Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Perplexing Puzzles (on the holds board)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
IP: Logged

File: Perplexing Puzzles v9.hold (6 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Perplexing Puzzles (+4)  
This hold has been published!

Play it here

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 08-08-2012 10:51 PM]
05-16-2011 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: rogu3's second hold (unnamed) (0)  
Apparently I don't know how to get serpents to do what I want. I've tried pinning the serpents between the goblin and a corner and tried getting it into the cubby but can't seem to. Quite frustrating. I don't feel like it's a puzzle that's stumping me, it's just trying to get some creature to move in a pattern I want it to. Personally I don't care for that. One of these days I'm going to find time to go through the Advanced Concepts and maybe that will help.

05-17-2011 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
There's an error in 1: 1S.
If you conquer the room and leave the room to the entrance(Northern exit), you're stuck as the adder which opens the door is now gone. A way to prevent this happening is by adding a force arrow.

Oh, and there is an unintended solution in 1:2S2W.
You could just put the mimic on the square with the conquer token as the mimic can be placed there. Perhaps you could add an open yellow door on the square with the conquer token as you can't put mimics on open yellow doors.

[Last edited by Shendy at 05-17-2011 05:15 AM : Add more]
05-17-2011 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
New update!

I've removed the nasty entrance room from the first version, so now the hold is fully non-linear.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-18-2011 08:35 AM]
05-18-2011 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
icon Re: rogu3's second hold (unnamed) (+1)  
I got a chance to look into it finally. It's got a lot of variety but doesn't seem to have a coherent theme. Is this just a collection of various puzzles? I appreciated you giving your opinion of the difficulty of the puzzle.

Personally, I prefer a straight-forward puzzle every few rooms or so just to give me a chance to relax and enjoy myself. Otherwise I feel fried after finishing. I feel old since mentally I still compare everything to AE.

05-18-2011 at 03:14 PM
da rogu3
Yes, I haven't really stuck to a specific theme, it's just a variety of puzzles.

I've also tried to make this one of the more difficult holds around. Which rooms were you able to solve?

I'll probably make a few more 5-6 brain puzzles to balance the difficulty out a bit.
05-18-2011 at 03:22 PM
west.logan
da rogu3 wrote:
I've also tried to make this one of the more difficult holds around. Which rooms were you able to solve?

Ah, that makes more sense. I haven't played some of the more difficult holds on the site. I'll try to play through this completely when it's released.

I just ran through some of the floor puzzle rooms with the mimics (Maybe it's my 2D Zelda background but I like those). I'm at work so I took a quick break to look at the rooms. Some do indeed look a bit difficult and I'm eager to try a few (when I have time, too many holds!)

On a side note, perhaps it's just me but sometimes the colors clash, e.g., of the long, horizontal hallway with all the statues and the surrounding walls/flooring. Perhaps there are reasons but having dirt floors, green and yellow floors, water, stone, and regular tile floors seems a bit surreal. If there is one thing Elfstone is good at, it's aesthetically pleasing holds.

05-18-2011 at 03:38 PM
west.logan
Oh, and I was going to say that I think there might be an unintended solution to once south, thrice west (lower left extremity). At least I think it's unintended.
Click here to view the secret text

05-18-2011 at 03:50 PM
west.logan
I feel silly commenting on things like this. I'm certainly not as experienced as most of the other folks here, and certainly not clever enough to make puzzles like this myself. Hopefully the comments are of some use though.

05-18-2011 at 04:00 PM
da rogu3
Yup, that's certainly a US, thanks. I've fixed it for the next version.
I feel silly commenting on things like this. I'm certainly not as experienced as most of the other folks here, and certainly not clever enough to make puzzles like this myself. Hopefully the comments are of some use though.
No worries, everyone's comments are welcome and appreciated :)

As for the floor design, I agree the mosaic pattern might be a bit too striking. I think all floor types might work better together in Deep Spaces, Iceworks or City; rather than Foundation. As such, aesthetics is something I'll work on after all the puzzles are fully complete.

Edit: 1S2W and 1S3W are being removed in the next update, so don't bother with them.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-24-2011 04:03 PM]
05-18-2011 at 04:12 PM
da rogu3
So many people have downloaded the hold and not one even wanted to post a little comment? Please, even if you've only solved 1 or 2 rooms, do say something about them :unsure

Edit: @West.Logan below
That's probably because of guests, or people downloading twice.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-24-2011 04:40 PM]
05-24-2011 at 04:02 PM
west.logan
2/14 isn't so bad. Sometimes I wonder if bots are downloading things, because an image I posted had 8 downloads within the hour and I'm not sure 8 people even logged on during that time.

05-24-2011 at 04:06 PM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
I downloaded it but I'm so bad at DROD that I haven't gotten far enough with it to post any comments :weep

05-24-2011 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: rogu3's second hold (unnamed) (+2)  
Some comments(6/10 rooms solved so far):

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-28-2011 09:15 PM]
05-28-2011 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Thanks for the comments :)

Replies:

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-28-2011 09:21 PM]
05-28-2011 at 09:20 PM
mxvladi
icon Re: rogu3's second hold (unnamed) (+1)  
Here're demos for 2W and 1S 1E

EDIT: removed

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-28-2011 11:52 PM]
05-28-2011 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Thanks, your solution for 1S1E was a little simpler than mine, which involves the adder eating the golems clockwise then turning back around, rather than making one trip anticlockwise like you did.

As for 2W, I see what you did with the roach eggs to block the queen. In my solution, I have the rattlesnake at (16,2) acting as a wall, so that when you destroy the crumbly walls the queen doesn't go into the arrow. Your method however doesn't look much easier, depending on how easy the US is to fix I may or may not change this room.
05-28-2011 at 11:50 PM
da rogu3
Okay, v3 should be up either later today or tommorow. I'm planning on splitting the hold into three main levels - easy, medium, and hard; and there will be a hub level, allowing access to any of the levels.

I'm also considering removing 1E - it requires a bit too much trial and error to get the solution.

I'm also reducing the number of puzzles the hold will have, I think 10 should be enough.
05-30-2011 at 12:28 PM
da rogu3
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (0)  
v3 is finally here. Massive, massive changes in this version.

I finally decided on a name: Perplexing Puzzles :P

All the rooms have been moved around:
1S2W,1S3W,1E ---> removed
1W ---> Easy:1W
1S2E ---> Easy:1N
New puzzle Easy:1E
2W ---> Moderate:1S1W
1S ---> Moderate:1W
1S1E ---> Moderate:1S
2E ---> Moderate:1E
1S1W ---> Hard:1N1E
New puzzle Hard:1E

The unintended solution in 2W (now Moderate:1S1W) has been fixed by adding hot tiles. Hopefully it should require the rattlesnake now. Also, I've changed 1S1E (now Moderate:1S) a little bit.

I've also changed the checkpoint placement in some of the rooms.

I think that's everything :P

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-31-2011 01:29 PM]
05-31-2011 at 10:28 AM
mxvladi
Unintended solution in "Easy: 1E" -> I used adder to kill serpent instead of goblin. Demo attached

EDIT: removed

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-31-2011 07:47 PM]
05-31-2011 at 07:24 PM
da rogu3
Thanks, fixed in next version by adding a trapdoor at 19,14 and moving the yellow doors.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-31-2011 07:34 PM]
05-31-2011 at 07:30 PM
da rogu3
Just found a US in Hard:1E, fixed by moving the doors passage one square down.

I'm also considering removing the hub, renaming the levels to 1,2 and 3 and using a similar system to Museum of Ooze for the levels.

Also, I've yet to receive feedback on about 4 of the rooms. If it's due to the difficulty, I'm willing to give hints via PM. Please please comment, people.
06-03-2011 at 06:45 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (+2)  
Wish I could help - most rooms look pretty ingenious but
I've only completed the Easy level.

[Last edited by Jacob at 06-03-2011 10:57 PM]
06-03-2011 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3

File: r302 Easy 1W.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Thanks so much for the comments Jacob!

1E: I haven't updated it yet, but I think this should be fixed by adding a trapdoor at 19,14 (and moving the yellow doors as an escape), so you only have that small space to move in (which shouldn't be enough to manipulate the adder into the space since it won't turn west)

1W: aww, no one seems to like the room. It was removed from my previous hold for the same reasons, people found it frustrating. I really like it though, but you're right, the queens and goblin aren't really needed. It's one of the rooms which get annoying if you don't do it the *exact* way. You might be interested in seeing my demo for it. I'm not sure yet whether I'll remove the room, or make it optional -_-

1N: :D

Medium 1E:

Oh, and medium:1W might be very frustrating to people, it's a room which I really like but I'm not sure whether others will.

As for the hub, after playing holds like museum of ooze, the level switching seems much more intuitive there, and I've changed to a similar system, removing the hub completely. I've also changed the level names to 1, 2 and 3.

I'm fairly busy over the weekend, so the next update will probably come around Monday.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-03-2011 11:15 PM]
06-03-2011 at 11:11 PM
Jacob

File: PP Easy 1E Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (+1)  
Interesting ...

06-03-2011 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
1E - oops, exactly the solution I wanted to avoid

1W - hmm, mabye, your suggestion seems sensible

1N - 1 potion :-O I thought it required 3. Where did you place it (and what sword orientation?)
06-03-2011 at 11:57 PM
Jacob

File: PP Easy 1N Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
I'm awful at snake manipulation - which is why I won't be able to complete your holds, but here's a 300-odd move demo (lots of trial and error) with only one decoy on the adder side.

06-04-2011 at 01:20 AM
da rogu3
Thanks, in the intended solution there are three decoys in the top right corner, which kills the adders in one hit, before they can eat them. I think because the intended solution is more optimal, and there isn't any easy way to fix the US, I'll probably just leave it in.
06-04-2011 at 08:37 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (+1)  
Your view of moderate puzzles makes me think my brain has retired. I managed to solve one, and it wasn't easy (1S1W). Quite ingenious with the ww and the queen. I didn't realy need the rattlesnake though...
06-04-2011 at 10:06 PM
da rogu3
Yeah sorry :/, the level names are totally inaccurate (better would be easy-medium, very hard, insane). I'm switching back to numbers for the next update.

Can I see your demo for 1S1W? In my solution the rattlesnake is needed, I can't do it without the snake.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-04-2011 10:17 PM]
06-04-2011 at 10:15 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Perplexing Puzzles (on the holds board)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com