Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Jmit' (Puzzles and plot)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.5/10 (11 votes)
σ 1.88
Author Name:Jonhy.S
Submitted By:EvgeniyS
Hold Name:Jmit'
Theme:Puzzles and plot
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:66
Number of Monsters:897
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+0 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: jmit_final_version.hold (6.7 MB)
Downloaded 768 times.
License: Other
icon Jmit'  
Puzzles and plot
09-29-2011 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
icon Re: Jmit' (0)  
Puzzles and plot. How descriptive.

09-29-2011 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Hey, Rat Man, welcome to the world of sarcastic snark!

While I'm glad you've decided to embark on this mighty journey, might be worth doing some homework: Jmit's russian, so his English is pretty shaky. He's not likely to make a long post introducing his hold.
09-30-2011 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Jmit' (+1)  
I love commenting on a hold's storyline. But in this case, I think I have to make an exception. I also object to unpredictable scripting, and while this hold had some scripting I couldn't predict, well...for all I know, it was extremely well-explained on the scrolls and in the dialogue.

All things considered, it's not a bad hold; there's not much you haven't seen before, if you've been playing for a while, but there are some rooms that are genuinely interesting. There are also an awful lot of empty "walk through this room for a while" rooms, especially post-mastery. (For a taste: there are 66 rooms, per the description above, but I've got high scores for 38--and some of the nine rooms for which I've got the only score may be rooms that I forgot to put in a one-move demo for and which no one else has gotten to yet. So around half the rooms in this hold are empty, which is a lot of walking around, and a lot of the post-mastery area is literally "walk through this empty maze".)

Still, all in all, worth playing. Perhaps the author will manage to get someone with a better command of English than himself, and a better command of Russian than me, to translate the text (we've got a "localize text" thing for this, don't we?). In the meantime, спасибо! (That's as much as Google Translate will accurately get me.)
09-30-2011 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a fairly straightforward hold by the architect formerly known as JohnSoft + variations.

Although it's been a few years since his last published hold, there isn't anything here that's not been done before - hack and slash rooms, a few rooms of the "lots of roach queens stuck in dead ends" variety, some slayer rooms and even a room where you need to kill the slayer (at least I believe you do in order to activate the scripting). One thing as mentioned by Tahnan above is that all the text is in Russian, so even switching to a cyrillic font doesn't help me as it just replaces the boxes with cyrillic characters! It would be nice if some translation could be done if only to work out what's going on and what's being said.

There are vocals in this hold - again in Russian, and I would particularly recommend listening to Level 01: 1N2E - I couldn't begin to explain what's going on in there...

Overall, a fairly simple hold - although I would agree with Tahnan to some extent about the maze rooms, most of these are in the post mastery section anyway so shouldn't cause too much frustration with the main bulk of the hold.

My verdict:

Difficulty: 3
Fun: 5

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 09-30-2011 04:21 PM]
09-30-2011 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Jmit' (-1)  
TBH I had the same initial reaction as Rat Man. Not sure "homework" should be required when commenting.

Anyways, this hold is next on my list...
10-01-2011 at 09:32 AM
EvgeniyS
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19

File: Jmit_1_english_subs.hold (6.7 MB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
This is hold version with english text
(scrolls , subtitles i t.d.)

How in english i t.d. i don't know :)
In short you understand me..

My games (Arcade,Quest,logic):
http://jonhsoft.imondu.ru or http://178.68.192.93/
10-01-2011 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
EvgeniyS wrote:

Given that I was one of the people asking for a translation, it's only fair that I should play through this version as well.

Having English text definately improves this from my point of view - some of the translations are unintentionally funny but that just adds to the enjoyment.

Thanks!

Progress - Gavin G
10-03-2011 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
EvgeniyS
martz wrote:
EvgeniyS wrote:

Given that I was one of the people asking for a translation, it's only fair that I should play through this version as well.

Having English text definately improves this from my point of view - some of the translations are unintentionally funny but that just adds to the enjoyment.

Thanks!

No problem!

10-04-2011 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Syntax wrote:
TBH I had the same initial reaction as Rat Man. Not sure "homework" should be required when commenting.

Man, when I get up in people's grills and have no idea what I'm talking about you people act like it's a bad thing!

...I mean, not that I ever have an idea of what I'm talking about, but at least when you guys catch on that I don't.
10-04-2011 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Jmit' (+3)  
Syntax wrote:

"Homework"? No. You're not required to do any sort of work or effort before commenting.

On the other hand, if you want to comment intelligently and be taken seriously, it's probably helpful to do a little bit of work so that you know what you're talking about. In this case: if, before commenting on the hold, one actually opens it and listens to three seconds of the voice acting, one gets the very strong impression that the architect isn't a native English speaker. (Assuming that the name "Jmit'" and the name "EvgeniyS" don't tip you off.)
10-05-2011 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Tahnan wrote:
Syntax wrote:

"Homework"? No. You're not required to do any sort of work or effort before commenting.

intelligently
?
The comment was a reaction to a rather short hold description. And if you think presumption is ok based on 3 seconds of playing the hold and someone's internet nick, then we obviously disagree on the definition of intelligence.

[EDIT]

I'm not a native English speaker either btw

[Last edited by Syntax at 10-06-2011 05:57 PM]
10-06-2011 at 12:16 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Jmit' (+2)  
I'm glad we are all agreed that quick presumptions based on limited information are a terrible idea.
10-07-2011 at 04:31 AM
Syntax
You're presuming we're all agreed.
10-07-2011 at 11:13 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I presume that Evgeny would rather see comments on his hold in the thread belonging to his hold.

I'll take a look at it tonight, but on previous attempts Caravelnet has failed to recognise it (downloaded as a file, or downloaded in-game with Caravelnet). Any ideas?

10-07-2011 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
So far I'm enjoying the hold though it's not difficult. Didn't have any issue downloading it in-game
10-07-2011 at 12:26 PM
EvgeniyS

File: Jmit_english_subs_fix2.hold (6.7 MB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
This is FIX2 of my translation of " Jmit' ".
Some text i had forgoted to translate...

<----- Download Jmit ENGSUBS-FIX2

[Last edited by EvgeniyS at 10-16-2011 06:00 PM]
10-16-2011 at 05:58 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Not sure what to say about this hold.

Aside from not being able to understand anything (perhaps you should release the English version instead of just having it as an attachment), I actually quite enjoyed it. Everything was fairly straight-forward but fun to optimize, the levels looked nice and had a lot of character to them. It was a nice, relaxing play, and I'd like to say "thank you" for that. I hope you make more holds like this.

12-05-2011 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Jmit' (Puzzles and plot) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com