Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement? (+2)  
It occurs to me that, really, there can be a big difference between DROD TCB and RPG when getting, say, a "2nd Place" announcement. In TCB, you're guaranteed 13 points (compared to 17 points for 1st Place). In RPG... it could be anything, depending on how optimized the 1st Place was.

So what would people think of a change such that it prints "37 Points!" instead, rather than ranked places? It would be a more accurate assessment of the score increase you'll get for reaching this checkpoint, and since 1st Places are shared in RPG, an announcement of "100 Points!" is an easy indicator that you've achieved that. The only real loss of information is that it doesn't give you an indication of how many people have come before you (like if you got 13th Place or something), and the proposed caption doesn't tell you if you tied a score (maybe "100 Point Tie!"? Or is that unnecessary?)

Anyways, just an idea for now. Posting it here so people can think about it and decide how they would feel about it changing.
09-10-2009 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement? (+1)  
Perhaps there could be a combination?

[banner]3rd place tie! (92 points)[/banner]

09-11-2009 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement? (+2)  
For people who may not have been keeping up with the RPG scores development, perhaps the message could be "92% optimal" or "92% of highest" or similar, which I think is what the points out of 100 serve as.

09-11-2009 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement? (0)  
I like chaco's idea, and I don't think the rank (1,2,3) should be displayed, because the emphasis is more on getting the highest score than beating everybody else.
09-13-2009 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement? (0)  
Implemented in 1.2.3! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2016 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Possible Change to 'nth Place' Announcement?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com