Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (He can stick is sword clean over them!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
IP: Logged
icon How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (+3)  
If he can put his sword over the walls, why doesn't he just climb over them?

Unless he's putting his sword through the walls, which doesn't make any more sense.

04-26-2011 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (0)  
Really? Are you going to ask why he can't jump either?

Maybe why the roaches stop moving while he takes time to think. Or how he can move faster diagonally than he can move straight forward. It's a game!

Plus a Really Big Sword tm can easily go straight through a wall.

I wish that man would stay away
04-27-2011 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (+2)  
Have you looked at Beethro, I mean really looked at him? For a smitemaster of his umm, stocky stature, it's easier to spend 500 turns solving a puzzle than climb over a wall that he barely can swing his Really Big Sword over.

04-27-2011 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Spitemaster: I made this topic because I was bored and wondered what people would say. I guess I should have done a compendium of things that don't make any sense in DROD.

04-27-2011 at 12:23 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
There's a big difference between being able to stick a sword over top of a wall and being able to climb that same wall starting with only a hand-grip on the top, carrying a backpack full of provisions.

Beethro might be travelling relatively light compared to a soldier, but he's not a mountain-climber. He can't climb anything more steep than a staircase.

==

I do like the idea of a topic about non-realistic elements of DROD, but frankly there are a lot of them since DROD is just an abstraction of smitemaster work anyway. It's a puzzle game, and walls are meant to be simple impenetrable constructs. Sometimes we can't overthink these things.

04-27-2011 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
This is why.

04-27-2011 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (+1)  
Actually, I hate to say this, but Rat Man's got a point.

It's repeatedly shown that Beethro can see what's going on in a room across walls: For instance, he addresses Halph in the first few rooms of JTRH, despite there being significant distance and walls between them.

I'm going to assume, honestly, that he /leans/ the sword against the wall, and that the picture is simplified, but I don't think the wall can actually stretch to the ceiling in all places.
04-27-2011 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Personally I think it's because Beethro won't jump over the walls out of respect for all the other monsters in the dungeon. It's a gentleman's agreement. He don't jump the walls and slaughter them, they don't jump the walls and eat him.

04-27-2011 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Two words: Gameplay abstraction.

04-27-2011 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Beethro has big heavy shoes that he can't actually lift off the floor - he has to shuffle everywhere. If he could, he could just step on all the giant roaches. The Slayer can lift his shoes to step on things, but he is honour-bound to follow the wisp and the wisp can't climb the walls.

OR

The reason has something to do with the ending to TCB. If you step off the floor, who knows where you'll end up?!? It's not worth taking the risk. Also, this is why it's ok to step down off a door, but not to walk around on top of one. Unless you're Tendry, who is just being a daredevil with all his doorwalking.
04-27-2011 at 07:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
The fact Beethro can break secret walls must mean the sword is inside the wall. Similar logic can be applied to seep-killing (always imagined them inside the wall).

Maybe the dungeon walls all have alcoves (albeit rather deep ones :))...
04-27-2011 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Banjooie wrote:
For instance, he addresses Halph in the first few rooms of JTRH, despite there being significant distance and walls between them.
What REALLY doesn't make sense is how he has to jump through hoops to get to doors to knock on them so Halph can get here and has to tap him on the shoulder to get him to come? Why doesn't he just call Halph and say "Hey, go open that door over there!"?

04-27-2011 at 07:53 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Actually, 'Halph has a Bad Day' explains that quite nicely.

Click here to view the secret text

04-28-2011 at 04:41 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Halph the autistic architect. Or something.

04-28-2011 at 05:49 PM
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Seems to me that the 'walls' are really just waist-high square stones, which he can see over, pass his sword over, and so forth. It's just not very smitemaster-like to step over a stone that a good, hard-working architect put there for a reason. (That, and his back is sore from holding that sword out all the time.)

05-26-2011 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How come Beethro's taller than the walls? (He can stick is sword clean over them!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com