Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Two noob questions (Entrance victory demos & blue doors/Exit hold stairs)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Two noob questions (+1)  
I hope this is the right place for this. I've built a small hold and have a couple of Architecture questions:

1. Even though no Entrance rooms are marked Required or Secret, victory demos still get recorded in my Beta hold. Does this go away after promotion, or is there something I have to do first?

2. I had wanted to leave access open to all levels (no blue doors), but when I did that and tested the Exit Hold stairs before conquering the hold, I got the "Congratulations! You conquered..." message. Will the hold really show up on a players Stats list as "conquered" even if they haven't completed it, or is that just a standard message that appears and I don't need to worry about it? Alternatively, is there a way to keep the Exit inaccessible until the hold is conquered and still have no blue doors on my levels?

Thanks.
05-17-2010 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Two noob questions (0)  
1. You'll always get victory demos for all rooms (required/unrequired, entrance/other, secret/not) if you have "Automatically record demos for conquered rooms" checked in under settings. Exiting a room with no monsters or conquer tokens counts as "conquering" it.

2. Regardless of blue doors, monsters killed or rooms explored, if you go down End hold stairs, you are acknowledged as having conquered the hold and will see the end hold screen (as default it says: Congratulations you have conquered... and something about teethmarks - you can always change this). This will also show up as conquered in your high scores.

In other words, you could have a hold with 100 levels, but if you walk down some end hold stairs at the very start, you've conquered it.

I'm not sure what your required behaviour is here. If you let me know what it is you want to happen, maybe I can help.

05-17-2010 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
1: The entrance rooms can be marked unhighscoreable but you'll always get demos as Jacob said.

2: You could do something like allowing access to all levels with no obstacles, and adding a side passage somewhere that goes through every level and requires you to pass a blue door in all of them to reach the end of the hold.
05-17-2010 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Thanks. I was hoping to have a totally non-linear hold, so that even if someone was stuck on one level, they could proceed to another. I suppose one way to do that would be to actually put it all on one level, spread out, with stairs to link sections. However, then I'd only have one level name which doesn't really work for me.

The best option would be if there was some way to script a character to "wait for event/conquered hold" to activate an orb that would open a gate blocking the exit, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Is there something I'm overlooking?
05-17-2010 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Doom wrote:
1: The entrance rooms can be marked unhighscoreable but you'll always get demos as Jacob said.

2: You could do something like allowing access to all levels with no obstacles, and adding a side passage somewhere that goes through every level and requires you to pass a blue door in all of them to reach the end of the hold.
Thanks Doom. (post collision) That's not a bad option and if I can't do it with scripting, that's what I'll do.
05-17-2010 at 04:51 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
In Advanced Concepts, HIJK or Choose your adventure (to pick just 3 examples), levels can be done in any order. Completing each one allows you to clear a room in the hub level, and then once you've done each of those you can complete the hold.

Alternatively you could do something like Odd Jobs (which works more or less in the way Doom describes).

No reason why you couldn't do something like that. There's no reason why a non-linear hold has to have sequential levels, or why it couldn't work with blue doors. There are probably plenty more ways of doing this.

Or have a variable that goes up by one each time you conquer a room, and then check whether it has reached a certain value before opening a door. But that seems kind of contrived.

[Last edited by Jacob at 05-17-2010 05:04 PM]
05-17-2010 at 05:00 PM
noma
Lots of good options. I'll play around and see what works best. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!
05-17-2010 at 05:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Two noob questions (Entrance victory demos & blue doors/Exit hold stairs)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com