Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Death to Death! (Our contest for May '06)
Page 5 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
IP: Logged
icon Re: Death to Death! (0)  
Is there a list anywhere of basic contest submission requirements? I assume allowing editing by anyone would be good, but is there anything else I should make sure I do before I submit?
05-14-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
If you don't mind, I would enjoy seeing a demo for the level, just to see how to finish the rooms, I'm not smart enough to finish half these entries!
05-14-2006 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I've abused a bunch of methods to ensure you can't kill monsters, but I'm especially hoping I found one that not many people will use.

05-14-2006 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Ha, finished. It took me some time, but I'm completely sure, that there are no rooms where you can kill monsters without punishment.
Click here to view the secret text

And I can't wait to see the results, and play other holds :D.

Well, good luck to everybody

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:43 PM : Going to the keep]
05-14-2006 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tooth and Nail
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
I've desided to use no scripting at all in my hold, save for charictor interaction, all my no-monster kill puzzles are based entirely on game mechanics. Even if i don't win this thing, its gonna be an awesome hold.

God, I can't wait to play the other submissions.

Zim: GIR? What does the 'g' stand for?

GIR: I don't know!
05-15-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Banjooie wrote:
I've abused a bunch of methods to ensure you can't kill monsters, but I'm especially hoping I found one that not many people will use.

I am still confused -
Is the goal to make the room so Beethro can't kill the monster? I thought the rules said the monsters had to be killable? The point was that Beethro could kill the monsters but he was not supposed to. Making it that Beethro can't kill the monsters and get out of the room was the goal I was pursuing. Am I wrong in this?

05-16-2006 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
IMO you're on the right track. I think the thrust of the rules is that if Beethro can kill a monster and then finish the level, you failed. If it's physically impossible for him to kill a monster, that's okay, and if it's possible to kill a monster but this then makes the rest of the room/level impossible to complete, that's okay too.

Most of my rooms are the sort that allow you to kill a monster but then become unsolvable. In one I'm pretty sure that killing is completely impossible (at least not without dying on the same move), and one allows you to kill a monster and leave the room, but the next room is certain death if you do so.
05-16-2006 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
techant wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

I am still confused -
Is the goal to make the room so Beethro can't kill the monster? I thought the rules said the monsters had to be killable? The point was that Beethro could kill the monsters but he was not supposed to. Making it that Beethro can't kill the monsters and get out of the room was the goal I was pursuing. Am I wrong in this?
I would agree that you've the correct understanding. Killing should be *possible*, but would then render the room unsolveable.

Monster RIP => Beethro RIP

Tuttle, I like your dual-room twist and am looking forward to its implementation. Guess it's not strictly in the rules, but then nothing ever truly is ;)

[EDIT]

I have no idea what is implied by my last statement, but sounded good at the time.

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-16-2006 11:06 AM]
05-16-2006 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Syntax wrote:
Tuttle, I like your dual-room twist and am looking forward to its implementation. Guess it's not strictly in the rules, but then nothing ever truly is ;)
Don't look forward to it too much. It's a cheap trick. :D
05-16-2006 at 12:48 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
So I have 6 rooms done in this... (4 scripted, 2 unscripted)... but this is finals week, so I'm not sure how many more I'll be able to make.

If I can't quite finish, should I submit anyway? Or just wait and release it post-contest?

05-16-2006 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Well, I'm finished with mine. I expect it to get fairly low marks from folks as it's very basic, but part of it was the exercise of me learning how to actually build rooms.

No scripting, just clever (and not-so-clever) ways of doing it. I look forward to seeing what the pros can do with this!

Josh

05-16-2006 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Submit it anyway, I'll put it in the anthology. Which reminds me, I better start making it.
05-16-2006 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I've got about six rooms done, with... four or so actual puzzles.

The simplest is to just smack a lone serpent in a room with no dead-ends - it's invincible ;)

05-16-2006 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
I thought the rules stated that you must be able to kill a monsters in at least 9 rooms, but this would cause you to die or get stuck, so that wouldn't work. Of course you could make cheap modifications to that idea, for example an orb that creates a serpent trap in the middle of the room, but closes the exit.
05-16-2006 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Rechecking... Hmm, in 2 of my 9 monsterful rooms it's impossible to kill anything at all.

I'm just going to go with rule 6 here. I doubt that adding some lame not-part-of-the-room monster killing tricks would really make those seem any better.
05-16-2006 at 08:50 PM
jbluestein
icon Re: Death to Death! (+1)  
Doom wrote:
Rechecking... Hmm, in 2 of my 9 monsterful rooms it's impossible to kill anything at all.

I'm just going to go with rule 6 here. I doubt that adding some lame not-part-of-the-room monster killing tricks would really make those seem any better.

I'd wager that the spirit of the contest is more important. If you're designing something based on not killing monsters, then I expect people will take it on its own merits. I certainly will.

All of my rooms have monsters that can be killed, with side effects ranging from annoying to catastrophic. Well, as catastrophic as it can get for Beethro, anyway.

05-16-2006 at 09:13 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
My interpretation is that you must have 9 "killable" monsters, meaning they can die, not nessecarily in that room. A lone serpent with no dead end is considered killable. That means that you could just make a corny Slayer-chase hold. In fact, I might just do that, but probably not. These architecture things never quite hit my fancy, mainly because I am prone to Architect's Block.
05-16-2006 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I've made rooms based around the idea of /saving/ monsters in order to advance. You can still die, but you can't really kill anything.
05-17-2006 at 02:23 AM
techant
Banjooie wrote:
I've made rooms based around the idea of /saving/ monsters in order to advance. You can still die, but you can't really kill anything.

wOW that's a wild idea, saving monsters, can't wait to play that hold. In fact everyones sounds great. I hope that I can submit something but I went on vacation this month and may just have run out of time.

05-17-2006 at 05:08 AM
jbluestein
coppro wrote:
My interpretation is that you must have 9 "killable" monsters, meaning they can die, not nessecarily in that room. A lone serpent with no dead end is considered killable.

How is a lone serpent in a room with no dead end killable? I would think that would be an example of an unkillable monster, like a roach on a platform you can't reach in a mimicless room.

Josh

05-17-2006 at 03:10 PM
Banjooie
Well, I mean 'can't kill' as in 'can't kill and keep moving.'
05-17-2006 at 10:58 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Well, I finished my hold! So if my Calculus grade on the exam tommorow is horrible I'll know what to blame ;)

It has several rooms where you have to save/protect monsters, and the scripting level ranges from none at all to intensive.

This contest was a really excellent way for me to learn how to build rooms with more puzzles and chases and less (no) all out battles. I'll upload after I verify one evil evil room is beatable (I beat it before, but wouldn't swear nothing at all changed since). I think you'll all be able to guess which one has me hung up when you see it.

05-18-2006 at 04:58 AM
Ezlo
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES I CAN'T CONTROL, I MIGHT HAVE TO END THE CONTEST ON THE 19 OF MAY. THERE IS A CHANCE I MIGHT NOT, SO DON"T BE TOO ALARMED. SORRY.
05-18-2006 at 06:43 PM
Tuttle
Doesn't affect me (mine's done and submitted), but I can imagine some people out there are going to be at least a little miffed at having their deadline shrunk. Especially those who might not visit the thread between now and when they try to submit on the 20th.

Without knowing what those circumstances are, but assuming they come under the category of "real life", I personally think it'd be better delaying the vote a week or so if necessary, rather than cutting the contest short.

But then again, maybe everyone's mostly done and nobody minds.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 05-19-2006 12:40 AM]
05-19-2006 at 12:38 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Death to Death! (+3)  
I don't mind taking over Ezlo's task here if he really doesn't have time.
(I will need some rights to view the entries of course.)
05-19-2006 at 12:58 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Thanks, Tim. Also, I e-mailed Ezlo to work out a way where the deadline will not come early.

-Erik

05-19-2006 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ostegolectr1c
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116
icon Re: Death to Death! (+2)  
Can somebody help me ?

Let's see ... I've got this rock golem area.
I have a scripted charachter.

Wait for event "Monster stabbed"
Speech "Monster killed."
Strike orb at xx.xx
Wait for door to close at xx.xx
disappear
end

Even after this, I can kill a rock golem and the script doesn't work. (It works with everything else it think, excluding snakes. It even works with seeps that die due to a door opening).

Is it because rock golems aren't considered monsters ?

Please, help me script "if those rock golems die..close door at xx.xx".

Grr, if a bomb explodes and kills a monster how to script it to close the door at xx.xx when the bomb is needed to explode in order to solve the room ?

Also a 2 square rattlesnake with a character waiting for event "rattlesnake tail stabbed" and you stab it doesn't seem to work. But i figured this out by extending from 2 to 3 square snakes.

And if you have a checkpoint you used while playtesting and later edit it and remove it. There is a "x" mark in restore. Is this right ?

[Last edited by Ostegolectr1c at 05-19-2006 10:27 AM]
05-19-2006 at 10:02 AM
Ezlo
icon Re: Death to Death! (+1)  
Okay:

THE CONTEST HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO THE 22nd. SORRY FOR THE INCONVINENCE.
05-19-2006 at 11:52 AM
techant
Ostegolectr1c wrote:
Can somebody help me ?

Speech "Monster killed."
Strike orb at xx.xx
disappear
end

Even after this, I can kill a rock golem and the script doesn't work. (It works with everything else it think, excluding snakes. It even works with seeps that die due to a door opening).

Is it because rock golems aren't considered monsters ?

Please, help me script "if those rock golems die..close door at xx.xx".

Grr, if a bomb explodes and kills a monster how to script it to close the door at xx.xx when the bomb is needed to explode in order to solve the room ?

Also a 2 square rattlesnake with a character waiting for event "rattlesnake tail stabbed" and you stab it doesn't seem to work. But i figured this out by extending from 2 to 3 square snakes.

And if you have a checkpoint you used while playtesting and later edit it and remove it. There is a "x" mark in restore. Is this right ?

Remember the game was made around killing monsters, so was the scripting.

I had the same problem with the bombs. There is no command for if tar or mud babies are blown to smitherines. So I posted a scroll letting everyone know they were on the honor system about blowing up babies.

As far as the rock golems I am not sure but try to reduce it to the basics and then expand it with speech and
the "wait for door to close" command. Are you sure you have the right coor. for the orb and that the orb is connected to the door?

The x mark in restore stays even when you edit it out but only on your game play, they will not be there for others to see.

Good to know about the rattlesnakes I forgot to test that script.

Glad to hear it was extended not reduced. I am almost done even though I thought I would not get to enter this time, but I would not make the early deadline. Thanks Tim.

[Last edited by techant at 05-19-2006 01:34 PM]
05-19-2006 at 01:25 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Ostegolectr1c wrote:

Speech "Monster killed."
Strike orb at xx.xx
disappear
end

I tried this in the editor, and can't get it to work either. Maybe someone else can help you, but the best I can do is suggest you use wubbas instead of golems. They move the same way, and you can check for wubba stabs. (Ok, so wubba stabs don't count as illegal, but that doesn't prevent you from making a super-non-violent room. You may want to have some other killable monster somewhere.)
You could also try the "serpent smashed" event for 2-square rattlesnakes.

Can't help you with the rest. The checkpoint thing looks like a bug, though it's not really a problem.
05-19-2006 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 5 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Death to Death! (Our contest for May '06)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com