Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (One largish part up for grabs.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (0)  
Leus wrote:
Aww, hell. I started making a hold for kids once. I got all the rooms and voice acting done, but I stopped before I scripted everything and kind of forgot about it. :?
Well, get back to work on it!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-27-2006 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+1)  
and let's make that "aw, heck" ... for the kids :)

04-27-2006 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
mrimer wrote:
Leus wrote:
Aww, hell. I started making a hold for kids once. I got all the rooms and voice acting done, but I stopped before I scripted everything and kind of forgot about it. :?
Well, get back to work on it!

Yeah, I'll race you! I'm going to get restarted on mine in 4 wks time, so you've got a biiiiig headstart.

04-27-2006 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I was going to resubscribe to Caravelnet this week, but if Doom made the SS hold this time, I may as well wait until the next one is due. :~(

Actually, the main reason I didn't resubscribe is because the SS holds are generally too difficult for me. I don't really care about scores, or being able to download holds in game, so there's no incentive really.
04-27-2006 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
bandit1200 wrote:
Actually, the main reason I didn't resubscribe is because the SS holds are generally too difficult for me. I don't really care about scores, or being able to download holds in game, so there's no incentive really.

How about "to support the game we love."

Of course one could always support it by buying TCB if (oh, I meant WHEN) it comes out.
04-27-2006 at 08:55 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
larrymurk wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Of course one could always support it by buying TCB if (oh, I meant WHEN) it comes out.

That's why I do it, but also I really do love the SS Holds. And only one of them has really been too hard for me (*cough*)Perfection(*cough*) so far...and I keep going back to it and trying, so it gives me something to strive for.

I've never played any of Doom's holds, but I guess I'll stick them onto the (growing) list. Maybe after trying out Beethro's Teacher.

04-27-2006 at 09:38 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
larrymurk wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

While supporting Caravel is all well and good, it's only a good enough reason to subscribe or buy anything if it arises spontaneously in the buyer. If the products in question don't satisfy Bandit1200's needs or desires, he shouldn't buy them.

I don't think I should comment on TCB and it's difficulty level at this point yet, but the SS holds released so far are, as a whole, aimed more towards the hardcore player, so they're not necessarily for everyone.

04-27-2006 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+2)  
larrymurk wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Didn't I support the game by buying it?
04-27-2006 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I think I'll have to agree with bandit here. What's the point of buying something you can't play?

"Supporting the game we love" is another one of those great excuses. As I had said before, I would do it. But if supporting it means that every Selection hold is going to be incredibly hard, then I'm not too sure I'm doing the right thing...

Personally, 12(?) dollars for about 10 speeched holds (5 already released + next 5) is great value, even if you can only finish one of them (KDD 2.0).

Bandit, if you think the current Smitemasters holds are too hard, how hard do you want a hold to be (how many brains)?

-- Tim

Edit: Can we start a different thread for this?

[Last edited by Tim at 04-27-2006 11:13 PM]
04-27-2006 at 11:10 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Jacob wrote:
Who made the new SmS?
It's nice to see that leroy00's acronym is catching on. SS kind of has a nasty alternate meaning attached.

It's a bit like the town Fickensass in Ephelna that was later changed to Pickensass.

04-28-2006 at 07:49 AM
bandit1200
Stefan wrote:
Jacob wrote:
Who made the new SmS?
It's nice to see that leroy00's acronym is catching on. SS kind of has a nasty alternate meaning attached.

It's a bit like the town Fickensass in Ephelna that was later changed to Pickensass.
:lol If Pickensass was changed from Fickensass because is seemed less unsavoury, I think a big mistake was made. Unless it's just my imagination. ;)

Tim, I must admit I've never taken much notice of the brain thing, but I much prefer fun over difficulty. However, difficulty is a relative term. Because of something that happened to me about 18 months ago, rooms that were simply a puzzle suddenly became impossible, though I do occasionally get a flash of inspiration. However, if it gives any indication, I like the hold Chaco is building, and my favourite hold of all is Loony Labyrinth. Actually, a better indication of the difficulty I can achieve might be Larrymurk's Odd Job, where I had no problems with the novice and medium holds, but could only manage 3 rooms of the expert one. I also managed only the first 4 levels in Perfection, and got practically nowhere in Halph Has A Bad Day.

Actually, I wonder if it's possible for me to get another copy of Halph Has A Bad Day, as I seem to have lost that one during the big crash of April 2006.

Edit: Apologies for hijacking this thread. Had I noticed Tim's suggestion of a new thread, I would have done that. (Well, I did notice really, but immediately forgot. :( )

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 04-28-2006 08:48 AM]
04-28-2006 at 08:44 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Stefan wrote:
Jacob wrote:
Who made the new SmS?
Well, while it's not even near as bad, SMS has an annoying meaning as well - nothing like cell phones all around you going off because someone spammed all of them... :)

Warning: Language
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Schik at 04-28-2006 01:33 PM : Secreted and added a warning to the site with adult language.. yeah, even if it's a name.]
04-28-2006 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Fickensass is actually pretty rude in German. Pickensass, not so much - funny without actually being offensive.

04-28-2006 at 11:34 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
sorry to aid in the hijacking of this thread, but i would prefer the SS holds to be at about the difficulty of smallsome swicks.
04-29-2006 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mattcrampy wrote:
Fickensass is actually pretty rude in German.
Actually, it probably wasn't rude at all when the town was named if that was one or two centuries ago.

np: New Order - Turn (Waiting For The Sirens' Call)

04-29-2006 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
To assist in the non-German hijacking:

I have to admit, SS holds that are less about difficulty and more about story would be really kinda cool.
04-29-2006 at 06:40 PM
DrDerekDoctors
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
So, er... When do we usually find out who has been successful in the audition? Or vote on it or summat?

Yours,

Confused Of Stratford-Upon-Avon
05-02-2006 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tony
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Hey what's going on here? Any decisions made?
05-03-2006 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Last time Erik said he was just contacting the people he wanted to use privately (and I think ended up recording a bunch of stuff himself anyway).

If you hear something then great, otherwise just check out the credits for the hold when it comes out to see what happened.
05-03-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I'll tell you guys a bit later. By end of the week, I think.

-Erik

05-03-2006 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
BTW, I decided to go with Tony's manly and heroic voice. There were a number of very good recordings here though. Thanks to everyone who took the time to audition!

-Erik

05-13-2006 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Rank Points: 204
Good choice.

05-14-2006 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DrDerekDoctors
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
FIX! ;)

Well done to Tony!
05-14-2006 at 09:02 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (One largish part up for grabs.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com