Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Guard Wubbas (or maybe shield goblins?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Guard Wubbas (+2)  
This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while now. Basically, since Wubbas aren't harmed by your sword, couldn't they be trained to seek it out?

The AI would be straightfoward: simply reverse the goblin AI, so the guard wubba's flee from your back and try to manuever toward your sword (even onto the same square, if possible). This means they're MUCH brighter than normal wubbas, but won't really trap you, just tend to force backward movement. It also means they'd be manipulable, much like goblins.

Of course, this creature wouldn't NEED to be a wubba. A goblin with a shield, or a golem made of metal, etc. Of course, regardless of the appearance, this creature could not harm you directly.

06-19-2006 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Guard Wubbas (0)  
Excellent idea Beef Row! Good name too. I personally think that wubbas and rock golems aren't that smart, so we should stick with naming it Goblin w/ shield. That gives me an idea! Hmm, Goblin w/sword! Goblin w/bow! Goblin w/add on brains! The possibilities are endless! Great idea.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-20-2006 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
UrAvgAzn wrote:
That gives me an idea! Hmm, Goblin w/sword! Goblin w/bow! Goblin w/add on brains! The possibilities are endless! Great idea.

The idea wasn't necessarily to create a whole new family of goblin creatures with every possible addition. ;-) Alot of these other ideas have been suggested before, in various forms.

Goblins with swords seem like they'd be fairly redundant, with guards and slayers already in the mix.

Personally, I do like the idea of a 'goblin shaman' that makes goblins brainy while it lives, but I'm not sure it would get much enthusiasm overall.

And the bow idea divided people pretty sharply.

These enhanced goblins would probably be most likely to show up if the goblins eventually appear as a MAJOR force of their own.

I'm not sure what kind of creature I'd prefer for my idea, thats why I suggested a few... its the mechanics of it I liked.

06-20-2006 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
MAIN TANK CAN'T KEEP AGGRO! RAID WIPE! RAID WIPE!
06-20-2006 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Banjooie wrote:
Are you sure?
06-20-2006 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Guard Wubbas (+2)  
Syntax wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Are you sure?
+--------------------------------------------+-+
| Deadly Popup Window of Doom                | |
+--------------------------------------------+-+
|                                              |
|  /-\   This will bafargle all your hurgled   |
|  |?|   data. Continue?                       |
|  \-/                                         |
|        [ Sure ] [ Of course ] [ Go ahead ]   |
+----------------------------------------------+

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-20-2006 10:39 AM]
06-20-2006 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: Guard Wubbas (+1)  
lol! I would mod you up for this, but I don't thinking that blaming all this kafaffle on Doom is fair ;)

Plus, you're 70 points closer to the 1000 than me.

Plus, there's no "Accept and close" button in your window.

Plus, I'm tired.

/me mods down... ;)
06-20-2006 at 10:46 AM
UrAvgAzn
'When Nerds Collide'

You haven't forgotten about that yet have you? Ah well, since you are losing, I'll mod you up.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-20-2006 at 03:50 PM
Syntax
:) thanks! I haven't forgotten at all, and am proud (in a way) of being in your sig. Looks like I've already lost the battle however, but here's hoping B goes on holiday over the summer, or some such :)
06-20-2006 at 04:00 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
:) thanks! I haven't forgotten at all, and am proud (in a way) of being in your sig. Looks like I've already lost the battle however, but here's hoping B goes on holiday over the summer, or some such :)
Heh. I'm not really the type to go on holiday (other than staying at home, doing nothing), so I guess that's another loss... :P

06-20-2006 at 04:08 PM
Syntax
Briareos wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Heh. I'm not really the type to go on holiday (other than staying at home, doing nothing), so I guess that's another loss... :P
Damn!
Guess I'll just get VaC to mod me up. Should make up for the your helpfulness in H&S. Hopefully ;)
06-20-2006 at 04:35 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
Maybe we will just cut it here?[/offtopic]
Geeze, I can't believe I'm saying this... ^_^

And by the way, I would like to ask some more the idea:
is this bringing anything new to the game?
I mean, even though I like this idea, I'm wondering whether it has some puzzle potential and it mixes well with other elements, or not... (Not that I can't see anything for myself, but...)

06-20-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Syntax wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Syntax wrote:
(some stuff)
(some stuff contradicting Syntax's (some stuff))
Damn!
Guess I'll just get VaC to mod me up. Should make up for the your helpfulness in H&S. Hopefully ;)

Who or what is a VaC?

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-21-2006 at 12:07 AM
Beef Row
skell wrote:
is this bringing anything new to the game?
I mean, even though I like this idea, I'm wondering whether it has some puzzle potential and it mixes well with other elements, or not... (Not that I can't see anything for myself, but...)

Well, mixing them in with ordinary monsters would prevent you from just simply pointing your sword toward the nearest foe.

The balancing act involved in guiding them to your sides and back while keeping goblins in front should be an interesting challenge in itself, since you're fighting both their tendencies instead of just one, yet they are clearly related.

They would encourage backward manuevering, increased use of back and side swiping, etc.

And they would really fill a new role as an impediment to movement and attack that however would rarely truly trap you.
(Although they have enough potential to trap that puzzles could be built around manuevering them away from narrow corridors, whice in large quantities they would seal.)

So yeah, I think there's puzzle potential. Just how much is hard to be entirely sure without a test implementation, but I do see them filling a fairly significant niche.

06-21-2006 at 12:46 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
UrAvgAzn wrote:

Who or what is a VaC?

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

VodkaAndCoke, Syntax's spouse/wife/fiancé/other person who uses the same computer.

06-21-2006 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Guard Wubbas (or maybe shield goblins?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com