Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Mining Business ((miner game))
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Mining Business (+1)  
Jason wrote:
Jdyer, what's the problem with 30 turns passing?

because the turns aren't passing instantly, there's nothing on the screen except the clock advancing for like 60 to 90 seconds

07-05-2007 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Ah, right. Fixed. Thanks for clarifying, silver.

07-05-2007 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
icon Re: The Mining Business (0)  
All right, I am going to send it to the HA's now, unless anyone has any last minute finds. Final version in first post.

07-13-2007 at 09:07 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Typo in level entrance text...
Click here to view the secret text

I'm assuming it's the last mission.

Now, that said, can someone give me hand to get through it? I have tried a couple of tactics but always end up swamped.

Steve.
07-15-2007 at 06:38 PM
Jason

File: TMB Worlds 3E cool move.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
Fixed.

Help:

1. Before the first spawn, stock up on metals and food, preferably far-ish away from the gate.
2. There is a special sequence that the aumtlich can do to kill all 6 roaches each spawn. Look at demo attached.
3. Upgrade the converter and hire two stalwarts.
4. Now kill the enemy miners, and charge at the enemy complex with your two (or more) stalwarts as backup. Once you open the doors, retreat back to your base and maybe recruit another stalwart. Once ready, charge again and kill remaining queens.
5. Yay.

Hope that helps.

07-15-2007 at 07:21 PM
Stephen4Louise
Jason wrote:
Fixed.

Help:

1. Before the first spawn, stock up on metals and food, preferably far-ish away from the gate.
2. There is a special sequence that the aumtlich can do to kill all 6 roaches each spawn. Look at demo attached.
3. Upgrade the converter and hire two stalwarts.
4. Now kill the enemy miners, and charge at the enemy complex with your two (or more) stalwarts as backup. Once you open the doors, retreat back to your base and maybe recruit another stalwart. Once ready, charge again and kill remaining queens.
5. Yay.

Hope that helps.

I managed it slightly differently than your method, however, there are a couple of problems with the level....

I upgraded my money convertor after I beat the enemy base, and my workers spent a lot of time running back and forward to the enemy base before upgrading mine. Not a huge issue, but you may want to investigate it.

The level description doesn't say you have to wait until 1500 moves. I was confused for a while about why the level wasn't ending.

After I finished, I was returned to Training Centre 1N1W and then stuck. I should be returned to 1S2W.

Steve.
07-15-2007 at 08:00 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Uh, wow, I never thought of doing that. I had to get lucky with movement order and get the stalwarts really quickly in order to survive all that, then continued as with steps 3-5.

07-15-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
My method...
Click here to view the secret text

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 07-15-2007 08:17 PM]
07-15-2007 at 08:16 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK. I played through this and have some comments:

1) Final room, as noted, stalwarts seem to be being counted as monsters for the purpose of room completion.
2) In the final room, builders go haring off after the enemy builder's square when you ask them to build something for you. To make matters worse, this seems to cost extra money (which can send you negative).
3) The character picture keeps flickering between the aumtlich and Beethro.
4) A scroll detailing the ending conditions for each room would be nice -- I had to restore to the beginning of the room in order to see what I needed to do to end.
5) It would probably be a good idea to mark most of the major rooms non-highscoreable, particularly the ones that end after a set number of turns.
6) On one of the rooms, in the 'buy stuff' building, canceling puts you back on the force arrow at the start of that building, so you're pretty much forced to buy something even if you don't want it.

Nothing here is so major that it would cause me to vote against the hold being promoted, but in the aggregate it seems like there are a lot of things that could be improved.

But if you just want it to go ahead as is, let me know.

Josh

07-20-2007 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
icon Re: The Mining Business (+2)  
jbluestein wrote:
OK. I played through this and have some comments:

1) Final room, as noted, stalwarts seem to be being counted as monsters for the purpose of room completion.

This should be fixed.

2) In the final room, builders go haring off after the enemy builder's square when you ask them to build something for you. To make matters worse, this seems to cost extra money (which can send you negative).
Fixed. It now uses a guard instead of builders.

I don't think that can be helped.

4) A scroll detailing the ending conditions for each room would be nice -- I had to restore to the beginning of the room in order to see what I needed to do to end.
Done.

5) It would probably be a good idea to mark most of the major rooms non-highscoreable, particularly the ones that end after a set number of turns.
I agree, but can I do that before the hold is released?

6) On one of the rooms, in the 'buy stuff' building, canceling puts you back on the force arrow at the start of that building, so you're pretty much forced to buy something even if you don't want it.
Fixed.

Great! I tested and found another thing and and uploading it now.

07-20-2007 at 07:29 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Jason wrote:

Somewhat fixed. The builders still go up there, possibly because of the ...whatever it's called. White circle thingy that builders like. But they don't build anything.

Josh

07-20-2007 at 08:40 PM
Stephen4Louise
Jason wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is already a bug report in for this.

jbluestein wrote:
Jason wrote:
Somewhat fixed. The builders still go up there, possibly because of the ...whatever it's called. White circle thingy that builders like. But they don't build anything.

Josh
I think if you change the colour of the northern "thingy" the builders will ignore it without changing the look of the room.

Steve.
07-20-2007 at 08:56 PM
Jason
Ah, yes. Fixed.

07-20-2007 at 08:57 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Relay point.
07-21-2007 at 02:11 PM
Mazer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Jason wrote:
Yes it can. Just set the speaker to "None" instead of "Wraithwing".

[Last edited by Mazer at 07-21-2007 02:14 PM]
07-21-2007 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Oh! Thanks, Mazer! New version with coins speaker set to none.

07-21-2007 at 03:11 PM
Jason
icon Re: The Mining Business (+3)  
Here it is CSR: It should be fixed.

08-06-2008 at 11:08 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Thanks, Jason. We'll check this over, and if everything works in 3.2, we'll update the version on the Holds board. :)
08-06-2008 at 11:11 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I guess things are never as easy as they might seem. First off, this new hold you posted has a different Hold ID from the hold on the Holds board. I'll find out what we need to do about that.

Secondly, I'm having difficulties with Worlds : 3E. Not having played this hold previously, I don't know if these problems existed in the original version before 3.2 broke it.
* When I first tried Worlds : 3E, the stuff that Halph collected completely disappeared when I switched to the aumtlich and back. I'm pretty sure Worlds : 3E is impossible under those conditions. Then I restored back and replayed the hold from Worlds : The Entrance and did not have the disappearing stuff problem. Not sure why.
* I also noticed in Worlds : 1E, when I buy Personal Assistants, it always says (0 used out of 12), no matter how many I have bought. Similar with Mimic Defenders.

On a good note, I am enjoying the game, and am glad I've finally tried it. :)

EDIT: And conquered... Just need to check that the bugs I found aren't new bugs. And I need to find out what to do about the different Hold ID.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-07-2008 07:51 AM]
08-07-2008 at 05:55 AM
Jason

File: The Mining Business (edited again).hold (43.3 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Ooh yes. I fixed the 1E problems, and I can't reproduce your problems in 3E. The Hold ID problem might be because I copyed my version to add the edits, just in case I messed something up. Here is the edited again version.

08-07-2008 at 10:08 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Thanks Jason! The Personal Assistant / Mimic Defender thing works now. The Hold ID is important. It has to be the same as the one on the Holds board, or people will import it as a whole new hold, instead of an update to the hold they played before.

Stefan fixed the Hold ID; if people import this version, it will import as an update to your original hold, and possibly some of their old demos will still work. Wallu tried it and found that any demo where he didn't use the metal-money converter still worked.

We'd like you to change one last little thing, please. Change the hold name from "The Mining Business (Copy)" back to just "The Mining Business." Please make the change on this version with the correct Hold ID.
08-09-2008 at 09:29 AM
Jason

File: The Mining Business.hold (42.4 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Presto.

08-09-2008 at 11:58 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Perfect! Thanks so much Jason! :)
08-09-2008 at 12:11 PM
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
The first tutorial seems broken - if I upgrade the converter, I get no money after going through it!
EDIT: same in the second. Engine version 3.2.0.83

[Last edited by kyevan at 08-09-2008 02:31 PM]
08-09-2008 at 02:26 PM
Jason
kyevan wrote:
The first tutorial seems broken - if I upgrade the converter, I get no money after going through it!
EDIT: same in the second. Engine version 3.2.0.83

I can't reproduce this. Are you sure you are going through the building with the oremites?

08-09-2008 at 07:01 PM
kyevan
Yeah, my money goes up a bit, then drops (A load of 3 metals gets it at 14, 8, and 2 at some point, if memory serves.
08-09-2008 at 11:03 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
kyevan, that sounds like you are playing the version of The Mining Business that is on the Holds board (and is also at the top of page 1 of this architecture thread). That version really is broken in 3.2, for the reason you describe.

We have resurrected this thread to fix it. Try the version Jason posted just above you, here.

I did not have problems with the upgraded metal-money converter in Jason's fixed hold. If you do, please post a demo that shows your money decreasing in this hold. (F4 in game will record a demo from the start of the room to wherever you happen to be.)
08-09-2008 at 11:10 PM
kyevan
Oh. I could have sworn I'd tried that after the first one didn't work... who knows.

Anyway, it works now. This is pretty neat! (Kinda reminds me of a ZZT game I once played... but I can't remember the name.)
08-10-2008 at 04:08 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Jason's fixed hold is on the Holds board now. :)
08-14-2008 at 04:03 AM
Jason
Thanks very much for all your work CSR!

08-14-2008 at 08:25 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Mining Business ((miner game))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com