Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD – The adventure game. (Architecture contest.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged

File: Please Dont Die.hold (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD – The adventure game. (+4)  
Some of you people might remember DROD Learning Zone by Larrymurk. I've been thinking: would it be possible to make a cool hold, with nice and tricky puzzles, where it is impossible for the player to die, or even get stuck.

So, that's your mission, create a cool hold with as good puzzles as possible, where it's impossible for the player to get himself killed, or in a position where he/she can't clear or leave the room without restarting it.

Rules:

Build a hold and submit it in this topic, there’s no maximum/minimum number of rooms, and you may use any of the DROD elements as you like, (only 3.1 holds are allowed). 3 entries max per person.

Your hold must be conquerable, with an end staircase/other level exit.

Any sort of scripting is allowed, but please, don’t use too random scripting.

Anyone may download and play your hold. If someone manages to get killed/stuck in your hold, it will be disqualified. (If you’re in a position where you can no longer clear the room, but can without restoring/restarting leave and re-enter the room, it does not count as if you’re stuck.)

If the architect can prove that the player who said he was stuck, in fact had a chance to clear/leave the room, the hold will not be disqualified. Whatever the player manages to do to get himself stuck or killed, it will still count. So as an architect, you must make sure the player will never get a chance to for example kill his own clone/get himself stuck on a force arrow.

You may update your holds an infinite number of times. If someone manages to kill himself in your hold, just update the hold, and it will be in the competition again. You're also allowed to update your hold adding more rooms, story or graphics.

The players must tell the architects where and how they get dead/stuck in the hold.

Have I missed anything? Please tell me :)

Advice:

Try to make your hold fun, that’s what this contest is all about.

Try to build rooms where it looks like you actually can mange to get yourself killed/stuck, so the players will spend their time trying to die in a room where they actually can’t do it.

You may use, for example clone-alcoves, which allows the player to leave the room whenever he wants to, even if he’s stuck, but that’s taking the easy way out in my opinion.

I’m sure you all have lots fun/tricky/evil ideas. If you want to, you can look at the sample hold attached to this post, just to get some inspiration.

As a player, well, enjoy the holds, and do your best to get yourself killed.

Deadline, prices and voting’s?

The deadline for the submissions is in negative 824 weeks, 2 days

Then I will create a poll to decide the winners, where you’ll vote for how well you thought the architects solved the problems, and how fun you thought the holds was overall. As architects, make sure your hold has no unintended solutions (… err… unintended possible failures?) before the deadline, disqualified entries will not be in the poll.

I will give 8 rank points to the winner, 4 to the second place and 2 to the third place, (not necessarily in the same post). I’m sure other people at the forum will help me modding the entrants up too. :)

Have fun building and playing!

[Last edited by Rheb at 06-25-2008 04:17 PM]
04-27-2008 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: DROD – The adventure game. (+4)  
I accept with VIPCOOL - exellent idea, just one question - can I use player roles without swords and harmless - citizens?

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-27-2008 02:41 PM]
04-27-2008 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
icon Re: DROD – The adventure game. (0)  
Vipcool, the players are allowed to restart the rooms if they end up in a tricky situation, but if a player get in a position where he have no chance clear or leave the room without restarting it, or restoring, (if he for example place himself on a force arrow) the hold will get disqualified.

mxvladi, yes, you're allowed to use any of the drod elements and scripting in your hold. :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 04-27-2008 03:22 PM : username :)]
04-27-2008 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: DROD – The adventure game. (+1)  
Sounds cool. I'm going to try to be a tester for this one--trying to die is a new technique. Usually it just happens. :P

04-27-2008 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I died in one of your rooms.

Do I have to say which? I think that the architect should fix this without too much input from the players.

Also, when I'm voting, I plan to vote lower for resubmits.

05-03-2008 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
zex20913 wrote:
I died in one of your rooms.

Do I have to say which? I think that the architect should fix this without too much input from the players.
"The players must tell the architects where and how they get dead/stuck in the hold."

You don't have to tell the architects exactly how at first, but if the architect really can't find it I think it would be unfair not to tell them.

Also, when I'm voting, I plan to vote lower for resubmits.
Yeah, that sounds fair.

05-03-2008 at 12:36 PM
Rheb
Vipcool, it is still possible to die in your hold.

Click here to view the secret text

05-03-2008 at 12:44 PM
Rheb
VIPCOOL wrote:
Also, are you entering this contest into the mini-contests?
Well, I don't think so, it's a pretty complex contest, and I'm afraid there wont be enough people who enters it if it's just one among many other mini contests...

I'd rather wait until the end of May before putting a deadline on this contest, but if there's enough many people who wants to enter this as a mini-contest that would be ok too I guess.

05-03-2008 at 01:35 PM
mxvladi
O.K. Here's hold from me. Three rooms, rather beautiful, where you can't die or stuck.

EDIT: Removed(see my lower post for new one).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-07-2008 04:29 PM]
05-04-2008 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
mxvladi wrote:
O.K. Here's hold from me. Three rooms, rather beautiful, where you can't die or stuck.
It's probably impossible to die or get stuck, but there's not really any puzzles either.

05-04-2008 at 10:53 AM
mxvladi

File: Halph adventure.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
icon Re: DROD – The adventure game. (+2)  
O.K. I did another one. This time with puzzles.

BTW, thanks for example hold, Rheb.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-08-2008 12:26 PM]
05-07-2008 at 04:29 PM
Rheb
mxvladi wrote:
O.K. I did another one. This time with puzzles.

BTW, thanks for example hold, Rheb.
That's a really nice hold mxvladi:)

I really liked the north room, but I actually managed to get stuck in that room.

05-07-2008 at 05:09 PM
mxvladi
Oh, god, completely missed that! Thanks, it's fixed.
05-07-2008 at 05:13 PM
Rheb
mxvladi wrote:
Oh, god, completely missed that! Thanks, it's fixed.
It looks good now, I can't manage to die at least ;)

By the way, did someone manage do die or get stuck in my hold?

05-07-2008 at 05:32 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'm probably going to give this a go, but probably sometime on the weekend.

Very nice idea.

05-07-2008 at 10:07 PM
mxvladi

File: Underground depots.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 79 times.
Here's my another entry.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-10-2008 10:16 AM]
05-10-2008 at 10:13 AM
Mazer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
VIPCOOL - I got stuck in 1E in your second entry, using the wubbas and the southern force arrow.

[Last edited by Mazer at 05-11-2008 03:22 PM]
05-11-2008 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
VIPCOOL, it's still possible to stuck:

05-13-2008 at 10:37 AM
mxvladi
Now 1E looks fine, but I managed to stuck in 2E:

05-13-2008 at 05:30 PM
mxvladi

File: Evil chambers.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
My last entry.
05-27-2008 at 11:54 AM
Rheb
Ok, now that the rush of the mini contests is over, maybe we can get some more people to participate in this contest.

I've now made a deadline for the contest, in the end of June, so you'll still have some time to get your entries in. By then I'll create a poll to determinate the winners. :)

06-04-2008 at 01:16 PM
mxvladi
Rheb wrote:
Ok, now that the rush of the mini contests is over, maybe we can get some more people to participate in this contest.

I think many people are doing now entry for new official contest. I mean "Frankenstein's Wanderers". And I don't think many people will participate here. Not because idea is bad and not because there's official contest now(anyway, official contests are every month!).

It's because it's difficult to create nice puzzles where you can't die or stuck! It's fun, cool, but really difficult!

Though personally I hope to see more people's entries to this contest. I hope they will participate.

Also good that you did deadline. :)

Also, VIPCOOL, I managed to stuck in 2E again:

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-04-2008 01:27 PM]
06-04-2008 at 01:26 PM
mxvladi
Oh, sorry, looks like I still had older version. :(
06-04-2008 at 04:04 PM
Rheb
Ok people. Now that the official contest is over, come on and take a small amount of your time to create a hold where the players can't either die or get stuck!

You know what, to get you all more motivated I'll higher the prizes some more.

06-25-2008 at 04:17 PM
mxvladi
icon Re: DROD – The adventure game. (+4)  
Ooh, deadline(already 41 minuties after deadline). :(
07-01-2008 at 01:43 PM
Rheb
No one else entered :(

Ahh, well, it was worth a try anyway, I'm off to create the poll then :)

07-01-2008 at 07:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD – The adventure game. (Architecture contest.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com