Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Any reason to keep JtRH application file?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Uniquity
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Any reason to keep JtRH application file? (0)  
So I've bought TCB and JtRH at the same time, and on playing TCB I found out I could download JtRH through CaravelNet. That led to a couple of questions:

* Could I only download that because I'd paid for and registered JtRH separately? (I notice I couldn't download KDD for example)
* Is there any reason for me to keep the JtRH application?

[Last edited by Uniquity at 12-26-2008 04:53 PM]
12-26-2008 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Any reason to keep JtRH executable? (+1)  
* Could I only download that because I'd paid for and registered JtRH separately? (I notice I couldn't download KDD for example)

As far as I know, yes.

* Is there any reason for me to keep the JtRH executable?

appart from the different music, I can't think of any reason why you should keep it executable.

12-26-2008 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Any reason to keep JtRH application file? (+1)  
The executable is small, but if you want to delete it, be our guest.

But if you plan to delete the other files (namely data.dat), you might want to wait. This great tool will let you export JtRH's music for use in TCB. Then you can throw away the entire JtRH folder if you want.

Otherwise, TCB has full backwards compatability with JtRH, and so once you get JtRH's music into TCB, the experience of playing a JtRH hold will be exactly the same in JtRH and TCB.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-26-2008 08:27 PM]
12-26-2008 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5059
I'll provide the official voice for the question about download permissions:

You can see JtRH as a downloadable hold in TCB because you have CaravelNet and have also registered JtRH to your user account.

The JtRH version for download has a few aesthetic improvements over the 2.0 version to take advantage of the 3.0 engine without changing any puzzles or story. As said above, you might want to play JtRH with the 2.0 music, or embed it into 3.0. I myself also like the JtRH title screen map and chant on startup, so I don't mind playing that version.

Maybe we'll upgrade the KDD and JtRH games to natively use the 3.0 engine one of these days, between projects. That might be something players would appreciate.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-26-2008 08:34 PM]
12-26-2008 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Uniquity
icon Re: Any reason to keep JtRH application file? (0)  
Thanks. In the end I renamed Drod to DROD-JtRH, and Drod-TCB to DROD. This means I still have both versions available but now the default for Apple-Space->DROD is the new version (I didn't mention I have a Mac but it didn't matter)

I quickly overcame my previous JtRH progress in the downloaded-via-TCB hold, so this question never came up, but would there have been any way to transfer progress between the two? Just thinking in case anyone else had the same question.

I'm having [some kind of] fun on JtRH Level Seven at the moment, we'll see how long that lasts...
12-27-2008 at 02:53 AM
Uniquity
icon Re: Any reason to keep JtRH application file? (0)  
One final question, I'm sure this is pretty obvious but I'd feel stupid if I'm wrong...

I won't lose my CaravelNet downloaded holds when my CaravelNet subscription expires, will I?
12-27-2008 at 02:55 AM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
Uniquity wrote:
I won't lose my CaravelNet downloaded holds when my CaravelNet subscription expires, will I?

Nope! Not even the Smitemasters' Selections you may or may not have downloaded from the Caravel server.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-27-2008 03:05 AM]
12-27-2008 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Uniquity wrote: I quickly overcame my previous JtRH progress in the downloaded-via-TCB hold, so this question never came up, but would there have been any way to transfer progress between the two? Just thinking in case anyone else had the same question.
Transferring data would've been easy. Just export your player from JtRH (on the Change Player dialog) and import the .player file into TCB, and then play with that file; the .player file will be compatible with TCB, no worries there, and better yet the players will have the same ID, meaning that you can easily synchronize them (if you want to) by exporting to and fro; when you import a player file into a game already with a player with that ID, the progress in the two files will be "added" together intuitively.

But I'm assuming that the JtRH hold on CaravelNet has the same Hold ID as the one installed in JtRH itself; when importing player files, DROD only imports the progress for holds that appear to be imported. So if the two versions of JtRH are regarded to be different holds, then it wouldn't work out.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-27-2008 04:50 AM]
12-27-2008 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Any reason to keep JtRH application file?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com