Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 16
2345>>
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Ask questions about DROD RPG (0)  
It has been requested, and the time is ripe for a question-and-answer thread for DROD RPG. So this is your opportunity to ask questions about the new game engine, the "Tendry's Tale" hold, and if the dev team feels like it, we'll answer it. I'll quote from Neil from the same thread we had for TCB where he said: We're not going to give away huge spoilers, we're not going to say when the release date is (or anything else we don't know yet), and we're not going to answer blanket questions like "please list all the new game elements and, while you're at it, all the new script commands."

I would like to ask the beta testers and voice talent to please not identify yourselves or answer any questions at this time. We appreciate your hard work but please continue to respect the NDA. All dev team members can feel free to give answers.

So we know you all have questions...bring 'em on!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-11-2008 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (0)  
1) When will beta testers be revealed? I would really like to beta test and help you with the game.

2) Graphics? Are the Graphics DROD 2.0 like or different?

3) Editor? Is there an editor to make custom levels and monsters?

4) Grindfest? Are there special mission instead of kill X monsters and speak with X npc?

[Last edited by vittro at 07-11-2008 03:03 PM]
07-11-2008 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+1)  
1) How large is the "hold"?

2) How hard is it?

3) Can I use a contest credit to get it? :)

4) Is Beethro in it?

5) What did you got for your birthday?

07-11-2008 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
1) What is your name?

2) What is your quest?

3) What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

07-11-2008 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
YAY! In roughly ascending order of difficulty:

1) When can we get screenshots? :P

2) Can we expect to see some monsters hitherto unknown in the DROD world?

3) In what time period is the game set? Is it contemporary with The City Beneath?

4) How are you handling integration with CaravelNet?

5) I know you're taking heavy inspiration from Tower of the Sorceror. One of the things that irked me about that game was that you didn't have perfect information on the first few playthroughs, and without (or even with) perfect information it was very easy to render the game unwinnable. How does DROD RPG deal with that?

07-11-2008 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
vittro wrote:
1) When will beta testers be revealed?
Ehhh...probably in the game credits. They do deserve mention for their efforts, and they can talk about stuff once the game is released, but I don't think that's relevant to the game's features or play.
2) Graphics? Are the Graphics DROD 2.0 like or different?
The game uses a heavily-modified 3.2 engine. It uses the same graphics for most everything, except individual room sizes are smaller, and sprites are twice as large. You'll see similarly-formatted screen organization and layout like for DROD, for managing holds, player profiles, etc.
3) Editor? Is there an editor to make custom levels and monsters?
Yes, and this editor is quite powerful in its scripting capabilities. In particular, a lot of effort went into designing flexible uses for the script engine. The official hold in this game only scratches the surface of the depth possible for the new scripting features. The level sets will still be called "holds", but they will have a different file extension (.drh) and, as you can imagine, won't be compatible with the regular DROD holds or game.
4) Grindfest? Are there special mission instead of kill X monsters and speak with X npc?
The official hold has little to no grinding, since the focus is still on deterministic DROD-like play (no reandomness). You can see where monsters are before fighting them -- there are no random fights and the results of an encounter can be known ahead of time. Room and level layouts are important, and the game is still a puzzle game involving strategy and tactics in navigating the levels without dying. It's pretty simple to build your own grinds and fetch quests into homemade levels via scripting in the editor if you want, but that's not what the official hold is about.

07-11-2008 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
mrimer
Tim wrote:
1) How large is the "hold"?
The official hold has 350 rooms like DROD:KDD. However, rooms are only 16x16 tiles each, so relatively tiny in comparison, but together they form interlocking pieces of larger puzzles. I'd estimate playthrough time is a bit less than for KDD, but replayability is high if you're going for scores or alternate play-throughs.
2) How hard is it?
Hmm...it's not directly comparable to DROD. Focus is now on the strategy of completing an entire area at a time (analogous to Metroid-vania-Zelda games, say) rather than solving one isolated room puzzle at a time. There are thirteen levels of ascending difficulty.
3) Can I use a contest credit to get it? :)
Sure!
4) Is Beethro in it?
The hero of the game is Tendry, a stalwart, as you could guess by now. I'd have to say...that Beethro is not directly featured in this game. It's got a style of its own.
5) What did you got for your birthday?
Ooh, ooh! I got my very own DS Lite (finally!) with some of the high-rated games out there. Also, Okami for Wii. Yay!

07-11-2008 at 03:43 PM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Wow!
"You obtained Nintendo DS Lite!"
"It recover 500hp at each day,and it recover 100% of your PS(Progamming Skills)"

Lets see what can i ask!

1.Do Tendry look like normal stalwart,has he got more hair or eyeglasses?

2.Do DROD RPG contain original monsters (Roach Queen,Goblins and so? And has it got new monsters?)

3.Is King Dugan appearing in game? ;)
07-11-2008 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Can player use undo in the game? If yes, is it unlimited and are there checkpoints?
07-11-2008 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
Calamarain wrote: ...
Blue, no, gr---AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
Fafnir wrote:
1) When can we get screenshots? :P
Good idea. Either I or someone else on the team should whip some up. (Did you find the alpha build screen shot from the Christmas puzzle?)
2) Can we expect to see some monsters hitherto unknown in the DROD world?
We've tried to remake the DROD monsters we've seen before within the context of this game. They don't chase you around like in DROD, but most have similar fundamental attributes, often with different tactical implications. For instance, if you step in front of evil eyes, they will hit you, but they are weak to attack from behind. I could be mistaken, but I'm thinking fans of DROD should appreciate the crossover. It's also very easy to add new types of enemies with the level editor for this game engine.
3) In what time period is the game set? Is it contemporary with The City Beneath?
Roughly, it takes place during the same time period as the soon-to-be-released Smitemaster's Selection, "Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom", which follows TCB.
4) How are you handling integration with CaravelNet?
Matt (Schik) is hard at work on developing CaravelNet features for DROD RPG. We plan to have similar architectural and hint-giving support boards as for DROD. Naturally, there won't be any existing level sets for DROD RPG besides the official hold when the game is released, but we'll include DROD RPG as a new game for which Smitemaster's Selection holds may be developed. In fact, I highly encourage it! Players will be able to use their CaravelNet credits to purchase SmS holds for DROD RPG as well as regular DROD SmS issues.

CaravelNet scoring involves a revamped system based on submitting your score -- based on the level of player stats -- at various "score checkpoints" spread throughout the game, such as after beating the boss of an area or even for some hidden achievements. Try to have the best score at each location! There will be no uploading of victory demos, since each and every demo would have to start from the very beginning of the game and extend until that score point to be meaningful. Also, they could be used as spoiler walkthroughs for the entire game, so to make scoring more bullet-proof, we won't include that feature. I realize this may be a controversial decision.
5) I know you're taking heavy inspiration from Tower of the Sorceror. One of the things that irked me about that game was that you didn't have perfect information on the first few playthroughs, and without (or even with) perfect information it was very easy to render the game unwinnable. How does DROD RPG deal with that?
Good question. As you know, this is still a technical possibility with this style of game play and a flexible level editor, so I've tried to make this as easy as possible for players to deal with in general. You can undo moves back to the beginning of a room (i.e. back to entering the current room) to allow for the possibility of more relaxed movement controls (you may now use the mouse to play!) and more experimentation without reloads. We've given the official levels a fairly smooth difficulty curve, and it should be possible to beat any of the levels in the first two-thirds of the game or so even if you messed up your play in earlier levels. So, the level design in TT should be more forgiving. The save/restore system is fairly robust and easier to use than in DROD, and there are autosave points built into the levels (a new scripting feature, somewhat analogous to room checkpoints in DROD). Four of the game's thirteen levels actually have puzzles based on those found in TotS, but we've worked to make these a bit more forgiving as well.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-11-2008 05:41 PM]
07-11-2008 at 04:23 PM
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
How much will the game cost?

Will there be a demo version available?

Will I need a CaravelNet subscription in order to use all the features of the game?
07-11-2008 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
The Architest wrote:
1.Do Tendry look like normal stalwart,has he got more hair or eyeglasses?
He's your stereotypical stalwart. Well, actually, you'll have to decide on that for yourself when you play the game.
2.Do DROD RPG contain original monsters (Roach Queen,Goblins and so? And has it got new monsters?)
It has the whole gamut of monsters from the DROD games...about forty in all, iirc. I guess some of them aren't *really* monsters from the previous DROD games, but they will probably be familiar to most players in some way.
3.Is King Dugan appearing in game? ;)
Yikes! No! There are no gluttony bosses in this hold.
mikko wrote: How much will the game cost?
$19.95.
Will there be a demo version available?
Yes, it will contain the first four intro levels, which should take an hour or two to play through. The rest of the levels get much longer, which is both good (more play and puzzles) and bad (tougher puzzles). Or maybe that part will be good too.
Will I need a CaravelNet subscription in order to use all the features of the game?
It will have CaravelNet functionality integrated into it just like in DROD. Just request a new CaravelNet key and plug it into this game like for DROD to enable these features.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-11-2008 05:28 PM]
07-11-2008 at 05:26 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Will the RPG have some superb new music?
07-11-2008 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
What is the name of the official hold included with the full version of the game? :)

07-11-2008 at 05:38 PM
mrimer
slimm tom wrote:
Will the RPG have some superb new music?
Yes! In addition to a smattering of music across the six room styles from both 2.0 and 3.0, there will also be eight or nine new thematic pieces, composed by Emmett Plant. Some of you might recall that although he wrote the cool JtRH title chant, we didn't get most of the music he was working on a few years ago into JtRH. However, we made a deal with him this year to have this excellent music in DROD RPG!

07-11-2008 at 05:38 PM
mrimer
Chaco wrote:
What is the name of the official hold included with the full version of the game? :)
Tendry's Tale.

And believe me, every word of his tale is true.

07-11-2008 at 05:42 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
1)Are the puzzles more based on strategies for defeating monsters (ala Tower of the Sorcerer) or are they more traditional DROD puzzles?

2) What mechanisms/obstacles (eg: platforms, green doors) return from TCB?

07-11-2008 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
mrimer
Snacko wrote:
1)Are the puzzles more based on strategies for defeating monsters (ala Tower of the Sorcerer) or are they more traditional DROD puzzles?
There's a mix of both, but monsters tend to be stationary in Tendry's Tale, so there aren't any horde management or monster manipulation puzzles and that type of stuff you'd see in normal, large DROD rooms. (This stuff could actually be easily scripted, however.) Except for the mimics. But they should be easy for old hands like you folk, right? :) And tarstuff doesn't grow because rooms don't reset, and that would just get nasty. So you shouldn't come into this game with any firm assumptions about how elements from previous games can/will behave. Fights are stat-based like in TotS, but there are some new features unique to DROD that greatly enlarges the options available to combat. I wanted this game to play like DROD, and an RPG, but also be an original experience no one has quite seen anywhere else.
2) What mechanisms/obstacles (eg: platforms, green doors) return from TCB?
I'd say most game elements in TCB are also featured here. Some that introduce needless complexity have been removed, while new RPGish elements have been added, like the Greckle Gate, that you must pay money to open or close.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-11-2008 06:11 PM]
07-11-2008 at 06:05 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Since this is an extension/alteration of the TCB engine, this leads me to assume that there might be some changes here and there within DROD RPG that are also applicable to TCB (e.g. scripting updates). Will there be a TCB patch released in association with this game, and if so, what might we expect to see in that patch? Even just a high level description would be great.

Thanks for all your had work, Mike (and the rest of the dev team + testers)!

07-11-2008 at 06:09 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Given that it's a modified 3.2 engine I assume the required system specs will be similar - is that true? (Basically I want to play on my EEE :))

"Without dying", you say. So is death permanent, or just more of an issue than in DROD?

07-11-2008 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
Would it be possible to reimplement Tower of the Sorceror in DROD RPG's editor? If not, what would be the sticking points? (Just trying to get a feel for the differences here...)

Is it a standalone game, or is a DROD RPG 2 planned for some point after Frogs and Mice and Second Sky?

(Oh, and I was away from the forums during the Christmas period - if someone could PM me a link to the Christmas puzzle that would be wonderful!)

07-11-2008 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
Fafnir wrote:
(Oh, and I was away from the forums during the Christmas period - if someone could PM me a link to the Christmas puzzle that would be wonderful!)
PM'ed.

07-11-2008 at 06:43 PM
mrimer
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Since this is an extension/alteration of the TCB engine, this leads me to assume that there might be some changes here and there within DROD RPG that are also applicable to TCB (e.g. scripting updates). Will there be a TCB patch released in association with this game, and if so, what might we expect to see in that patch? Even just a high level description would be great.
Yes, I'm planning to push the relevant new stuff back in a major patch for 3.x. That would probably be the next big thing for me to work on once DROD RPG is released, so I'm guessing it's a few months off the road before it's released, but maybe we'll see some beta patches you can try out earlier and start architecting with.
Thanks for all your had work, Mike (and the rest of the dev team + testers)!
You are quite welcome, RoboBob! May I call you Rob for short instead of Rob-obob? :P

07-11-2008 at 06:55 PM
RoboBob3000
mrimer wrote:
You are quite welcome, RoboBob! May I call you Rob for short instead of Rob-obob? :P
Acceptable abbreviations for my name may include:

Click here to view the secret text

You'll just have to experiment with them and see what happens to your rank points. I probobobably won't have a hissy fit, but you never know. :D

07-11-2008 at 07:13 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
You said that all equipment has strengths and weaknesses. Is that a matter of elemental advantages (i.e. the Flaming Axe does double damage to the Ice Golem) or something more unusual?

Also, is there a song in the game? Is it the Stalwart's Ballad or something different?

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 07-11-2008 07:24 PM]
07-11-2008 at 07:23 PM
mrimer
BeefontheBone wrote:
Given that it's a modified 3.2 engine I assume the required system specs will be similar - is that true? (Basically I want to play on my EEE :))
Yes, should be similar specs.
"Without dying", you say. So is death permanent, or just more of an issue than in DROD?
Death is permanent, so please be gentle to your HP. (cue Tendry's song) But you can just reload every time you mess up... :P
Fafnir wrote: Would it be possible to reimplement Tower of the Sorceror in DROD RPG's editor? If not, what would be the sticking points? (Just trying to get a feel for the differences here...)
Yes, the level editor should be flexible enough to support an exact rebuild of the levels in TotS. As mentioned above, Tendry's Tale has a close fit, puzzle-wise, in four areas.

There are some different ways information is displayed and accessed in DROD RPG, such as inventory. It's implemented in a different way to enable powerful level editing (flexible inventory systems in user-made levels). And you can move in 8 directions instead of four, so you'd need some ortho tiles if you want the rooms to look exactly the same too.
Is it a standalone game, or is a DROD RPG 2 planned for some point after Frogs and Mice and Second Sky?
It's currently stand-alone, but there is ample room to add SmS expansions or full sequels to this game.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-11-2008 08:10 PM]
07-11-2008 at 07:23 PM
mrimer
Pinnacle wrote:
You said that all equipment has strengths and weaknesses. Is that a matter of elemental advantages (i.e. the Flaming Axe does double damage to the Ice Golem) or something more unusual?
As usual, you've got your set of little swords (stabby stick?) and big swords (roach hammer?). Then we've got some other types that are somehow connected to existing DROD tactics. I think there are 25 different pre-built equipment items in all that you can select in the editor. I won't give a rundown here, because some people probably will enjoy the surprise of what they find, but I will suggest to think about 3.x game elements and how they might come into play in a game like this. There are some weird things in there too that hopefully are pretty cool. I mean, I liked 'em, so there you go! :D
Also, is there a song in the game? Is it the Stalwart's Ballad or something different?
Yes. Initially, I wanted to include the Stalwart's Ballad in the game, but it got booed offstage. :tomato Therefore, we will now provide a completely different song for your listening pleasure that doesn't smack of internet meme.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-11-2008 07:48 PM]
07-11-2008 at 07:39 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
1. Are deterministic dice rolls available from scripting?
2. Are custom monsters normal characters, special scripted characters (that is, a different element but uses a script), or lists of properties?
3. Can you make any custom things besides levels, NPCs, and monsters, and if so, what are they? I want to know if weapons are moddable. :P

07-11-2008 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
Sillyman wrote:
1. Are deterministic dice rolls available from scripting?
The same stuff you can do in 3.x
2. Are custom monsters normal characters, special scripted characters (that is, a different element but uses a script), or lists of properties?
Hmm...I'm not sure how to differentiate the two types of characters you mention, but there are some more flexible ways to script custom monsters than in DROD. And they can contain a list of properties and behaviors too.
3. Can you make any custom things besides levels, NPCs, and monsters, and if so, what are they? I want to know if weapons are moddable. :P
You can create your own custom weapons that can does everything the pre-built weapons can do and more. In fact, you can even make a weapon that "procs".

07-11-2008 at 08:09 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
Okay, 2 Qs both dealing with "big" elements.

1)How are tarstuffs delt with? Do they need fighting? Do they attack? Do they make babies like in normal DROD? If tarstuff doesn't grow, what do mothers do?
2)How are Serpents and the like delt with? A fight for each segment? A fight for the whole Snake? What is the difference between serpents, rattlesnakes and adders?

07-11-2008 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Page 1 of 16
2345>>
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com