Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<6789
Page 10 of 32
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
coppro wrote:
Chaco wrote:
I'm set - I just need to bump two more times and I'm set. Beef Row can't get in my way fast enough to stop me.

Yeah. I played it safe. I don't even need to issue a command and I survive regardless.

However, top snakes can better jump because if you (Coppro) do that, the game will have a delay of 32 HOURS for the bottom snake to reach the exit!!!
Too bad for me, cuz I'm leaving for Italy this friday, so I'll miss my exit. :weep

08-15-2006 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Thanks for jumping Coppro, now I will be able to see my exit!:thumbsup

08-16-2006 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Mattcrampy and Pinnacle have both doomed themselves by jumping - sorry guys.
08-16-2006 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
No, they're perfectly safe ;) It'll take a while, but they don't have to die.
08-16-2006 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
TripleM wrote:
No, they're perfectly safe ;) It'll take a while, but they don't have to die.

Can you provide me with a move-list? I can't see them surviving.
08-16-2006 at 12:23 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yeah, but the bottom snake *will* reach the exit, which means it just complicates things for the top snake to do that.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-16-2006 12:23 AM]
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
coppro wrote:

Actually, they can survive, but it's complicated. From their current position, they should enter JBBBBBBJBBBJBJJ. This'll make them jump over the lowest box, zigzag back through the three rightmost columns, jump over the other snake on the third row, cover the six squares enclosed by the other snake in the top left corner, jump down to the bottom and move left, and then jump up and right to the exit.

coppro
Watcher wrote:
coppro wrote:

Actually, they can survive, but it's complicated. From their current position, they should enter JBBBBBBJBBBJBJJ. This'll make them jump over the lowest box, zigzag back through the three rightmost columns, jump over the other snake on the third row, cover the six squares enclosed by the other snake in the top left corner, jump down to the bottom and move left, and then jump up and right to the exit.

You're right - I thought I'd gone over every possibility.
08-16-2006 at 12:26 AM
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
coppro wrote:
Reports of their deaths have been greatly exaggerated...

They are both alive and well and living in a snake pit:

If they bump around for 7 collisions from now, and then jump once, they'll survive.

All they need to enter is "...B.B.J" where each of the "." is either "B" or "J", it makes no difference.
08-16-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Erik,
Since we are all starting together can you give us a new start time for the next area so we will know when we need to clear our calendars :)

08-16-2006 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
TripleM, Mikko, Zex20913 and Darkmatt forced themselves in such a position that the bottom snakes could steal the easy way of leaving. :?

08-16-2006 at 07:01 AM
TripleM
Well, they're all easy ways if you know what you're doing ;) One of us succeeded though in our aim of trying to kill off our partner snake.. I'm surprised more people didn't try it.
08-16-2006 at 07:03 AM
Timo006
TripleM wrote:
Well, they're all easy ways if you know what you're doing ;) One of us succeeded though in our aim of trying to kill off our partner snake.. I'm surprised more people didn't try it.

That was because the bottom sznake made the mistake of jumping way too soon, the top snake blocked and killed him. -_-

08-16-2006 at 07:27 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Hey TripleM, just because I wanna see your snake paint a pretty picture in our part of the map, why don't you bump at this next turn instead of jumping? ;)

08-16-2006 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Ah, I would have, but I didn't feel like going through all the commands I'd need to survive again.. then I decided to go through them all anyway, but it was too late to type them in :)
08-16-2006 at 08:09 AM
Timo006
TripleM wrote:

Correction, I did mean short ways, not only easy

08-16-2006 at 08:34 AM
Hikari
Oh, well...

At least I'm one of the first snakes out of the initial map. Now I can ignore it for a few days in favor of other pursuits until the arena comes up!

08-16-2006 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Timo006 wrote:
TripleM, Mikko, Zex20913 and Darkmatt forced themselves in such a position that the bottom snakes could steal the easy way of leaving. :?

Yeah. I knew that this would probably happen if I tried my trap attempt in the first pair chamber. I was hoping that some of them (namely Banjooie) were trying Maurog's strategy of "all jumps, no bumps" But I'm okay with that. I get an easy way out too.

08-16-2006 at 11:45 AM
Ostegolectr1c
Rank Points: 116
Another snake is going to die. Yep, you guessed it, it's Banjooie. Now this leaves the 5th row with only 2 snakes alive.

By the way, Chris, I see that you are really exited about this contest. But I don't like the way you spoil things. You seem to help people by showing their way out, but remember they are your enemies and noone will help you. No offence.

Actually I killed Krishh due to a wrong queue. I thought I'd jump but I dind't.

See the rest of you in the real Arena.

08-16-2006 at 12:17 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ostegolectr1c wrote:
By the way, Chris, I see that you are really exited about this contest. But I don't like the way you spoil things. You seem to help people by showing their way out, but remember they are your enemies and noone will help you. No offence.

See the rest of you in the real Arena.

A simple request to secret the info would suffice. I'm sure Chris knows what he is doing.
08-16-2006 at 12:23 PM
TripleM
Ostegolectr1c wrote:

That applies to the main snakepit, but as Erik said:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Please feel free to talk about whatever aspects you like. I'm not going to make any rules regarding what can be talked about during the contest. But also, I want this first snakepit to be about learning, so I encourage people to discuss it.

Thats the point of this initial training area - to discuss, help, etc. I'm sure that when we get to the real thing, there'll be no hints given out ;)
08-16-2006 at 12:32 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
So it looks like both tokyokid and Banjooie are dead...but only as of this latest turn (41? 42?). Had either one jumped on the previous turn, they would have survived (and exited first).

(Both Mattcrampy and Pinnacle should thank their chamber partners for not jumping on Turn 36...I'm pretty sure that would have killed them off.)

Most of the other snakes in the pair chambers are guaranteed to live -- I can count two or three who definitely still have a shot at dying, but it's entirely up to them. A couple others I can't tell (like Tim -- there's probably a way for him to suicide all alone in the pair chamber, but I don't see it immediately).

In any case, it looks like we're most likely to have 42 snakes in the main arena.

[EDIT: I am 99% sure that Tim is alive whatever he does (and same for Chris), so that means that the smallest number of snakes that can possibly enter the main arena is 40. But 42 is still most likely.]

Hisssss
Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 08-16-2006 12:43 PM]
08-16-2006 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
I find it somewhat interesting that, out of all the snakes that avoided the 'top snake bumps' trap, I'm the only one who's in the exit tunnel and completely safe right now.

Interesting... The only reason that my bump on this last turn didn't doom me was because of the fact that I *didn't* have the jumpable block that everyone in the first two columns did.

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-16-2006 12:38 PM]
08-16-2006 at 12:37 PM
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
It looks like about 1/3 of the snakes won't make it to the main arena. That's more than I expected, but I'm not complaining as it means there'll be fewer opponents for me.
08-16-2006 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
I think we all should have expected 42 to make it.

I'm surprised that two snakes suicided on the last turn though. A jump would have been an option, no?

08-16-2006 at 12:43 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
zex20913 wrote:
I think we all should have expected 42 to make it.

I'm surprised that two snakes suicided on the last turn though. A jump would have been an option, no?

Well it is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
08-16-2006 at 12:46 PM
Timo006
NiroZ wrote:
Well it is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

But do you also know the question of Life, The Universe and Everything??

08-16-2006 at 01:14 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
jbluestein wrote:
Most of the other snakes in the pair chambers are guaranteed to live -- I can count two or three who definitely still have a shot at dying, but it's entirely up to them. A couple others I can't tell (like Tim -- there's probably a way for him to suicide all alone in the pair chamber, but I don't see it immediately).
Let's say that my snake can die, but that would take me a lot of commands and I don't want to enter at the moment.

A question about this interface. My current list has lots of letters in it. If I empty this list now, will I still jump at the appropriate places and end up in the exit?

08-16-2006 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Blech. Darkmatt bumped in his last move, which doesn't affect the end result - we'll both exit safely - but it will make it take a lot longer until I'm out (had he jumped, he would have taken longer to leave, but less than I will now).

08-16-2006 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
Ostegolectr1c wrote:
Erik wrote:
Please feel free to talk about whatever aspects you like. I'm not going to make any rules regarding what can be talked about during the contest. But also, I want this first snakepit to be about learning, so I encourage people to discuss it.
For the most part I've only been posting to correct errors other people have made. This first snake pit is meant as a learning experience. If mistakes in reasoning don't get pointed out here, then people are more likely to continue making the same mistakes in the 'real' pit that comes after. That's the way I see it, anyway.
08-16-2006 at 01:58 PM
<<6789
Page 10 of 32
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com