Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<26272829
Page 30 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
I see.

Uh...I feel dumb. Good kill though.

09-10-2006 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Glad I can help. It doesn't really matter, though, as I don't think anyone left in the central arena has a realistic chance to end up in the top three anymore.
09-10-2006 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
kie's dead anyway. Bumping has prolonged her life - instead of dying on move 291 she now dies on move 297.

[Last edited by Chris at 09-10-2006 11:55 PM : Made it clear who I was talking about. Didn't notice page 30 before...]
09-10-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, I think technically I'm dead anyway too - I don't see how I could possibly win this thing. But Kie's bumping prolonged my life considerably.

09-10-2006 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
eytanz wrote:
Well, I think technically I'm dead anyway too - I don't see how I could possibly win this thing. But Kie's bumping prolonged my life considerably.
It is technically still possible for you to win this thing. In the scenario I found where that happens, you and I both die on move 350, but I move before you, and so you win.
09-11-2006 at 12:26 AM
eytanz
Chris wrote:
eytanz wrote:
It is technically still possible for you to win this thing. In the scenario I found where that happens, you and I both die on move 350, but I move before you, and so you win.

Well, it may be a technical possibility, but I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible. For one, given your technological advantage here, I think it's only possible if you don't have any way to force a win at any point in the decision tree that leads to my putative victory.

09-11-2006 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Hey, Chris? Are there any ways at all right now for me to escape the SE quadrant of the game map?

09-11-2006 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Yes! There is a way for you to get into the lower East chamber, where you will have approximately 3 moves to live, after you've landed. Thereby extending Rabidchild's life.

09-11-2006 at 01:02 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
So now that I'm doomed, where did I place?

09-11-2006 at 01:44 AM
kie
Rank Points: 221
Beef Row wrote:
So now that I'm doomed, where did I place?
Have a look here

09-11-2006 at 02:05 AM
Hikari
zex20913 wrote:
Yes! There is a way for you to get into the lower East chamber, where you will have approximately 3 moves to live, after you've landed. Thereby extending Rabidchild's life.

That's still the SE quadrant ;) I'm using the block in the middle as an arbitrary centerpoint.

Obviously I'll last longer by not entering that chamber. So I won't. Sorry, RabidChild.

:bares snakey fangs at everyone else in the SE: OK, let's see if I can bring someone else down before I go..

09-11-2006 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I predict michthro will win. He can stop anyone else from entering his area which is spacious enough for him to wait out everyone else's demise.

I think he could have jumped instead of bumping at his last decision point.
09-11-2006 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
The snakes trapped in the SE corner of the map (myself included) are mostly doomed within, I believe at most the next five days. However, Kevin is still able to escape up to the north and outlast everyone else... *if* Tuttle doesn't stop him. Tuttle is the only snake that can block Kevin's escape, if he bumps at his next choice, which I believe is turn 292.

09-11-2006 at 08:32 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Rabscuttle wrote:
I predict michthro will win. He can stop anyone else from entering his area which is spacious enough for him to wait out everyone else's demise.
YAYYY!!!! :yahoo: Yep. I can survive until at least turn 516. It would take a lot of suiciding for me not to win, or a very nasty surprise. :unsure . The battle for 2nd and 3rd is going to be very interesting, though.
I think he could have jumped instead of bumping at his last decision point.
I thought about jumping and gaining another 28 turns on the snakes above me, but decided to keep it simple and seal myself in as soon as possible. I'm not sure, but I think there was a chance that you'd be able to join me, which I really don't want (no offence). No need to risk that, anyway.
09-11-2006 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I am probably doomed; however I think I might last a bit longer than the snakes in the SE corner at least.

09-11-2006 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
michthro wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
YAYYY!!!! :yahoo: Yep. I can survive until at least turn 516. It would take a lot of suiciding for me not to win, or a very nasty surprise.

*shakes fist* It should have all been mine! MINE, I tell you! *shakes fist*

09-11-2006 at 11:34 AM
zex20913
michthro wins everything. :(

Kidding. Congrats.

09-11-2006 at 12:24 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
eytanz wrote:
hehehe.. Have a consolation point instead. What can I say? That's how this game goes. The best you can do is realise where the right places to be are, keep your options open, and hope for the best. Then you have a small chance of getting where you want to be. If you do get there, there's an excellent chance that something will go wrong. So luck went my way, and not yours.

But don't put all the blame on me. If it hadn't been me going in there, it could have been Beef Row, or kie, or goldenlion, or Syril Ram. Even Pinnacle or Sergenth. It was never likely that anyone would have all that to themselves. I was expecting two or three snakes to get in there. Not to rub it in, but there's so much space, that even if you had joined me, the winner would still have been one of us, assuming the ones above us all last reasonably long.

I'm going to look really silly if someone still pulls something out of the hat.
09-11-2006 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
michthro wrote:
eytanz wrote:
hehehe.. Have a consolation point instead. What can I say? That's how this game goes. The best you can do is realise where the right places to be are, keep your options open, and hope for the best. Then you have a small chance of getting where you want to be. If you do get there, there's an excellent chance that something will go wrong. So luck went my way, and not yours.

But don't put all the blame on me. If it hadn't been me going in there, it could have been Beef Row, or kie, or goldenlion, or Syril Ram. Even Pinnacle or Sergenth. It was never likely that anyone would have all that to themselves. I was expecting two or three snakes to get in there. Not to rub it in, but there's so much space, that even if you had joined me, the winner would still have been one of us, assuming the ones above us all last reasonably long.

I'm going to look really silly if someone still pulls something out of the hat.

If you hadn't entered when you had, someone else may have made their way in but they would have displaced bflatjeff, not me. Still, I don't actually begrudge you your win. It was well earned - both well played and lucky which is the combination necessary in this game.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-11-2006 01:10 PM]
09-11-2006 at 01:10 PM
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
Michthro had his timing down. Maybe if I had started trying to get back in the left side earlier, I would have had a chance at the prize. As it is, I was about 10-15 turns or so (I think) behind Michthro in regards to entering the left side and actually bumped heads with him as he went in.

Still it's been fun, and I plan to be the last snake in the center alive... assuming I can get out of this slightly dangerous situation I'm in at the moment...

09-11-2006 at 02:14 PM
eytanz
There are five serpents in the center area who have a chance at being last to survive within it - Goldenlion, Chaco, Mikko, Tyrion, and myself. Goldenlion and me are probably best positioned at the moment but that can change rapidly. I think Tyrion has the advantage for being last to move.

09-11-2006 at 02:21 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Well, I appear to be dead, unless Rabscuttle goes suicidal.

You know, it's kinda funny. My original plan for that area was to coil around in there for as long as possible. I even found a way to cover every square in the area for either exit. Things looked bright! But then Rabscuttle came a-slitherin', and now my future looks rather dark.

But hey. I'll fill that area if it kills me
Edit: er, scratch that. That route takes an illegal backflip -_-

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-11-2006 07:41 PM]
09-11-2006 at 03:09 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
So, I think NiroZ's coiling is coming to an end. Looks to me like he's dead on turn 317, unless he suicides early and ends it all at turn 307.

Anyone disagree?

09-11-2006 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
eytanz wrote:
Well, it may be a technical possibility, but I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible. For one, given your technological advantage here, I think it's only possible if you don't have any way to force a win at any point in the decision tree that leads to my putative victory.

Have you any idea how large the decision tree is? It has more nodes than I can imagine. It would take trillions of years to search it fully. So I'm unable to tell what my best move is at any point until the game is very near the end.

I can run random simulations, but that's of very little help when there's just one cunning path a snake can take. I'm likely to miss it, or lose it in the noise.

What the random simulations are good for is checking whether certain snakes are fated to die on a particular move or not yet, trying to find whether it's possible for a certain snake to still win, etc. But in terms of actually helping me win this thing, I don't think it's much, if any, use at all.

[Last edited by Chris at 09-11-2006 09:23 PM]
09-11-2006 at 09:20 PM
Chris
Hikari wrote:
Hey, Chris? Are there any ways at all right now for me to escape the SE quadrant of the game map?

Yes, you can make it up into the NE quadrant.
09-11-2006 at 09:28 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
trick wrote:
So. Rabscuttle went suicidal!

That was unexpected.

- Gerry
09-11-2006 at 10:45 PM
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
Looks like working during the day has finally killed me! At least I've found a way out of the center, if not for a survivable path... and it's too bad I didn't see it before. :P
09-11-2006 at 10:53 PM
zex20913
It killed me too! Meany.

09-11-2006 at 11:23 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
trick wrote:
trick wrote:
So. Rabscuttle went suicidal!

That was unexpected.

- Gerry

garg! I forgot to enter moves! :selftwak
09-12-2006 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Graaagh.

You know, it's the waiting that's the worst part. I won't know for another 3.5 hours if I need to modify my movelist at this point or not.

09-12-2006 at 08:45 AM
<<26272829
Page 30 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com