Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Don't install DROD to Program Files
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged
icon Don't install DROD to Program Files (+1)  
Not a very interesting feature request, but it also stands as a warning.

I've found that due to vista's manipulation of files in the Program Files directory (related to compatibility files and UAC), a horde of problems can spring up when you try copy DROD from one place to another (saved games which are stored elsewhere by vista don't get transferred correctly) and the latest patch somehow meant that vista would not even access the .dat files in the first place.

So I suggest that future installers do not install to program files as default

01-05-2011 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
IP: Logged
icon Re: Don't install DROD to Program Files (+2)  
The plan in the future is to have DROD create a user directory for files that get created after installation (e.g. player .dats and Homemade content). So, you won't have to wrangle with permissions in the 'Program Files' dir.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-05-2011 08:50 PM]
01-05-2011 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Don't install DROD to Program Files
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com