Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia Terce (Prepare for madness...)
<<4567
Page 8 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mafia Terce (0)  
Also, that role makes a lot more sense. If you aren't in contact with all the mafia, you can't spill all the beans, but you CAN spill some. I'm not sure how it's being handled behind the scenes, though, since clearly TripleM was in contact with you at some point... how did he know you were Mafia without you knowing who the other mafia are? It's probably that Zed acts as a conduit via PMs to disseminate information.

02-16-2009 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Mostly I didn't claim to be a Mafia Traitor because I figured you guys either wouldn't believe me and the things I said, or would otherwise decide I didn't have enough information.

stigant is right to some extent... The Mafia executioner essentially saw me as a normal Mafia goon who was allied with him. If he were aware of other Mafia goons, then that would certainly fulfill the other premises.

It's very likely I will, in fact, die tonight, either by being lynched or being offed by a pro-Mafia faction, so I think now's a good time to mention that now that I've been outed I have Cop-investigative powers. (This is, again, an added ridiculousness, but it's there and it's what I have to work with.)

This is pretty much all I know - I'm a Mafia traitor who is now essentially a Town-aligned cop, TripleM is Mafia whom I have been communicating with, and I would really prefer that TripleM be lynched, not me.

EDIT:

It suddenly occurs to me that TripleM might not, in fact, be the executioner - it could be a chain of command wherein the communication goes like so:

<executioner> <-> TripleM <-> Chaco

and neither I nor the executioner can talk to one another. But this is just a theory on my part and I don't expect anyone to take it seriously at all.

EDIT END

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-16-2009 04:30 PM : added crazy wild mass guessing]
02-16-2009 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Because of this, I now suspect that Chaco is still evil. Here's my thinking:
zwetschenwasser wrote:
I'm just clarifying that Chaco can post, just not reveal any role-based information.
That right there exactly what Chaco just did: Reveal role-based information.

How could this be acceptable? My only guess is that he did not actually just reveal actual role-based information. The only way that post could be acceptible would be if the information were false and the definition of the word "reveal" applicable in this sense were to be exclusive to truthful information.

That does it.

Unvote: Snacko
Vote: Chaco

EDIT

Owchies. Painful post collision is painful.

EDIT END

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-16-2009 04:33 PM]
02-16-2009 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
We definitely should NOT lynch Chaco today. All that does is save the Mafia the trouble tonight. If what he says is true (or if they believe it to be true) then he's still a big liability to them. If he's still alive tomorrow and has nothing interesting to report via his cop powers, then we can lynch him tomorrow as he will have been lying. I suggest that we at least test out his information today by lynching TripleM.

Vote: TripleM

02-16-2009 at 04:42 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
An ability immune to rule 14 has been activated and has resolved.

The resolved effect is presented below:

quote:
Chaco wrote:
now that I've been outed I have Cop-investigative powers.

This quote was found to be a lie by an anonymous power role.

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 02-16-2009 10:44 PM]
02-16-2009 at 10:42 PM
zwetschenwasser
Stigant(0)
Chaco(2)-Dex Stewart, Kwakstur
Dex Stewart(1)
TripleM(2)-Stigant, Chaco
Snacko(0)
Kwakstur(0)

With 6 alive, (4) votes to lynch.

02-16-2009 at 10:53 PM
zwetschenwasser
Contrary to popular belief, this game still exists in a semi-plasmoid state. Feel free to comment. ;)

02-18-2009 at 11:23 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Neither Snacko nor TripleM have taken a side yet. Since Snacko doesn't seem to be very active, and since TripleM is the person I believe to be Mafia, it doesn't seem as though a four-vote majority will be reached any time soon, even if TripleM decides to defend himself from my vote by voting for me. This could explain why the game is held up.

I don't really have anything to contribute other than that I hope, in the event of TripleM being lynched and turning out to be Mafia-aligned, that that would result in my words having just a teeny bit more weight.

02-20-2009 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
OK, I've been considering my options, and I don't think I have a choice but to reveal my role.

I have been communicating to Chaco via PM as he claims. I have not, however, been the author of these messages. I take messages from z and pass them on to Chaco, and vice versa. Obviously in the meantime I can take a sneak peek at the 'mail' I have been delivering.

I have been holding off mentioning this for two reasons. Initially, this was because any time the Mafia were indecisive I'd find out who another non-mafia was. That suddenly became helpful recently when the (unknown) mafia wanted stigant voted off, but Chaco has the last say in that matter. (Unless the mafia are playing tricks with me, that implies stigant is innocent.)

Secondly, because as soon as I reveal my role, I commit suicide the next night to avoid living in fear of the inevitable Mafia execution I will get.

After hearing about stigant I decided that was enough information for me to get rid of the one known Mafia member, thus my vote for Chaco (before he 'died'), and my quick revote.

If you vote for me tonight, I and whoever the Mafia kill will die, and we'll be 2 mafia, 2 town left, with no hope left.
If you vote for Chaco tonight, we'll both die, but the town will be up 2-1, and with stigant known as innocent he can virtually decide the game himself between Snacko and Kwakstur, rather than have a 3-way fight.

02-20-2009 at 08:30 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Just assuming the what TripleM just said is true, you guys can use me as a smart bomb too, thought it's risky because we probably need all the votes we can during the day. If I should die during the night, it means that I hid behind Mafia. Tell me who I should hide behind, and you'll know the next day wether he's Mafia or not.
02-20-2009 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
My head hurts. Paraphrasing:

Kwakstur said "I have a great strength and lots of ways to lose it by the time that I can use it. But I can't tell you what it is"
Zed said "I'm waiting on my chocolate townies"
Chaco said "I'm a mint townie"
Zed said "Chaco is a mafia traitor winning with the town"
Chaco said "I think TripleM is the executioner. He sends me messages at night"
Kwakstur said "Snacko is innocent"
Chaco said "I have cop powers"
Zed said "Chaco is lying about the cop powers"
TripleM said "I do send messages to Chaco, but I'm just an intermediary"

Chaco was bluffing about being the mint townie. It seems likely Chaco was bluffing again about being the cop and didn't realize that someone could check a statement for truth. Could this make sense? In other words, did it make sense for Chaco to try to bluff about being the cop?

The roles were
5 townies (3 confirmed dead - 1 strawberry, 1 chocolate, 1 vanilla, 2 left - one of which is chocolate)
1 doctor (confirmed dead)
1 hider (probably Dex)
1 cop
1 Executioner
1 Goon
1 ??? (probably Zed)

Surely, Chaco can't be either of the remaining townies. His first bluff couldn't have made any sense at all. I don't think he would be the executioner since it seems unlikely that he would have the power to execute someone AND the power to avoid a lynch AND the power to get Zed to conceal his role. I suppose it's possible, but geez, it seems a bit unfair to the rest of us that we don't get to do anything nearly as interesting. If he's bluffing about being the cop, he must be the goon. Assuming Zed's statements are true or at least playing by the rules, Chaco's power would have to have been something like: "Can avoid one lynch and make up whatever role he wants to be revealed." In order for us to believe that he is in fact a mafia traitor (another bluff if he's the goon) then he would have to convince us that his role was one of the ones listed (but under a different name since traitor wasn't listed... a proposition that makes sense since the mafia would then be on the look out for a traitor). This means either he had to convince us he was the cop or the goon. But if we think he's the goon (and the goon is a traitor) then we would have to conclude that the mafia only has 1 vote which seems unlikely. Preemptively bluffing (as opposed to being called out with my argument) to be the cop would make sense, but is unlikely to work unless he knows who the cop is and/or isn't afraid of being called out directly. This seems to mesh with what TripleM said. HIS claimed role seems to be like the cop. He has (indirect) investigative powers via the intercepting of PMs (by the way, I actually think that's a pretty cool idea, Zed), and he can't reveal info because he will die immediately after (an interesting way to balance the added power of being able to get multiple deductions each night). If Chaco knows that TripleM can't talk about his deductions, then bluffing about being the cop is a good play.

Ok, so I'm willing to believe TripleM's take on things, but who outed Chaco about being a cop (ie who is the lie detector)? I know it wasn't me. It better not have been Zed. Could it have been Dex? It seems unlikely that the hider has that power as well. Maybe it's TripleM, but surely he would have gone ahead and told us in his last post since he's dead anyway. Surely Chaco wouldn't have outed himself. That leaves Kwakstur and Snacko. Kwakstur claimed to have a nice, endgame power, and lie detector would fit that bill. That would make him one of the last 2 townies (surely a mafia wouldn't out another mafia). But that means (assuming TripleM is correct about me being a townie... and he is, and I am) that Snacko is the Executioner, and that just doesn't jive with Kwakstur's statement that Snacko is innocent.

All of which suggests to me this:
unvote
I will likely vote for Chaco, but I need more information from Kwakstur and (dare I hope) the ever elusive Snacko.
Dex... We can use your hiding suggestion or not to ferret out a mafia, but if we choose the wrong person to hide behind (ie the mafia) then we lose anyway. So either way, assuming Chaco is the goon, we have either a 50/50 chance tonight of winning (if you hide behind the non-mafia) or a 50/50 chance of winning tomorrow (if the remaining townie votes for the correct mafia). But we can't do both. Since the townie can get more information from the two remaining voters tomorrow (both of whom will have to post since it will clearly be the last vote), he may be able to tip the scales slightly in his favor at that time. So I would suggest that you don't hide tonight, and we take our chances tomorrow.

02-20-2009 at 03:26 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Oh, I can choose not to hide? I sure hope so...

And BTW, no it wasn't me. I didn't check that statement for verity.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 02-20-2009 06:06 PM]
02-20-2009 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
That was a lie-detector ability that may only be used on a statement relating to abilities, and it is a rather enforced secret. It is immune to rule 14, which is that the name of all abilities will be stated before they are used. I also cannot state its name or its owner. But, Zed did say I can imply its owner.

Here's a few hints:
1) I have an ability that I may not identify.
2) This is an ability whose name may not be told.
3) The ability is about the abilities of other players.
4) My role specializes in knowing about the abilities of other players.
5) ;)

I can't say much more on it other than: That ability was used to help me to decide whether to hold my vote or to shift it to TripleM.

About Snacko, you may realize that I've been trying to get you to vote him the whole time since the Mafia targeted me. I am now in the Mafia. When the Mafia targeted me, I used my negotiation skill to join. I am in the Mafia now as a sort of spy, although throughout the game I only knew of the one member I comunicated with (but I sure did suspect Chaco).

With the most recent information, this is how I now believe the communication line is set up
                         (Fwd)            (Fwd)
Me <--> Snacko <--------> Zed <--------> TripleM <--> Chaco
I will appear as mafia-aligned upon death since I have been initiated. So I defended Snacko and appeared suspicious hoping that you would lynch me, and then go straight to Snacko. This would leave one other mafia member, whom I'm sure the leftover players could have deduced by the end of the game, which we did.

At this point, it doesn't matter whether we vote him or Chaco. I know that the Mafia Execution ability was the only thing separating the Executioner from the Goon. Now they are both no more than goons, and the way the mafia selects victims is by each member sending votes to Zed.

Unlike TripleM, I do not face imminent death now that I have implicated Snacko becuase it was assumed that the other limiting factors on me would reduce my credibility. If you look closely, you'll find several of them. But most are still active, and I may not identify any one of them in particular as a factor that limits my credibility. ;)

02-20-2009 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Uh, ooookaaaaay.... I'm more confused than I was this morning. I can't see why Kwakstur would be lying, but I can't see why he would be telling the truth either.
So I see two possibilities:
1. Kwakstur wins with the town. If this is the case then he must be telling the truth, and we'll win tomorrow. We'll kill Chaco today, TripleM will die tonight, and Snacko will kill either me, dex or Kwakstur, leaving 2 town votes to 1 mafia vote tomorrow, and we know the mafia vote is Snacko, so we lynch him immediately. On the other hand, winning that way sucks since the game seems to have been too rigged from the beginning for the town.
2. Kwakstur wins with the mafia. If this is the case then he's probably still telling the truth, but it doesn't matter because the Mafia will kill me or Dex tonight, and with TripleM out, even if Chaco is mafia and we lynch him today, the town will be down 2-1 against the mafia tomorrow. This seems like a more deserved outcome, even though I lose. However, Kwakstur's role seems insane... He's almost guranteed, from the beginning, to end up on the winning side.

So... Kwakstur wins for sure.

Let's get it over with

02-20-2009 at 08:54 PM
Kwakstur
I will take the time now to commend zwetschenwasser on how he made this game of Mafia (except for the part where he participated in it).

As we know, the doctor and the hider added to the chaos by being just as able to hurt their faction just as they could help it.

We know that there are differently flavored townies (mmmmmm tasty) with slightly different abilities. I'm eager to learn these.

And two of my favorite roles are alter egos of eachother. This was a great twist.

The tables turned quite a few times. I eagerly await today's results.

And for the record, stigant, I was never guaranteed anything.

02-20-2009 at 09:53 PM
zwetschenwasser
Chaco, screaming that he wasn't a Mafia, gasped for breath, hoping against all hopes that he could somehow escape the noose being strung around his neck. TripleM, the Mafia Executioner, looked at him, sneering, "You pathetic town traitor. I should have known not to let you in my Mafia in the first place. Thankfully, my newly recruited comrade Kwakstur will take your place as my right hand man." The three other townies, Dex Stewart, the cowardly hider, Snacko, the chocolate townie, and Lopsidation, the strawberry townie, stared at the two mafia in disbelief. They searched for their insane doctor, Stew Boy, but he had cast his last anonymous vote on their behalf. Stew Boy's spirit flew into the air, and the town realized that he had been contributing to the lynches even after his death. The town looked towards Chaco, the pro-town Mafia traitor, hoping against all hope that he still had a breath of life in him, but their necromantic doctor could do no more for him. Chaco, in his dying breath, cried out, "Curse you, Kwakstur. Damn you, TripleM. Now I cannot die in peace knowing the answer was under my nose the entire time." He died on the lynching stand. The three townies gathered together. As a strawberry townie, Stigant knew that he had a knife to cut through nooses if the town would try to mistakenly lynch him, but he could do nothing against guns. Dex stewart certainly could do nothing useful by jumping underneath a Mafia member. Snacko's Chocolate power of protecting himself from an investigation could provide no effect against Chaco's dead detective skills. They noticed that the moon had risen into the sky. Kwakstur chuckled. "I knew that posting that false ad of Chaco's guilt would get him lynched." Stigant realized in shock that Kwakstur's ability to find a true statement a lie and manipulate the people to believe it was all a ruse. Feebly, he lunged at Kwakstur with his knife. TripleM shot him in the face before he had come half the distance needed to end the Mafia leader's cruel life. "Fool. You thought you could stop me from conquering this town with a little pathetic knife? Now feel the pain caused by your stupidity." He kicked Stigant in the face and stomach repeatedly, causing the man to grunt in excruciating pain again and again and again, while Dex cowered in fear behind the foul-smelling Snacko. But it was too late for them. Kwakstur attacked Snacko, and in the brawl that ensued the two mafia fashioned a noose and lynched him over the same tree that ended Chaco's life. Dex Stewart cried out, "Please, Evil Lord whom I helped to kill. Intercede in my behalf!" Zwetschenwasser materialized on the ground. "Sorry, Dex. They don't call me an Evil Overlord for nothing. I look out for myself, not your pathetic town affairs." He disappeared. TripleM and Kwakstur closed in on the crouching Dex Stewart. Kwakstur slashed at his back with his dagger, exposing his white vertebrae covered in rivulets of blood and water. TripleM stepped on his head, and in three seconds it was all over. "It'll take forever to get this gunk off my shoe. It was genuine leather, you know," TripleM said to his comrade, and they walked away, leaving their trail of death and evil behind their bloody footprints.

The Mafia, TripleM and Kwakstur, have won Mafia Terce. My complete notes for this game will be posted immediately below.

02-21-2009 at 01:39 AM
zwetschenwasser
3 Ice Cream Townies

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You are the one that knows nothing, thinks nothing, and feels nothing. You are as plain as vanilla gelato. You are a townie. Use your power of mob rule to destroy the mafia. Good (or is it bad?) luck.

2 of the townies receive this addendum:

Wait! You are not a vanilla townie! You are strawberry! Let’s see here… You also possess the power to unlynch yourself once in the game. You must PM me your choice to stay alive, and the vote count will be reset and the day will continue.

2 Millers (townie that appears guilty to a cop investigation)

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You are the one that knows nothing, thinks nothing, and feels nothing. You are as plain as vanilla gelato. You are a townie. Use your power of mob rule to destroy the mafia. Good (or is it bad?) luck. Oh wait! You are a chocolate townie! You may protect yourself from a cop investigation once during the game by PMing me at the beginning of the night.

1 Cop

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You are on a quest to destroy the havoc that threatens your Italian home. You may PM me a player to investigate each night. Or so it seems… You have a hidden agenda. You enjoy the lust for power only organized crime can bestow. You are NOT the Cop, although the world thinks so. Once you are sufficiently enraged, you will cast off your mantle of goodness and turn to the dark side of the Force… You are a Mafia Traitor with a Temporary Cop Investigation. Once the Mafia targets you, you lose your Cop abilities, and you gain the powers of evil and darkness…

In summary your abilities are:
Temporary Random Cop Investigation: Until you are targeted by Mafia, you may investigate a player every night to determine alignment. I give you no guarantee that the information you gain will be truthful, however.
Donut Weakness: If the doctor (who you know to be insane) targets you, and his protection turns into a night kill (for as you know, insane doctors have a 50/50 chance of killing the player they protect), you do not die, but you lose your ability to become mafia.
Pre-Conversion Stutter: Before you become Mafia, you may only post the first syllable of words you intend to make. Failure to comply with this post restriction will result in immediate removal from the game.
Mafia Traitor Ability: Once the Mafia has targeted you for their night-kill, you become an agent of evil. You lose your investigative abilities, and become a Mafia goon. Your partners will be revealed to you, and you will be revealed to your partners. The three of you must choose a townie to kill every night. You lose your Stutter.
Web of Lies: Once during the game, you may PM me a quote made by a player, and I will declare in the thread that the quote you selected was found to be a lie by an anonymous power role.
Peer Pressure: Before your conversion, you may only vote the hammering vote on a player.

Note: If you claim a false role name at any time, you will be instantly be removed from the game. If you are forced to claim your role at any time, you MUST claim to be a pro-town Cop. You didn’t think I’d make it easy for you, did you?
Win Condition: All town-aligned players must die.

Mod Notes: Web of Lies’ ability name is never revealed until the end of the game. It is immune to any rule forcing the ability to declare its name before it resolves.

1 Doctor (guaranteed either sane or insane)

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You have decided to use your American gleaned medical skills to protect the ones you love from Mafia evilness…ness. Mehehe… I like yellow strawberries… *snap* You are the doctor. You may PM me a player to protect each night.

In summary, your abilities are:
Insane doctor protect: By my flip of the coin, you may target a player to protect every night. If heads, the person will be protected from all abilities. If tails, the person will die.
Necromantic Diagnosis: If you die, you can no longer use your abilities or post in the game. However, you may vote secretly by PMing me, but you may not cast a hammering vote.
Psychiatric Assistance on the Full Moon: On Night 2 only, you may choose to forgo your night ability in exchange for a cure to your insanity. If you are cured, you lose your Necromantic Diagnosis ability, but gain a 100% chance of protecting your targeting player.

Win Condition: All Mafia-aligned players must die

1 Hider (can hide behind one player each night)

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You are the town’s least respected member, the cowardliest of the cowards, the Hider! You may hind behind one player every night. If the Mafia target you, the player you hid behind will die instead. But beware! If you hide behind mafia you might not be well received…

Hide: You may hide behind a player every night, and redirect a night kill aimed at you towards your hide…ee? If you hide behind mafia you will die.
Inside Information: A large reason you fear the world is that you know a terrible truth: Zwetschenwasser, the one you trust to provide votecounts and flavor text, is actually a genuine player, with a secreted vote in this mind twisting game: an evil overlord, that has strange powers that assist him in destroying all, town and mafia. Use this information wisely.

Win Condition: All mafia-aligned players must die

1 Mafia Executioner

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You have taken a solemn oath to destroy all remnants of good in this town, along with XXX, your faithful comrade. You are a Mafia Executioner, a most powerful, evil person with a big axe. You have a one-shot Execution ability, which you can activate any day, and a night-kill, which you and your comrade must decide upon. Your execution ability allows you to lynch a player if half of the votes required to lynch have been cast. You are the one responsible for sending me your death note as well.

Execution: You may lynch a player with half the required votes by PMing me.
Mafia Night-kill: You must choose with your comrade a person to kill every night, and PM me your choice.

Win Condition: All town-aligned players must die

Mod notes: This ability has a 50/50 chance of being completely revealed to the players, by telling who activated it. The lynch described is actually a day-kill hybrid that does not end the day.

1 Mafia Goon

Welcome to Mafia Terce! You have taken a solemn oath to destroy all remnants of good in this town, along with XXX, your faithful comrade. What he doesn’t know is that you have a hidden agenda. You are NOT a Mafia Goon, although that is what your partner believes. You are sick and tired of this horrible killing and evil that never ends. You are a pro-town Traitor with a Mafia kill. You may converse with your Mafia brother, XXX, but you are forced to hurt your cause so as to not appear weak. You must help decide upon a victim from the goodness that you long to protect. Be strong! For the Mafia will die soon! Your abilities are:

Mafia Night-kill: You must choose with your Mafia comrade a townie to kill every night
Traitor Ability: If a protown faction targets you, either through investigation, hide, or doctor protect, you immediately become a pro-town sane cop that can target one person to investigate each night, for who knows? There might be a traitor on the town side also… Note: you must still decide on a night kill every night.
Unlynchable: Once in the game, you may survive a lynching. If this occurs, the vote count will be reset.

Note: If your comrade finds out about your hidden agenda, he may choose to nightkill you without your consent. Be wary. Also, if you reveal your true role name to anyone, even after you have converted, you will instantly be killed by the wrath of the mod. You didn’t think I would make it easy for you, right? As Darth Sidious and Mace Windu said, “You are too powerful to be left alive”

Win Condition: All mafia-aligned players must die

Mod notes: At the beginning of the game, a random number between 1 and the number of players in the game will be rolled. If the player gains that number of FoS’s, his traitor ability will be automatically activated. Once his Unlynchable ability is activated, his true alignment will be publicly revealed.

1 Evil Overlord (or Bastard Mod)

You don’t need an introduction. You know what you have to do to destroy all living things on this planet, and this pathetic little town is the first step. You are a Neutral Evil Overlord, and you have complete knowledge of all that goes on in this world.

Moderator: You are the mod. You do everything. Period.
Taste of Death: You may vote privately and anonymously, but you may not post player content until you are voted for at least once, nor may you cast a hammering vote. If a townsperson (not Mafia) posts the possibility that you are the private voter, you must state that the anonymous vote can now be revealed to the town because of the post, and you lose the ability to vote privately (of course, you still must vote anonymously). You may PM Kwakstur at any time during the game, and you may not comment on any player’s alignment directly or indirectly, unless part of a mod scene.
Utter Chaos: You must unleash one of the following abilities each day.
Voraciousness: All votes count as two votes all day long
Evil Shadow: Every odd numbered vote cast today becomes a vote for the entity “Evil Shadow”. Evil Shadow can be lynched but not nightkilled. If lynched, the vote count is reset and the hammering voter gets a nightkill immunity. This ability then deactivates.
Retrospection: For use after day 1. The day’s starting vote count will be the same as the ending votecount of the day before, including the persons killed, whose votes are set to zero. If the players attempt to lynch the person that died again (for who knows what reason), you must reveal your complete role PM and reset the votecount.
Twist of Destiny: The person with exactly 1 vote at the end of a day (caused by lynch) is killed instead of the lynchee. In case of a tie a no lynch will occur.
Sweet Oblivion: The would be lynchee’s votes are set to zero and the hammering person’s votes are set to L-1
Reversible Time Screw: Each vote counts as half a vote for the remainder of the day. The first person to realize this mechanic may reverse this effect by telling me directly to end it.

Confirmations:
Chaco (Mafia Goon) Traitor Ability Activated Day 3; Lynched twice Day 3
Lopsidation (Strawberry Townie) Killed Night 2
TripleM (Mafia Executioner)
The Stew Boy (Doctor) Died Day 1: Necromantic Diagnosis Activated for rest of game
Someone Else (Chocolate Townie) Executed Day 3
Kwakstur (Cop) Turned Mafia Night 1
Dex Stewart (Hider)
Stigant (Strawberry Townie)
Hyperme (Vanilla Townie) Killed Day 2
Snacko (Chocolate Townie)

Day 1 Actions:
Zwetschenwasser: Sweet Oblivion (resolved)

Night 1 Actions:
Kwakstur: Investigate: Stigant (fails, due to recruitment)
Stew Boy: Vote: Lopsidation (resolves)
TripleM: Kill Kwakstur (resolves via recruitment)
Dex Stewart: Hide: Lopsidation (resolves)

Day 2 Actions:
None

Night 2 Actions:
TripleM: Kill Lopsidation (resolves)
Dex Stewart: Hide: Lopsidation (fails)
Stew Boy: Vote: Dex Stewart (resolves)
Snacko: Protect From: Kwakstur (resolves)

Day 3 Actions:
TripleM: Execute: Someone Else (resolves without revelation)
Chaco: Unlynch (resolves with revelation)
Kwakstur: Web of Lies: Chaco quote (resolves)

Mafia Win, by endgaming of the three townies.

02-21-2009 at 01:40 AM
TripleM
So it was The Stew Boy casting that anonymous vote after all.

stigant wrote:
This seems to mesh with what TripleM said. HIS claimed role seems to be like the cop. He has (indirect) investigative powers via the intercepting of PMs (by the way, I actually think that's a pretty cool idea, Zed), and he can't reveal info because he will die immediately after (an interesting way to balance the added power of being able to get multiple deductions each night). If Chaco knows that TripleM can't talk about his deductions, then bluffing about being the cop is a good play.

Thanks stigant, that really made my day :D I didn't want to hold off saying anything for too long, but it was hard to think up something that would be believable.

I declared your innocence as part of my message in the hope that this would help you believe me a little more, as well as the suicide-after-reveal, which I was quite happy with. All worked out well in the end! Your argument against Chaco had even more detail than I had imagined in coming up with my message.

I was a little worried by the fact that on the second night Chaco had suggested we kill Kwakstur again, and I gave a good reason why someone else would be a better option. Luckily, Chaco failed to see the significance or mention this before you cast the deciding vote.

[edit]And thanks z. While it was a little over the top (I still think the mod should never play), there was a lot more potential for strategy than in a normal game. And I enjoyed it.

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-21-2009 10:34 AM]
02-21-2009 at 01:53 AM
zwetschenwasser
OMG! These are some crazy new role ideas! *goes off to make even crazier game* By the way, I'm currently making the setup of a new Mafia game featuring historical and mythological geniuses, without me playing, but my setup won't be done for at least a few months. So, if you'd like me to run it over here once it's done, squeak up, and in the meantime, I'd like to thank you all for putting up with this game's chaos, as you can see by the role PM's, and pledge myself to play in Dex Stewart's game, in which I will hopefully not die on the first day. Thanks for playing, and please feel free to comment on the setup/strategy/game/red bunny slippers. :) :)

02-21-2009 at 02:13 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Foul smelling? Was that really necessary? It happens when you go to Vermont.

02-21-2009 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
But you were posting in other threads.. Oh well, it helped us at least. You really had me convinced you had a really important role :P

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-21-2009 04:57 AM]
02-21-2009 at 04:42 AM
Kwakstur
zwetschenwasser wrote in the Evil Overlord role:
You may PM Kwakstur at any time during the game,
Did you add this when I asked for clarification about acronyms with my pre-conversion stutter?

Was I really the only one to ask Zed anything during the game? Really?

Boy, you lot are a real bunch of self-confident little

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-21-2009 07:39 AM]
02-21-2009 at 07:38 AM
zwetschenwasser
You are correct, Kwakstur. Snacko, the chocolate townie aura requires you to be foul-smelling. ;)

02-21-2009 at 12:34 PM
zwetschenwasser
I did PM other people to clarify things,though. ;)

02-21-2009 at 12:35 PM
stigant
I think the cop role was a little too much. Especially this ability:
Web of Lies: Once during the game, you may PM me a quote made by a player, and I will declare in the thread that the quote you selected was found to be a lie by an anonymous power role.
I think this ability would be better if someone else (actually, several other people, maybe townies whose abilities sucked compared to the other roles) had the (once daily) ability to ask the mod (who would respond with a public post) the truth of a statement. Then you can start making more sound inferences, but you still have to be wary of a (limited) number of lies from the mod. You need to know that there are more true statements than false statements to make it interesting.

As it was, with too much misinformation, there was no way for the town to reason out who to lynch, even if we ask the correct questions like "can this particular piece of information be false?"

And for the record, stigant, I was never guaranteed anything.
I don't know, it seems like you are pretty much guaranteed to end up on the winning side. The cop role is a balancing power for the town. When the mafia kills the cop early, they almost always win, when they kill him late, they almost always lose. But with your ability to switch sides, no matter when they target you, you will likely opt for switching, since no matter when you switch, it will be a huge swing for the mafia (increasing their votes, decreasing ours, PLUS costing the town the ability to search for mafia, PLUS giving them the ability to explicitly spread misinformation under the guise of absolute truth). If they never kill you, then the town wins, and you never switch sides, so you win again. That's pretty much a moot point, though, since it wasn't very difficult for you to make the mafia suspicious of you right at the beginning despite not being able to explicitly mention your role.
You: "I'm scared because I have all this information <yada> <yada> <yada>"
Mafia: "Gee, that guy who we know isn't on our side seems to be really well informed... who should we whack first?" <whack>
You: "Thanks guys, I think I'll join you"
Mafia: "Awesome... we have the game pretty much locked up. By the way, if/when someone comes out as a traitor, you can just make it look like they're lying"

Last game we had nothing to use to make deductions. That sucked because we couldn't do ANY reasoning, sound or otherwise. This game we had more information, but it was all wrong, and we had no reason to believe that ALL of it was wrong. It's fine to have some misinformation (actually, it's necessary to make the game even remotely work), but without us having any reason to think that ALL of it might be wrong, we're just going to get blindsided. It's like Monkey (the mod) saying last time "I could have really mind-sporked everybody." Well of course you could have, you're the mod. But what would be the point?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game much more than the last one. And I think there were plenty of interesting twists. And I'm not bitter about losing. I just feel like the town put in a genuine effort to make reasonable deductions, but we ended up walking around in circles with paper bags over our heads while the mafia hit us with baseball bats.

Also, we need to have some sort of idea about the actual structure of the game. Half the powers that were used, I'd never heard of before (not just the names of the powers, but the actual abilities themselves). When the mod executes "Web of Lies" and I've never even seen "Lie Detector" before, how can I have any reasonable chance at winning?

I guess what I'm saying is that while I don't mind losing, I want to know what we as the town could have done better or differently. What mistake did I make? If I lose and never made a mistake then there's something wrong with the game. Or, alternatively, if the other side is incapable of making a mistake, then there's something wrong as well.

02-21-2009 at 09:08 PM
zwetschenwasser
You trusted Kwakstur and didn't listen that I actually explicitly confirmed that Chaco was pro-town (although I worded it a little poorly... sorry Chaco). I gave Kwakstur a post restriction to balance his powers: 1)many times a post restriction makes the players less of a kill target because of their hindered ability to contribute to the day phase, and 2)many times the town views people with post restrictions as suspicious. And Kwakstur couldn't have won both ways. He could only win with mafia, even if he was killed before he turned bad.

02-21-2009 at 09:20 PM
zwetschenwasser
And I don't see what's so horrible with adding new abilities to this game. Execution and Lie Detector are abilities seen in other games, and most of the other ones were my own creation (although Web of Lies was derived from the Lie Detector ability).

02-21-2009 at 09:21 PM
TripleM
I actually think the game was biased towards the town; after discovering that Chaco wasn't a Mafia I thought we had no hope.

Basically, due to Chaco's ability, I was always meant to die (except that luckily for me it happened late enough for me to come up with an excuse), and that would have left the Mafia with 1 member for the remainder of the game. The chances Kwakstur wouldn't have been lynched are pretty low.
02-21-2009 at 10:33 PM
Kwakstur
With all due respect, stigant, you're overestimating my abilities and the mafia's chance of success, both. I am not by any standard a cop. That was only my title. There was no real cop in this game (but Chaco was the closest thing).
I was the Traitor Cop.

First of all, I was never Town-Aligned. I was always Mafia-aligned, even before I joined them.

My prime objective was to first get targeted by the Mafia, and this was the hardest thing my role had to accomplish (luckily, day 1 turned out fantastic for me). Were the Doctor to go insane on me before then, I would become useless; a mafia-aligned player who could do little to help the mafia. Of course, I also had to avoid getting lynched, which is difficult to do when commanding such attention.
In fact, reading the other role PMs, I see that, had I not been able to join the Mafia, the Mafia and I would have lost, because TripleM and I were the only two Mafia-aligned players in the game, and TripleM could not have survived on his own, with his only partner, Chaco, being a traitor to him.

1) Remember when TripleM saved himself by using Mafia Execution to make it look like he was framed? He probably wouldn't have risked the 50/50 chance of being revealed by the ability if he and Chaco were the only two Mafia members.
2) Even if TripleM made it past that point, could he alone have stopped Chaco when he told him off? I think that he would've just given up, being a one-man party already exposed.

Had I not been able to join the Mafia, we would have lost. Guaranteed.

Also, you're reading too much into my abilities. Other than, of course, Mafia Traitor, the only ability I had that could be used to help my cause was Web of Lies.

Mind you, though I was by title the Cop, my investigations were a joke.
1) They told nothing. They had a 50/50 chance of being wrong, as far as I understand.
2) I couldn't actually say that I investigated anyone because I could not claim the Cop role unless I had to. I couldn't claim any other role, either.
3) They served no purpose. Why would I need investigative powers if I'm mafia-aligned? Once I join the Mafia, I already know my partners, and it's not like knowing my partners beforehand would be any help.

And what do you mean by all of the information you had was wrong? For the record, everything Chaco told in his last moments was true. So was everything zwetschenwasser told (except for when I used Web of Lies on Chaco's statement about gaining investigative powers).

You had a lot of true stuff to go on. You chose instead to believe the two things that were false: TripleM's brilliant defense and the statement provided by my Web of Lies ability.

And you really surprised us when you did so, because things were really looking grim.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-22-2009 01:01 AM]
02-22-2009 at 12:44 AM
zwetschenwasser
Just to clarify, anything that says "Mod Notes" in the setup was not revealed to the players. TripleM did not know his ability had a 50/50 chance of revealing him.

02-22-2009 at 01:00 AM
<<4567
Page 8 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia Terce (Prepare for madness...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com