Announcement: Be excellent to each other.


Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Room Contest (Our (very late) contest for March.)
Page 1 of 2
2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Limited Room Contest (+1)  
In case anybody hasn't noticed, there's a new type of DROD out. So we would be remiss to not try and port some of the more interesting contests for DROD to the new DROD rpg.

Rules

1. Your task is to create a DROD:RPG hold containing exactly one room. You are not allowed an entrance room and a separate puzzle room; there must be only one room in the hold.
2. Only the interior space may be used. Do not use the outer border of the room, except that you may place invisible NPCs there for things like setting initial stats and music.
3. No additional media may be used -- no image floors, custom music, equipment with custom tiles, etc.
4. Do not use the REP variable in any way. The compilation hold will use REP as a means of linking the entries together. The variable MonsterREPMult will be set to zero, so if you use custom monsters, do not bother setting MyREP values.
5. Other than the above rules, anything goes! Everything included in the DROD:RPG engine, including all scripting, can be used. Furthermore, your hold does not have to be a stat-optimisation puzzle; it can be a traditional DROD puzzle, a DROD-like puzzle using the new RPG elements, a recreation of a non-DROD puzzle, or even a scene or story that doesn't involve puzzling at all. So long as it's fun to play, you have a chance of winning votes!
6. The goal of your room must be to exit the hold. (In the compilation, all "End hold" stairs and script commands will be changed to return to a "lobby" level.) You cannot use the intro text to say "Challenge: amass 100 greckles" or anything like that. If you want the puzzle to be that the player must amass 100 greckles, you must make it so the player can only exit by achieving this.
7. There is no need to include an end-of-level score checkpoint; the lobby level in the compilation hold will take care of that. You are free to include score checkpoints at other points in your room, including "secret" ones.
8. Each person may submit up to three entries.

Timing
negative 533 weeks This is shorter than usual, mainly because having the april contest being run at the same time would complicate things.

When your ready, post your entry into this topic, which is a special topic that only you and I can see your entry in. Don't ask me how it works, it could be voodoo for all I know. Not that I think schik does voodoo, but you never know.

Prizes
Prizes are as usual
100 rank points (not to be confused with mod points) and a pick from the prize pile for winning
50 rank points for coming second
25 for coming third.

This contest was thought up by, and mostly written by, Nuntar. Thus, all credit goes to him, and in fact, he's probably would be better at answering your questions than I am. However, he hasn't run a contest before, so I have to take over, plus he's out of town for a couple of days.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.


[Last edited by NiroZ at 03-20-2009 02:20 PM]
03-20-2009 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 790
Registered: 12-07-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Very cool contest. I'm in. :D

____________________________
It was going well until it exploded.
~Scott Manley

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-20-2009 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 250
Registered: 05-25-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Me too!
03-20-2009 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2433
Registered: 02-11-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I'm in.
03-20-2009 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3245
Registered: 10-06-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Sounds great! I think I'll join in :)

____________________________
Quick links to my stuff (in case you forgot where it was):
Click here to view the secret text

03-20-2009 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 854
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
6. The goal of your room must be to exit the hold. (In the compilation, all "End hold" stairs and script commands will be changed to return to a "lobby" level.) You cannot use the intro text to say "Challenge: amass 100 greckles" or anything like that. If you want the puzzle to be that the player must amass 100 greckles, you must make it so the player can only exit by achieving this.



Great idea!! But ,I always struggle with what to put in that script so why not give us a standard script for the intro text or just require us to leave it blank. Also, do you want our names or do you want them anonymous?

____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text

03-20-2009 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1206
Registered: 08-04-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Well, sometime I have to get over my fear and build something in Drod RPG. And I'm almost done with all my work on the upcoming SmS, so I'll have lots of Drod time to spare :)

I'm in!

____________________________
Voligner is my very own DROD-like game. Please check it out!
03-20-2009 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1167
Registered: 06-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I'm definitely in!
03-21-2009 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 790
Registered: 12-07-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Are we allowed only two rooms maximum? I have a really good four-room maze (although it doesn't focus on the maze aspect) in mind.

____________________________
It was going well until it exploded.
~Scott Manley

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-21-2009 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1167
Registered: 06-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
No. We are allowed one room maximum.
03-21-2009 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
techant wrote:
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
6. The goal of your room must be to exit the hold. (In the compilation, all "End hold" stairs and script commands will be changed to return to a "lobby" level.) You cannot use the intro text to say "Challenge: amass 100 greckles" or anything like that. If you want the puzzle to be that the player must amass 100 greckles, you must make it so the player can only exit by achieving this.



Great idea!! But ,I always struggle with what to put in that script so why not give us a standard script for the intro text or just require us to leave it blank. Also, do you want our names or do you want them anonymous?
I'm not sure I understand your first question. You would just either give some flavour text, or explain how to finish the hold. I'm not sure why I should proved a standard starting script.

You can choose to make it known or unknown. It doesn't make any difference to me.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

03-21-2009 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 200
Registered: 05-22-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I'm in

____________________________
Currently working on GaTEB and KDD (never finished the silly thing). :yahoo:
03-21-2009 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 854
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
quote:
techant wrote:
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
6. The goal of your room must be to exit the hold. (In the compilation, all "End hold" stairs and script commands will be changed to return to a "lobby" level.) You cannot use the intro text to say "Challenge: amass 100 greckles" or anything like that. If you want the puzzle to be that the player must amass 100 greckles, you must make it so the player can only exit by achieving this.



Great idea!! But ,I always struggle with what to put in that script so why not give us a standard script for the intro text or just require us to leave it blank. Also, do you want our names or do you want them anonymous?
I'm not sure I understand your first question. You would just either give some flavour text, or explain how to finish the hold. I'm not sure why I should proved a standard starting script.

You can choose to make it known or unknown. It doesn't make any difference to me.


"You cannot use the intro text to say 'Challenge: amass 100 greckles or anything like that." I guess that sounded like you could not use the intro text to say anything at all rather than you were just saying that the puzzle goal needed to be set within the room.

It just sounded like you wanted no into text because of how you were setting up to make the compilation.

So do I have this straight? We can have intro text.

Also, can the exit stairs be in the side wall as long as it is not taking you to another room?

____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by techant at 03-22-2009 08:33 AM]
03-22-2009 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mazer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Registered: 04-08-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I would also like to participate.
03-22-2009 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
techant wrote:
"You cannot use the intro text to say 'Challenge: amass 100 greckles or anything like that." I guess that sounded like you could not use the intro text to say anything at all rather than you were just saying that the puzzle goal needed to be set within the room.

It just sounded like you wanted no into text because of how you were setting up to make the compilation.

So do I have this straight? We can have intro text.

Also, can the exit stairs be in the side wall as long as it is not taking you to another room?
Just don't have anything crucial to the room in your intro text. Anything else goes.

And sure, have the stairs in the side wall.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

03-23-2009 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3608
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Hi everyone, I'm back at last, big thanks to NiroZ for getting this running while I was away.

quote:
And sure, have the stairs in the side wall.

Sorry, NiroZ, I'm going to have to overrule you on that one since I think the rule was clear enough as originally stated: nothing in the outer boundary squares except wall (and possibly invisible NPCs, but if so they must be on wall squares). Of course you can place a staircase so that the wall "accompanying" the staircase is on the edge and the staircase tiles themselves are one square away from the edge, if that's what Techant meant.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
03-23-2009 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Ok. why?

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

03-23-2009 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1839
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Two quick questions:

1) If we have more than 1 submission, can these be submitted as individual holds?

2) May we use hold ending text as a means of finishing off the room's story?

____________________________
Resident Medic/Mycologist
03-23-2009 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 854
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
Nuntar wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm back at last, big thanks to NiroZ for getting this running while I was away.

quote:
And sure, have the stairs in the side wall.

Sorry, NiroZ, I'm going to have to overrule you on that one since I think the rule was clear enough as originally stated: nothing in the outer boundary squares except wall (and possibly invisible NPCs, but if so they must be on wall squares). Of course you can place a staircase so that the wall "accompanying" the staircase is on the edge and the staircase tiles themselves are one square away from the edge, if that's what Techant meant.


Yes, that is what I mean. The only way I know to get the actual staircase on the wall would take scripting and special graphics. I just did want to get disqualified if the back wall of the staircase was also the outside wall.

EDITED: please add and untiltime to the rules section, We saw in the last contest how important that was.

____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by techant at 03-24-2009 12:12 AM]
03-23-2009 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3608
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
agaricus5 wrote:
1) If we have more than 1 submission, can these be submitted as individual holds?

Yes, that's how you should do it.

quote:
2) May we use hold ending text as a means of finishing off the room's story?

Yes, that should be easy enough to handle. In the compilation hold I'll transfer all hold ending texts (from those entries that have one) to the level entrances the player will see on returning from each entry.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher

[Last edited by Nuntar at 03-24-2009 12:34 AM]
03-24-2009 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 176
Registered: 05-30-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
Nuntar wrote:
...nothing in the outer boundary squares except wall (and possibly invisible NPCs...


Purely for decorative purposes, can we have pits/water/nothing instead of walls for the outer boundary if it doesn't affect anything and it's impossible for the player to get on the boundary squares?

____________________________
"Happiness is like a cat. If you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."
03-24-2009 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3608
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I'm afraid not, just walls.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
03-24-2009 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 790
Registered: 12-07-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
Nuntar wrote:
I'm afraid not, just walls.


But why? If it does not interfere with the player's method of room solving, then what's the point of having boring old walls? Would you agree that the room would look fancier if throughout most of the room, you use pits, so you use pits for the outer boundaries? The rules do specify that you can use only walls for the boundary, but unless there is a specific, undeniable reason for using only walls, I will... do something.

Just throwing my hat into the ring. I hope I get it back.

____________________________
It was going well until it exploded.
~Scott Manley

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-24-2009 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Avatar
Rank Points: 405
Registered: 07-18-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
In case anybody hasn't noticed, there's a new type of DROD out. So we would be remiss to not try and port some of the more interesting contests for DROD to the new DROD rpg.

Rules

1. Your task is to create a DROD:RPG hold containing exactly one room. You are not allowed an entrance room and a separate puzzle room; there must be only one room in the hold.
2. Only the interior space may be used. Do not use the outer border of the room, except that you may place invisible NPCs there for things like setting initial stats and music.
3. No additional media may be used -- no image floors, custom music, equipment with custom tiles, etc.
4. Do not use the REP variable in any way. The compilation hold will use REP as a means of linking the entries together. The variable MonsterREPMult will be set to zero, so if you use custom monsters, do not bother setting MyREP values.
5. Other than the above rules, anything goes! Everything included in the DROD:RPG engine, including all scripting, can be used. Furthermore, your hold does not have to be a stat-optimisation puzzle; it can be a traditional DROD puzzle, a DROD-like puzzle using the new RPG elements, a recreation of a non-DROD puzzle, or even a scene or story that doesn't involve puzzling at all. So long as it's fun to play, you have a chance of winning votes!
6. The goal of your room must be to exit the hold. (In the compilation, all "End hold" stairs and script commands will be changed to return to a "lobby" level.) You cannot use the intro text to say "Challenge: amass 100 greckles" or anything like that. If you want the puzzle to be that the player must amass 100 greckles, you must make it so the player can only exit by achieving this.
7. There is no need to include an end-of-level score checkpoint; the lobby level in the compilation hold will take care of that. You are free to include score checkpoints at other points in your room, including "secret" ones.
8. Each person may submit up to three entries.

Timing
negative 533 weeks This is shorter than usual, mainly because having the april contest being run at the same time would complicate things.

When your ready, post your entry into this topic, which is a special topic that only you and I can see your entry in. Don't ask me how it works, it could be voodoo for all I know. Not that I think schik does voodoo, but you never know.

Prizes
Prizes are as usual
100 rank points (not to be confused with mod points) and a pick from the prize pile for winning
50 rank points for coming second
25 for coming third.

This contest was thought up by, and mostly written by, Nuntar. Thus, all credit goes to him, and in fact, he's probably would be better at answering your questions than I am. However, he hasn't run a contest before, so I have to take over, plus he's out of town for a couple of days.



"8. Each person may submit up to three entries."

I don't understand this.

____________________________
Nothing to say. I just play the game. And you, sir, should play it too.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
03-24-2009 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2433
Registered: 02-11-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
Neather2 wrote:
"8. Each person may submit up to three entries."

I don't understand this.


It means that you can't submit more than 3 entries

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-24-2009 02:01 PM]
03-24-2009 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1167
Registered: 06-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote in the submission topic:
Remember to remove the REP variable. Bonus points to whoever manages to have a challenging level set without scripting.

:( I'm afraid I'm not up to this challenge. It's getting pretty complex, and I don't know if I'll finish in time. Even if I don't, my hold should be fun to mess around with.
03-25-2009 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
reyll3
Level: Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 33
Registered: 01-01-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
I'm in ... last minute join, but i think i'm going to submit some recognisable puzzles...

____________________________
A cat
03-25-2009 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Question. If someone replaces the outer wall with a pit, is that okay?

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

03-26-2009 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Avatar
Rank Points: 484
Registered: 09-12-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
Question. If someone replaces the outer wall with a pit, is that okay?
A contest organizer asks its participants for the rules his contest? Something somewhere has gone very very wrong.

On topic: Why not? It's not like they will interact with anything.

EDIT: Go go gadget 1337 reading skillz!

____________________________
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by eb0ny at 03-26-2009 02:57 PM]
03-26-2009 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3608
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (+1)  
Well, in case you hadn't read the original post, I was originally the organiser -- I e-mailed NiroZ my rules for him to post as I would be out of the country when it needed doing.

And I already answered that question in the negative for someone else (not Someone Else) so it wouldn't really be fair to change the rules now.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
03-26-2009 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Room Contest (Our (very late) contest for March.)
Surf To:


Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com

Powered by: tForum tForumHacks Edition b0.98.8
Originally created by Toan Huynh (Copyright © 2000)
Enhanced by the tForumHacks team and the Caravel team.