Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (Our News for February.)
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (0)  
DGM wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
The ones that will definitly profit from all of this is us losers that buys both SMS CDs and CaraveNet ;)

Don't you mean the winners that we losers are buying from? ;)

Them too :P But up untill now I have kind of bought the same product twice.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-20-2007 12:08 PM]
02-20-2007 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Briareos wrote:
Sooo... is this a one-time only offer, or does this mean that instead of 4 fixed SMSes you'll get 4 credits per year of CaravelNet membership? And if this will happen just once - will the price for SMS holds stay at 9 USD?
It's a one-time offer. People who have already purchased CaravelNet, or who purchase it by the end of March, will get 4 SmS releases. If they've only received X of them at the end of March, where X < 4, then they will be given 4-X SmS download credits that can be used any time in the future.

After March 31, CaravelNet purchases will not include any SmS download credits.

02-20-2007 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
This is awesome! I love CaravelNet. Multiplayer, SmS, and TCB coming up!

I love you all!!! :D

Thanks a lot for all the hard work you put in finishing this stuff up!
02-20-2007 at 12:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
It's a one-time offer. People who have already purchased CaravelNet, or who purchase it by the end of March, will get 4 SmS releases. If they've only received X of them at the end of March, where X < 4, then they will be given 4-X SmS download credits that can be used any time in the future.
So am I correct that if I now buy a CaravelNet extension (since my current subscription expires on the 30th of August, and I really have no intention to let it lapse in the near-to-moderately-far future) I'll get 4 SmSes, plus the one I was credited when the fall SmS was skipped?

(Sorry for asking so much... O:-)

02-20-2007 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Briareos wrote:
Schik wrote:
So am I correct that if I now buy a CaravelNet extension (since my current subscription expires on the 30th of August, and I really have no intention to let it lapse in the near-to-moderately-far future) I'll get 4 SmSes, plus the one I was credited when the fall SmS was skipped?

(Sorry for asking so much... O:-)

As far as I can tell (no inside knowledge here), you'll get 4 more SmSes anyway, you don't have to buy an extension.

02-20-2007 at 01:24 PM
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
As far as I can tell (no inside knowledge here), you'll get 4 more SmSes anyway, you don't have to buy an extension.
Ah, but how does the "4-X" come into play here? :huh

02-20-2007 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh, ok, you are right. I was basing my comment on Erik's post alone, and didn't carefully read Schik's clarification.

I guess you're right then about renewing, but I'll let Schik or Erik answer that for sure.

02-20-2007 at 01:31 PM
Schik
Erik will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what I said is correct - CaravelNet owners will be given credits to make up for any of the 4 SmS holds they were supposed to get, but didn't get.

So yes, buying a CaravelNet subscription (including renewing) by the end of March will give you 4 download credits for SmS holds.

02-20-2007 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Schik wrote:
Erik will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what I said is correct - CaravelNet owners will be given credits to make up for any of the 4 SmS holds they were supposed to get, but didn't get.

So yes, buying a CaravelNet subscription (including renewing) by the end of March will give you 4 download credits for SmS holds.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

I guess I'll wait with the renewal until I get home tonight...

EDIT: "Said I would...", ergo done.

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-20-2007 05:13 PM]
02-20-2007 at 01:48 PM
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Just one question about this.. you mention including new game elements in Selections, and that "Smitemaster's Selections may have main characters other than Beethro."

On the one hand this sounds fantastic.. but on the other hand, does it mean that the hold editor will become two-tier? That there's some features that Smitemasters' editors can include that regular holds can't?

02-20-2007 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Awesome! What a note to leave the forum on for a week! :D
02-20-2007 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Whoa. Multi-Player DROD. I never thought it would've happened. Thank you, Caravel. In the chatrooms, BTW, I'm definitely going to WOOOOOTT!!11!!!1111 in Syntax's face just to get him mad :P . I can't wait for TCB! >>recap of what everyone else said inserted here<<

Keep posting,

02-20-2007 at 02:47 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Whoa. Multi-Player DROD. I never thought it would've happened. Thank you, Caravel. In the chatrooms, BTW, I'm definitely going to WOOOOOTT!!11!!!1111 in Syntax's face just to get him mad :P . I can't wait for TCB! >>recap of what everyone else said inserted here<<

Keep posting,
As I read your post I was thinking "he's proving my point about how the chat thing could be abused". You got me there lol
02-20-2007 at 03:13 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Oh... My... God... Now I really can't wait for TCB. And a multiplayer DROD? [Faints here]

02-20-2007 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Oh, wow. Smite to the Death games supported in-game?!? Cutscenes, different main characters, and story threading!

That's, that's a lot of neat stuffs listed in the CaravelNet section too. I think I know what I'm going to spend my next 8-Timer prize on ;)

Whenever I look at such a long feature list, there's just one thing I can say, really. "Thank you, Caravel, for spending a really huge amount of time on all this."

02-20-2007 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Chaco wrote:
Oh, wow. Smite to the Death games supported in-game?!?
Whoa there, pilgrim. Who said in-game? They're going to be supported on the site here, not through the TCB client. Totally separate.

02-20-2007 at 04:15 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Ah, I see. I figured it might have involved typing into some sort of text field and sending it to the server, but obviously, connecting to the server and typing into the text field over there is a lot simpler.

Which is why Schik did this and not me. :blush

02-20-2007 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
Ah, I see. I figured it might have involved typing into some sort of text field and sending it to the server, but obviously, connecting to the server and typing into the text field over there is a lot simpler.

Which is why Schik did this and not me. :blush
Well, doing it in-game would be terrific, but that's just not how it's being done. It's being done this way for a few reasons.
- SttD is not near ready, unlike TCB. I'd rather not try to patch in huge functionality like this later.
- After SttD is released, when I add new features, it won't require new clients for everyone.
- It's really a different game. No need to cram two games into one.

I'm not saying that doing SttD in TCB is a bad idea, I just don't want people to get angry and confused when they download TCB and can't find SttD in it.

02-20-2007 at 04:42 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (+2)  
Well this all sounds most enticing. It's odd how life works out sometimes; if you had said to me a year ago, just before I discovered DROD, that I would now be filled with delicious anticipation at the prospect of a computer game release, I would have been too stunned to laugh!

I read this through a couple of extra times:

The DROD 3.0 engine has been vastly improved to support all the storytelling we've packed into our upcoming DROD: The City Beneath game. What will this mean for Smitemaster's Selections? Many of the limitations we worked with before will be gone. It will be possible, for example, to embed artwork for a special character into a hold. Branching plotlines, cut scenes, player accomplishment tracking, and many more features have been added to the engine. We can even have a Smitemaster's Selection where the main character is someone besides Beethro. Using the editor that comes with the DROD 3.0 engine, you can create holds that are a hybrid between puzzle-solving and adventure RPGs.
. . and the part I've changed to italics jumped out at me. I'm not sure what that entails, but anything to do with artwork will be worth study.

This also caught my attention particularly:
Now, the other thing that will make Smitemaster's Selections very interesting is our plans to release some of them simultaneously with one or two new elements added to the game engine. You will no longer need to patiently wait two years for a release of the next full-length DROD game to play with new monsters, traps, obstacles, and other gameplay devices. We'll start to see some Selections released that showcase new game elements added to the engine.
. . . I can see the Feature Requests froum becoming busy. :)

I do share the slight misgivings some of you have about chat rooms however. Everything I have said about the good poeple here not withstanding, 'instant' things can cause problems, particularly where we do not have the benefit of facial expression and body language to help interpret what is written. There have been a few instances of posters to the forums re-thinking their posts in the light of suggestions/advice and quietly deleting them; I have no experience of chat rooms, but from what I understand, that quiet removal will not be possible. Once it is typed it is there, it is read. Still, "The old order changeth, yielding place to new" , and as long as we are careful and watchful (may I say, particularly where our younger members are concerned) we should be able to adapt.

02-20-2007 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Man, I'm excited to see how all this good stuff turns out too. (I mean, I already see some of it, but I'm interested to share together in the fun that it will be for everyone!) :thumbsup

Regarding in-game chatting -- like with all good things (scripting *cough*), there is potential for abuse and sloppiness. However, it's an optional thing -- you don't have to use it, etc., if you think it would just annoy you. One of our main reasons for adding this is to provide greater opportunity for people to come closer together and have more meaningful experiences through DROD goodness. Yes, we'd be letting the barriers down a bit. That's what it's all about. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-20-2007 at 06:20 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Phenomenal. Just phenomenal.

(Edited to correct the spelling. I've been doing too much work with nominals...)

[Last edited by Tahnan at 02-20-2007 09:05 PM]
02-20-2007 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I think that this will be a very exciting month for Caravel (and Caravelnet members!).

It's certainly shaping up that way, with the three new SMS holds and the bar at what I can only describe as a tantalizing level.

I do have a question, though, because it wasn't quite clear to me from Erik's post:

I understand that existing CaravelNet subscribers will get SMS Download credits in an appropriate amount. But is this going to be a continuing practice? As in, will the CNet membership include the credits, or is that only for current members and in the future everyone will have to just buy the SMS holds?

Josh

02-20-2007 at 09:10 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Schik wrote:

02-20-2007 at 09:16 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Answered slightly further up the page:
[url http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=13817&page=1#162429

02-20-2007 at 09:16 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
So I should renew before the 31st, then.

02-20-2007 at 09:25 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
mrimer wrote:
Regarding in-game chatting -- like with all good things (scripting *cough*), there is potential for abuse and sloppiness.
Yes, but it's not too hard to safeguard against, it isn't as if your making the hold as people are playing though it (although that wouldn't be too bad an idea, especially now with chat...)
However, it's an optional thing -- you don't have to use it, etc., if you think it would just annoy you. One of our main reasons for adding this is to provide greater opportunity for people to come closer together and have more meaningful experiences through DROD goodness. Yes, we'd be letting the barriers down a bit. That's what it's all about. :)
I really, really have to disagree with you there. Even if it is optional, it is still going to have an effect on the community as a whole, which can be good or bad.
02-20-2007 at 09:43 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I hope that it's moderated in some form. While our current community may not need a lot of moderation, anyone with DROD might join the chat, not just forum frequenters.
02-20-2007 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
niroZ wrote: I really, really have to disagree with you there. Even if it is optional, it is still going to have an effect on the community as a whole, which can be good or bad.
Of course it is. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.
coppro wrote:
I hope that it's moderated in some form. While our current community may not need a lot of moderation, anyone with DROD might join the chat, not just forum frequenters.
Sure, there will be rules about using this thing, you know. We'll suspend or ban people from the service if they abuse it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-20-2007 at 10:09 PM
DGM
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 202
This must be a sign of how worked up people are over this month's semi-illumination: we just came this close to breaking the "most users ever online" record. I just counted 23.

EDIT: And 13 guests at the same time.

[Last edited by DGM at 02-20-2007 11:59 PM]
02-20-2007 at 10:14 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
DGM wrote:
This must be a sign of how worked up people are over this months' semi-illumination: we just came this close to breaking the "most users ever online" record. I just counted 23.

EDIT: And 13 guests at the same time.
Imagine if it has been a full illumination!
02-20-2007 at 10:26 PM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : We Don't Need No Stinking Preambles. (Our News for February.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com