Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What I'm up to these days.
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon What I'm up to these days. (+3)  
Some folks have noticed I've gone missing for a bit. In short, I just felt like I needed a break from DROD, Caravel, and making games in general. Its been nagging at me for a long time that the obligations of Caravel have tied me down and left me unable to do other things. Try spending 15 years with free time devoted to the same thing, and you'll feel that way too.

I've shifted responsibility and ownership of Caravel over to Mike Rimer. He's running the show now. I'm still helping him out with things, and I'll be involved with future Caravel projects, for sure. But I'm basically a civilian, like most of you. And it feels good!

For one, I am truly excited about DROD RPG. Not selling copies of it. Not reading reviews about it. Not using it as some sort of strategic stepping stone to the next thing.

Na www.

I just want to play it. I could go grab a beta build now and try it out, but I'd prefer to wait for the regular release. And I'll go buy it through Plimus like everybody else. I didn't do any work on DROD RPG and only tried it out in very early pre-alpha stages. In a way that gives me one of the best seats in the house.

Loose Ends

Deluxe boxes - I got the posters folded today. Mike put in the order for CDs to be manufactured and they should be arriving on my doorstep soon. Then posters and CDs get stuffed in the shiny boxes, and finally... FINALLY... we will send out the thank you gift to TCB contributors, and of course, the people who recently bought deluxe boxes.

Frogs and Mice - GarageGames went a different direction with InstantAction and chose to terminate our contract. Other people got dropped too, and its not my business to talk about their portfolio strategy, but there was a general reason--nothing specific to our team or project. Mike has to decide what he wants to do with Frogs and Mice next, but the work performed by the F&M team won't be wasted. It sounds bad, but I think the GG termination is actually good news. We got to keep our milestone payments used to fund the project AND release the game as a Caravel product. What kind of Caravel product exactly? It's up to Mike. Also, all agreements made with F&M team will be honored. What agreements? If you had one, then you know what I mean.

Bureaucracy - Mike's the Tinkerer. And by the way, you've all been doing an excellent job getting along without my help. Thanks!

Syntax's Puzzle Pieces - Syntax, would you please contact me (erikh@caravelgames.com) with your current address and I will mail you the remaining puzzle pieces to Dracula's Castle. I had sent you an e-mail to verify the address ages ago, and in typical Lazy Erik fashion, forgot about it since I didn't receive a reply back.

Other loose ends? Please let me know. If it's just between you and me, then please e-mail erikh@caravelgames.com.

What am I doing these days? I'm going to go change my signature and it will pop up below this text.

-Erik

08-15-2008 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: What I'm up to these days. (+1)  
I have my ::10bux:: on 'not releasing 2D games'.

So should you.
08-15-2008 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: What I'm up to these days. (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
I have my ::10bux:: on 'not releasing 2D games'.
I won't tell you if you're correct, but that is an excellent guess.

-Erik

08-15-2008 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: What I'm up to these days. (+2)  
That sounds like a very interesting project! I wish you well! It'll be fun to watch you interact with the board from a player perspective. I can just see you now, failing to ask permission before using Caravel graphics in a hold. Then rushing said unfinished hold to the Holds board, disregarding the HAs' suggestions. Then asking where you can download the Webfoot version.

Also! You've gotta be wary of citing your signature in a post. Say this thing falls through and in 12 months you decide to change your sig to a funny quote about a hot dog eating contest or something. Boy, that wouldn't look too good, now would it?

Cheers to moving on! :thumbsup

08-15-2008 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218

[I've tried writing something significant, important and poignant, but after many attempts, have given up]

Just want to say:
I thank you for all you have done
08-15-2008 at 07:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Hey Erik,

Let me too echo the sentiment of thanks for everything you've done - I still remember the day you asked me to join the JtRH team as a very exciting day, and it's been great fun working with you and the Caravel team ever since. It won't be the same without you.

08-15-2008 at 09:28 AM
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Being a normal person isn't that bad, right? Being free on weekends and watching the weather channel.

I'm glad you got to try it!

08-15-2008 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Thanks for this great game series you made called DROD! I wish you the best with your newly acquired free time and your new project.

Interesting project you got there BTW, I'd love to see if it's actually gonna work. :)

(Mike, congrats with your new position.)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 08-15-2008 02:47 PM]
08-15-2008 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
It's nice to see you've made a decision that makes you feel better, Erik.

While you're catching up on things, I'd like to at least point you towards Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom, the Smitemasters' Selection that was released recently. I'm sure you already know about most of it, but on the off chance that you don't, it would be a good idea for you to know what direction the canon is going in :)

08-15-2008 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Banjooie wrote:
::10bux::
I see what you did there.

Oh, and good luck with your new decision, Erik and Mr. Rimer. ;)

08-15-2008 at 03:45 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: What I'm up to these days. (-1)  
Did i get it right? Mike owns Caravel? Who is next, Danforth?
08-15-2008 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Rank Points: 27
Erik Hermansen, i hope to see your holds soon
08-15-2008 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
He has a few. I think Smallsome Swicks is one of them, but I don't remember any others.
08-15-2008 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Didn't Erik do KDD?

08-15-2008 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
13th Slayer wrote:
Did i get it right? Mike owns Caravel? Who is next, Danforth
Sounds right. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or so Mike owns Danforth outright. He might even pwn him.

++Adam H. Peterson
08-15-2008 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kyevan
Rank Points: 54
Dude, don't dis Danforth. (Or, as an abbreviation, Dudodida)

Also, yeah, I think Erik did do KDD. Which I still owe some beatings over. :P
08-15-2008 at 08:10 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
kyevan wrote:
Dude, don't dis Danforth. (Or, as an abbreviation, Dudodida)

Also, yeah, I think Erik did do KDD. Which I still owe some beatings over. :P

IIRC some of the levels were designed by Erik, and some by Lucas Swineford (sp?)

08-15-2008 at 08:44 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Erik made another hold, Down the Grimmish Hole, which is lots of fun! It's a set of aumtlich manipulation puzzles that has been sitting in Architecture forever.

Kudos for following your heart, Erik. :) Now that you're a "normal person" again, do you think you could find two seconds to push the submit button on your hold, so we could start it on its way to the Holds board?
08-15-2008 at 09:03 PM
ErikH2000
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Now that you're a "normal person" again, do you think you could find two seconds to push the submit button on your hold, so we could start it on its way to the Holds board?
Done! Thanks for the reminder.

-Erik

08-16-2008 at 12:44 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
congrats on getting to snicker at and ignore all the inane copyright questions from people too oblivious to understand "it's not your art, don't use it." I hope things go well for you in your new endeavors.

08-16-2008 at 01:51 AM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
It isnt bad to be normal guy...

Ahh.. O:-

"That was randomess:D"
08-16-2008 at 09:32 PM
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Thank you, Erik, and best wishes for your future endeavours. :)

08-17-2008 at 02:16 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I'd like to post a short message on here to say that I've really enjoyed working with Erik from the very beginning of our partnership. His creations have a unique style, wit and charm that I treasure. He has now given me the full load of Caravel's tasks to shoulder myself. It is a lot of work and Erik is welcome to return to involve himself in our team projects at any time. This is also a good time to mention that I very much appreciate everyone else's involvement in supporting the Caravel community in countless ways, both on and off the forum. Caravel couldn't do all that it does without your help.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-17-2008 10:46 PM]
08-17-2008 at 10:44 PM
Pneh
I must say that you're doing a very good job!

08-17-2008 at 10:57 PM
kyevan
Rank Points: 54
Has the Continuity of Injokes been considered? I mean... does the basement now belong to Mike, too? Is Erik just kicking everyone and everything out and sealing the entrances? Or is it all just good?

... I put too much thought into things, don't I?
08-17-2008 at 11:20 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, you do put too much thought into things. It's still Erik's basement.

08-17-2008 at 11:21 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Keep Mime Defense up,Mrimer ;)
08-18-2008 at 11:05 AM
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
Good luck with everything you do Eric.

Take time for yourself, it's really needed sometimes. I guess everyone can understand your actions.

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
08-27-2008 at 09:41 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The Architest wrote:
Keep Mime Defense up,Mrimer ;)

<offtopic>
What is the Mime Defense? I keep hearing this, but I can't find a definition anywhere on the fora.
</offtopic>

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 08-27-2008 10:54 PM]
08-27-2008 at 10:53 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Pinnacle wrote:
<offtopic>
What is the Mime Defense? I keep hearing this, but I can't find a definition anywhere on the fora.
</offtopic>
[OT]Probably a variation of the Chewbacca Defense...[/OT]

np: The Tuss - Rushup I Bank (Rushup Edge)

08-27-2008 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What I'm up to these days.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com