako
The Goblin Cave name will change to Goblin Lands, and i made almost the half of the level.

If you want I can upload the hold every two weeks to see the progress I'm doing.

[Last edited by Suwako at 07-17-2012 01:56 PM]
07-17-2012 at 01:56 PM
Blondbeard
Nah! But please give a little written update every two weeks. I have tested far too many projectsd that just weren't completed, so it's good to hear that you are working on it.
07-17-2012 at 09:52 PM
Suwako
Goblins lands will be finished tomorrow, I'll test them by going just after the tar stores, to see if the level is hard, imposible or easy without the fourth floor.

The fourth floor will be changed as well, to make it imposible or very hard to pass before the goblins level.

07-21-2012 at 04:32 PM
Blondbeard
Were you going to post a new version, or was it just progress report?
07-30-2012 at 02:51 PM
Suwako
It was about progress.

07-31-2012 at 12:52 PM
Suwako
Hello to everyone, I'm happy to say that I'm going to upload a new version of the hold.

This has the goblins lands, the frozen storages and some minor changes. I've played a little the goblins lands with and without the visit of the fourth floor, and it seems it isn't very imbalanced, and them are tough.

I'm thinking about other intro, instead of a traveler going into a complex building, a soldier or explorer that is kidnapped by someone, also i'm thinking to add scrolls in the level for a story of a previous person who was there. So some of the levels descriptions will be changed.

Other thing i want to do is to connect the fourth floor, the goblins lands and the dungeon with some stairs.

Finally, give feedback about anything, even if it's only to tell me "continue working on it, it has bad story but the levels are great", or "great hold, but some places are very easy", It'll make me happy.

Have fun and thanks for playing.

08-04-2012 at 03:31 PM
Blondbeard
From where should I start replaying? Is it okay to start playing from autosave "To the fourth floor"?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-04-2012 06:11 PM]
08-04-2012 at 06:04 PM
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Forgotten Castle (My second hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com