Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ice Island (Graphic adventure)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.0/10 (15 votes)
σ 1.93
Author Name:Gas
Submitted By:Gas75
Hold Name:Ice Island
Theme:Graphic adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:22
Number of Monsters:469
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Ice Island.hold (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 1534 times.
License: Other
icon Ice Island  
To have full enjoyment from this hold, read all messages: you'll find a lot of news about what happened on the Ice Island and the aims of your mission.
09-27-2006 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Ice Island (0)  
A Good hold, i have downloaded 3 days ago, is very cool, my vote is 10 :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
09-27-2006 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gas75
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Thank you. :)

Sorry for the graphic: I've seen the hold has got a bad loading in maps for Hints section... Those are not colors and skin I used for it! :no

09-27-2006 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
Gas75 wrote:
Sorry for the graphic: I've seen the hold has got a bad loading in maps for Hints section... Those are not colors and skin I used for it! :no
Hints will not show the rooms as it look like in DROD:AE. It shows how the rooms look like in the latest version of DROD (JtRH).

09-27-2006 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Hmm, I havent played much of this hold, but I think I have already find an unintended solution.

There are some good puzzles here, but I gave up after I saw the dreaded "maze covered in tar" puzzle.
09-27-2006 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gas75
NiroZ wrote:
Hmm, I havent played much of this hold, but I think I have already find an unintended solution.

There are some good puzzles here, but I gave up after I saw the dreaded "maze covered in tar" puzzle.
I hope you don't hate me for it.
I had several problems on trapdoors in KDD (see 15th level, 1S 2w :closedeyes ), but I asked help and solved it.
If you need tips, please open a thread in Hints section. :)

09-27-2006 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Curse you, uploading a hold after my laptop dies and before a new one arrives! Go ahead, peasants, collect your petty #1 scores before I have a chance to sweep through the hold! You will rue the day!

Er, sorry. I think I need to eat something today.
09-27-2006 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Well, let's see...

Searching for trapdoors under tar.

Huge hordes of monsters without accessible checkpoints.

Guess I won't be finishing this hold anytime soon.

09-27-2006 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Transparent tar helps with the first bit but not the second.

Still, I think I'll pass on this one.

09-27-2006 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
OK, well, I lied...I went ahead and finished the hold. There are two rooms that are particularly annoying:

1N2W and 1N3W. Both would benefit from additional checkpoints, and 1N2W ought to be short a round of tar growth to show where the trapdoors are.

Other than those two rooms, the rest of the hold is not bad. It's not very complicated...mostly easy horde management issues. 2E is, I think, the most interesting room on the level.

I give it a 4 with 4 brains of difficulty. Alleviating the two problem rooms would kick the rating up some.

09-27-2006 at 08:22 PM
NiroZ
Tahnan wrote:
Curse you, uploading a hold after my laptop dies and before a new one arrives! Go ahead, peasants, collect your petty #1 scores before I have a chance to sweep through the hold! You will rue the day!

Er, sorry. I think I need to eat something today.
Muhahaha, H1 sc0r3z 4 m3!
09-28-2006 at 05:08 AM
Johno758
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
jbluestein wrote:
1N2W and 1N3W. Both would benefit from additional checkpoints, and 1N2W ought to be short a round of tar growth to show where the trapdoors are.

I agree. It became very frusrating trying to find the trapdoors whilst avoiding getting stuck.
BTW I think you mean 1N2W not 3 West

Overall some very challenging aspects

[Last edited by Johno758 at 09-29-2006 01:14 PM]
09-29-2006 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Gas75
Johno758 wrote:

I agree. It became very frusrating trying to find the trapdoors whilst avoiding getting stuck.
Other hold builders like to make hard rooms in their adventures: this is my "revenge"! :closedeyes :thumbsup
Make easy holds, and you'll have the same by me! ;)

09-29-2006 at 02:09 PM
jbluestein
Johno758 wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

BTW I think you mean 1N2W not 3 West

Overall some very challenging aspects

Ah yes, I meant 1N2W and 2N2W, sorry.

09-29-2006 at 03:51 PM
jbluestein
Gas75 wrote:
Johno758 wrote:

Other hold builders like to make hard rooms in their adventures: this is my "revenge"! :closedeyes :thumbsup
Make easy holds, and you'll have the same by me! ;)

Well, nobody is asking for easy rooms. (Someone may be, but I don't mind hard rooms.) But long trial-and-error rooms without easily accessible checkpoints aren't actually 'hard', they're just tedious.

09-29-2006 at 03:54 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah. There's a big difference between hard and annoying.

09-29-2006 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gas75
Question of tastes... :closedeyes
The "megatar" room includes a little tip to know something about the hidden obstacles...
Click here to view the secret text

About checkpoints: I've tested the room, it needed a lot of my time before solving, although I knew where the trapdoors are.
If you see it annoying, nobody force you to end it.

09-30-2006 at 10:46 AM
eytanz
My opinion of this hold, having played most, but not all, of it so far: I thnk that overall it's a good hold, with interesting puzzles in the 3-5 brain range. I do agree that there are a couple of puzzles that most people won't like (mainly the tar trapdoor one), and, most importantly, that a lot of room suffer from lacking/badly placed checkpoints. Unless there are surprises in the 2 rooms I haven't seen (one of which was mentioned above as especially annoying), I'll rate the hold 7 with 4.5 brains.

If gas75 adds checkpoints to the rooms missing them, I'll rate the hold 8 or maybe even 9 depending on the unseen rooms.

09-30-2006 at 01:30 PM
Gas75
eytanz wrote:
If gas75 adds checkpoints to the rooms missing them, I'll rate the hold 8 or maybe even 9 depending on the unseen rooms.
I can't edit the hold: this is not the Architecture board. I left it on try for a lot of days without received bad comments about tar and checkpoints...

09-30-2006 at 10:40 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Ice Island (+1)  
You can edit it from the "My Holds" tab of your profile. You upload a new version, and it automatically takes this one's place (although it's nice to make a post that you did so for those who do not have CaravelNet).
09-30-2006 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Also, if you only add extra checkpoints then it shouldn't affect high scores at all.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-30-2006 at 10:45 PM
Gas75
Okay... I'll try to do something in next days...

I'm not interested to hogh scores (???): I play and create DROD's holds for fun! :)

09-30-2006 at 11:06 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
coppro wrote:
You can edit it from the "My Holds" tab of your profile. You upload a new version, and it automatically takes this one's place (although it's nice to make a post that you did so for those who do not have CaravelNet).
Gas75 wrote:
I can't edit the hold: this is not the Architecture board. I left it on try for a lot of days without received bad comments about tar and checkpoints...
Thank you for reminding me. I will update these points in the New Architect FAQ sometimes...

And yes, you did put it in Architecture, but it was architect-edit only, so I didn't had enough time to check on. But, for a AE hold, this hold is okay.

And no, I don't have a lot of problems with the tar trapdoor room (it's similiar to AE:Level 11, but most of the people here has grown since then), but I would like a bit more checkpoint in the room after that (the only room I still have to do).
09-30-2006 at 11:24 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Gas75 wrote:
I'm not interested to hogh scores (???): I play and create DROD's holds for fun! :)
Sure, that's fine, but people that have CaravelNet can compete for high scores on any hold published in this forum, and they can even have fun doing it. I should have noticed that you didn't have a subscription and as such wouldn't be concerned with that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-01-2006 at 01:25 AM
Gas75
New version of thr hold updated.

Added 2 checkpoints in requested room, and some other thing. :)

Sorry for delay: I was very busy in last weeks! :(

10-14-2006 at 12:44 PM
NiroZ
Umm, I think its needs a little more updating.

You realise that and that if you upload a version with extra checkpoints, it does not affect the hold in any way(people on caravelnet don't even have to update) So, would you be so kind as to insert an extra checkpoint at location 1?

Oh, and for the tar room, is it possible to have no tar on the trapdoors to start with? Just like you have done with the checkpoints?

Oh, and how come the highscores have been reset?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-14-2006 01:38 PM]
10-14-2006 at 01:32 PM
Gas75
Sorry, no more checkpoints there: first sub-room is easy to solve, and next on the left needs to move in using the experience of a good DROD player...

About the "tar room": you have to discovery the trapdoors; read the tips in the messages to know how many they are and more about what tar hide.

No idea about the highscores: ask to admin about it...

10-14-2006 at 05:36 PM
eytanz
Gas75 wrote:
Sorry, no more checkpoints there: first sub-room is easy to solve, and next on the left needs to move in using the experience of a good DROD player...

Which makes it the perfect place for a checkpoint - it's a lot easier to die in the second sub-chamber, so the first sub-chamber becomes boring and annoying. Thus, a checkpoint doesn't make the room easier, only more fun.

Highscores are fixed now.

10-14-2006 at 05:51 PM
Gas75
I've found boring and annoying some KDD room, and on more holds created by players, but nobody added checkpoints to help me! :~( Only tips in the forum to go ahead to myself...

10-14-2006 at 05:59 PM
eytanz
So, the fact that you didn't enjoy some rooms makes you want to create rooms other people won't enjoy?

When I create holds, I think "how can I make this better than other holds I've played", not "how can I repeat the mistakes of other holds".

Still, you should feel free to put checkpoints whereever you like, but people will like your hold less if you don't put them in the right places. That's the way it is. If you don't care, or if you want people to be annoyed when they play your hold, that's ok.

[Last edited by eytanz at 10-14-2006 06:55 PM]
10-14-2006 at 06:54 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ice Island (Graphic adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com