Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Jesus is Lord Signatures
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Re: Jesus is Lord Signatures (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
I mention this to point out that the 1st Amend. doesn't imply everyone has the right to use another's privately-owned Internet forum (or newspaper, broadcast station, etc) to say whatever they want to. In this case, the owners/administrators of the medium have all power and right to control what is transmitted.

That said, I enjoy getting to know everyone on the DROD forum and appreciate all good things which are contributed to our exciting community! :thumbsup

I agree completely with both statements. This is a great forum and a great group of tech's that keep it running smoothly. Mod points to you all ( oh yeah you already have tons of those , so kudos to you all ). :thumbsup

08-19-2006 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Jesus is Lord Signatures (0)  
Tim wrote:
Note that Von Krieg did announce he won't use bjladd any more (can't find the post right now). That's why I was suspicious why a name like Jordan is needed.
Oh, yeah, sorry, Von Krieg. I was aware of that, and forgot to mention it. It's the third name that bothers me.

[Last edited by michthro at 08-19-2006 01:06 PM]
08-19-2006 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Jesus is Lord Signatures (+2)  
Jordan wrote:
So I switched back to (and I might add, finally settled on), "Jordan." I *was* going to PM an operator and ask if they could just delete the other names, but that would have left the topics with strange gaps, and I just never got around to asking them what should be done.
Well, now that that's settled - would you mind posting in the "Guess The Screenshot" thread? :P

As for this thread - somehow, I'm tempted to make "Not only does Jesus save, but he also makes nightly off-site backups" my sig, but I digress... :lol)

08-21-2006 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Now THAT is funny! :lol
08-21-2006 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Jesus saves, everyone else takes full damage.

Jesus saves, passes to Moses, SCORE!!!

Jesus saves! By using double coupons & shopping wisely

Jesus saves - Moses invests.

08-24-2006 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Jesus Is Magic

08-24-2006 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2485
Michael Flatley is Lord
08-24-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mattcrampy wrote:
Jesus saves, everyone else takes full damage.

Jesus saves, passes to Moses, SCORE!!!

Jesus saves! By using double coupons & shopping wisely

Jesus saves - Moses invests.
You forgot one: Now when Jesus dies, he can restart from where he was!
Plus there's that other joke about Jesus v. Satan on computer skill.

08-25-2006 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rabscuttle wrote:
Michael Flatley is Lord
Actually, John Turturro is Jesus! :D

08-25-2006 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Jesus is Lord Signatures (+5)  
"The lag in here is awful! It took me three days to respawn!" ---Jesus

08-27-2006 at 05:05 AM
Ezlo
Ok, obviously someone thought you crossed the line there. Let's not cross it again, please. :( I would hate to see this thread go up in a tower of flames.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 08-28-2006 02:39 AM]
08-28-2006 at 02:38 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
Jordan wrote:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." -- Jesus
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Jesus actually said that. I'm thinking it was John, but I'm no authority on the subject.

08-28-2006 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Schik wrote:
Jordan wrote:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." -- Jesus
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Jesus actually said that. I'm thinking it was John, but I'm no authority on the subject.

Heh heh, didn't even notice that. Good point.
08-28-2006 at 02:42 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, it's an introduction to a book in the New Testament, so yes, Jesus did not say that line.

I'd also like to emphasize what Ezlo said: We're walking on very thing ice right now. Discussion is fine, but blatant comebacks aren't.

08-28-2006 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Jordan wrote:
Well, he was quoting Him. I'm guessing, though, that Jesus probably said it in Aramaic when He was alive. But even so, he probably had a greater chance of saying that in English than "the lag in here is awful! It took me three days to respawn" and that's why I posted.

You have to admit that it was funny though.
08-28-2006 at 03:42 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Jordan wrote:
Schik wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Well, he was quoting Him. I'm guessing, though, that Jesus probably said it in Aramaic when He was alive.

actually, John was probably not quoting Jesus. When the disciples quote Jesus in other places, they don't transform Jesus' statements to third person. ( "I am the way the light" for example). So John is talking about Jesus but not quoting Jesus.

Jordan wrote:
And are you saying that it's okay to make fun of Jesus saying things He didn't say? Because I'm not laughing.

Jesus was not being made fun of. the joke was to imagine the world is like a MMORPG, which has nothing to do with belittling anyone or anything.

Until now, you were being the wonderful kind of laid back Christian that we like to be around. But you're now treading towards the "humorless bitter flamethrower" Christian that makes forums want to lock out all mention of religion.

I think it was wrong of people to object to your quoting Jesus in after someone misquoted Jesus, but lets not turn it into a flame war.

08-28-2006 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
If I had to spend my whole life on a stretcher, I'd be pretty sick of the palsy too - Jesus

hey what? they cut out the Paul Daniels line? Why would they do that? I mean, I haven't heard of Paul Daniels, but it's pretty obvious who he is.

Click here to view the secret text

08-29-2006 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Wow, I used to watch Mr. Bean all the time when I was younger. I think I must have seen that sketch before, but since he almost never talks in his acts I can't really remember for sure. The one I remember the most is, of course, the "meeting the queen" sketch.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-29-2006 at 04:31 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
In summary:

Jesus may or may not be Lord, depending upon your beliefs.

08-29-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Oneiromancer wrote:
Wow, I used to watch Mr. Bean all the time when I was younger. I think I must have seen that sketch before, but since he almost never talks in his acts I can't really remember for sure. The one I remember the most is, of course, the "meeting the queen" sketch.

Technically speaking, it's not Mr Bean. That sketch is from Rowan Atkinson's stage show, "Rowan Atkinson Live".

If you aren't aware of it, I recommend checking out Blackadder, which is the other role that he is most well known for.

08-29-2006 at 06:54 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jordan wrote:
Well, supposing Bhudda really is Lord, then whether or not I happen to believe that doesn't change its truth. I would think the same applies, of course, to Jesus. Or Muhammed, or Krishna, or L. Ron Hubbard, or...

Correction, Buddha is not the lord, it is a state of being where you become the lord.

Just goes to show how easy it is to misunderstand/misinterpret other religions.
08-29-2006 at 09:30 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
For religion, it might be possible for multiple groups of people to be right. It's possible (though, of course, not the canonical belief of of most Christian sects) that Jesus meant that following his teachings was the only way to Heaven for people already down that road.

I think of an elevator lobby. Once you're on the Christian elevator, the top button is marked "Jesus" and, to be sure, once on that elevator, that is the only button they can press to get to the top. But perhaps, just perhaps, there are other elevators and Jesus didn't mean his words to address people in them.

08-29-2006 at 10:17 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Muhammad *is* the one who's right, wouldn't his word mean that (to use silver's analogy) not only the people on the Muslim elevator are going to reach the top, but also those on the Christian elevator and the Jewish elevator? It seems to me that one of the things I hear repeatedly lately is that the Qu'ran says something along the lines of that the other worshippers of the One God are also on track for paradise in the afterlife, whether they believe the word of Muhammad or not.

Now if only some of those radicals who like to blow things and people up would realize that...

08-29-2006 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
silver wrote:
For religion, it might be possible for multiple groups of people to be right. It's possible (though, of course, not the canonical belief of of most Christian sects) that Jesus meant that following his teachings was the only way to Heaven for people already down that road.

I think of an elevator lobby. Once you're on the Christian elevator, the top button is marked "Jesus" and, to be sure, once on that elevator, that is the only button they can press to get to the top. But perhaps, just perhaps, there are other elevators and Jesus didn't mean his words to address people in them.

I always found the Jewish take on things - that there's a "chosen people" who have the responsibility of worshipping god, but that everyone else only needs to be a good person - to be pretty appealing, though somewhat difficult to reconcile with modern notions of all men being equal.

And I think Hikari is right, Islam - or at least the more traditional Islam rather than the radical versions of it practiced today - is a lot more accomodating than Christianity.

But in a way, I find myself in the same situation as Jordan is, even though in another level his beliefs and I are very far apart. I don't see myself as having a choice as to what to believe in - I am not Christian, or Muslim, or properly Jewish, because I cannot be, not because I don't want to be. And, like Jordan, I'm prepared to face the consequences of that - if Christianity does happen to be right than I *will* be going to hell, because I will deserve to go to hell. But I'm not worried, because Christianity *is not* correct. I just as easily could have said "If the Eighth happens to be the afterlife, I will be going to Dugandy".

08-29-2006 at 11:34 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Just use the stairs, man.

08-29-2006 at 02:29 PM
eytanz
Maurog wrote:

Nah, that's where the scientologists are.

08-29-2006 at 02:36 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
eytanz wrote:
Maurog wrote:

Nah, that's where the scientologists are.

I thought they were on the flying saucer floating stalled over there about halfway down?

08-29-2006 at 08:23 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
michthro wrote:
I noticed the new member "Jordan", and did just wonder for a moment, but I didn't even bother to check. Next time I'll be more cynical - Tim is converting me. Or maybe it's not the same person, but merely coincidence. Could even be someone framing bjladd/Von Krieg.. Where's Syntax?

:D Wow... what a thread! I really should check the "Anything" board a bit more. I'm here, but interestingly michthro is nowhere to be seen. Hmmm ;)

On a participating note:
I have an avatar I use on a few sites. It's a black and white picture of a big dalmatian looking down on a chihuahua (in a serene yet almost condescending way). The chihuahua is looking up at the dalmatian.

There are 2 words written in the space between them. These are quite clearly coming from the chihuahua. Phonetically, foo is the closest description.

Now, I firmly believe this represents my point of view on life and death, heaven and hell, reason, and fate (and no, I'm not an agry young rebel) - this is what I truly believe. The underdog is only as big as his actions.

All the rest really doesn't bother or interest me in the slightest whether it be religion, politics, the weather, routine, burnt toast or cracks in the pavement.

Now... I checked with the forum by attaching the avatar, and it was deemed unsuitable ("obviously" understandable). So I didn't use it. Now... how obvious is it actually? Well, to me, perfectly. I am lucky I can encapsulate all my feelings in 1 picture, but if it in any way encroaches of what is deemed "acceptable" by at least half the majority, then I will fold. Gladly.

I am proud of the beliefs I have formulated through life yet I don't see why these should ever be imposed. So I happily sit here without an avatar. And yes, I'll still go to work tomorrow, and probably burn the toast.
08-29-2006 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Syntax wrote:
And yes, I'll still go to work tomorrow, and probably burn the toast.

In the end, it all comes back to toast.

(Honestly, I'm really surprised how apt today's strip is to Syntax's post. If he didn't see it before, that's pretty amazing)

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-29-2006 09:28 PM]
08-29-2006 at 09:26 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679

File: foo.JPG (32.8 KB)
Downloaded 427 times.
License: Public Domain
Something like this, Syntax?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by michthro at 08-29-2006 09:48 PM]
08-29-2006 at 09:47 PM