Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Puzzle Rally Race (May Mini-Contest)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Puzzle Rally Race (+3)  
Welcome to Noma's Puzzle Rally Race! This puzzle to puzzle race starts on May 3rd and runs until May 19th. There are 5 puzzle legs and every 3 days or so a new puzzle will be posted. The person with the highest score at the finish line wins. Some legs will be easy, some might get muddy. There are no restrictions against participants working together, giving out hints or colluding in some other way, but all entries will be considered individual and prizes cannot be shared. So keep your eyes open : someone might try to put sugar -- instead of gas -- in your tank. See you on the course!

Scoring & Rules
To add a bit more strategy to the contest, there are 2 ways to get increase your score : rank points and solve points.

Rank Points
Rank points are awarded the way score is calculated for solving DROD rooms:

1st place - 17 points
2nd place - 13 points
3rd place - 10 points
4th place - 8 points
5th place - 6 points
6th place - 4 points
7th place - 3 points
8th place - 2 points
9th place or lower - 1 point

To qualify for rank points, you must submit a correct answer for every question in a puzzle before that leg's deadline is over. First correct set gets first place, and so on. If no one solves every question, the entries with the next highest number of correct answers -- received before the deadline -- will be used for ranking.

Solve Points
One solve point is awarded for every correct answer in each puzzle. Solve points are awarded over and above -- or regardless -- of rank points.

Puzzles
All puzzles will be posted in this thread. The first leg starts on May 3rd. Exact deadlines for each leg will be posted along with the puzzle. Answers to puzzles will be posted only when the entire Rally is over.

Submissions
Answers must be submitted to me via PM. Do not post your answers here. Once you have submitted an answer, you cannot change your entry until after a puzzle leg deadline passes. At that point, current standings will be posted, and you can re-submit corrected entries to get more solve points. As well, if you missed a deadline, you can still "complete" a puzzle leg to get solve points, though you will not be awarded rank points.

Standings
Current standings will be posted along with each new puzzle. They will show your current score and will list which questions in each puzzle were answered correctly. This will allow you to re-try missed questions to get more solve points.

Link to Current Leaderboard

Prizes
Over and above the imaginary points NiroZ is awarding:
1st place: 3 points
2nd place: 2 points
3rd place: 1 point

If you have any questions, please post them here. Good luck.

Links to Puzzles

Puzzle Leg #1 : Word Ladders

Puzzle Leg #2 : Rebus

Puzzle Leg #3 : Anagrams

Puzzle Leg #4 : Crossword

Puzzle Leg #5 - the Finish Line : Scavenger Hunt

Final Results and Puzzle Solutions

[Last edited by noma at 05-20-2008 02:04 AM]
05-02-2008 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (0)  
Sounds like fun, I for one will participate.
05-02-2008 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I will also participate.
05-02-2008 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
I will participate.

05-02-2008 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
For maximum fairness, each leg will have an automatic start by way of hidden tags. That way everyone knows ahead of time exactly when the start time is. To bump the thread, I will also post a message as close to the start time as I possibly can.

Ladies and Gentlemen... the first leg of the race will begin on Local Time:05-03-2008 at 02:00 PM, in negative 829 weeks, 5 days.

Puzzle Leg #1:
And you’re off. This leg of the race might be a stroll down memory lane for some, but in our virtual race you are starting out from Toronto and your first check point is Keystone. Between you and your destination are many rivers and cliffs. You'll have to build ladders and bridges to get where you’re going, but the only tools at your disposal are common English words: no proper names, no acronyms, no slang.

Change the first word in each puzzle into the last word, by changing just one letter at each "step." Because of space restrictions, your ladders can have no more steps (letter changes) than indicated in the brackets.

Example: TIME --> LOFT (4) Possible answer: TIME, LIME, LIFE, LIFT, LOFT

If you want to qualify for rank points, you must submit correct answers before Local Time:05-06-2008 at 06:00 AM, which is in negative 829 weeks, 2 days. Good luck!

WORD LADDER PUZZLE
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by noma at 05-09-2008 04:12 AM]
05-02-2008 at 09:12 PM
noma
*BANG* Leg #1 has begun (see above post.) Remember: submit your results to me via PM. Good luck!

[Last edited by noma at 05-03-2008 02:03 PM]
05-03-2008 at 02:01 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
noma wrote:
Because of space restrictions, your ladders can have no more steps (letter changes) than indicated in the brackets.

Can it have less?

Can you repeat a word to keep a letter that doesn't change?

[Last edited by techant at 05-04-2008 09:40 AM : 2nd question]
05-04-2008 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Yes, you can do it in less if possible and you can repeat a word.
05-04-2008 at 01:14 PM
noma
Announcer: Well folks, an exciting start! It's wheel to wheel, but in the lead is-- what do you mean, I can't say? ... Really? Okay racing fans, it appears I can't comment on current standings until the leg is over. I can say that some racers have arrived intact and some are going to have to repeat part of this leg. And there's still room on the leaderboard if you want to enter this race and earn rank points for the first leg. And of course, thanks to our generous sponsors, solve points will be awarded no matter when you start or when you finish. See you on the track.
05-04-2008 at 01:46 PM
noma
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (+2)  
Congratulations to zex20913, our current leader. But don't get comfortable. The way the scoring system works, anyone -- even someone who hasn't started the contest yet -- can still take the lead.

Here's a link to the current Puzzle Rally Leaderboard.

Remember, if you missed an answer, you can re-submit it for solve points. I will be sending PM's to let you know why an answer was incorrect.

05-06-2008 at 06:01 AM
noma

File: where.jpg (59.8 KB)
Downloaded 635 times.
License: Public Domain
Stand by racers : the next leg will begin Local Time:05-06-2008 at 08:00 AM, in negative 829 weeks, 2 days.

Puzzle Leg #2:

Unfortunately, the race organizers misplaced their files. The only clue to your next checkpoint is a picture that was found underneath a desk. At least, we hope it's a clue. Figure it out and we'll see you there.

To qualify for rank points, you must submit the correct answer via PM before Local Time:05-09-2008 at 08:00 AM, which is in negative 828 weeks, 6 days. Good luck!

This puzzle will earn you up to 13 solve points : 1 point for each word, plus another point for the location. You only need to submit the final answer. If you can't work it out, send the words you think you've figured out so that you at least get solve points.

(Note: depending on how you work this out, you may have some unscrambling to do.)

[Last edited by noma at 05-08-2008 12:12 PM]
05-06-2008 at 06:37 AM
noma
There is an update to the Leaderboard. New racers have entered and others have "corrected their course." At this point, only Leg #1 scores are reflected.

[Last edited by noma at 05-06-2008 04:51 PM]
05-06-2008 at 04:50 PM
noma
In a move as controversial as Formula One's scoring overhaul in 2003 (or not) the racing commission (namely me) has decided that since this leg is causing some trouble, and the instructions are perhaps not as clear as they could be, racers can re-do this leg before the deadline and will qualify for rank points if they complete it correctly.

Clarification: After "adding" and "subtracting" the words, you will be left with one single word (that may have to be unscrambled) and that word is destination you are headed for.

If you need to subtract a word, those letters will have already appeared in the puzzle : maybe consecutively, maybe not, but they will be found in order. For instance, if one of the words you needed to subtract is "LOW" then the letter "L" "O" and "W" will have already appeared in one or more of the words you've already figured out. So if the words you've alreary got are "SLOT" and "SWIM" you would be left with "S T S I M"

Hint: For the 2nd and 3rd words, think along the lines of words that describe what you're seeing.

I hope that instead of making the track muddier, I've cleared it up.

By the way, if you haven't heard from me, then you're fine as is.

05-08-2008 at 01:47 AM
noma
Okay. I've changed one of the clues. It doesn't affect the answers or any of the answers I've received. But now that it's been called to my attention (by more than one person) I have to admit it was a little... um... wierd. I wasn't thinking beyond the word I was going for, honest. :)
05-08-2008 at 04:06 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
noma wrote:
Okay. I've changed one of the clues. It doesn't affect the answers or any of the answers I've received. But now that it's been called to my attention (by more than one person) I have to admit it was a little... um... wierd. I wasn't thinking beyond the word I was going for, honest. :)

Hahaha.. the old version did have me stumped for a while :)
05-08-2008 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Okay, thank you Noma, that makes MUCH more sense. I can see how the old picture could have been related to the word now, but honestly this clue is much better. I absolutely could not figure out what the second word was until you changed the clue. :)

05-08-2008 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
The problem now is dealing with alternate spellings of the second work - but that doesn't bother me because I got it with the original pictures. :P

05-08-2008 at 04:01 PM
noma
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The problem now is dealing with alternate spellings of the second work
:? Really? I'm pretty sure there's only one way to spell it, but just in case : there is no "e" in the word.
05-09-2008 at 02:25 AM
noma
There are only negative 828 weeks, 6 days to go until the official deadline for the 2nd leg and there are still some contestants who completed the 1st leg but have yet to submit an answer for this one. Let me just say : there is more than one who could vault themselves into the Top 5 on the Leaderboard with a correct answer.

There are also those who've given a correct answer for this leg, but who have yet to complete the 1st leg. Don't forget, even if a deadline passes you can still complete a leg for "solve points."

[Last edited by noma at 05-09-2008 03:03 AM : punctuation]
05-09-2008 at 03:02 AM
noma
This is your "Ready Set" warning : the next leg will begin Local Time:05-09-2008 at 04:00 PM, in negative 828 weeks, 6 days.

Puzzle Leg #3:

From Sydney, you’re heading to Agra, India. This leg may be a bit more difficult, so I’ve stationed five disguised forum members to keep watch along the way. Rearrange the letters in each puzzle to discover a clue to a forum member ; use the clue to figure out who it is.

For these anagram puzzles, you can earn up to 10 solve points : one point for each unscrambled clue and one point for working out which forum member the clue refers to. There are no rules as to how you go about solving these : ask each other for hints ; use google or caravel search ; or make use of any other help you can find out there.

To qualify for rank points -- on top of solve points -- correctly complete this leg and submit your answers via PM by Local Time:05-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.

The bracketed numbers indicate the number of letters in each word of an unscrambled anagram.

Example:
MY SHARP MONKEY (8, 5)
hint: musically inclined?
Unscrambled: SYMPHONY MAKER
Forum member: calamarain

Puzzles
1. CYAN CLOCK CUPS (6, 7)
Hint: possible nickname for an North American cousin of a character from the Odyssey?

2. ROTTEN MOTORCADES (7, 9)
Hint: a forum enforcer

3. MORTAL LABOR (3, 8)
Hint: a hold

4. MOTH HEAD TUMORS (6, 8)
Hint: capped agaricus

5. GALACTIC INHERITOR (8, 9)
hint: first builder

Good luck!

[Last edited by noma at 05-10-2008 10:28 PM]
05-09-2008 at 03:24 AM
noma
It's a shocker of a finish to Leg #2. With a bold move, runtly has leapt from seventh place to first, pushing zex20913 out of the lead. But can it last? Leg #3 starts soon.

Link to Current Leaderboard

Puzzle Leg #2 is officially over but you can still gain up to 13 solve points (and up to 5 points for Leg #1) if you complete the leg late.

05-09-2008 at 12:31 PM
noma
Third Leg has begun! Good luck!
05-09-2008 at 05:31 PM
runtly
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (+1)  
Yay me.

05-10-2008 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
For now. :devil

05-10-2008 at 01:01 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
*Fires red shell*

05-10-2008 at 01:15 AM
zex20913
If...you...touch...my...banana...I'll be happy.

05-10-2008 at 01:16 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
RoboBob3000 wrote:
*Fires red shell*

Red shell, RoboBob? Clearly the Blue Shell is perfect for this sort of situation.

(not that I'm having any luck solving the third puzzle or anything. Or the second, for that matter.)

05-10-2008 at 01:55 AM
noma

File: hint.jpg (17.5 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
Hi Chaco. Regarding the 2nd puzzle: not sure if this helps but I'm posting a sample puzzle with a solution as that might get you started. For the 3rd, if you're absolutely no good at anagrams, help is "out there." (But it's much more fun to work it out yourself.) Also, I have to admit, most of the hints pretty much give away at least part of each unscrambled clue. And you can always ask for help here: someone might offer.

Solution:

[Last edited by noma at 05-10-2008 04:38 AM]
05-10-2008 at 03:02 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I submitted my answers to puzzle #3 but I just could not get anywhere on the first one. :blush

The only answer I got, which I am not sharing, just was to weird and depended on old english. :?

I don't know it noma is going to reject it or if I get to get marks for the one I did get.

Is everyone having as much fun as I am. :thumbsup :fun :lol

[Last edited by techant at 05-10-2008 02:12 PM]
05-10-2008 at 02:11 PM
zex20913
A good strategy for the "smaller" ones is to change one letter to a necessary letter.

For example, to change PIE to LED in 3, we can use the words "LIE, LEE, LED." We change one of the starting letters to a desired letter at each move.

05-10-2008 at 02:15 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Puzzle Rally Race (May Mini-Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com