Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : [Poll] Tar V's Mud (Which is better, Tar or Mud)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which is better, Tar or Mud
Mud
Tar
PIZZA!!!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon [Poll] Tar V's Mud (0)  
Since the dawn of King Dugan's Dungeon, Tar has reigned supreme as the ultimate dungeon filler, and for many years, delvers hacked away at it, often cursing as the became surrounded in tar babies.
Then came the Mud coordinators, who finally offered a decent replacement for tar, namely mud. Architects rejoiced, as finally they had a choice. Now, Delvers everywhere face two different dungeon fillers, mud with its impenetrable sides, or Tar with its tough edges.

Which one is better?
10-07-2006 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: [Poll] Tar V's Mud (0)  
It depends on the circumstances - tar is really nasty in narrow strips, and mud is really nasty in large blocks.

10-07-2006 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Chaco wrote:
It depends on the circumstances - tar is really nasty in narrow strips, and mud is really nasty in large blocks.
Well, in that case, which is worse? do you prefer large blocks or narrow strips?
10-07-2006 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: [Poll] Tar V's Mud (+1)  
Well, I certainly get more evil glares when I scream about how much I hate tar babies in public places than when I rant about mud babies. Really confusing.

10-07-2006 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Canadian_Army
Rank Points: 50
In terms of taste:
Pizza mud tar
Stickiness:
Tar Mud Pizza
Terms of how they look:
Pizza tar mud
In terms of gamplay
Tar Mud Pizza

10-07-2006 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
Which one is better?
"Tar Five's Mud?"

Is that a high five or a low five?

(Seriously - I believe you should have named this thread "Tar vs. Mud"... :D)

np: Shadow Huntaz - American Dreams (Corrupt Data)

10-07-2006 at 09:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: [Poll] Tar V's Mud (+2)  
"There never was a choice. I hate both tar and mud equally!" Plus there's pizza. How can you vote against pizza? It's just not humanly possible!

10-07-2006 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Fafnir wrote:
"There never was a choice. I hate both tar and mud equally!" Plus there's pizza. How can you vote against pizza? It's just not humanly possible!
I don't know about that; I once saw this really disgusting-looking, off-putting mushroom pizza that would be a candidate in the vote between the three.

Basically, the tomato sauce or puree was thick, viscous, rust-brown, and oozed out of the pizza like Mud (I suppose I could have poked the corners of it and seen if any mini-mud babies formed), while the (assumed) mushrooms has disintegrated into a sort of weird blue-black sludge not unlike blobs of Tar (although it wasn't quite that blue). The cheese was also rather viscous below and crusty above, arranged in streaks (I assume this is to do with how the cheese was put on the pizza), and an interesting shade of yellow. Perhaps it was a new candidate for a type of Tarstuff - I found it was quite impenetrable from above and the sides, and only really yielded from beneath (so chopping it up can only really be done by opening doors beneath it).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 10-07-2006 06:21 PM]
10-07-2006 at 06:20 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I recall an urban legend about a pizza that was cooked just enough to hatch fly eggs but not so much as to kill them. Chicken and maggot pizza, yum yum.

At least, my drama tutor told it to me, and she said it happened to her kids, and I've never heard the story since, so maybe it happened.

10-07-2006 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
icon Re: [Poll] Tar vs. Mud (0)  
I'd much rather have some tasty pizza than to be forced to deal with either of the two as part of a hold, much like Beethro.

However, between tar and mud I prefer mud, since (in my admittedly small realm of DROD experience) it's much easier to end up with an uncuttable ball of tar (both due to inherent tar design and general room design) than an uncuttable block of mud. Not only is it easier to conquer such rooms where you don't have to cut just right, it also satisfies the (semi) perfectionist within me that wishes the destruction of all destroyable objects/would-be enemies.

Click here to view the secret text
10-09-2006 at 01:09 PM
NiroZ
BDR wrote:
I'd much rather have some tasty pizza than to be forced to deal with either of the two as part of a hold, much like Beethro.

However, between tar and mud I prefer mud, since (in my admittedly small realm of DROD experience) it's much easier to end up with an uncuttable ball of tar (both due to inherent tar design and general room design) than an uncuttable block of mud. Not only is it easier to conquer such rooms where you don't have to cut just right, it also satisfies the (semi) perfectionist within me that wishes the destruction of all destroyable objects/would-be enemies.

You haven't, by any chance, played a room where the corners of mud where inaccessable?

Its real nasty.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-09-2006 01:18 PM]
10-09-2006 at 01:16 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
NiroZ wrote:
BDR wrote:
(snip)
You haven't, by any chance, played a room where the corners of mud where inaccessable?

Its real nasty.

Nope, but like I said, I haven't played a lot of holds yet. I can imagine that they'd provide their own challenge though when used to the same effect as tar is in 2 by X spaces; it's just that in the places I've gone, they haven't been, and they never seem to present an issue by themselves like tar can (if your cutting technique is imprecise). However, I'm sure given a different room design style the situation could easily be reversed. In rooms where the size of the hall doesn't shift much, though, there don't seem to be too many ways to lose access to the corners before you begin cutting away.
10-09-2006 at 01:41 PM
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
There's a nasty mud level in 'Beethro's Day Off' (not sure of the name). I've tried it so many times and lost. Bleh.
10-09-2006 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Canadian_Army
Rank Points: 50

Ohhhh I feel a mass divide coming along...

The TAR clan VS the MUD clan

Compititions, heated debates, and challanges

Wow, this is great! I should put it in the Feture requests!!

...ooooooor in the 'Bad Idea' topic

10-09-2006 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I dunno...I kinda like it. It could certainly be incorporated into a contest or a forum game somehow.

10-10-2006 at 12:23 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Without mothers, mud is easier.
With mothers, tar is easier.
10-10-2006 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I hate tar and mud equally but I hate pizza more!!! :D

10-23-2006 at 08:52 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : [Poll] Tar V's Mud (Which is better, Tar or Mud) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com