Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war20 (only first room is hard)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.5/10 (10 votes)
σ 2.87
Author Name:khaim100
Submitted By:khaim100
Hold Name:war20
Theme:only first room is hard
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:2840
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: war20.hold (14.9 KB)
Downloaded 633 times.
License: Other
icon war20  
you can zap this thru in two hours
12-06-2011 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: war20 (+1)  
We have another war hold on our hands. I'll try to provide a helpful write-up of what we have here.

-

khaim is quite right in that the first room is pretty tricky. It's a typical room for the war series, but it involves monsters that attack from all directions, so it's important to have a good strategy, and be both skillful and patient. Anyone who's still learning the ropes should stay away until they're more confident with large hordes of monsters, and have possibly played some of the other war holds, since the first room doesn't mess around!

Once you're into the meat of the hold, though, you'll face pretty familiar challenges - there's many rooms with very large numbers of roach queens, other rooms with hordes that would be completely unmanageable were it not for your small army of mimics, and some easier rooms to act as light-hearted filler between the tougher rooms.

There's nothing especially surprising here, but the situations are tricky enough that they don't feel like they're an exact re-tread. So I'd say this is a fair way to spend a half-hour to an hour, as long as you know exactly what you're getting into. And if you've played the other war holds, you probably do.

12-06-2011 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
It's quite hard to review the war holds as I could pretty much copy-and-paste a review from a previous one.

This offering is fairly small but most of the war staples are present. None of the rooms are particularly outstanding or difficult - I would probably agree that the first room is the hardest, and it does require some strategy to survive beyond surrounding yourself by mimics.

If you're a competent player and/or have played war holds before you shouldn't have too much trouble with this - you won't see anything new but then this is the 20th hold in the series so you shouldn't expect to anyway!

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 5.5
Fun: 5

Progress - Gavin G
03-14-2012 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: war20 (0)  
Why did you skip war18 and war19 in naming the holds?

07-10-2014 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Do not question the wisdom of Khaim, young one.
07-25-2014 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: war20 (0)  
:rolleyes. I will assume that they were removed after war20 was published. Khaim(100) choose to not update the more recent hold names. Please feel free to correct me, because I am will to admit that I am fully Wrong.

[Last edited by abe10 at 07-25-2014 02:27 PM]
07-25-2014 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war20 (only first room is hard) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com