Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What happens after?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon What happens after? (0)  
TCB I mean. Will that be it? Will there be anymore releases of DROD? Is TCB the end of the line?
10-04-2006 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: What happens after? (0)  
Ezlo wrote:
TCB I mean. Will that be it? Will there be anymore releases of DROD? Is TCB the end of the line?

You would have a better chance of being told what new things will be in TCB.

People tend to hate having to say what they will be doing after a certain event, even if they have made up their mind at the time(thus, allowing them to change their mind if they so wish)
10-04-2006 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: What happens after? (+1)  
I'm assuming that stuff related to the Grand Event will occur.

As to what it is, you'll have to play JtRH level 23 in order to get that.

10-04-2006 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I cannot give an official answer here - I know very little of what's planned for after TCB, but in my personal opinion, as long as the DROD community is as alive and energetic as it is today, then DROD (and official DROD content) will not end.

10-04-2006 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm sure they will continue to produce Smitemasters' Selections, at the least. We are still getting Smitemasters' Selections, correct Erik? :P

10-04-2006 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It's probably safe to say that as long as people are willing to pay for content, Caravel will be willing to provide it. That's usually the way it is with subscription-based services. I think that it shouldn't be a problem for people to keep producing quality SS holds with all the cool new stuff in 3.0 either. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-04-2006 at 10:59 PM
Canadian_Army
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
icon Re: What happens after? (+2)  
TCBTC?

10-05-2006 at 01:19 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
What will happen with SSs when TCB comes out? Will they all require TCB or will there be a mixture of v2 and v3 holds?
10-05-2006 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Again, speaking totally unofficially, I'd think there might be one or two SmS releases that are 2.0 after TCB is released while the hold authors have time to adjust, but after that, I assume most if not all SmSs will be 3.0. Remember, 3.0 is fully backwards compatible and runs on exactly the same computers as 2.0 so, unlike in the case of AE, there's really no reason to avoid upgrading this time.

Also, once you get used to building holds in 3.0, you'll never want to go back to 2.0. Even if you don't want to use any new features, the interface improvements alone are worth it.

10-05-2006 at 01:43 AM
Rabscuttle
I'm thinking of people who have JtRH and CaravelNet but don't want TCB for whatever reason. Although, the demo version of TCB will be free, right? So it won't matter.
10-05-2006 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rabscuttle wrote:
I'm thinking of people who have JtRH and CaravelNet but don't want TCB for whatever reason. Although, the demo version of TCB will be free, right? So it won't matter.
In which case, they can just have the demo version of TCB on the SmS cd, problem solved!
10-05-2006 at 01:58 AM
eytanz
Yeah, there will be a free demo (at least, I know there's one currently planned, it could still theoretically change).

10-05-2006 at 01:58 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I have a 2.0 SS hold that is about 75% complete (all the puzzle rooms are there but there are lots of changes to make, and no real story yet) that I thought might come out after 3.0 was released. Now, who knows, but if we assume that there will be a 3.0 demo version that supports CaravelNet, and although I don't know for sure I would certainly assume that, then there's really no reason for all SS holds not to be made in 3.0 as Eytan said. I mean look at Perfection, there are actually very few 2.0 elements in the puzzle rooms, so there's no requirement for SS holds to have to use all of the newest game elements, but they will most likely be in the latest version.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2006 at 04:52 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Oneiromancer wrote:
Now, who knows, but if we assume that there will be a 3.0 demo version that supports CaravelNet, and although I don't know for sure I would certainly assume that, then there's really no reason for all SS holds not to be made in 3.0 as Eytan said.
Except that if you have the full v2 install but only the demo v3 install, you'll only be able to play the v3 SmS holds in one style. Still playable, but that would be a reason people might still want a v2 SmS.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-05-2006 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
AlefBet wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Now, who knows, but if we assume that there will be a 3.0 demo version that supports CaravelNet, and although I don't know for sure I would certainly assume that, then there's really no reason for all SS holds not to be made in 3.0 as Eytan said.
Except that if you have the full v2 install but only the demo v3 install, you'll only be able to play the v3 SmS holds in one style. Still playable, but that would be a reason people might still want a v2 SmS.
True, but its no big deal. Another reason why you should buy TCB.
10-05-2006 at 06:58 AM
Rabscuttle
NiroZ wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
True, but its no big deal. Another reason why you should buy TCB.

No big deal unless the default style is the one in the 75% picture
:)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-05-2006 07:06 AM]
10-05-2006 at 07:05 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Rabscuttle wrote:
No big deal unless the default style is the one in the 75% picture
:)
You could always use the Flaming Peligroso!

++Adam H. Peterson
10-05-2006 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What happens after?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com