Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
shaf
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (0)  
Lamkin wrote:
shaf wrote:
Is there a specific sequence to killing the [mud] Babies?
Click here to view the secret text

For starters, try...

OK If I leave 4 mud babies then I cannot open the gate(13,14) at the right top to lower the large block (1,7 to 1,10) at the middle left. the trouble is no matter what I do the Block at 3,3 still stays up.

[Last edited by shaf at 09-20-2010 09:46 PM : changed some Block coordinates]
09-20-2010 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
Aargh. I left out what I thought was an obvious (though I can see now how it wouldn't be obvious) last step, which is that you'll need to...

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-20-2010 11:11 PM]
09-20-2010 at 10:13 PM
shaf
Lamkin wrote:
Aargh. I left out what I thought was an obvious (though I can see now how it wouldn't be obvious) last step, which is that you'll need to...

That Makes sense but how do I set off the Bomb at 10,1 if I can't get to the fuse end at 5,14 without going through the gates at 3,3 first. It appears there's a hidden wall section I've missed.

09-20-2010 at 11:29 PM
Lamkin
shaf wrote:
[H]ow do I set off the Bomb at 10,1 if I can't get to the fuse end at 5,14 without going through the gates at 3,3 first.
Hmm...

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-21-2010 02:45 AM]
09-21-2010 at 02:04 AM
shaf
Fifth Level 2N1E

That was a tough puzzle, it took a while to figure the correct tile
Jumping sequence.

09-22-2010 at 04:43 PM
shaf
Fifth Level 2N
Is there a way to completely clear the room, the best I've been able to do is 2 tiles not removed?
I've also noticed when using the hook to jump diagonally all tiles in the path are removed.I'd expect since you don't touch the center tile it wouldn't be removed.
Example:
1xx
x2x
xx3
Jumping Diagonally from 1 to 3 should not remove 2.

[Last edited by shaf at 09-29-2010 01:55 AM : Clarification]
09-29-2010 at 01:51 AM
Lamkin
shaf wrote:
Is there a way to completely clear the room, the best I've been able to do is 2 tiles not removed?
Yes.
But, if you try again and still can't manage it, my solution was:

Sorry that that's so long, but there aren't any demos for RPG.
shaf wrote:
I've also noticed when using the hook to jump diagonally all tiles in the path are removed.I'd expect since you don't touch the center tile it wouldn't be removed.
Well, with the grappling hook you won't be able to jump across any tile that can be stepped upon. So the tile is removed because you're not jumping across that center tile—you're stepping upon that center tile, which in this case is, of course, a trapdoor, so it's going to drop.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-29-2010 05:18 AM]
09-29-2010 at 03:58 AM
shaf
I'd like to thank Lamkin for all the help on some of the more difficult puzzles.

Here are some of my comments on the Excellent "Fetch the Pie"
- good selection of Puzzles although sometimes the rewards are not worth the effort.

First Level - need more ATK starting or a better sword to be able to kill the Baby roaches. Too much running around to get the ATK, possibly a hidden area with a Wooden sword to kill the Spawning Roaches in the Ormite area - Room 2S1W.

Fourth Level - Room 3S7E only items are Medium Health potion and 1 Yellow Key, not worth the effort of Killing the 2 Eyes.
Room 1W - Cannot get into Northern room without Briar Sword.

Fifth Level - A lot of Broken walls that seem to have no purpose in the following rooms 2E, 1S2E, 1S1W.

Sixth Level - Room 1N2W once the room is finished can't go back since no way to Reopen Gate at 5,14. I was able to get the Pass keys but couldn't return to use then on Level 5. Need another Switch to open the gate.

Due the the vast amount of Water areas on Level 5, I expect the Flippers to be hidden somewhere in the game.

There are some areas that look like they could be jumped if the hook allowed jumping 2 tiles instead of 1.

[Last edited by shaf at 10-02-2010 06:18 PM : Added comment about flippers]
10-02-2010 at 06:12 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
shaf wrote:
Too much running around to get the ATK, possibly a hidden area with a Wooden sword to kill the Spawning Roaches in the Ormite area - Room 2S1W.
The entire point of First Level 2S1W in my opinion is that you're not supposed to spawn so many roach eggs that you would want to kill them - that's what the oremites are for, and also why this room gets sealed off before the player can go to level 2.

Fourth Level Room 1W - Cannot get into Northern room without Briar Sword.
You can get into 1N1W without the briar hacker - you just have to not let the briar destroy the orb near it, which means you have to solve the room by killing either 1 mud baby or 0 mud babies. The briar is a constraint on the puzzle solution.

Fifth Level - A lot of Broken walls that seem to have no purpose in the following rooms 2E, 1S2E, 1S1W.
Aesthetic purpose. You'll note that none of them are reachable, intentionally so. In addition, the change in background in 2E and 1S2E is supposed to represent a change in elevation since the insides of the walls are different.

Sixth Level - Room 1N2W once the room is finished can't go back since no way to Reopen Gate at 5,14. I was able to get the Pass keys but couldn't return to use then on Level 5. Need another Switch to open the gate.
This is an already voiced issue - you're supposed to get through the room without closing that door. The next released version will add another door at (15, 9) that also closes when that door closes, so that you're trapped in the room if you close that door, and makes it more obvious you've done something wrong with the puzzle.

Having the player find out they're trapped after completing an entire level because of something they did at the beginning of the level is too cruel a design decision for me to make, so I am definitely fixing this one.

There are some areas that look like they could be jumped if the hook allowed jumping 2 tiles instead of 1.
And there are some other areas that could be jumped if the hook allowed jumping 4 tiles instead of 1 or 2.

The 1-tile restriction is part of the pre-defined accessory, and I'm using this accessory to tell the player, "this grappling hook is exactly the same as the grappling hook in Tendry's Tale, and any other default grappling hooks you find in any other holds". That means 1-square jumping.

===

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but I am trying to tell you the reasoning behind some of the design decisions that are pointed out here.

Unfortunately it's way too late in the game to change level 1 since any change there would have an impact on all subsequent levels, and the level was considered well-balanced by several testers when it was constructed.

If you have any other comments regarding the hold, its difficulty curve or its layout, I'd be glad to hear them.

==

Obviously, due to the fact that I am in college, development is proceeding slower on Fetch the Pie. I am still working on the hold, though. The next update isn't going to finish the hold, but rather get us to the beginning of the final level - that way, you guys still get a new update with new content without having to wait for me to actually finish the hold. I don't know when the next update will be, but don't expect it soon... probably early November at the earliest. But it's better than waiting until Christmas for the hold to be finished.

Please feel free to give me more commentary, everyone. If someone tells me something needs fixing and I agree (which is a far lower threshold than I may have portrayed here), I will get around to fixing it. I want this to be a really good hold, to somewhat justify the amount of time I've spent working on it.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-02-2010 06:50 PM]
10-02-2010 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
shaf
Thanks for the hint on 1N1W I was always killing all the Tar, I'll try it leaving the tar babies alone.

I still haven't thoroughly gone through all the rooms Levels 7 and 8. I remember one room with Tiles, a few Tar Babies and fuses giving me problems but I was able to ignore the room to continue on.
10-03-2010 at 02:00 AM
Chaco
icon December 5th, 2010 FtP Update (0)  
Fetch the Pie has been updated again!

--

Most importantly, this hold has a new ID compared with the older versions. You can't import progress from the older version and you have to start the hold over from the beginning. This is because I made some changes to some rooms in levels 6 and 7 to create shortcuts, and some other changes (including making the infamous Sixth Level 1N2W more fair) and I don't want quirks in room state loading to create problems. So this new version makes sure all rooms are loaded fresh and as intended.

--

The infamous Second Interlude 2S has been replaced with a new puzzle that gives the same number of greckles, but shouldn't cause any bugs on anyone's machines.

There's some new rooms on levels 7, 8, and a new level 9.

As promised, this includes content up to a point just before the final level of the hold.

I probably won't be including any sort of third interlude, mostly because I don't have any particularly good ideas for one right now and I'm not sure how I would fit it in in-universe (diegetically).

--

There are two new custom monsters I've programmed into the hold that should be interesting to deal with.

--

The boss at the end of the ninth level sadly is not going to be very interesting to fight. I was going to script it to be a more interesting combat but I couldn't get anything fun or interesting, and it was the last thing holding up release of the hold. So I'm just publishing what I have, and if I manage to solve the problem I might replace the boss fight.

--

As always, let me know what you think!

--

I probably won't be able to continue working on this until January, in between college semesters. Hopefully I can finish it off then and not have to continue working on it through February, but I'll see when the time comes.

12-06-2010 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well after a good deal of optimization I got to level six. I'm not very good at RPG holds, but I wanted to let you know that someone was playing.
02-18-2011 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+1)  
Thanks, Ezlo.

Yeah, development of this is pretty much on suspension until I can finish the project I'm working on currently so that the aforementioned auditions can occur. But I haven't forgotten; on the contrary I actually already have some progress on Level 10.

I have some preliminary boss fight logic working too but I still need to fix it so it's more fun. I can post what I have so far if anyone wants to see this stuff in an unfinished state.

02-18-2011 at 09:19 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I think I'll be playing through this again rather soon. Getting a job really messed up my DROD playing time.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-19-2011 06:08 AM]
02-19-2011 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Von Wibble
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
I have been playing this hold for a bit and am really enjoying it! However, I have got to a point where I am stuck.

For the Second Interlude,3S 1W I can't see how to get all of the greckles.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

[Last edited by Von Wibble at 06-18-2011 07:02 PM]
06-18-2011 at 07:02 PM
Von Wibble
Rank Points: 35
Never mind - I worked it out

For anyone who does get stuck, here's a hint

06-19-2011 at 11:34 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
OK I have been playing awhile having fun but now I am at the adder and have no idea how to get here with enough HP.

Currently I have 198 HP, 405 ATK, 90 DEF and NO keys. I have restarted a number of times and got that 1200 left over when I entered the 6th level. There is almost no more HP to go after even if I had keys.

Another Question:
What am I missing in Level 8 4S10W, is there really anyway to get those keys?

[Last edited by techant at 08-11-2011 07:59 AM]
08-07-2011 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
techant wrote:
OK I have been playing awhile having fun but now I am at the adder and have no idea how to get here with enough HP.

Currently I have 198 HP, 405 ATK, 90 DEF and NO keys. I have restarted a number of times and got that 1200 left over when I entered the 6th level. There is almost no more HP to go after even if I had keys.

You might want to restore back a level or two and try and play through a bit more efficiently, because it seems like you're seriously deficient in both ATK and keys if you want to beat the adder. I ended up eventually beating the adder with an ATK of 466, a DEF of 100 and 3368 HP, which makes the fight much more reasonable.

For reference, I was able to achieve 400 ATK and have a yellow key and a green key before I ever went across the bridge to the western half of Level 8.

If you can get to ATK checkpoints such as 380 ATK relatively early, you can kill gel babies in one hit, which, if you've been careful about which to leave alive and which to kill, can get you a lot of free stuff once you hit that number.

I can't stress it enough - it is incredibly important to get your ATK as high as you can get away with in this hold. ATK increases can massively pay off later when it becomes more reasonable to get keys and stay afloat in that department, especially since in almost every level in the hold, there's a room where I intend the player to spend keys rather than fight monsters.

Another Question:
What am I missing in Level 8 4S10W, is there really anyway to get those keys?

If you mean the two green keys which are under Beetle Queens, there is. You'll notice that both of the pressure plates the queens are standing on *toggle* the black door at the end of the hallway - so if you kill both of them and get both of the green keys in one go, you can escape.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-16-2011 05:47 PM]
08-16-2011 at 05:46 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Chaco,

This is the most amazing thing ever.

This is better than any other RPG hold, even Tendry's Tale.

Please finish it.

-Sincerely
Everyone

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 11-06-2011 12:18 AM]
11-06-2011 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
The "Patrol Eye" monster seems bugged. Every time I make a move in a room with patrol eyes, I get a line added into the .err, and a beep. Plus, staying in the room sometimes causes slowness. I have no idea what the problem is with it though.
Well, I'm not sure what the problem is either, then. Could you post the .err line in the thread?

Please finish the hold.
Uh, well, I'm probably not going to be able to do that right this instant, what with the amount of work on my schedule for my college classes. But do please remind me in January and I might take a look at the hold again and my notes and get some more work done on it.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-06-2011 11:15 AM]
11-06-2011 at 11:15 AM
12th Archivist
12th Archivist wrote:
Chaco,

Please finish it.

-Sincerely
Everyone

03-29-2012 at 04:12 AM
Chaco
I'll be working on it this summer!

It'll be done when it's finished. ;)

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-29-2012 04:26 AM]
03-29-2012 at 04:26 AM
lyon
Rank Points: 13
I reach the level nine after lots of trials and errors but can't with it, the monsters do too damage:~( . ( i will try since the 2º part of eight level ).
It was very fun play this hold :) .

05-14-2012 at 11:50 AM
12th Archivist
12th Archivist wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
Chaco,

Please finish it.

-Sincerely
Everyone

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 01-04-2014 03:14 AM]
12-02-2012 at 05:44 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
I've recently started playing this hold and I'm really really having a good time! Up to now I arrived at the final room of level 3 but I failed so I must re-play it (any hints?), it's not super-hard but it's not easy.
After playing these levels I have two questions:
1) On level 1 2S1W once you press the plate is there any way to arrive in the secret room or I lost it forever?
2) At the end of level 2 you can try the level interlude; why would you put the force arrows? I mean once I enter that level I cannot go back to level 2 until I end the level, is this really necessary?
About aesthetics and story I really like it, I agree with 12th Archivist, it would be really cool if you continue with this great RPG hold!

12-04-2012 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
I don't believe there's any way to get into those rooms subsequently. It's possible there's a personal orb I haven't found or just don't remember, but you're unlikely to want to use it here. It's not that hard to get into the secret room before stepping on the plate.

The force arrows are there so you can't bring any of the bombs out of the interlude.

Red-XIII wrote:
I've recently started playing this hold and I'm really really having a good time! Up to now I arrived at the final room of level 3 but I failed so I must re-play it (any hints?), it's not super-hard but it's not easy.
After playing these levels I have two questions:
1) On level 1 2S1W once you press the plate is there any way to arrive in the secret room or I lost it forever?
2) At the end of level 2 you can try the level interlude; why would you put the force arrows? I mean once I enter that level I cannot go back to level 2 until I end the level, is this really necessary?
About aesthetics and story I really like it, I agree with 12th Archivist, it would be really cool if you continue with this great RPG hold!
12-04-2012 at 06:57 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Now I got it, thanks!

12-04-2012 at 07:26 PM
Chaco
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+3)  
Yeah, it really is. All I can say is that I'm still working on it and I'll post an update when I've got enough material to post an update.

I am finishing this thing. It's getting done.

01-04-2014 at 05:43 AM
Midootje
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+2)  
Oh, Chaco, it's great that you're working on this masterpiece again. I found one tiny flaw though: the inventory slot in Seventh Level: 3S doesn't work. Which is quite annoying because you have to go all the way back to the Fifth Level for the next closest one. So if you'd change it in your upcoming version that'd be great. :)
Edit: Also, I'd consider changing Fifth Level: 5S. The ATK rewards are all worth it IMO, but there's no way anyone would ever pay 3 yellows and a load of HP for a 600 HP potion. Maybe just take them away or change them.

[Last edited by Midootje at 01-09-2014 12:04 AM]
01-08-2014 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158

File: Fetch the pie notes.txt (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+2)  
I conquered this version some months ago. Overall is a excellent hold. The levels 7/8 are really hard IMO. I still can skip the cave fegundo fight. With the grappling hook and no sword.

I will attach some notes I did two-three months ago, after end the hold.
01-13-2014 at 07:14 PM
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com