Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD film festival 2008 (Our contest for september.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon DROD film festival 2008 (+3)  
Long ago in ye mists of time, a movie was made. It was a crude, awkward movie. Surprisingly, it didn’t have the camera shakes, or poor acting skills that are traditionally associated with amateur footage. Interestingly, the camera didn’t pan, didn’t move at all, but took side by side shots in a top down view. This movie was not alone. There were many movies of this type, some good, some bad, some quick, some long, all united in particular artistic style. These movies were by no means Oscar winners, and they never featured in a cinema, but they were never meant to be. They were a symbol of passion arising from the hearts and minds of the makers, to unite themselves in their love of the art, in the love of DROD.

So why not do it again?

DROD Film Festival 2008
For those of you who have been around long enough, you might recall that back in 2005 Erik held a machinima (movie/film/video clip made in a game engine) contest. The rules were simple... Ok, I lie, he had quite a complex system, but then he boiled it down, and extracted the contents and it was simple. As such, this contest will be simple.

The rules are as follows:

-Design a non interactive (play buttons exempted) hold featuring a heck of a lot of cutscenes.

-Story and characters are recommended.

-Must be longer than a minute, and no longer than 5 minutes. The latter is for your own sanity.

-You can make the hold file that will run the cutscene, or you can borrow somebody else’s, or you can create a .demo file of each room (just remember to clearly mark the order in which to run the demo files). Personally, the cutscene method is recommended, but it is your own choice.

-Remember to respect copyright. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use any media such as pictures, sound (although voice acting is a bit ambitious) or even movies, but make sure you can use them first. Same goes with the hold files.

-When you’ve finished your display, submit your file here.

-Provided that it is in a cutscene/demo, and abides by the rules, I really don't care what you do. That includes using real mosters and such things.

Teamwork
Considering that this is a two month contest, and that any one person can only collect one prize from the prize pile, there is now added incentive to work in teams. If you don't want to work in a team, you can gift the other pick from the prize pile to someone other than you.

Timing
-Submit your hold sometime before Local Time:10-24-2008 at 01:00 PM, which is in negative 808 weeks, 6 days

Voting
Voting will take place on aesthetics (how good it looked), polish (how smoothly it ran), presentation (how well it was presented/laid out. Not to be confused with aesthetics) and entertainment value.

Prizes
First prize will receive two prizes from the prize pile and 200 rank points. Note that one person can only receive one prize from the prize pile. First prize can also pick one art asset(basically any drawing in the game) from the game to be released under creative commons share alike non profit. Which means that it is free for anyone to use as they like, provided they share it and don't profit from it.
Second prize will receive 100 rank points
Third prize will receive 50 rank points.

Tips
-Don’t box yourself into the usual, ‘must come up with story, characters and plot twists’. Plot twists have long been standard you’ll probably surprise people more by not having them. (unless, of course, you have a highly original one that stuns the world). You could create an artistic masterpiece that doesn’t involve a story, or you could tell a story without characters. Or you could do extreme DROD sports or something crazy.

- If you are having technical trouble, don’t hesitate to post in this thread.

So what are you planning to do?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-22-2008 01:47 AM]
09-04-2008 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: DROD film festival (+2)  
Count me in...I am thinking plot lines already:hmmm:.. :swordfight: :tumbleweed:
maybe living so close to Hollywood has affected me.... :yahoo:

Actors waiting in-line outside my door:
:rock :cigar :icecream :oldtimer :wolverine :pirate :cowboy :cap :mario :king :snorkle :evo :party :hannibal :fun

[Last edited by techant at 09-05-2008 05:31 AM]
09-05-2008 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: DROD film festival (+1)  
Count me in, too.

One question though - can I have rooms with REAL monsters? It'll not be required to kill them, I just need rock giant for the cutscene and there's no rock giant as NPC...
09-06-2008 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: DROD film festival (0)  
oh, you can have as many real monsters as you like, you can do whatever you like in the cutscenes, it's just outside the cutscenes that matters.
09-06-2008 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'll announce my intention to enter this contest. While I was voted winner of the award for Storyline Excellence in the previous People's Choice Awards for my hold Terrakept Resonant, I think this contest will give me a chance to really show off a good story with an intriguing plotline.

(I'm hoping the happy furor surrounding DROD: RPG's release will have subsided a little bit by the time this contest's submission period wraps up. That way everyone will be a bit less excited and panicky and we can go watch some movies in a civilized manner without being worried about being the first person to finish the official DROD RPG hold :) )

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-11-2008 03:12 AM : properly cited the thread]
09-11-2008 at 03:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
When playing a hold for this contest, is all a player has to do is move from room to room and watch cutscenes, or can there be some gameplay on part of the player?
09-14-2008 at 01:07 AM
NiroZ
Hmmm, seems like my little contest has been wiped out by the DROD RPG. Not that I'm particularly complaining, considering how much I enjoyed it.
09-20-2008 at 12:37 AM
NiroZ
No gameplay whatsoever, just moving from room to room, or better yet, just stating the cutscene.

Sorry for the late reply. :blush
09-20-2008 at 12:38 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
NiroZ wrote:
Hmmm, seems like my little contest has been wiped out by the DROD RPG. Not that I'm particularly complaining, considering how much I enjoyed it.
My sympathies. I think the only way you can pull off a contest during either Christmas or a Caravel release is to make the contest very short and easy to enter. Actually, Christmas is a piece of cake in comparison.

Maybe you want to extend the deadline for the contest to finish next month? I wasn't going to enter the contest, but I was hoping to watch some entries.

-Erik

09-20-2008 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
I am still planning to enter, but I could use some more time myself. It would be good to hear if anyone else is planning to enter.

Oh Erik, while your here, how about adding the new RPG full version to the Prize Pile, (as a downloadable version).? I think that would bring players in. :yes

09-21-2008 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
techant wrote:
Oh Erik, while your here, how about adding the new RPG full version to the Prize Pile, (as a downloadable version).? I think that would bring players in. :yes
Mike added it!

-Erik

09-21-2008 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Yah..HOO..Weeeeee!!!! :thumbsup :bounce :8bounce :group

09-21-2008 at 03:54 AM
NiroZ
ErikH2000 wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
My sympathies. I think the only way you can pull off a contest during either Christmas or a Caravel release is to make the contest very short and easy to enter. Actually, Christmas is a piece of cake in comparison.

Maybe you want to extend the deadline for the contest to finish next month? I wasn't going to enter the contest, but I was hoping to watch some entries.

-Erik
Ideally I'd put this contest on a 2 month haitus, run a quick and easy contest this month and and a DROD RPG contest next month, and then get back to it in November. Problem is, I don't have a easy contest as backup. So yeah, I'll probably just make this a two month contest, stack everything up. Hmmm, maybe I can add something extra as well. Hmmmm. :P
09-21-2008 at 06:44 AM
techant
Thanks for being flexable. I really didn't want to end my contest streak.

09-21-2008 at 10:21 AM
NiroZ
icon Re: DROD film festival 2008 (0)  
Ok, new rules

Double up of prizes, first place gets two picks from the prize pile BUT only one person per pick. This is to encourage teamwork. However, if your not working in a team, you can always gift that 2nd prize to someone other than you.

Release of a caravel graphic! I've talked with mrimer and he has agreed to let the winner (or winners) to pick a single graphic/art asset from the game to be released under creative commons license share alike non profit, which means you must share any edits of that creation, and your not allowed to profit from it.
09-22-2008 at 01:51 AM
NiroZ
:huh
Normally when I get modded down, I just shrug it off. But considering that it is a contest and I'm always trying to please the silent majority, I'm curious as to what spurred the downmod.
09-23-2008 at 05:04 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Weird. I'm guessing that some vigilante doesn't want any Caravel assets released to the masses. Ah, well. There's nothing they can do to stop me. :P

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-23-2008 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
I MOD'ed you up. I like the idea now I just have to find a partner...

AD..
I have a great scripting idea but need a good puzzle maker...
Applications being accepted..PM me.

09-24-2008 at 03:41 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:
I MOD'ed you up. I like the idea now I just have to find a partner...
Thanks. I think I'll just assume some misclicked and didn't have enough modpoints to correct it.

Also, anyone who wants to team up, the architecture board is a good place to look.
09-24-2008 at 06:44 AM
techant
Job filled.

09-24-2008 at 08:50 AM
nabla
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
icon Re: DROD film festival 2008 (+1)  
I'm writing my script right now and I was wondering if some swearing is ok or if I have to stick to network television vocabulary.
09-28-2008 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
nabla wrote:
I'm writing my script right now and I was wondering if some swearing is ok or if I have to stick to network television vocabulary.
Here is a list of "eighthized profanity" that we allow in DROD holds.
09-28-2008 at 12:34 AM
nabla
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
nabla wrote:
Here is a list of "eighthized profanity" that we allow in DROD holds.

Thanks, CSR, it sure was interesting reading, but I am afraid I can't use those, as my story is not set in the Eighth, and those expressions wouldn't do the credibility of my characters any good.

EDIT: So, does that mean, DROD's rules are even stricter than network television's? Am I not even allowed to use words like "damn"? That would really be a big constraint.

[Last edited by nabla at 09-28-2008 12:54 AM]
09-28-2008 at 12:47 AM
NiroZ
I wouldn't have any problem with damn, but yeah, try to keep it to a TV vocabulary.
09-28-2008 at 02:56 AM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
If it's a country-western plot, try "dag nabbit!" :yahoo:

Just kidding. :blush

09-28-2008 at 05:15 PM
nabla
NiroZ wrote:
-Must be longer than a minute, and no longer than 5 minutes. The latter is for your own sanity.

I've been working on my entry for the last few days, and it's well over 5 minutues, but less than ten. The last film contest had a 15 minutes limit, so I hope that that's ok (by now my sanity is gone anyway and I don't see an easy way to make it any shorter).

Also, since English is not my first language, I would appreciate if somebody would volunteer to read my script and check it for errors and credibility. I would hate to invest that much time and then have people say that my characters talk like a bunch of foreign idiots.
09-30-2008 at 01:27 PM
NiroZ
nabla, unless you can make a case for why I should extend the time limit, I can't just change the rules just for you.
09-30-2008 at 01:42 PM
nabla
NiroZ wrote:
nabla, unless you can make a case for why I should extend the time limit, I can't just change the rules just for you.

Ah really? The sanity part sounded like the 5 minutes were just an arbitrary value that could be talked about. And I certainly don't want you to change the rules just for me, I want you to change them for everybody.

I'll PM you.

EDIT: I'll email you.

EDIT: Sent.

[Last edited by nabla at 09-30-2008 02:14 PM]
09-30-2008 at 01:50 PM
NiroZ
I'm still considering this, but it's important that I know. Is anyone else having a problem with the time limit?
09-30-2008 at 03:48 PM
nabla
NiroZ wrote:
I'm still considering this, but it's important that I know. Is anyone else having a problem with the time limit?

Actually I just noticed, once finished, my entry will stay just below 5 minutes; I miscalculated before, sorry about that.

Nevertheless I'm against the 5 minute limit, because I'm looking forward to seeing some interesting entries, and I guess the less constraints, the better for creativity.
09-30-2008 at 04:47 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD film festival 2008 (Our contest for september.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com