Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Journey's End CD Cover. (A journal of my progress making art for the CD cover.)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: JourneysEndGround.jpg (102.7 KB)
Downloaded 666 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey's End CD Cover. (0)  
I replaced my roughly-drawn ground with a texture of peeling paint I got from a CD collection of textures. I applied a perspective transformation to it and added mist above it so that it recedes to total whiteness.

I added some highlights to my wall texture to make it more interesting.

Noting Gerry's comments, I changed the upper path so that you can't see the top of it. I'm really not trying to have multiple vanishing points--it just kinda happens when I'm not paying attention. I'm not adding a shadow for the upper path because by my reckoning all of the background objects are situated such that they don't cast any shadows visible in the scene.

This is probably my penultimate update. Tomorrow I'll clean up Beethro's form, add an effect that Schik recommended, and clean up any other loose ends. There's not much work left, actually!

Yes, I intend all of these images to be public domain. The higher resolution version I have of the image used for 300dpi printing will not be put into the public domain however. Also, there will be a separate version of the graphic with Smitemaster's Selection information on it. Only the images I post here are public domain.

Click here to view the secret text

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-22-2006 05:19 AM]
07-22-2006 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
That looks much better, Erik :)

- Gerry

07-22-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Journey's End CD Cover. (+1)  
I really like this concept. I'm thinking there's a problem with the bridge shadow as it's cast on the walls on the left -- the progression of shadows from our perspective should be that they ascend slightly each time the wall cuts in, rather than descend. That is, there should be no drop in shadow across the part where the wall recedes back a notch (because the shadow isn't falling there), rather than having a steeper drop across the notch.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-22-2006 07:46 AM]
07-22-2006 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah, Mike is right. The shadows are definitely doing the wrong thing...

07-22-2006 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
I think it's the queen bees.
And Beethro is running for a rather related reason: the queen bees.

They're, after all, bees *and* queens. Beethro is after all *alive* and *running*.
Geeez... and there I thought my MP3 playlist was random, until I read your post with that playing:

np: Styrofoam - Beequeen (Nothing's Lost)

07-22-2006 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
Yeah, Mike is right. The shadows are definitely doing the wrong thing...
Well, maybe the Empire's shadows just don't work the usual way? ;) (You know, flawless consistence and all that jazz...)

np: Styrofoam - Your Eyes Only (Nothing's Lost)

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-22-2006 10:14 AM]
07-22-2006 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
ErikH2000 wrote:
A question I asked myself is what are these things I'm drawing? [..]I'm not going to tell you what I decided, but there is a reason for all the squigglies on the exterior walls of buildings. Just trust me.
Well, either they're the petrified remains of some disturbing beasties from the early Eighth (or maybe even from back when it was still a Fourth), or maybe the Empire just has this inherent Art Déco element to it.
07-22-2006 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Znirk wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
A question I asked myself is what are these things I'm drawing? [..]I'm not going to tell you what I decided, but there is a reason for all the squigglies on the exterior walls of buildings. Just trust me.
Well, either they're the petrified remains of some disturbing beasties from the early Eighth (or maybe even from back when it was still a Fourth), or maybe the Empire just has this inherent Art Déco element to it.

Seep tunnels?

07-22-2006 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Hmmm, for some reason, the picture just has that uncomplete (for lack of a better word) 'twang' to it. I think maybe, seeing that you have made the lightsource a 'foggy' light source,(like when you can see the sun's rays) thus, you should be able to see the shadow of the bridge effect on that, surly? also, wouldn't the light be coming from directly above?
thus you shouldn't see its effect on the wall?

Also, this is probably me being picky, but i think that there should be a slight buldge in the wall around the enterence to the cliff, as i get the feeling Bethro is walking into a sheer rockface. (if you crop the picture from above the bridge, you'll see what i mean)

Also, beethro's sword looks bent, and his stide too large.

I like what you have done to the rockface, however. It gives it a 'lost temple' feel.
07-22-2006 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
mrimer wrote:
I really like this concept. I'm thinking there's a problem with the bridge shadow as it's cast on the walls on the left -- the progression of shadows from our perspective should be that they ascend slightly each time the wall cuts in, rather than descend. That is, there should be no drop in shadow across the part where the wall recedes back a notch (because the shadow isn't falling there), rather than having a steeper drop across the notch.
I don't know if I agree with you. I stacked 3 books together (in the real world--not on a computer) and turned a lamp so it cast a shadow from a ruler across the books. Lo and behold, I reproduced the shadows as they are in the drawing. It would be necessary for me to move the light source below the books/ridges in order for the shadows to stairstep upwards.

I think probably I've screwed up somehow, but just not in the way you are saying.

-Erik

07-22-2006 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580

File: shadows.png (27 KB)
Downloaded 572 times.
No, I think Mike is right. The wall panels step inwards as we go towards the camera, right ? Have a look at this image:

The red line shows where the shadow would fall if the panels were aligned. The purple lines show where two of the "shadow edges" from the bridge arch approximately falls, as defined by the first shadow. As the upper line crosses the edge of the first panel, it's seen as going "higher" (from our perspective!) than the previous maximum, and ends up following the yellow line. (If you gave the first shadow a steeper angle, this effect would be lessened.)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the bridge support perspective before =P. I think the lighter sides of the bridge supports should get smaller as they go further right ? (If I'm right about where the vanishing point is, anyway.)

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 07-22-2006 08:48 PM]
07-22-2006 at 08:47 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, I made a paper cutout version of the building and bridge and tested some more. And what I found out was...

you guys were right.

My brain isn't a very good raytracer, apparently.

-Erik

07-22-2006 at 09:03 PM
ErikH2000

File: JourneysEndFinal.jpg (89.5 KB)
Downloaded 551 times.
icon Re: Journey's End CD Cover. (+2)  
Here's the final version. ...unless I get really guilty or obsessive about some detail and have to come back to it.

The white background is made more convincing by an extra glow that makes the whiteness bleed into the area of the objects obstructing it. This effect was demonstrated to me by Schik earlier.

I fixed the stupid shadows. It was a fair amount of effort to do it, but I agree it looks better.

I felt the placement of the leftmost wall ridge was too ambiguous, and I wanted to be clear that it was closer to the viewer than the other ridges. So I made it slightly darker and saturated and detailed some of the texture lines with yellow.

Beethro and his shadow were cleaned up.

Some suggestions of brickwork were added to the bridge sides. These are a compromise to style over realism that hopefully makes the image more interesting.

I put bluish clouds between the foremost and background architecture to emphasize distance and make the sky more complex.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-22-2006 10:32 PM]
07-22-2006 at 10:32 PM
Briareos
ErikH2000 wrote:
My brain isn't a very good raytracer, apparently.
On the other hand, a raytracer isn't a very good brain, either.

It works both ways... :)

np: SCSI-9 - Elegia (The Line Of Nine)

07-22-2006 at 10:35 PM
ErikH2000
Oh, also I forgot to mention that I changed the crevice Beethro is walking into so that it glows from inside. This was in response to NiroZ's feedback.

And the lines were changed to a darker blue. The bright blue I had before was distracting.

-Erik

07-22-2006 at 10:39 PM
Phweengee
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
That's awesome, man. I've noticed and rather enjoyed your unique art style. I particularly like how it's remained consistent from day 1. It's cool you shared with us how you do some of it. Thanks. :)

07-26-2006 at 03:13 PM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
As I say a lot... I totally love your artwork, Erik.
Fantastic.
07-26-2006 at 03:17 PM
ErikH2000
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the compliments.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 05:33 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I'll add my "thanks". It was fun to follow your process.
07-26-2006 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I like it. Its also the best artwork i can argue i helped make.

*beams with pride*

[Last edited by NiroZ at 07-27-2006 01:29 AM]
07-27-2006 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Nice Job!

07-27-2006 at 09:21 AM
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
Let me just say this from the POV of a friend of an art critic.

That image is absolutely awesome. Period. Simple, excellently done... Beautiful. :)

From the images standpoint... It looks to me like a map.

Given the eighth is a low-to-middle-tech little-to-no-magic fantasy world (though the surface knows some chemistry and has a medieval civilization with amazing clockworks - comparing well to 17th or 18th century Europe I think - and the Empire has some severe advances if they're generically engineering their populace and appearently using
- makes me wonder what Imperial music is like), runes are an unlikely explenation for the scientific-seeming Empire - even if the Eighth were a high-fantasy realm, I could not imagine the Empire being interested in magic, as it is innately unknowable, and as the Negotiator says, the Empire's pursuit is knowledge.

No realistic/reasonable electronics, sci-fi or not, are going to have that kind of surface-visible circuitry on it. If that was real circuitry on the surface, depending on the system's importance, Beethro could just casually toss a few rocks at it and break an important system. Not good.

This leaves a few logical explenations...
* Looks dramatic - the Empire has some interest in aesthetics (see Perfection), but I can't imagine them going THAT far for it.
* Is an aerodynamic setup of a sci-fi nature - the unique and varied ridging somehow serving to reduce the effect of wind on the bridge in front of it? Not entirely realistic but if we bend physics a bit, plausible.
* Is a giant map of the empire - if Beethro could only see the scale... And given the Perfectionists, the door itself would be a part of the map, too. But what is it representing?

Yay midnight overthought. :)

08-03-2006 at 09:59 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Wow. The lighting on the last picture genuinely confused my brain intro thinking there was real glare. Then again, I am due for an optician's appointment...
I love the artistic doodling on the walls, too. Very cool.
08-03-2006 at 12:34 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Are the Perfectionists even related to the Empire?

08-03-2006 at 09:32 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Maybe they're sort of like a school for very gifted architects or something.
08-03-2006 at 09:35 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Pinnacle wrote:
Are the Perfectionists even related to the Empire?

08-03-2006 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
NekoIncardine says that:

No realistic/reasonable electronics, sci-fi or not, are going to have that kind of surface-visible circuitry on it. If that was real circuitry on the surface, depending on the system's importance, Beethro could just casually toss a few rocks at it and break an important system. Not good.

What rocks? The only rocks around are apparently Beethro-sized or larger, and not to mention in JtRH level 24 at the latest (if there are some in Perfection, forgive me) That's a long way to carry a rock as big as you, and I doubt Beethro would be able to throw it far enough to damage anything.

Besides, levels 22, 24 and 25 are supposed to keep delvers out, period. Normal Imperial citizens would never partake in activities that destructive, even if the rocks were *right there* and throwable.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-03-2006 09:54 PM]
08-03-2006 at 09:52 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oh, don't be so sure. It's an Empire, there's probably been uprisings of some kind in the past.

08-04-2006 at 08:01 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I suggest you make Beethro look a bit more subtle. As of now he DOES look small, but the sword is to distracting, it doesn't really have the full feel of Another World/Out of this World.

The background I believe is nearly perfect.

:thumbsup

08-04-2006 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Snacko wrote:
I suggest you make Beethro look a bit more subtle. As of now he DOES look small, but the sword is to distracting, it doesn't really have the full feel of Another World/Out of this World.

The background I believe is nearly perfect.

:thumbsup

so you want the sword bigger or smaller, or removed? I personally think its a bit small, but meh.
08-05-2006 at 05:26 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Journey's End CD Cover. (A journal of my progress making art for the CD cover.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com