Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Terrakept Resonant (A somewhat difficult hold illustrating some finer points of TCB elements)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged
icon Re: Terrakept Resonant (+1)  
Alright, new version uploaded.

ABC 1N and 2N1E are now completely new and much better rooms.

There are a few other changes but they're exceedingly minor.

If these two rooms are okay, I'll probably just do a couple of other small things and then submit it to the Hold Administrators.

08-16-2007 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Chaco wrote:
Alright, new version uploaded.

ABC 1N and 2N1E are now completely new and much better rooms.

There are a few other changes but they're exceedingly minor.

If these two rooms are okay, I'll probably just do a couple of other small things and then submit it to the Hold Administrators.

I see two problems with the new rooms.

In 2N1E, you have a double character issue, and the dialogue seems to repeat every time you enter the room, even after conquering it.

In 1N, the blue doors are up, even though I'm getting the 'Exit Level' flashing. Could they be reversed? Or is this a feature of the fact that I didn't replay the entire level when I attempted to tackle 1N?

[EDIT: Answering for myself: two of the blue doors (two very important ones) are toggled wrong. They're down at the start and up when you clear the level.]

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 08-16-2007 09:50 PM]
08-16-2007 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
And that would be because I had those doors down for testing and forgot to put them back up.

And the other issue is because I totally forgot to script the ending part of the room, thus causing that character to never end properly. I can fix those in a jiffy.

EDIT:

Okay, done. I tested and re-tested both rooms and both the issues you mentioned seem to be gone.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-16-2007 10:07 PM]
08-16-2007 at 09:57 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670

File: TR Sence Descended 3S Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Terrakept Resonant (0)  
All seems good. I am posting a demo for Sence Descended: 3S, which may be an unintended solution.

Click here to view the secret text

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 08-17-2007 03:05 PM]
08-17-2007 at 02:58 PM
Chaco
Sorry for the delay; I've gotten somewhat carried away with some other things I had to do.

I've attached a new version at the top of the thread.

The strategy used in your demo is in fact unintended. I've fixed the room so that you have to convince the builder to depress the pressure plate.

Aside from making some secrets a bit more obvious to find, and making some areas better lit, that's all I've changed. If the hold in its current state is fine, I'll submit it to the Hold Administrators.

EDIT:

I've found an unintended solution to ABC 2N1E where it was possible to get the monster out too soon. I'm not attaching the fixed version right away, but rest assured that if you find it it will be fixed when I submit it to the HAs or attach a new version here.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-19-2007 09:07 PM]
08-19-2007 at 08:50 PM
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
I know it's really late to testing this hold, but I have a few comments. I'll supply more details if asked.

3D:1S2W: I think you're supposed to put the mimic near the ortho square in the far southwest corner, but it can be solved more easily (though probably more slowly) by putting the mimic anywhere in the main part of the room, and eventually using the mimic (instead of the adder) to kill the SW golem.

4D:1N1E: This seems too easy; just cut a straight path through the gel. Red serpents don't step on force arrows. The fuses are irrelevant.

4D:2W: Is the tar/mud switch token

4D:2E: I solved this using only the first of the three bombs that you can strike, and without using the lower part (below the water) at all. I don't know what the lower part is for.

5D:1N1E: Trivially solved by

[Last edited by BoyBlue at 09-02-2007 10:06 PM : fixed typo]
09-02-2007 at 10:00 PM
Chaco
3D:2S2W: I think you're supposed to put the mimic near the ortho square in the far southwest corner, but it can be solved more easily (though probably more slowly) by putting the mimic anywhere in the main part of the room, and eventually using the mimic (instead of the adder) to kill the SW golem.
Correct - that's certainly not intended. I'll see what I can do about that.
4D:1N1E: This seems too easy; just cut a straight path through the gel. Red serpents don't step on force arrows. The fuses are irrelevant.
Intended. However, I'm somewhat disappointed with how easy this makes the room, so I'm going to change the room and make it harder.
4D:2W: Is the tar/mud switch token
Yes, yes it is.
5D:1N1E: Trivially solved by
Ouch. I thought I'd gotten rid of that solution earlier, but evidently not.
4D:2E: I solved this using only the first of the three bombs that you can strike, and without using the lower part (below the water) at all. I don't know what the lower part is for.
The lower part is used in case you trapped too many gel babies up top. If you managed to do the room without using that, then more power to you - you would get a better score on the room then.

Well, you've given me some things to think about. I'll see if I can fix those unintended solutions.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-03-2007 02:29 AM]
09-03-2007 at 12:13 AM
Chaco
Okay, I've uploaded a new version of the hold in the Hold Administrator submission thread.

I believe I've fixed the issues you've pointed out; let me know if what I've done is insufficient, or if you find anything else that should be fixed.

09-03-2007 at 02:57 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Terrakept Resonant (A somewhat difficult hold illustrating some finer points of TCB elements)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com