Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<23242526
Page 27 of 32
28293031>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Chris wrote:
NiroZ wrote
You can allways use Camstudio, which happens to be opensource.
Not quite always - only if you've bought Microsoft's "Windows" operating system and it still works, which isn't the case for me.

Do you know of anything suitable for Linux?

er, WINE?
09-06-2006 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
Chaco wrote:
Well, alright - how about one third of a second per frame? Is that too fast?

Sorry to be a bother, really. If it helps, I found this article on how to make MPEGS out of images in Linux.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-9N_mcT3A

This is 3 frames per second, up to turn 229, and it looks OK to me. I wish there was some way to rewind and fast-forward through the video, but youtube seems to delete all but one of the keyframes I added to the movie.

Thanks for the URL above. I had previously considered taking individual screenshots and sticking them together later but rejected the idea, but in fact it works out really well. I can now keep the old screenshots and just make new ones as new turns pass.

[Last edited by Chris at 09-06-2006 11:14 AM : re-uploaded movie and changed the URL correspondingly. finishing positions were off-by-one previously]
09-06-2006 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
NiroZ wrote:
Chris wrote:
NiroZ wrote
You can allways use Camstudio, which happens to be opensource.
Not quite always - only if you've bought Microsoft's "Windows" operating system and it still works, which isn't the case for me.

Do you know of anything suitable for Linux?

er, WINE?

I'm not sure that screen capture apps will work in WINE.
09-06-2006 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Yeah! I thought so. Three frames per second is the ideal speed, I'd say. It's fast, but not so fast you miss important details.

Nice blinking effect with the two-deaths-in-one-turn. :)

09-06-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Chaco wrote:
Ugh. I hadn't watched that far into the movie. I'll fix that before the next update.
09-06-2006 at 12:39 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
jbluestein wrote:
In that case, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jason dies on turn 268. Someone is going into that trap at the top, and I'm pretty sure it isn't Someone Else.

Josh

I can't see any reason why I might die. Can someone enlighten me, or can I survive?

[Last edited by Jason at 09-06-2006 06:00 PM]
09-06-2006 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708

File: jason_death.PNG (103.3 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
Jason wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
In that case, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jason dies on turn 268. Someone is going into that trap at the top, and I'm pretty sure it isn't Someone Else.

Josh

I can't see any reason why I might die. Can someone enlighten me, or can I survive?

You will die because you have no choices anymore - from now on until you reach a dead end, all your moves are inflexible. The only way you can survive is if another serpent enters the same loop as you are on, and either A - take your place, or B - cross it in exactly such a timing such as their head will push you out of the loop. A is unlikely unless someone does it deliberately, and B is even less likely (and probably not possible).

Attached is an image showing your path until the end.

09-06-2006 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yes! Doom jumped. This gives me access to one of the larger pockets of space, which may become quite useful since the center is becoming pretty crowded.

Problem is, Hikari's going to be getting in my way on the way there. So I'll have to wait and see if I can get into there. It'll improve my chances of survival if I do.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-06-2006 08:22 PM]
09-06-2006 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
eytanz wrote:
The only way you can survive is if another serpent enters the same loop as you are on, and either A - take your place, or B - cross it in exactly such a timing such as their head will push you out of the loop. A is unlikely unless someone does it deliberately, and B is even less likely (and probably not possible).

There are another couple of possibilities - another serpent can enter the same loop, but in the opposite direction. The loop isn't necessarily deadly, and so it's not all that unlikely that someone will enter it from the right and head upwards, anti-clockwise around the loop. Alternatively, another serpent can fill in the bottom of the loop without entering the loop, by crossing it from left to right.

Jason can still win this contest, theoretically.
09-06-2006 at 08:23 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Chris wrote:
eytanz wrote:
The only way you can survive is if another serpent enters the same loop as you are on, and either A - take your place, or B - cross it in exactly such a timing such as their head will push you out of the loop. A is unlikely unless someone does it deliberately, and B is even less likely (and probably not possible).

There are another couple of possibilities - another serpent can enter the same loop, but in the opposite direction. The loop isn't necessarily deadly, and so it's not all that unlikely that someone will enter it from the right and head upwards, anti-clockwise around the loop. Alternatively, another serpent can fill in the bottom of the loop without entering the loop, by crossing it from left to right.

Jason can still win this contest, theoretically.

A serpent filling in the bottom of the loop is committing suicide. Any snake going clockwise around that loop is going to end at the top of the arena with either snake body or Jason's head south of them, unless another snake conspires by entering the loop in a clockwise manner.

Jason may be saveable (although I think that there are only a couple of snakes who might be able to do it), but I'm pretty sure that the only way to do it would be to enter the loop in a counter-clockwise fashion. I count two snakes who might be able to do that (there may be more), but none who I'd rate as likely to do it.

09-06-2006 at 08:32 PM
Chaco
Also, who would want to? A snake dying early means more space for the rest of them.

09-06-2006 at 08:33 PM
Chris
I'm not saying it's likely. All I'm doing is trying to correct eytanz's statement that there are only 2 ways Jason can survive, by listing another couple of possibilities.

And jbluestein, it is possible for a serpent to fill in the bottom of the loop without committing suicide. goldenlion is in a position to do so, for example. If he turns around (JBB) then jumps up to just above the level of the bottom of the loop (JJJ), he can bump to the right and jump into the loop (BJ), bump down to the bottom of the loop (B), jump across the bottom of the loop and out again (JJ). Then a bump will take him towards a relatively open area.

I'm sure there are others who can save Jason too. But you're right - they probably won't, unless it's coincidental to their own plans.
09-06-2006 at 08:57 PM
jbluestein
Chris wrote:
And jbluestein, it is possible for a serpent to fill in the bottom of the loop without committing suicide. goldenlion is in a position to do so, for example. If he turns around (JBB) then jumps up to just above the level of the bottom of the loop (JJJ), he can bump to the right and jump into the loop (BJ), bump down to the bottom of the loop (B), jump across the bottom of the loop and out again (JJ). Then a bump will take him towards a relatively open area.

You're right.

Just goes to show, you can eyeball things all you like and still miss something.

Josh

09-06-2006 at 09:03 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ah, well, looks like im dead, which serves me right for not looking ahead i suppose.

Goodbye cruel world :~( *sniff*

I've always wanted to say that.
09-07-2006 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Chris wrote:
Chaco wrote:
Ugh. I hadn't watched that far into the movie. I'll fix that before the next update.
Here's the next update, up to move 239:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21slvVM9rQ

And NiroZ, don't give up hope yet - there's still a way out for you. I made a movie showing you winning the whole contest from your current position if you're interested - or would that be giving too much away?
09-07-2006 at 07:58 AM
jbluestein
Well, enough of my predictions about the unavoidability of death have been wrong that have limited confidence, but...I believe that there are no snakes in position at this point to prevent Jason's death on turn 265.

I have entered him on the Soon-to-be-Dead Snakes roster, with it looking like he'll end up in 26th place.

Anyone care to prove me wrong?

Josh

09-07-2006 at 02:56 PM
Chris
jbluestein wrote:
Well, enough of my predictions about the unavoidability of death have been wrong that have limited confidence, but...I believe that there are no snakes in position at this point to prevent Jason's death on turn 265.

I have entered him on the Soon-to-be-Dead Snakes roster, with it looking like he'll end up in 26th place.

I'm just getting in the bath, so I don't have time to spell it out, but he's still not doomed.

I'm not sure if he can still win or not, but he can definitely survive into the 300's. Check goldenlion again - he can still save Jason.
09-07-2006 at 03:38 PM
jbluestein
Chris wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

I'm just getting in the bath, so I don't have time to spell it out, but he's still not doomed.

I'm not sure if he can still win or not, but he can definitely survive into the 300's. Check goldenlion again - he can still save Jason.

Wow...that's a twisted path. Requires help from kie as well as some pretty intentional moves from goldenlion. I guess we'll know if it's even possible in three moves. Could even be sooner -- goldenlion could jump on the next turn (244) and eliminate this entire path.

09-07-2006 at 03:50 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Please! Goldenlion! Save my life! :(

09-07-2006 at 04:12 PM
Chris
OK. Now you can say that Jason will die on turn 265 and you won't hear any dissent from me!

Rest In Peace, Jason.
09-07-2006 at 06:01 PM
jbluestein
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
What's the matter, Eytan? Too hot in the center arena for you?

09-07-2006 at 08:02 PM
jbluestein
Also: we are only a few turns away from a decision point which could result in the first center-arena snake death.

If goldenlion jumps (has jumped) on turn #249, then I believe Tuttle dies.

09-07-2006 at 08:08 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
jbluestein wrote:
What's the matter, Eytan? Too hot in the center arena for you?

Well, I figured bflatjeff had enough time being banished to the outskirts and someone really should take over for him.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-07-2006 09:11 PM]
09-07-2006 at 08:09 PM
Chaco
I *think* (that is, I THINK) that even with Hikari and Kevin messing things up, I can get to where I want to go.

09-07-2006 at 09:09 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
With school starting up, and the increased complexity of the center, I'm running on hunches here. I have a general goal, but not much time for full planning, so I'll probably make a mess of it.

This is definitely a unique game, but it seems like player fatigue is as much a factor as ability to plan. Japanese, Diffrential Equations and an algorithms class reallly don't leave alot of snake time for me.

If there were an easy way to shape the snakes, a smaller version would make a nice board game, but shapiung seems like it would get weird after multiple jumps. It would look really cool though, since by the end of the game it would be a huge snake pile.

09-07-2006 at 09:21 PM
Chaco
Aw, man! Techant just entered the arena and completely messed up my plans. This makes things much harder for me, seeing as I no longer have an easy route to my goal.

Until now, it was the subarena just above the lower-right corner, which had no snakes in it and was pretty big. However, techant will get one of those spaces and Hikari can just bump, getting directly in my way and complicating things enormously. Also, this would then keep me from getting back out of the subarena.

09-08-2006 at 02:19 AM
jbluestein
OK, well...goldenlion bumped, so Tuttle survives.

For now, anyway.

09-08-2006 at 03:13 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
When does the September Contest start, or are you too cheap to let us have two running at the same time?
09-08-2006 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
This ought to be interesting, eytanz. I need to do some recalculating, as I thought you might be coming my way, but two turns later than you actually are (that bump two of your bends ago).

This could be very interesting, indeed.

Jeff

09-08-2006 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Has Chris killed RabidChild?

09-08-2006 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
<<23242526
Page 27 of 32
28293031>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com