Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Highscore manager
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
IP: Logged
icon Highscore manager (+1)  
Has anyone written a highscore manager? If not I think I might write one to keep track of my highscores and more importantly tell me which scores have been beaten so I can take another look at them. If there is not one out there for download I'd appreciate ideas for features. Once I complete it I will will of course upload it here.

09-08-2006 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Highscore manager (0)  
Feature request: Mac support?

09-08-2006 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
What exactly do you plan / expect this to do, Dolan? Specifically, what is it to do that CaravelNet doesn't already do?

09-08-2006 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Good question. In the past, someone (I don't remember who...) made some script that nailed the server for a couple hours to download every single score, so that they could run some other statistics that we didn't have on the High Scores page at that time.

I'd like to avoid that in the future... I'd rather add new functionality that everybody wants properly. It will be less strain on the server and more available to everyone who competes for high scores.

One request I've seen multiple times that I really need to work on adding is the ability to see when your #1 scores have been beaten, so you can go try to take them back. What other features do people want?

09-08-2006 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dolan42
icon Re: Highscore manager (+1)  
I hate logging on to seeing that my my #1 total has dropped from say 100 to 99 and trying to figure out which room has been beaten. This program will parse the myscores.txt file downloaded from My Scores and show the room(s) that haved moved down in the rankings.

09-08-2006 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
That's a good idea. I use Excel to do that but that's rather cumbersome.

09-08-2006 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Highscore manager (+2)  
Dolan42 wrote:
I hate logging on to seeing that my my #1 total has dropped from say 100 to 99 and trying to figure out which room has been beaten. This program will parse the myscores.txt file downloaded from My Scores and show the room(s) that haved moved down in the rankings.
Okay, if that's all it's doing, I'm not going to object. Unless it's downloading myscores.txt every 2 seconds for every user or something. :)

Still, I've wanted for quite a while to add similar functionality to the site. My current, not very thought out at all plans were to add:
- Tracking which high scores were bettered (#1s only? All of them? Dunno.)
- Viewing recently beaten high scores on the highscores.php page
- Possible (and optional) email/PM notification of beaten scores. Daily? Hourly? Maybe user configurable. Again, dunno.
- Adding a history of #1 scores for each room. For some of the fierce battles, it could be pretty neat to see. :)

09-08-2006 at 04:40 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'd like some way to tell apart 1st place ties and 2nd place scores (because while they might be worth the same, a 2nd place score can easily become a 3rd place score if someone ties 1st place). Unfortuntely, that would be impossible based on myscores.txt since it requires comparing your own score to the 1st place score.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-08-2006 04:42 PM]
09-08-2006 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Schik wrote:
Okay, if that's all it's doing, I'm not going to object. Unless it's downloading myscores.txt every 2 seconds for every user or something. :)
No, definately not, it will just compare 2 MyScores.txt files that the user will have to manually download from the forum.
Still, I've wanted for quite a while to add similar functionality to the site. My current, not very thought out at all plans were to add:
- Possible (and optional) email/PM notification of beaten scores. Daily? Hourly? Maybe user configurable. Again, dunno.
- Adding a history of #1 scores for each room. For some of the fierce battles, it could be pretty neat to see. :)
All of those would be great and make this little project redundant :)

09-08-2006 at 04:53 PM
Dolan42
Here's my first attempt, it seems to have troubles with levels with identical names, not sure how to fix that though. Any comments would be appreciated.

Oh, and to run it select 2 different Myscore.txt files, the more recent one on the right, and hit the compare button.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 09-08-2006 06:21 PM]
09-08-2006 at 05:39 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Schik wrote:
Tracking #1s would be great. Ideally all of them, but that's not important to me.
I don't know if that would be worth the trouble. I can live without those two, anyway.
OOOOOO!!! YES!! That would be awesome.
09-08-2006 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
michthro wrote:
Schik wrote:
OOOOOO!!! YES!! That would be awesome.

You could have a 'Weeks at #1', and a rising/falling index.

#1 with a bullet!

OK, how about:

#1 with a Really Big Sword! (Doesn't really roll off of the tongue as well, though)

Josh

09-08-2006 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Dolan42 wrote:
it seems to have troubles with levels with identical names, not sure how to fix that though.

Don't index levels by name...? :)

09-08-2006 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
so the data you get from downloading the highscores looks like this:

1,MetDROiD,MetDROiD,5 North 2 East,58,0:25.17,05-31-2005 at 09:35 PM
1,MetDROiD,MetDROiD,14 South 4 East,35,0:03.20,05-31-2005 at 12:34 PM

which makes it impossible to index by much else.

"well, we could use line numbers!"

okay, so I originally download my scores into this data file:

3,FooHold,LevelWithCopiedName,1North,49,1:00.00,01-01-2006 at 12:00am
5,FooHold,LevelWithCopiedName,1North,56,1:00.00,01-01-2006 at 12:10am

now the first instance of "FooHold LevelWithCopiedName 1N" has an index of 1 and the second instance as an index of 2. sure. no problem.

now I download a new myscores.txt after doing some optimization:

2,FooHold,LevelWithCopiedName,1North,48,0:59.00,05-10-2006 at 5:30am
2,FooHold,LevelWithCopiedName,1North,36,1:20.00,04-30-2006 at 2:20am

which rooms did I improve to which scores? are you sure? :)

now, if downloading the scores table included the _internal_ room ID (which is unique, or at least HoldID+LevelID+RoomID is unique), then we're in business...

09-08-2006 at 11:17 PM
Kevin_P86
You need to assume hold names are unique. Then you can index by hold name + level name + room coordinates, and you're fine.

If you can't assume hold names are unique, then you do need some sort of identification, because otherwise (as you pointed out, silver) they are identical in every way. However, I am most certain that right now all hold names are unique, so there is no such problem.

09-08-2006 at 11:24 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Level names are not necessarily unique within a hold, though, which is the issue.

09-08-2006 at 11:59 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
It sure is a good thing Deja Vu... is unscorable, otherwise I think it'd be pretty awful to get all of it working.

09-09-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
silver wrote:
Level names are not necessarily unique within a hold, though, which is the issue.
Yea, what he said. For now I'm having the program ignore the rooms with duplicate names which seems to work pretty well since most of them are trivial entrances. The only problem hold I've seen so far is Caverns of Animus so it is completely ignored. I'm sure there are probably more that I haven't caught yet since I've only got just over 5k scores to test. Anyway here is a new version with some cosmetic changes and a few new features. Any feedback, especially about duplicate named rooms would be appreciated.

*edit* Moved to Development for feedback.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 09-09-2006 07:10 AM]
09-09-2006 at 01:07 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Whats wrong with 'diff'? (and for Windows, gnuwin32 provides it)
09-10-2006 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Highscore manager
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No