Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Art talent wanted (air quotes not required)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Art talent wanted (0)  
As per any of my posts, you can get the gist of it by reading less than 20% of what I typed. Actually, I think just the title of the topic suffices. Meh. Just pick two random paragraphs and skip the rest.:huh

So let's say you are making a 25 level hold. There are about 10-20 rooms in each level (the largest has 27). There are cities, mountains, forests, lakes (more specifically, gulfs), abandonned buildings, sewers, toxic waste research facilities, and much more. Just one problem: You only have the demo version of DROD.

Now, of course, that's my situation (with all the specifics and parentheses, who would've guessed?). I only have 7 floors (counting bridges), 1 wall, 1 water, and 1 pit to work with. Everything else must be custom images (and for custom water, you need a whole new style)
I already made 4 custom floors, 1 custom wall, 1 custom pit, and 1 9x5 building. And I now know how long it takes to do that kind of stuff.

I don't want my hold to look boring. And I'm sick of making my own art. So I am looking for someone who can make some art for me to use in my hold. And I'm hoping that it will fit in better than the stuff I made.

I will give credit. I will release the hold eventually (With the current number of rooms/levels, I can no longer justify abandonning the project). And you know how mod-points work; I mod you up, shortly followed by 1 or 2 others.

I'll give a specific request right now (the first of . . . some large number):
This is probably the hardest (and yet most critical) of my current requests. I am working on a mountainous level called the Mohojahs. There are two separate mountain ranges, east and west, separated by a large canyon (yes, I have realized the similarities to a particular place in Colorado). Now, the way the player will cross this is by entering some hut at the cliff edge. He will automatically appear in the room to the east (which is entirely pit, because it's a canyon) as a Fegundo.

I want that hut that you go in. I'm thinking size would be 5x5 or 5x4 (with an entrance on one of the south tiles). My guess is to make it out of stones; I keep picturing a wood hut in my mind, but does it make sense to have a wood hut in a place with no trees? It should blend in with the Dirt Floor (tan). And note that I will use the same building on both east and west sides of the canyon.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-09-2007 01:40 AM]
08-09-2007 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Art talent wanted (0)  
You do know that there is currently three complete custom styles that you can import and use in TCB already?
08-09-2007 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Ezlo wrote:
You do know that there is currently three complete custom styles that you can import and use in TCB already?
Can you link me to them?

But I think I already have two: The underwater one and Voids 3.0. I don't think I'll be using them; for one thing, I don't have any underwater levels, and Voids 3.0 may look cool, but remember that 1.0 had a completely different art style than 3.0; it won't fit in.

And I mostly need stuff that I can't do with any style, really. Right now, here's the three things I need for the Mohojahs.
I want this hut and some house for the Great Mohojahan who will live in East Mohojahs. And I want something that will be both a custom wall and a custom pit: A "DO NOT CROSS" line and then the cliff, with one tile in between.

Can any of these be done with a style? Probably not. You see, when I don't have styles, I substitute it with extra stuff.

08-09-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
08-09-2007 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Ezlo wrote:
Two of them here.
Wow, I must say . . .

Those are really good. Really. And, apparently, a lot of people agree with me, since I can't even afford modding him up!

But I'm still unsure; his two styles there both have a dark aura. And no buildings (he does have obstacles other than those in City, but they are just versions of the city ones, but made of black lines). If I use his styles, I won't be able to have buildings at all unless I make custom ones.

I am starting to feel embarrassed with this topic here, though. I don't know what to do.

08-09-2007 at 11:25 PM
Kwakstur
Wow. It's a little hard to believe, but Voids 3.0 actually works for the Mohojahs (and I made a structure that looks like a hut simply by using Walls!) I think I underestimated that style. But instead of using pits, I will use Water to span the gap; we just have to assume that the water is far, far down.

I'll just let this topic die. Using the user-made styles seems to be enough.

08-10-2007 at 12:14 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
You might want to use a trick originating from Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold - using small pit edges to make the appearance of depth. In the case of Voids 3.0, that would mean making a 2-high rectangle of pit above your water, thus making it appear as though the pillars are descending into a spot near the water.

But, eh, thanks anyway. I'm actually pretty lousy at making large things, such as buildings and portraits, so I'll pass on doing anything like that.

08-10-2007 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Art talent wanted (air quotes not required)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com