Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ice (tiles on which movement is only possible in the direction you are facing.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Ice (+3)  
Ice Tiles.

The basic idea: They are slippery and do not make good footing. If you try to move sideways or backwards, then you might fall and bump your head. So you can only move forward.
If you want to move in a different direction you first have to turn to face that way.

==

Pontificating:
Sworded creatures/players have to turn if they want to move.

Non-sworded creatures are slightly more complicated. For a player or creature of sufficient intelligence - (Halph, maybe goblins) moving in a non-forward direction turns you to face that direction - just like bumping a wall.

Stupid creatures (roaches down) don't know to turn. They always face you, so if they have to slide along a wall, ice-tiles will prevent them from doing that - their movement will become wubba-like in that respect. Also, whether or not they can move depends on how they are facing at the start of their turn, so turning slows them down as it would an aumtlich.

eg.

(all on ice)

___R____
WWWWW__B

Roach is facing SE, but not moving.
If Beethro steps North, the roach now wants to move east. It was originally facing SE, so it turns, but doesn't move.

___R___B
WWWWW___

If Beethro moves North again, the roach turns without moving again.
(a difference with aumtlichs is that the roaches can turn more than 45 degrees at a time if they want to)

====

I'm not sure what should happen with brained roach movement. Maybe:
Brain picks a square to move to:
If not facing it -> face it
If facing it and it is free -> move there
If facing it and it isn't free -> unbrained behavior = face the player.

Goblins might be weird too. How would they handle their pythagorean wall-dodging? Maybe they should turn and then move (so they act the same, but they pause a turn whenever they change direction)

I'm not sure how Slayer/Guards/Stalwarts should act - the Slayer is probably smart enough to turn to move (as long as you aren't too close). Guards are dumb and don't want to not point their sword at you. Stalwarts - I'm not sure.

Wubbas are unaffected (unless there's a reason for them to be affected)

Serpents are unaffected too. Killing an adder on ice might be impossible.

===

Puzzle Potential:

* position some guards on some ice so that they won't move. Use them as blockers to prevent goblins or other monsters falling into arrowtraps.
* force a player to keep dancing up and down to keep a roach on an ice tile
* annoy Beethro by only allowing stabbing and slicing kills. Swiper, no backswiping! Swiper, no backswiping! Swiper, nooo backswiping!
* This would also limit the ways that mirrors could be moved. ie. you can only move them by hitting them with your sword.
* A contrast with hot-tiles - on hot-tiles you can dodge but you can't turn, on ice you can turn but you can't dodge.

Let's also say that babies won't form on it (but solid tarstuff is ok). I had that idea before, but I think it fits nicely with this idea (especially with the hot-tile contrast)
(that also avoids the issue of spawned babies all start facing the same way)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-15-2008 03:20 AM]
04-15-2008 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Ice (0)  
Very nice - one of the better feature requests.
Further puzzle potential from the fact that non-sworded Beethro will move differently from sworded.

04-15-2008 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Ice (+1)  
Definitely very interesting. This keeps the traditional 'ice makes you move the way you're facing' gaming paradigm without locking you into one path. I agree wubbas definitely need to be immune, as you can't tell how they are facing anyway.

I'm tempted to say Stalwarts should spin like morons as they do when in an Aumtlich beam... they aren't exactly good at adapting to new things, after all. Not sure of the puzzle potential, but it would be kind of funny anyway.

04-15-2008 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: Ice (+1)  
I like this idea, but I would also like to see cracked ice. Cracked ice is just like ice, but after you step off, it falls away like a trapdoor, leaving water behind instead of a pit. Also, a bomb blast could destroy any cracked ice in the blast radius.
04-16-2008 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ice (tiles on which movement is only possible in the direction you are facing.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com