Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (One largish part up for grabs.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+1)  
We've got a nice acting part for somebody talented and also lucky enough to have a decent recording environment available to them. This will go in the upcoming Beethro's Teacher hold for the Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. Forgive me for copy-and-pasting some text from the last audition announcement. There's a lot of redundant stuff to say, but at the same time, I like a self-contained post instead of linking to something else.

If you are chosen for the part, you'll need to record something like 3 to 4 pages of script, and sign an agreement giving Caravel Games ownership of your recordings. So that's maybe an hour of work for you. In return, I'll add you to the credits for Beethro's Teacher and send you a free Spring 2006 CD. If you've already got a Smitemaster's subscription, I'll add an extra issue to the end of it.

Recording Tips

The quality of your recording is just as important to me as your acting talent and voice. If the audition recording sounds bad, we can't use you, unfortunately. So here are some tips for getting a good recording to us.

* Experiment with different microphones if you've got them. I'm not going to suggest anyone go out and buy a microphone for this tiny little project. But if you are inclined towards future recording projects (not just with us) then even a relatively cheap $30 microphone can help sound quality a lot. I have an Audio-Technica ATR-40 from Radio Shack that works just fine for my needs. In fact, there is a retail-published poker game out there that has my voice on it recorded from a cheapie ATR-40.

* Reduce noise as much as you can. Turn off fans, printers, and other noise-making devices in the room. Put a thick blanket, like a sleeping bag, over your computer. If you've got a laptop, then you can possibly walk into a low-noise room like a closet or bathroom and try recording there.

* Find the best distance between your mouth and the microphone. Too far away and your quiet voice will need to be amplified with software, which increases the noise level. Too close and your recording will sound distorted from clipping, which occurs when the volume of your voice exceeds what the microphone was designed to capture.

* Watch P's ("purple poppies") and S's ("suffering sucotash") since these tend to produce artifacts from the extra wind you are blowing into the microphone. Being slightly to right or left of microphone helps avoid the artifacts. Also, a lot of mics have windscreens, which are usually just a foamy ball that covers the microphone head.

* Don't add any special effects or filters to the recording, including noise reduction. We prefer to do all that stuff ourselves and just want your raw voice.

* Use mono (not stereo), 44.1khz, 16bit recording settings.

Audition Lines

Denfry is a confident guy with a high opinion of himself. His voice should sound powerful and a bit overdramatic. Please, don't ask me exactly how I want the lines to be recorded. Just try it one or more ways that you like.

Denfry

Denfry: You will be delighted to learn that I am, in fact... Denfry of Fulce! (pause) You've not heard of the greatest dungeon exterminator in all of Ephelna?

Denfry: Wise words, my friend. I think you are right. I hate to say it, but it was my fault to put you in this situation.

Denfry: No, no, I must stay here for a moment. Form a strategy. Yes, some kind of plan. A brilliant, cunning, flawless... Plan.

Post your recorded files as a reply with an attachment in this topic. The file should be MP3, OGG, or WAV. We won't use any audition lines posted in this topic without written permission from you. However, you should consider the licensing options on your attachments if you are worried about other people using your recording in ways you don't want.

We will cast the part by end of April. And the following week, all lines will be recorded.

-Erik

04-18-2006 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127

File: DRODVAWORK.zip (543.1 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+2)  
AFter three takes each (Did not save the outtakes, sorry) and adjusting my microphone, here's my first attempt at using my accent to add dramatics to the voice of Denfry.

And a parody of a joke of the voice acting groups I'm in, only with "Dragon Ball Z" replaced with "DROD Z". One take, 10 seconds, I probably screwed up in a few places, I don't care it's a joke :P

This work is All Rights Reserved; the DROD Z line (and that line alone) is permitted for use by Caravel Games if they want to throw in a really weird Easter Egg. I will seriously make more jokes like that too if there's interest.

EDITED: Attempted reupload.

[Last edited by NekoIncardine at 04-19-2006 04:24 AM]
04-19-2006 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (0)  
Hmm. The archive opens up and contains no files for me.
:(

-Erik

04-19-2006 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
I have attempted to reupload the file after rebuilding it, see if it works that way. If not... I'llthink of SOMETHING.

04-19-2006 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
The attachment works now. I think it was fine before, but there was a server issue that gave a corrupted download.

04-19-2006 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
PoV
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14

File: warmup.mp3 (2 MB)
Downloaded 83 times.
I'm out of practise. :D

I should have a chance later in the week to do a real one. I didn't like how my real ones from this session turned out.
04-19-2006 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939

File: Line3Patrick.wav (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 67 times.
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+1)  
I recorded line three, although I made him sound a bit discouraged in this one. I think that it sounds better if he's a bit depressed and has to make pauses every so often.

04-19-2006 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I think I'm going to make a stab at auditioning this weekend. Would it be appropriate to ask the proper way to pronounce Fulce and Ephelna?

04-21-2006 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Well, I'm not going to grade anybody down if they "mispronounce" one of our made-up words. Just say the words in whatever way works for you. We'll state the official ways to say words during recording.

-Erik

04-21-2006 at 08:56 PM
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61

File: DROD-demo.zip (2.1 MB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Here's my take (ahem) on the lines. Looking forward to hearing whomever ends up with the guest vocals!
04-22-2006 at 08:33 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545

File: Denfry.zip (765.8 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
I couldn't decide whether he was supposed to be genuinely apologetic in the second line or just having a backhanded dig at Beethro, so I tried both.
04-23-2006 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DrDerekDoctors
May I ask what the closing date for auditions is? Only I have a reeeeaally crappy recording set up at the moment but this opportunity has spurred me on to getting something that can record sound properly (which I'll use for my own stuff as well, obviously) and it'll be the end of the week before it arrives.

I suppose there's no harm in posting a poor quality version before then, though, and a nice clean version later on?
04-23-2006 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
DrDerekDoctors wrote:
May I ask what the closing date for auditions is?
Well, from the first post:
ErikH2000 wrote:
We will cast the part by end of April. And the following week, all lines will be recorded.
I suppose there's no harm in posting a poor quality version before then, though, and a nice clean version later on?
Absolutely.

Oh, and :hi to the forum!

[Last edited by Tim at 04-23-2006 05:34 PM]
04-23-2006 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DrDerekDoctors
Doh! Why do I never read messages in their entirety? Haha.

Thanks, I shall try to make a version which isn't 100% hiss (yes, I spelt that right) tomorrow.
04-23-2006 at 05:35 PM
Leus
Rank Points: 204

File: leus_denfry1.ogg (413.8 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
Here's my first attempt. I will probably submit a second recording later today because somehow I am completely deprived of caffeine so far today and I can only assume it's affecting my performance. :)

04-24-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus

File: leus_denfry2_3.ogg (777.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Here are my second and third attempts. I used different voices for both, though I don't think either necessarily turned out any better than the first. I am satisfied with them, though. Hopefully I did a good enough job. :)

P.S.: Everyone has every right to use any of the recordings in this or the above post, blah blah, etc...

04-25-2006 at 12:41 AM
forrestfire
Rank Points: 93

File: Denfry.wav (3.9 MB)
Downloaded 56 times.
Here's my recording. I may try to get a better recording of these lines in before the deadline.

Everyone has full rights to my recording.

[Last edited by forrestfire at 04-25-2006 12:52 AM]
04-25-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tony
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15

File: DROD_cont.rar (4.8 MB)
Downloaded 71 times.
Right.

So I've done 4 versions to check out here. So check them out if you'd like. I worked hard all night on them, my mom says they're cool.

Let me know if you want all the expletives taken out. I got carried away!
04-25-2006 at 03:08 PM
DrDerekDoctors
Best one yet, Tony!

However I've got my new recorder so I'll post mine tonight AND YOU SHALL ALL BOW DOWN! Or at least be doubled up with laughter... ;)
04-25-2006 at 03:12 PM
DrDerekDoctors

File: denfry_of_fulce.mp3 (448.1 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (+3)  
Well, here goes my last shred of dignity. :)

mp3 attached. Might try some other voices later on...
04-25-2006 at 10:26 PM
JGeer
Rank Points: 12

File: AllTakes.mp3 (2.2 MB)
Downloaded 57 times.
Hey. I made some recordings this morning. Hope you like them!

-- Jonathan
www.jonathangeer.com
04-26-2006 at 05:20 PM
Leus
Apparently Tony has a way more manly and heroic voice than I do.

04-26-2006 at 07:08 PM
PoV

File: DenfryHQ.mp3 (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 52 times.
Meh... Could have turned out better, but here it is. :smile

[Last edited by PoV at 04-26-2006 11:24 PM]
04-26-2006 at 11:04 PM
Leus

File: leus_denfry4_5.ogg (852.8 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
I apparently decided to do it yet again, but I don't think I'm going to be able to step to some of the other contestants here. I like to think that my voice acting is decent, but I don't think my actual voice is manly enough for the job.

All rights. Ahhblah. Rofl. PoV is screaming.

04-26-2006 at 11:15 PM
PoV
:D

Wow, I finally listened to them all. :-O :-O

Nice work people.
04-26-2006 at 11:29 PM
miketo
Rank Points: 61
Leus wrote:
I like to think that my voice acting is decent, but I don't think my actual voice is manly enough for the job.

I think you did a fine job. And I know what you mean about getting that "manly" sound. I tried a version more along the lines of Worf / James Earl Jones, but I just don't have the resonant, barrel-like chest to do a deeper tone justice.

Good voice talent is tough to find; either someone has excellent tones but can't emote enough for audio work, or they can emote just fine in a theater but the voice just doesn't translate well to audio.
04-27-2006 at 12:03 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Who made the new SmS? Is there only one this time? And is this the hold that's going to be aimed at kids? Or this top secret info?

04-27-2006 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Hmm, I think I can safely say that this isn't the one aimed at kids, and there is only one. I won't say who the author is though, I don't know if Erik wants that known, although of course all the people testing it know full well who it is.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-27-2006 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Who made the new SmS? Is there only one this time? And is this the hold that's going to be aimed at kids? Or this top secret info?
Doom made it, and it's called Beethro's Teacher. We're not putting the kid's hold in the upcoming Spring issue. I'll give a few more details about Beethro's Teacher and other stuff going onto CaravelNet and Smitemaster's Selection CDs in the next newsletter.

Damnit. There I go preannouncing again.

-Erik

04-27-2006 at 12:18 AM
Leus
Aww, hell. I started making a hold for kids once. I got all the rooms and voice acting done, but I stopped before I scripted everything and kind of forgot about it. :?

04-27-2006 at 03:56 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection Auditions (One largish part up for grabs.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com