Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (The compilation Hold for Chaco's unofficial November contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged

File: Doorless Hold Contest Compilation.hold (33.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (0)  
So here it is. Please test, as I've probably made some mistake somewhere along the line.

Thanks,

Hartleyhair

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 12-20-2007 12:14 PM]
12-15-2007 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (0)  
Problem - after killing the guard in Doors? What doors? Once South Once West, it's a trivial matter to just go to the stairs and walk down them.

Similar problems exist in other rooms on that level where after killing the monster in question you can just go into the path. Ideally the player should be blocked from entering that part of the path somehow - possibly by trapdoors and bridges?

Also, feel free to correct the scroll in the Entrance of my entry to say something similar to "All the architects, and hartleyhair for compiling the contest" :)

One last thing - in my entry, Once East, would you mind replacing the North-facing force arrow at (12,9) with an orthosquare? That would enforce the room's intentional solution, where as it is currently you can move diagonally and skip the entire point of the room - letting the wubbas free.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-15-2007 02:13 PM]
12-15-2007 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: gatenumbers.png (298 bytes)
Downloaded 42 times.
Also, it appears you've used the old (impossible) version of my entry, where the tunnel at (10, 27) faces north instead of south.

If it faces south, and the east-facing tunnel at (10, 30) is moved one square east, the south-facing tunnel can wrap around to the northern tunnel at (10, 5) and thus work as intended.

Sorry about that, I think that's the last issue with my entry.

Attached are the "gate numbers" character tiles I used to number the "doors" in Twice East of my hold.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-15-2007 04:08 PM]
12-15-2007 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: nodoorsplate.png (8.6 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
And here's the "No Doors" Sihmpuhl Englihsh plate I designed for those who mastered my entry.

12-15-2007 at 04:08 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1310
I found an unintended solution:
In Aumtlich Gardens: 2N 1E you can leave the room to the south without beating it.
12-16-2007 at 12:27 AM
hartleyhair
Updated; everything except the US in my entry is now fixed (I think)

12-16-2007 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Nice job!

Three things left:

Doors? What Doors? (main hub) Once North Once East - we are no longer near an adder; we are near a rock giant.

Level Without Doors (my level) Once North Twice East - I spotted another unintended solution. Could you add west-facing force arrows from (31, 16) to (31, 25) so the player can't draw the northern wraithwing out of its cubby early?

Hold Description: I held the contest during December 2007, not October 2007. I sure hope you can get this published before December 31st, 2007, that way this contest will be the first run, voted on, prize-distributed, compiled, and published all within one month :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-19-2007 01:20 AM]
12-19-2007 at 01:17 AM
hartleyhair
Chaco wrote:
Doors? What Doors? (main hub) Once North Once East - we are no longer near an adder; we are near a rock giant.)

Whoops! Fixed.

Level Without Doors (my level) Once North Twice East - I spotted another unintended solution. Could you add west-facing force arrows from (31, 16) to (31, 25) so the player can't draw the northern wraithwing out of its cubby early?

Done.

I sure hope you can get this published before December 31st, 2007, that way this contest will be the first run, voted on, prize-distributed, compiled, and published all within one month

I'll try! Hopefully, if there are no bugs in this version I should be able to submit it to the HAs in a couple of days.

12-19-2007 at 12:56 PM
hartleyhair
Unless anyone finds an issue with the current version, I'll submit this to the HAs tomorrow.

12-20-2007 at 12:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (The compilation Hold for Chaco's unofficial November contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com