Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about TCB (being a negative nellie)
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about TCB (0)  
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong meaning to my post. I didn't mean to rush, or anything.
04-04-2007 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
Concerning briars, I think the reason that I don't like them is simply because they cover way too much area, way too quickly. Perhaps if oremites or some other floor type would not allow briars to grow over them(but allow beethro), and there was some way of doubling the grow time, I'd be happier with them, but as it is they are just overkill.

The other element I hate is
Click here to view the secret text

04-05-2007 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I bet pit seeps will be in 4.0.

04-05-2007 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Space worms (from general theory of relativity) which tear you to pieces by gravity :).
04-05-2007 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Right now I hate being unable to move diagonaly around quorners when on rafts and those pit floating things. It feels like a diffrence put in there just to be diffrent, and I have a reflex to move diagonaly around quorners which makes rafts a bit anoying.
04-05-2007 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about TCB (+1)  
Blondbeard wrote:
It feels like a diffrence put in there just to be diffrent, and I have a reflex to move diagonaly around quorners which makes rafts a bit annoying.
Seems logical though - those rafts are a full tile in size and thus can't just slide across edges.

But that doesn't really explain why it gets stuck on monsters as well...

04-05-2007 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Briareos is correct in why they don't move diagonally around corners. And while they do get blocked by water creatures, they should go under flying creatures.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-05-2007 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Maybe they can't go around water creatures because if they tried, the water creatures would have the chance to get onto the raft? After that, they'd probably be too close to be sworded. I'm guessing, but it seems like a plausible explanation.

04-05-2007 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I'm just saying I find it disturbing. And everything don't have to make scientific sense. Like when Beethro jumps diagonally past a monster his sword really ought to cleave the monster in half, but the monster is totally unharmed by this.
04-05-2007 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Rank Points: 77
I really haven't gotten too far into the game, and have found some really fun puzzles, but I have also run into possibly one of the more annoying rooms I've ever played. First off I think there is tremendous potential for heat tiles, and it solves the "place the mimic to hit this orb, then face him that way and solve the room without turning" type puzzles. Now you could just put heat tiles at the entrance, and skip the whole mimic/orb thing.

However... and I think Larrymurk will back me up on this... (spoiler)

Anyway, just my two cents, feel free to disagree.

[Last edited by captainzakku at 04-05-2007 03:19 PM]
04-05-2007 at 03:05 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
The problem I have with rafts not moving through diagonal corners (besides the fact that I constantly try to by force of habit) is that on such corners the ground tile is half water, which, while making pools look much nicer than a jagged edge would, also makes it look like the raft should be able to pass through the tile without hitting the ground.
04-05-2007 at 04:29 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Edit: Sorry, I thought this was LOVE about TCB. :blush

I don't like how my favorite new elelment was only in two levels.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 04-05-2007 08:29 PM]
04-05-2007 at 08:29 PM
Thy Dungeonman
Rank Points: 32
My problem with rafts?
Well, at first I thought they'd be cool.
The problem is that they aren't. THEY DON'T TRANSPORT THE STUFF ON THEM. Not even your clones or the mirror thing. They'll plop in the water. I mean, that's stupid. It makes no physical sense whatsoever, and destroys a lot of puzzle possibillity. I was totally looking forward to making a puzzle where you had to transport orbs and tokens around on the rafts. And why do halph and the clones fall in the water and die on the raft while monsters make the raft immoble?

Even worse is if you put an obstacle on them. Once that's in the water, the platform treats it like a PHYSICAL WALL.

Also, in the last game, they slayer was smart. He could open doors. He didn't have to worry about monsters.

In this game he's an idiot. He'll wait on a hot tile for his whisp to grow until he dies - couldn't he, like, just shuffle or fidn a way off and then let the whisp grow? He can't manuever platforms either, and will just sit there and let an adder eat him. Wasn't he supposed to be Beethro's greatest nemesis?

Finally, I have a problem with the cloaked monsters (Forget their names, they're the ones with beams). Mainly because their beams will freeze themselves when reflected at them, but will not freeze each other. That's silly. And is there really a use for the mirrors besides freezing them and reflect eye's lines of sight?

I just feel like some of the interactions could've been handled better.
04-05-2007 at 08:35 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Thy Dungeonman wrote:

Even worse is if you put an obstacle on them. Once that's in the water, the platform treats it like a PHYSICAL WALL.

Also, in the last game, they slayer was smart. He could open doors. He didn't have to worry about monsters.

In this game he's an idiot. He'll wait on a hot tile for his whisp to grow until he dies - couldn't he, like, just shuffle or fidn a way off and then let the whisp grow? He can't manuever platforms either, and will just sit there and let an adder eat him. Wasn't he supposed to be Beethro's greatest nemesis?

No. He's dead. The guys Beethro faces in TCB aren't full slayers. This is dealt with in the story.

(As far as gameplay goes, yes, the old slayer's AI isn't updated to properly deal with all the TCB elements. I can see why you'd want that for user holds, but the slayer AI requires major work for Mike and it wasn't necessary from the TCB plot which takes priority).

04-05-2007 at 08:43 PM
Oneiromancer
Thy Dungeonman wrote:
Most of the slayers in TCB are actually not "graduated" yet...they are meant to be n00bs. Thus they can be killed "easily", unlike the Slayer in JtRH who was not meant to be killed until the very end, so he seemed invincible.

As for your other stuff...well, I don't really feel the need to defend TCB, but now I'm not sure if you are basing your opinions on the actual TCB hold or just playing around in the editor, because I thought that the mirrors and platforms were quite well developed in terms of interactions. Maybe I'm too close to it to tell. But I could understand someone just fooling around in the editor not seeing all the possibilities.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-05-2007 at 08:43 PM
eytanz
I should point out that in a lot of the interactions, there is no clear-cut solution; rather, there's different possibilities, each of which enables some puzzles and disables others. Different people find different things intuitive, sometimes it's just necessary to make an arbitrary choice, and it's impossible to please everyone.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't complain about choices you dislike - you should certainly feel free to do that. But remember that it's likely that there was a reason for the way things are, rather than just laziness or shortsidedness on the part of the dev team, even if the reason was "we considered both options and decided that neither is perfect so we chose the one that we came up with puzzles for first".

04-05-2007 at 08:49 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Things I currently don't love about TCB (+2)  
My problem with rafts?
Well, at first I thought they'd be cool.
The problem is that they aren't. THEY DON'T TRANSPORT THE STUFF ON THEM. Not even your clones or the mirror thing.

Well, they do transport anything mobile. Including mirrors or clones, if the raft is big enough. And clones can even push platforms like beethro, whether on water or land. However, rafts do not move the items on them themselves, the clone/mirror/monster has to keep up with them.

I was totally looking forward to making a puzzle where you had to transport orbs and tokens around on the rafts.
Orbs cannot move. Neither can tokens. Thus the platform cannot carry them.

And why do Halph and the clones fall in the water and die on the raft while monsters make the raft immobile?

Now you're confusing me. If you want Halph to stay on a platform, you have to make him follow you, or have him move it by himself.

Intentional. Again, Obstacles cannot move. They are also walls. Why do you have a problem with this?

Yes. He was smart, and still uses the same AI.

In this game he's an idiot. He'll wait on a hot tile for his wisp to grow until he dies - couldn't he, like, just shuffle or find a way off and then let the wisp grow? He can't maneuver platforms either, and will just sit there and let an adder eat him. Wasn't he supposed to be Beethro's greatest nemesis?
He was in the last game. And the AI hasn't changed, it just hasn't been improved upon to take into account the new elements. He doesn't know about hot tiles or adders or platforms. He'll just consider them normal floor/serpent, and treat them likewise.

Finally, I have a problem with the cloaked monsters (Forget their names, they're the ones with beams). Mainly because their beams will freeze themselves when reflected at them, but will not freeze each other. That's silly. And is there really a use for the mirrors besides freezing them and reflect eye's lines of sight?
The atumlich. Behavior similar to what you describe with the mirrors is found in most other games as well. The mirrors somehow make the beams deadly to the atumlich. Atumlich. And the mirrors have all sorts of uses! Reflecting beams, holding down pressure plates, being smashable, you can even use them as a portable wall! :lol They also have other puzzle potential, especially when combined with other elements, like platforms. Just carry that mirror along with your sword...

I just feel like some of the interactions could've been handled better.
They are fine. What are you talking about?

Sorry for the counter-rant.

04-05-2007 at 08:50 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Thy Dungeonman wrote:
And why do halph and the clones fall in the water and die on the raft while monsters make the raft immoble?

Only large monsters (serpents or rock giants) or tarstuff make the platform immobile. Roaches, goblins, aumtlich, whatever fall in just like anything else.

[Last edited by coppro at 04-05-2007 08:53 PM]
04-05-2007 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Thy Dungeonman
Rank Points: 32
I sounded harsher than I meant to be. I'll explain some of my problems with the interactions later.
04-05-2007 at 09:06 PM
zex20913
Sillyman! It's Aumtlich. Aumtlich. Not Atumlich. Aumtlich.

04-05-2007 at 09:08 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Oh. Whoops. Aumtlich. That's fun to say. Aumtlich. Say it with me. Aumtlich. Aumtlich.

04-05-2007 at 09:13 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I have a question (not a criticism, but an inquiry) about mirrors. I was hoping that they would change the direction of beams (say by 90 degrees rather than 180 degrees). I'm sure this option was explored. Can you explain why the 180 option was chosen over the 90 option which seems to open up a lot of possibilities without closing any doors?

BTW, thank god for

[Last edited by stigant at 04-05-2007 09:27 PM]
04-05-2007 at 09:25 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Thy Dungeonman wrote:
I sounded harsher than I meant to be. I'll explain some of my problems with the interactions later.
Whoa there... for a second I had really thought that the Neverwinter Nights 2 forum had spilled over here... :-O

np: The Postal Service - This Place Is A Prison (Give Up)

04-05-2007 at 09:40 PM
Oneiromancer
stigant wrote:
I have a question (not a criticism, but an inquiry) about mirrors. I was hoping that they would change the direction of beams (say by 90 degrees rather than 180 degrees). I'm sure this option was explored. Can you explain why the 180 option was chosen over the 90 option which seems to open up a lot of possibilities without closing any doors?
Heh...to be honest, the option wasn't explored. Oh, I know why. Mirrors were originally developed back in 2.0 along with the Aumtlich (called zombies back then). The mirrors were not movable and we decided not to include the zombies, but when we came back to the elements we still considered Aumtlich first, and for them the entire point was to reflect back at them and freeze them. Maybe in the future a new type of mirror could be introduced, only different in the way it reflects, but that's why the current one is the way it is.
BTW, thank god for
I wouldn't have made that room without that particular token, trust me on that! :P Actually, you could be talking about one of two rooms, but either one, yeah.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-05-2007 10:21 PM]
04-05-2007 at 10:21 PM
zex20913
I think I broke the second room you're talking about, Neil. Not certain, but probable. Check my demos for that which you're thinking of.

04-05-2007 at 10:24 PM
Oneiromancer
That might be a while, Tim, as I pretty much need to start the hold over as my demos are all from a very old version that I don't even want to try to import into the full version. I'll be checking them out eventually.

Game on,

04-05-2007 at 10:25 PM
eytanz
You can just import a fresh version of the Caravelteam player - it won't have any demos and will allow you to look at demos in the editor.

04-05-2007 at 10:29 PM
Oneiromancer
Allrighty, good idea.

Game on,

04-05-2007 at 10:33 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Hey, I actually found a problem with TCB!

Basically, I go through all of the second part, and finish HV.

I reappear in HA.

I decide to go back up through MO and those other levels back to KD to see if anything changed since my escape sequence...

and I get stuck in D because going into the GB and solving that puzzle again doesn't net me a disguise anymore, so I can't go to KDND, nor can I re-enter the house of BG because there's no staircase or entrance square.

So, I have to restore! :-O

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-05-2007 10:44 PM]
04-05-2007 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Chaco, I laughed out loud. If I had any mod points I'd mod you up.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
04-06-2007 at 12:19 AM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Things I currently don't love about TCB (being a negative nellie)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com