Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<19202122
Page 23 of 32
24252627>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Timo006 wrote:
Doom wrote:
Another important turn behind. Tahnan missed his chance to get a free route into the center that would've killed me as well. He could've jumped over me due to movement order and have U-turned at the bottom left corner, before turning north on the way back.

That ends the 60+ turn horror-streak of me not being able to do anything and nearly getting killed twice. (note to self: Plan ahead. More. Even more.) I should now have a guaranteed route into the center, no matter what Tahnan and Darkmatt do. That is, if my analysis doesn't have any flaws...
I'm not so sure about your analysis, I don't see any way for you to go to the middle because you will jump foreward, then bumb clockwise and after that, you will jump clockwise, your snake will not make a U-turn. Besides, Darkmatt still has the big possibility to kill you. :?
What? You expected me to jump on turn 121? True. That would've been a bad move. ;)

Tahnan, by the way, got some extra time because of Darkmatt's latest bump. Good luck trying to get out, both of them: It's not completely impossible, but with two snakes on that area, I think it's fairly unlikely. And it might soon be three. (I'm looking at techant)
08-28-2006 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
It seems that zex20913 is about to bite coppro's head off.

08-28-2006 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Maurog wrote:
It seems that zex20913 is about to bite coppro's head off.
hmmmm.. I wonder if that was in his own best interest. It's definitely good for you, though.
08-28-2006 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Whoa. I worked through all sorts of ideas for how to get out of that box like Maurog said it was possible to, couldn't find one, then realized after posting all my findings that I'd overlooked *one* way to get back out that happened to be the only way to escape it. o_O Yay for the delete-post option.

Now that I examine things, I can even see a way for Sergenth to pull off getting in and out of there without dying. At least, without dying if nobody sabotages things while he's in there.

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-28-2006 01:45 PM]
08-28-2006 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
...aaaand Watcher just decided to do what I was trying to do. Oh well. :)

08-28-2006 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: deathtrap.gif (61.8 KB)
Downloaded 432 times.
License: Public Domain
*One* way to get back out? There is a choice out of three.
Click here to view the secret text

Not that walking into that trap is recommended to anyone...

08-28-2006 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Doom wrote:
Timo006 wrote:
Doom wrote:
Another important turn behind. Tahnan missed his chance to get a free route into the center that would've killed me as well. He could've jumped over me due to movement order and have U-turned at the bottom left corner, before turning north on the way back.

That ends the 60+ turn horror-streak of me not being able to do anything and nearly getting killed twice. (note to self: Plan ahead. More. Even more.) I should now have a guaranteed route into the center, no matter what Tahnan and Darkmatt do. That is, if my analysis doesn't have any flaws...
I'm not so sure about your analysis, I don't see any way for you to go to the middle because you will jump foreward, then bumb clockwise and after that, you will jump clockwise, your snake will not make a U-turn. Besides, Darkmatt still has the big possibility to kill you. :?
What? You expected me to jump on turn 121? True. That would've been a bad move. ;)

Tahnan, by the way, got some extra time because of Darkmatt's latest bump. Good luck trying to get out, both of them: It's not completely impossible, but with two snakes on that area, I think it's fairly unlikely. And it might soon be three. (I'm looking at techant)

However, you did jump on turn 121. So why were you saying
that I'd expected it when it was a bit clear that it would happen :look .

08-28-2006 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Doom jumped on turn #120 and bumped on turn #121.

08-28-2006 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Heh. Those are all essentially the same path, Maurog. Just two of them take longer than one of them to get there.

For purposes of Snake discussion, I'm treating options that have the same end result and don't affect the final moves any more than to make the snake coil a little more before the important moves as the same. The important parts in that moveset are JBBBB, as any action that doesn't make those three decisions will result in death. Once you're past that, all paths are essentially the same and just take different amounts of time.

08-28-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Different amounts of time are pretty critical in this game, however, as they determine your relative position to other serpents.

08-28-2006 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Graaaagh.

I was just using the situation to play with the idea of one snake doing it with nothing else to worry about. >_<

The simple fact remains that there is no way to escape that box now without using JBBBB as your initial movelist upon entering it.

08-28-2006 at 11:33 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
ErikH2000 wrote:
Ugh, I want to mod myself down. Let's hope I didn't screw up too many other things. I am definitely done making witty predictions in unhidetime tags. But I'll leave those ones there so you can see how deluded I was.

-Erik
And leaving them in unhideltime tags means that hopefully people will forget about them. :P

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 08-29-2006 01:27 AM]
08-29-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
coppro wrote:
I misplanned early in the game, and now I am not only alone, but on a clear path to the center.

Nope.

You're toast.

08-29-2006 at 01:52 AM
eytanz
zex20913 wrote:
coppro wrote:
I misplanned early in the game, and now I am not only alone, but on a clear path to the center.

Nope.

You're toast.

Initially I thought you were responding to Chaco and I was mightily confused, but then I noticed it was Coppro you were talking to, who is indeed a dead serpent slithering.

08-29-2006 at 03:26 AM
Jolima
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
It seems Chris won the battle of the lower right corner. Techant might be able to get to the center from the next arena but neither I nor jamesdenem has any chance.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :)

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. - Douglas Adams
08-29-2006 at 07:40 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
In the ongoing saga of dead snakes, I'd like to add the following:

08-29-2006 at 07:40 PM
tyrion
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
So with jamesdenem bumping, the bottom right and center areas are decided. Chris lives. Darkmatt, jamesdenem, techant, Tahnan, Jolima are all dead snakes slithering.
08-29-2006 at 07:41 PM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
If only he had jumped instead of bumped, I might have survived.... Well, good luck to those who are continuing after me.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-29-2006 at 07:42 PM
jbluestein
tyrion wrote:
So with jamesdenem bumping, the bottom right and center areas are decided. Chris lives. Darkmatt, jamesdenem, techant, Tahnan, Jolima are all dead snakes slithering.

I disagree with you on at least one of those points.

But we'll know for sure in a day or so.

08-29-2006 at 07:43 PM
eytanz
tyrion wrote:

I agree with jbluestein - at least one of those snakes has a way to survive, if it's owner takes care to make the right moves.

08-29-2006 at 07:45 PM
jbluestein
A shift in the balance of power:

08-29-2006 at 11:08 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Owch. That hurt.

Fortunately, it was unavoidable on my part more moves ago than one can forsee in this, so I can rest easy knowing I didn't stupidly kill myself.

And tim006 seems to have decided to commit a suicide bombing, likely bringing with him the life of Someone Else, and perhaps one or two others.

[Last edited by coppro at 08-30-2006 02:57 AM]
08-30-2006 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I wouldn't say that "tim006" decided to do anything. His path was pretty much determined for much longer than yours was (note - not entirely correct because he could have bumped in the middle, but the end result wouldn't have changed too much).

But speaking of bad decisions, Tahnan's recent decision to bump basically, and finally, took him out of the running. For a smart guy, he really has a knack of doing exactly the wrong thing over and over and over...

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-30-2006 05:53 AM]
08-30-2006 at 05:11 AM
Doom
eytanz wrote:
But speaking of bad decisions, Tahnan's recent decision to bump basically, and finally, took him out of the running. For a smart guy, he really has a knack of doing exactly the wrong thing over and over and over...
I disagree.

Tahnan's previous chosen bump enabled someone to reuse the route that goldenlion used to leave from the southern area. The problem is that other snakes can get there before him if they play correctly, but it was really the only chance for Tahnan. Jumping instead would've been a certain doom for all of the three snakes on that area.
08-30-2006 at 05:22 AM
eytanz
It's a moot point because Techant bumped, but had both Tahnan and Techant jumped, and then Tahnan jumped again when facing Techant's head, he would have reached the exit first. So yeah, it's not like jumping would have saved him, but it was a better chance than bumping which as far as I can tell offers him no chance at all.

08-30-2006 at 05:32 AM
eytanz
Blech. I shouldn't post when I'm tired - Ignore what I said above about tim006, which is patently wrong (it's true that his decision was made a long time ago, but not nearly as long ago as Coppro's). I still think Tahnan would have had a better chance of leaving if he jumped.

08-30-2006 at 06:11 AM
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
jbluestein wrote:

I just found an Internet cafe to check my progress over night. I'm delighted to see that jamesdenem and Jolima didn't conspire together to kill me, and that I've managed to finally escape from the confines of the outer area I've been trapped in all week.

jbluestein wrote:

08-30-2006 at 08:31 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Am I missing something, or did Maurog suicide? (Only zex can save him, by suiciding himself.)
08-30-2006 at 09:12 AM
Doom
eytanz wrote:
It's a moot point because Techant bumped, but had both Tahnan and Techant jumped, and then Tahnan jumped again when facing Techant's head, he would have reached the exit first. So yeah, it's not like jumping would have saved him, but it was a better chance than bumping which as far as I can tell offers him no chance at all.
I think we my be looking at two different situations. Or then I'm just stupid today... I still see zero survival options for Tahnan's earlier jump, and one (low) survival possibility for bumping at that place. Could you maybe make a quick image or something for clearer view. (I'll get a chance for that in about 5 hours from now, otherwise)
08-30-2006 at 09:44 AM
jbluestein
michthro wrote:
Am I missing something, or did Maurog suicide? (Only zex can save him, by suiciding himself.)

I think you're right -- Maurog is going to die in 26 turns.

08-30-2006 at 12:09 PM
<<19202122
Page 23 of 32
24252627>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com