Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Dreygo's Quest (A short-ish Level Set of Medium Difficuilty with an Intense Storyline)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
IP: Logged
icon Re: Confessions of a Broken Hearted Stalwart (0)  
mxvladi wrote:
Since I can't find any place in the hold where hand bomb is necessary to use, I think some kind of bonus level which is accessible only if you have handbomb should be made.

If you downloaded the new version you would realize that the hand bomb is no longer there

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
04-11-2009 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Nuntar wrote:
Lamkin wrote:
But even a British person (i.e., Nuntar) would pronounce the R in "stalwart."
British English is non-rhotic; it never pronounces Rs in syllable codas.
BTW Nuntar, did you get my PM?

John Lennon
04-11-2009 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
I can agree with "stoll-wirt" because I think it sounds unusually official for a name.

But this is getting off topic. For future reference, consult a dictionary, not us on the pronunciation of stalwart.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 04-11-2009 02:35 PM]
04-11-2009 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Nuntar wrote:
British English is non-rhotic; it never pronounces Rs in syllable codas.
Fair enough. :)
12th Archivist wrote:
But this is getting off topic.
I agree and apologize. I finished your hold last night, Samuel, and was very impressed.
(And now I really have to get around to finishing Nuntar's awesome hold.)
04-11-2009 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
I agree and apologize. I finished your hold last night, Samuel, and was very impressed.
(And now I really have to get around to finishing Nuntar's awesome hold.)

Thanks

John Lennon
04-12-2009 at 10:18 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Lamkin wrote:
Nuntar wrote:
The word "stalwart" is pronounced "stoll-wut", not "stal-wart".
Merriam-Webster seems to indicate that both of those pronunciations are incorrect.
\ˈstȯl-wərt\:tomato

No, no it doesn't. That's almost exactly how I would pronounce stal-wart, if I'm reading the IPA right. And I'm pretty sure about the second syllable. The first syllable, I'm guessing is a horrible accent. Us Washingtonians never say Stol. But we do say wert. With that sort of an e.

04-13-2009 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
Bump, I have tried many times to contact Nuntar and Calamarain for the voice acting they said they'd do but neither have replied for ages. May I please have someone else to do the parts?

GHOST: One Line, Preferably Deep Voice.
GOBLIN KING: TAKEN BY MELVIN.
SWORDSMAN: TAKEN BY EZLO.

John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 07-05-2009 02:41 AM]
06-13-2009 at 02:11 AM
melvin
Rank Points: 34
Samuel wrote:
Bump, I have tried many times to contact Nuntar and Calamarain for the voice acting they said they'd do but neither have replied for ages. May I please have someone else to do the parts?

SWORDSMAN: Approximately Three Lines.
CURATOR: One Line, Preferably Deep Voice.
GOBLIN KING: Fifteen Lines, preferably squeaky voice.

I'd like to do the "GOBLIN KING", read your PM for more. ;)

Click here to view the secret text

06-14-2009 at 03:33 PM
Samuel
Okay, well, just a reminder, there is still an open spot for the Swordsman. Any takers?
Samuel.

John Lennon
06-28-2009 at 02:54 AM
Samuel
This is the latest version before I compile the voices.

John Lennon
07-01-2009 at 07:40 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
You should know that in DROD: RPG, anything that blocks a room entrance (for example, briar or tar) will continue to do so despite anything that may or may not be in the player's inventory (like a briar hacker or a bomb). This means that it's impossible to exit from the western entrance of Trapped To Toil At Death: Once North to The Entrance, and then to get to the western part of the level.

I suspect this may be because you put briar there and assumed the briar hacker would let you through without testing the level to make sure that was true.

It's still possible to use the four(!) pickaxes to do all sorts of crazy shenanigans, like hacking one's way to the staircase in The Entrance and ending the hold, or hacking one's way past the Goblin King in Once East and finding nothing but a hallway that doesn't go anywhere, or hacking past a wall in On The Way, To Getting Out? Once South to similar hallways that the player shouldn't actually be able to get to.

There still doesn't seem to be any actual reason for these four pickaxes to be here, so I'd recommend you just get rid of them since they serve no purpose other than letting players mess with the hold structure in ways they shouldn't.

===

All of Dreygo's lines are voiced by a Goblin. This is because the Dreygo custom character in the hold is based on the Goblin character. You should probably base it on a Stalwart character and make Dreygo the player role of the hold.

===

Other than the issues I pointed out, the finished hold looks fairly reasonable and if the plot and lines are finalized I suppose it would be appropriate to record voice acting.

I will continue to test the hold (including the fourth level) once you fix some of the problems in the first level that are preventing me from getting to those levels in game.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-06-2009 12:24 PM]
07-06-2009 at 12:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Fixed.

John Lennon
07-06-2009 at 12:27 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Alright, I've finished replaying the hold. The following secret tag contains my three statistics readouts at the three scoring checkpoints of the hold:

Some comments:

*For consistency's sake, the third scoring checkpoint should probably read "Level III Complete" so it can be alphabetized properly with the other two.

*A score checkpoint at the end of the fourth level (probably upon killing the Goblin King in Twice West) reading "Level IV Complete" would be good, since currently there's no reason to optimize this level.

*You should probably use the Autosave feature in your hold at each of the score checkpoints, and possibly at each of the weapon upgrades. Currently there are no saves in this hold other than the ones the player makes himself. This is a short hold, but for optimization and alternative paths some default points would be appreciated.

*This is a minor issue, but be aware that in Beggining To Become Tedious: The Entrance (which should be spelled Beginning), there's a whole bunch of briar. If the player does some backtracking he can bring the briar cutter to this point, cut all the briar, then go back and get his short sword, effectively skipping the one Gray Man enemy. This is a minor point, since he would only do about 45 damage at this point, but I hope it's not just an oversight, since I thought it was clever.

*The staircase in Plots of Greymen and Goblins: The Entrance goes to a level entrance in Beggining To Become Tedious: The Entrance instead of an expected entrance in Beggining To Become Tedious: Twice North, Once West.

*I don't think the eastern edge of Trapped To Toil At Death: Once East can be reached anymore, which is good seeing as there's no room behind it. It's possible to figure out that it's impossible to bring the Goblin Biter back to the Goblin King, mostly considering the fact that there's a trapdoor "puzzle" in Beggining To Become Tedious: Twice North Twice West which can only be traversed once and becomes impassable, but in any case implying that there's a room to be reached when there isn't is just misleading.

===

Anyway, this hold is a complete work that is conquerable. It's a bit short, easy, and wanting for interesting RPG optimization decisions, and I personally don't like the aesthetics or the trivial trapdoor layouts, but there's no show-stopping problems here at all.

07-06-2009 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Fixed.

John Lennon
07-07-2009 at 01:20 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Enjoyed your hold. It was short but sweet.

08-19-2011 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
icon Re: Confessions of a Broken Hearted Stalwart (+1)  
After the three or four year gap of no DROD whatsoever (I know, blasphemy right?), I've come back to take another stab. After playing through this hold again, I don't know why you guys let me keep on posting...

Trust me when I say, in my absence I HAVE matured, you won't see anymore posts of me correcting people or complaining about being modded down, no. I've come back a little bit smarter than that ;).
Watch this space, I will be continuing with this hold starting with fixing all the bugs in the current levels before adding new ones. Stay tuned for more guys, and its good to be back :)

John Lennon
02-26-2012 at 11:32 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Good to hear, and good luck! I'm very pleased to see things happening concerning DROD RPG.
02-26-2012 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Yay! I'd love to see some more RPG holds. I was actually thinking about you last night, Samuel, as I was looking at your "tutorial" :), long time ago eh?

Looks like you're done but if you still need voices I'd be happy to help.

02-26-2012 at 02:54 PM
Samuel
Thanks Blondbeard!

Always nice to hear west.logan

Aaah, My Tutorial on City Beneath... that should have never made it onto the holds board >.<. I might be doing another tutorial, but for DROD: RPG this time, that actually works ;).

If you're offering, I'd love to have some more voice actors for the Level Set, doing all of them myself wouldn't give it the diverse feel i'm looking for, as I only have two distinct "Creepy" voices, after that they all sound the same. Will PM you with details when I know what I've got to tackle ;).

John Lennon
02-26-2012 at 09:17 PM
Samuel
Excuse my double posting, but here is the new version of the game.

I have restarted the version sequence (for I now know how to properly catalogue version sequences), so the game is now in Alpha with Version 0.1.0.

+: addition
!: change
*: bug fix

! Changed most textures in the game to the full use of DROD's built in textures.

! Edited the architecture of most rooms to look cleaner.

! Attack/Defense Gems and Potions have been used more frugally, and the keys have been reworked so that they are all useful, and you can optimize the use of them to better your score.

John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 02-28-2012 06:08 AM]
02-27-2012 at 01:04 PM
west.logan
I'm sorry, am I missing seeing the attached file somewhere?

02-27-2012 at 04:08 PM
Samuel
Hmm, thats odd, the post really doesn't like the file I'm trying to attach to it, perhaps if I attach it in this reply?

EDIT: Okay, even after re-exporting the file, it won't attach... anyone have any ideas as to why this is?

John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 02-27-2012 09:17 PM]
02-27-2012 at 09:15 PM
west.logan
There was a problem a month or so ago with allowed file sizes being reduced by accident. You might ask Schik about it.

Other than that, does the filename have any spaces or apostrophes or something weird like that? What is the file size? If you added voices it might be large enough to make a difference.

[Last edited by west.logan at 02-27-2012 09:44 PM]
02-27-2012 at 09:43 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I've been noticing an issue where my file uploads just "don't take" every so often. After a couple attempts, it finally attaches as I expect. Maybe Schik can look into this further...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-27-2012 at 09:56 PM
Samuel
Thanks west.logan, I had an apostrophe in it "Dreygo's Quest 0.1.0". As soon as I removed it and the periods in the version pattern, it uploaded perfectly, it is now attached to my previous post that contains the patch notes, and to the first post of this board.

Also, I will most likely rename this thread to "Dreygo's Quest", as I have come to hate the title I originally gave the game.

Sorry for the delay guys, hope it was worth the wait! ;)

John Lennon
02-28-2012 at 06:10 AM
west.logan
icon Re: Confessions of a Broken Hearted Stalwart (+2)  
I played through it and liked it (at last, an RPG hold I can beat!). I had a couple of comments:

After coming back into the room from the credits, I still had the briar hacker, is this intentional? My original thought was that I would lose it upon returning into the room (because of the arrows)

Intro page: capitalize all "i"s

"On the Way to Getting Out" title page: "dungeons" is misspelled, capitalize "i"s

"Beginning to Become Tedious" title page
capitalize "i"s and spell out "one" (instead of the number). Change "to" to "two"

Going back through the stairs from the fourth level just gives "Entrance 9" in the description. Perhaps something more descriptive?

"Journal Entry 4" "Acording" and "sheilds" need their spelling corrected.

Other than that, I certainly had plenty of health at the end and didn't find it terribly difficult, so that was nice. You listed four voice actors but I only heard one. The story seemed very short but that is because I assume there is to be a sequel. Part of me thinks it might be better to just continue the story here, since the hold is short enough.

Also, it was confusing to me to have Tendry say he wasn't a Stalwart, he was one of the seventeen surviving Stalwarts. Does this mean he's just /just/ a simple stalwart but a great one or did I miss part of the story somewhere

02-28-2012 at 03:16 PM
Samuel
Thanks for the reply west.logan, this update was more focused around the textures and architecture of the game, so in the next update, the bugs you listed will ALL be fixed. Thanks again for the feedback :).

John Lennon
02-28-2012 at 09:15 PM
Samuel
icon Re: Dreygo's Quest (+2)  
Excuse my double posting (once again, must remember not to do this).

Here is the latest release of the game; Dreygo's Quest 0.1.1

This new version has fixed all the bugs that were listed, plus a few extra changes. Rather than just uploading you guys constant bug-fixes of the game, the next version will most likely contain a new level (plus a secret level, perhaps).

Also, the thread has been renamed Dreygo's Quest as has the Level Set.

In the secret tags below you will find the 0.1.1 notes on the game explaining what was added, changed and fixed. If you wish, you can also find them written out in a notepad text file in the RAR file attached to this post.

John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 02-29-2012 08:42 AM]
02-29-2012 at 08:40 AM
Midootje
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Dreygo's Quest (0)  
Is it just me, or is there no possible way to go East or West from Trapped To Toil At Death: The Entrance? The bomb at the start blows up the roaches, but also the yellow key. Methinks it's an utter requirement to move on..

03-07-2012 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
icon Re: Dreygo's Quest (0)  
Here is the latest release of the game; Dreygo's Quest 0.1.2

I know as I said that this was going to be a bigger update, you were expecting a new level. Unfortunately, it is taking a little longer than expected to finish the new level, so I have released this relatively small update to keep you entertained.

This new version has all (self-found) bugs that were present in 0.1.1 fixed.

In the secret tags below you will find the 0.1.2 notes on the game explaining what was added, changed and fixed. If you wish, you can also find them written out in a notepad text file in the RAR file attached to this post.

John Lennon
03-13-2012 at 10:35 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Dreygo's Quest (A short-ish Level Set of Medium Difficuilty with an Intense Storyline)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com