Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<78910
Page 11 of 32
12131415>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Tim wrote:
A question about this interface. My current list has lots of letters in it. If I empty this list now, will I still jump at the appropriate places and end up in the exit?
Rules::
How does an uncommanded snake move? He tries, in order, one of seven movements and performs the first that is possible. The movements are:

1. Head moves forward 1 square.
2. Head turns clockwise and moves forward 1 square.
3. Head turns counter-clockwise and moves forward 1 square.
4. Head jumps forward 1 or more squares.
5. Head turns clockwise and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
6. Head turns counter-clockwise and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
7. Head u-turns 180 degrees and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
ie. a snake without a command is the same as a snake told to "B" - it will bump if it can, else attempt to jump.

08-16-2006 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
Chris wrote:
Tim wrote:
A question about this interface. My current list has lots of letters in it. If I empty this list now, will I still jump at the appropriate places and end up in the exit?
Rules::
How does an uncommanded snake move? He tries, in order, one of seven movements and performs the first that is possible. The movements are:

1. Head moves forward 1 square.
2. Head turns clockwise and moves forward 1 square.
3. Head turns counter-clockwise and moves forward 1 square.
4. Head jumps forward 1 or more squares.
5. Head turns clockwise and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
6. Head turns counter-clockwise and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
7. Head u-turns 180 degrees and jumps forward 1 or more squares.
ie. a snake without a command is the same as a snake told to "B" - it will bump if it can, else attempt to jump.

And, more to the point, an all-bump move roster for Tim's snake in fact is the shortest path to the exit.

08-16-2006 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
In my chamber, McFrugal chose to bump on turn 35 instead of jump, which meant that all I could do by jumping on turn 36 was increase my chances of making an error and prolong the time to making an escape.

Had he jumped, I would have taken no pleasure in jumping as well and guaranteeing the death of his snake...but nevertheless, I would have done so. Sometimes one must do these things.

08-16-2006 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Well, it looks like (due to movement order) I'll be the first snake on the right hand side! :)

08-16-2006 at 03:13 PM
jbluestein
Whoops, I missed a couple. There are actually four snakes who are in indeterminate states at the moment. With proper moves, they can survive, but with the wrong ones they will die.

So we could have as few as 38 in the main arena, although my money is still on 42.

08-16-2006 at 04:41 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Once everyone will make it out no matter what, can we just skip to the main arena?
08-16-2006 at 06:05 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Someone Else wrote:
Once everyone will make it out no matter what, can we just skip to the main arena?
Yeah, it looks like the only undecided people now (turn #45) are Mattcrampy, Pinnacle, and Coppro. And their remaining choices should be resolved today. So I will plan to start everyone in the second snakepit at:

Local Time:08-18-2006 at 01:00 AM

The snakepit will start with 24 hours of filler space in front of all snakes so that nobody is put at an obvious disadvantage by their timezone. I will try to design the snakepit to make it impossible for anyone to die in the first 2 or 3 days. All commands in the player's queues from the first snakepit will be removed.

If anyone died as a result of not understanding the command-entering interface or perhaps a bug occured in the interface, then please send me an e-mail describing your situation including details of what moves you entered. (Feel free to copy and paste what you've already written in this topic.) If you had a problem with the interface, I can probably resurrect your snake in the second snakepit. If you misunderstood the snake movement rules, made a bad judgment, or weren't present to control your snake, then I won't resurrect your snake. You need to send that e-mail before the second snakepit comes online at the above time. After that, it's too late.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-16-2006 07:05 PM]
08-16-2006 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
ErikH2000 wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Yeah, it looks like the only undecided people now (turn #45) are Mattcrampy, Pinnacle, and Coppro.

I believe that Niccus is also undecided, but that should change shortly as well.

Will everyone be entering the main snakepit from the same side, corresponding to their exits from the pair chambers, or will it look more like the demo snakepit that you posted prior to beginning the contest, with snakes entering from all sides?

Josh

08-16-2006 at 07:12 PM
ErikH2000
I'm going to loosen up my resurrection criteria. I'm thinking about how it seems unfair to knock Banjooie and Krishh out if I'm letting people who didn't even enter the Pair Chamber in. You can resurrect your snake if:

1. You either passed the Initial Test or entered moves in the first 24 hours.
2. You e-mail me before the 2nd snakepit goes online and ask to be resurrected.

Remember that first snakepit was meant to just be preparation for the General Arena (second snakepit). The people who survived may feel these resurrections are unfair, but I believe we will have a more interesting game with more snakes. Besides, the survivors probably got more education out of the first snakepit than the victims, so that can be their advantage.

-Erik

08-16-2006 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
jbluestein wrote:
I believe that Niccus is also undecided, but that should change shortly as well.
Ah! You can always trust me to miss something.
Will everyone be entering the main snakepit from the same side, corresponding to their exits from the pair chambers, or will it look more like the demo snakepit that you posted prior to beginning the contest, with snakes entering from all sides?
I have some specific ideas about the General Arena's design, and I'm really excited about it. But for the sake of good showmanship, I'm not going to say much more about the second snakepit. You'll just have to wait and see!

-Erik

08-16-2006 at 07:46 PM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
I already planned out my moves since yesterday ;)

Currently I have left:

Click here to view the secret text

Unless I was too sleepy last night, this should work.
08-16-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Niccus wrote:
I already planned out my moves since yesterday ;)

Currently I have left:

Click here to view the secret text

Unless I was too sleepy last night, this should work.

Hmmm. Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, Niccus, but I am saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to send that resurrection request off to Erik, preemptive-like.

Josh

08-16-2006 at 08:04 PM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Oh, wait, squinting is bad.
08-16-2006 at 08:10 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I think Mattcrampy is dead.
08-16-2006 at 08:31 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Can someone please confirm that the GMT start time is 17-08-2006 23:00? The reason I'm not sure it's working for me is that the displayed time for the start of the initial round jumped at some point. One moment I thought it was only starting the next day, and the next moment it had already started.
08-16-2006 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Someone Else wrote:
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I think Mattcrampy is dead.

I believe that you're right. Although it's a little academic at this point, since all he has to do is email Erik and ask to be resurrected for the Main Event.

08-16-2006 at 08:41 PM
ErikH2000
michthro wrote:
Can someone please confirm that the GMT start time is 17-08-2006 23:00?
That isn't correct. The GMT start time is an hour later at 18-08-2006 00:00 (midnight).

If your profile time zone is set correctly (daylight savings too), but the time shown is incorrect, I'd appreciate if you report this as a bug on "The Site" board.

-Erik

08-16-2006 at 08:46 PM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
I would like to see as many snakes in the arena as possible. Once they are in though, no remorse!
08-16-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm not really sure where I could have jumped that would have let me survive. Mind you, if zex hadn't made that particular jump, I'd be alive, and he'd be dead.

08-17-2006 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
That statement is true, which is why I jumped.

The point where you could have jumped was when the heads of our snakes were in adjacent squares. You would have jumped over the box to your right, and survived.

As a side note, I don't know if the "email me and you're in" statement has caused this, but it seems that two snakes (at least) have chosen a suicidal route instead of a survival route, after the statement was made.

I am personally against the "rebuy" option, because I would have chosen to move differently had I known about it, and it doesn't seem fair to the snakes that did survive, that some snakes "resurrect". Still, I am not the rulemaker, so I will abide by the decision, I just don't have to like it.

08-17-2006 at 01:06 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
I believe that if you jump-insteadda-bumped at the point where the two snakes' heads met, you would have jumped over the obstacle to the east instead of turning west to head off to your doom, Banjooie. Same as tokyokid.

08-17-2006 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm sort of against the "ressurection" thing for the simple reason that what was the point of waiting 3 days was if your decisions ended up not mattering? We could just have had a short area where we could practice the interface without taking so long.

But like Zex, I'll accept the decision, just grumble a bit about it, which I just did and you won't hear any more from me on the issue.

08-17-2006 at 02:53 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
How long will there be before the first decision point?
08-17-2006 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote: The snakepit will start with 24 hours of filler space in front of all snakes so that nobody is put at an obvious disadvantage by their timezone.
So, somewhere more than 12 turns from the start, I guess.
08-17-2006 at 04:54 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Cool, thanks.
08-17-2006 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I want to be nice but this is a sudden death contest and if I could have I would have taken my pairs snake out during this round but 'jamesdenem' just wouldn't make any mistakes for me... :lol so we are both still in until the next round.

I lean towards those who think if your out your out. (That is unless you have some really good sob story and we all take a vote and we all agree you are worthy of your resurrection, no that is a little too Beethro)

I too will go along with Erik, cuz he usually makes the right decisions. I just might be really disappointed if the top three winners turn out to be players who died in this round. :w00t

Could you give them some disadvantage to punish them for dying? Maybe the worst area of the board or a area they have to plan ahead more in the beginning to show they are worthy. :)

[Last edited by techant at 08-17-2006 06:34 AM]
08-17-2006 at 06:33 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I agree. Putting the resurrected snakes in the most complicated area of the snake pit would be awesome.

08-17-2006 at 06:37 AM
ErikH2000
techant wrote:
Could you give them some disadvantage to punish them for dying? Maybe the worst area of the board or a area they have to plan ahead more in the beginning to show they are worthy. :)
That's a good idea. Okay, the resurrected snakes will be started in a tricky area.

-Erik

08-17-2006 at 07:09 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
While we're thinking of some nice evil punishments for those naughty snakes, I was thinking you could just move them to the end of the queue (order that they move in). But putting them in a tricky area would probably be enough (or both, even).
08-17-2006 at 08:02 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I would actually like to know what the people who piloted the unsuccessful snakes think.
08-17-2006 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<78910
Page 11 of 32
12131415>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com