Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Twenty-Three Rooms (Public beta)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BoyBlue
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 547
IP: Logged

File: Twenty-Three Rooms.hold (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Twenty-Three Rooms (0)  
This is a puzzle-based hold with two levels.

If you have too much time on your hands, please consider testing it for silly mistakes. Expect some fairly difficult rooms, especially on the second level.

Thanks!

[Last edited by BoyBlue at 01-20-2007 02:15 AM : Updated hold]
01-12-2007 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (0)  
An overall comment is that you combine the cute, neat little tricks with the tedious, timeconsuming tricks. Rooms like 1W are too messy for my taste ;) (I have just played the first level and I've not completed it). I'll comment on the rooms I have compleated. A thought is that the dificulty might be a bit uneven... most of the rooms on the first level are quite easy, while some seems to be quite hard.

Click here to view the secret text

I'll try to complete the hold some time.

01-12-2007 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Sounds interesting. I shall now download and commence keyboard-smashing. :)

01-12-2007 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BoyBlue
Lvl1 1W is kind of out of place, I admit, but I liked it for some reason. I might modify it or move it somewhere else.

Incidentally, are you supposed to be allowed to place tar mothers over walls (not doors)? The editor allows it if you place the wall first, but disallows it if you place the tar mother first.
01-12-2007 at 11:59 PM
Chaco
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (+1)  
Yikes. After spending the evening, I've managed to solve some of the rooms on this level.

Some notable rooms:

Twice East: Man, this was difficult. I finally had to plan a lot of things ahead so I could align the golems properly. Rooms like this one make me try everything possible to make absolutely sure I don't have to solve them the way I think I have to.

Once West: Actually, I liked this one. Again, I had to think ahead so that the tar corners didn't block me.

Once South: Wow, fantastic. You took the trick from Blue Rooms and made it about a thousand times more awesome.

Twice North: A pretty nice room, took a while until I got it right.

Once North Twice East: This seemed a bit too easy. I had a lot of room for error here, and I even let the snake get caught up in itself, and *still* managed to solve the level.

Still trying to solve Thrice East and Once South Twice East. I'll get back to you soon. These are high quality rooms, as always.

EDIT:

Uh oh. After solving the first level, I've seen Second Level Twice North.

...I'm really not going to enjoy that room.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-13-2007 12:42 AM]
01-13-2007 at 12:04 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
BoyBlue wrote:Incidentally, are you supposed to be allowed to place tar mothers over walls (not doors)? The editor allows it if you place the wall first, but disallows it if you place the tar mother first.
It's actually kinda hard to explain--it's inconsistent behaviour, but it's been done in enough holds we can't take it out.
01-13-2007 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: TR Second Level 1N3E too easy.demo (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
Hey, BoyBlue...

Here's my victory demo for Second Level: Once North Thrice East. I'd like to ask if it's the intended solution, since the room looked like it was supposed to be lot more tricky than this.

Granted, I still had to do some roach-queen fidgeting, but it wasn't nearly as tricky as that large trapdoor field made it look.

P. S. I played the "box" of rooms Twice/Thrice North Once/Twice East. Pretty cool. Some of the other rooms on the second level you go "aw man, I have to do /that/ ?" And then you go "Wow, I'm awesome, I did it."

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-14-2007 01:37 AM]
01-14-2007 at 01:35 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I've completed the first level and several rooms of the second one. Some small things.

L1:1N1W, L1:3E - Minor detail: These rooms contain orbs targeting doors multiple times. This was caused by an old bug (I think it's been fixed a while ago, anyway. With which version were these made?) and results in brighter colored doors after clicking the orbs.

L1:1N2E - Trivial solution: Enter the room from east. Don't let the roach go behind force arrows. Kill the serpent. Put mimic in the top-left corner, and clean the final roach yourself.

L2:2N - Three queens? As it's now, one is enough.
01-14-2007 at 08:57 AM
Chaco
Level 2: Once North Once East:

The markings on the floor have no significance, right? Because they didn't help me solve the goblin part. And this wraithwing part is driving me nuts.

01-14-2007 at 05:17 PM
BoyBlue
L1 1E: This was supposed to be simple, but it's even simpler than I'd realized. I'll have to tweak it somehow.

L1 1N2E: Doom: Thanks for catching that. Chaco: Maybe you're better at my room than I am. It's not supposed to be very hard, though; just hard enough that you can't rush through it without thinking.

L1 1N1E: I also wish this were a bit trickier, but I haven't found a good way to do that. Lengthening the middle snakes doesn't seem to me to change it much. Note: I'm probably going to swap the position of this room and 1W, to make it less likely that the current 1W is the first room the player encounters.

L2 2N: It was deliberate that you only need one of the queens.

L2 1N1E: I expect to get some grief about the wraithwings. Only the eastmost sandy path has any significance -- it can help with the wraithwings (though there are probably many other solutions).
Hint:

L2 1N3E: Chaco: You're right, that's not the intended solution (which is a little harder, and much shorter). I did expect some different solutions to that part of the room, though, and I may leave it like it is unless other problems come to light.

Orb targeting bugs: I'll try to make sure there aren't any of these problems in the final version. I'm using JtRHv2.0.14.1. The editor bug has been fixed in the betas, but not in any official release.

01-17-2007 at 01:17 AM
BoyBlue
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (+1)  
I've updated the hold (the file in the first message).

Modified rooms:

L1 1E
L1 1N1E
L1 1N2E
L2 2N (This room was kind of broken. What was I thinking? I've reworked it, though it's still not great.)
01-20-2007 at 02:21 AM
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
I like this hold. ^_^ I finally got around to finishing the last secret room on level 2. (The one behind the blue block.) It took me some experimentation to find a solution, but I noticed that when I killed the tar mother I could have let it grown once more and still solved the room.
01-25-2007 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Twenty-Three Rooms (Public beta)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com