Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (Our contest for August)
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (+1)  
Yes, I agree that unless we redo the stats we don't know what is really the status of each player. I tried my hand at it but I don't fully under how the hits and health points work.

I am interested in a simplified version, while this was fun it felt like playing a computer or video game manually. :lol

I agree with Tim and I am willing to call it quits, and turn my interests towards the September contest.

PS Any photos yet Eb0ny?

[Last edited by techant at 08-26-2008 01:19 AM]
08-26-2008 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (0)  
I'll add my name to the list of people who are calling it quits. But I'll also point out three things while I'm here:

*Tahnan asked me yesterday about why this contest didn't go so well, and what my Executive Summary of the whole matter was. I gave him my best shot, and upon request I could post it here.

*If we're all going to officially quit this contest, we need to resolve what's going to happen to the first, second, and third place prizes, if nobody is going to "win" this time around.

*I, too, am interested in a simplified version. Spitemaster had a nice idea of making an RTS-like game for all the forumers to play, but one of the chief complaints from the start was complexity of rules. If someone (spitemaster, or somebody else) started a new game with different rules and was able to continually update each day, then I think it would work better. Ideally the work of updating HP, squadrons, finances, and the like would be shared and handled redundantly between the players and the game manager, so mishaps like people not knowing how much money was available or how much damage towns took could be averted.

08-26-2008 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 157
I'm calling it quits too. Too bad, It was a good idea, but it got out of hand pretty fast. I also think that after this we could come up with a better set of rules. It's always like this when you try to make something new. You'll never know how will it work out until you try it.

I don't know what to do about the prizes, I'll leave that up to the others.
08-26-2008 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Well still no word from The Smitemaster, so I guess the best thing to do at this point is to call this contest a wash and award everyone who played mod points for participation.

Tim suggested giving "all the active participants 10 rank points and participation credits". I thing that as there were a total of 175 ranking points to be awarded we should just split them between the finalist, ie those including eb0ny who stuck it out to the end. That would be 35 ranking points to each as follows, 25 more for all the effort you all took:
Chaco
eb0ny
Maurog
RuAdam
techant

I will let NiroZ know my decision unless 'ye protest too much'. Let me know any objections before the end of the month please. You can post them here or PM me.

[Last edited by techant at 08-30-2008 04:31 AM]
08-30-2008 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
I liked the contest, but it was far to complicated for a forum discussion. A forum is not like chat where you have posts every few seconds, but rather every few hours. This makes a game where you have to respond quickly to a threat a bad idea. Perhaps if this were a game like Warcraft III, where things happen quick, that would be a lot easier to keep track of everything.

Overall, I am excited for the upcoming September's contest.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-30-2008 at 04:50 AM
techant
I think you are right "AlternativePuzzles" and welcome aboard!!

[Last edited by techant at 08-30-2008 11:03 AM]
08-30-2008 at 11:02 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (+3)  
I believe that I have to make some sort of public announcement/apology for everyone here and people who participated.

I take most of the responsibility of the direction of this contest. It was too complex for everyone to keep up at the beginning and once it got half-way through there was too many variables for people to follow. Then the orginisation became too difficult for me. (It was growing to 2 1/2 hours a night) And my mistake here was to throw up my hands and distance myself from it.

That said, everyone involved here did very well. The decisions that were made and ending this contest the way people did was very well done. I will submit the stuff need to coppro if no one else has already done it. And I wish good luck to whoever runs September.

I wish that man would stay away
09-02-2008 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Thanks, The spitemaster, we understand, it was taking me hours just to set up my next days move. I have not spoken to coppro, so go ahead and wrap thing up.

09-03-2008 at 12:19 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
The spitemaster wrote:
And my mistake here was to throw up my hands and distance myself from it.
A +1 just for saying this. I've got so much sympathy for stepping away in frustration, even when it leaves other people wondering where you went. We all do it, but kudos for recognizing that it's a mistake to do so.

(And, hey, a contest that didn't work out so well is still a lot of effort and creativity on your part! So kudos, too, for trying.)
09-03-2008 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
I had all my strategy worked out to dominate the world with gel babies! but then I had to go because of real life. :( I'll try and get in September's contest though. :D

09-04-2008 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (+2)  
techant wrote:
Well still no word from The Smitemaster, so I guess the best thing to do at this point is to call this contest a wash and award everyone who played mod points for participation.

Tim suggested giving "all the active participants 10 rank points and participation credits". I thing that as there were a total of 175 ranking points to be awarded we should just split them between the finalist, ie those including eb0ny who stuck it out to the end. That would be 35 ranking points to each as follows, 25 more for all the effort you all took:
Chaco
eb0ny
Maurog
RuAdam
techant

I will let NiroZ know my decision unless 'ye protest too much'. Let me know any objections before the end of the month please. You can post them here or PM me.
I'm fine with awarding prizes as suggested here. To make sure I understand correctly, we'd like to award 35 rank points to the five players listed above, and 10 rank points to the remaining players. Is that correct? Would someone please point me to a list of the other participants, or write it out here, to make sure I don't miss anyone? Thanks. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-09-2008 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (+1)  
RuAdam, plus all players in the spreadsheet that can be found on the first page. That's Maurog, Fang, techant, eb0ny, hyperme, Sillyman, Chaco and Someone Else.
11-09-2008 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Thanks, I've awarded prizes. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-09-2008 at 10:20 PM
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD RTS (minus the RT bit, 'cause that's not DROD) (Our contest for August)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com