Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Bionic Commando: Rearmed (A great remake of an awesome game.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon Bionic Commando: Rearmed (+3)  
Nathan "Radd" Spencer cannot jump. This is an especially concerning fact considering he was selected to be the main character in a Capcom platformer. It's not like Radd is the first one-man army hired to take down a terrorist operation in a remote location, but his strange ailment made the idea all the more ridiculous, but never fear, Radd has something different, maybe even better! He has a bionic arm implanted into the flesh of his left arm. No, it isn't exactly practical, but in a world filled with easily grapplable catwalks and bosses with obvious weaknesses, maybe the battlefield is the one place that Radd can fit in.

Despite my introduction, the game is really much more about blowing things up than overcoming adversity. You see, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is the remake of Capcom's beloved NES platformer Bionic Commando. I know there was an arcade version, but Rearmed is based on the larger, deeper and harder NES version, you usually control Radd but between levels you are privileged to take control of Radd's helicopter pilot from which you can fly to more than three times the amount of levels in the arcade version. Back on the NES, getting a bigger, better and faster exclusive sequel to a popular arcade game was a big deal and even today it's unusually long and deep for a side scroller especially with the advent of weapon upgrades strewn about the friendly camps. This sandbox style is restricted, however. The game has an initially annoying tendency to stop you from progressing through a level without a certain item or, in one case, making things a living hell without said item. The upside of this is that you get a new upgrade or weapon after almost every level, there's a surprising amount of variety for such a long shooter.

Back to the gameplay, despite not being able to jump, Capcom loaded every level with difficult leaps. Radd's abilities are for the most part focused on his arm. Radd can grapple up to platforms, block bullets, swing over gaps and later can even grab enemies and use them as human shields. The controls are almost unchanged from the original other than the new abilities. Swinging and grappling will feel incredibly clunky to anyone who isn't familiar with either the NES or GBC games, but they aren't impossible to get a hold of and two new tutorials help things along.

It is a testament to how great the original was that its aged so well, and Rearmed keeps the elements that should have stayed (like some of the better level layouts, the control scheme and the nonlinear progression) while every new element adds a lot to the game, the "VR Mission" style Challenge Missions are great for masochistic fans and the bosses are unanimously much more enjoyable than the original's. The only element that really hurts the game at all are the overhead stages. Bionic Commando was a major departure from its prequel and the inclusion of these stages was one of the few links to that game. I'm not suggesting that they be removed entirely, but the Commando series recently graduated to a twin-stick control method and the overhead stages feel even more clunky than they did 20 years ago. They're also about three times as long as before, which multiplies the frustration of running into an enemy truck on the world map.

One of the more enticing additions to the game, aside from the new levels, weapons, upgrades are the Challenge Rooms. Very similar in concept to Metal Gear Solid's VR Missions, the Challenge Rooms are hilariously difficult deathtraps that exist in the game world as "training missions" but, as one character says, "it's like you need training for the training". These rooms will appeal to only specific types of gamers, but give the game great mileage for fans. The rooms have full leaderboard support which almost makes up for the lack of online multiplayer. Other new features include a new hacking minigame and a scoring system.

Yes, this remake has multiplayer. I haven't been able to try it yet, but it's gotten a fairly good response from the fan base and I'll try to update this review once I've given it a go.

Anyone who beat the NES version will remember the strangely uneven censorship. All references to Nazism and Hitler were removed, replaced with much stranger text, while the incredibly gory exploding head in the ending was left untouched. BCR is censored in much the same way, but it plays out like a parody or the original game's translation and censorship. Radd will often trash talk machines that can only beep, only to take offense at one sequence of beeps or the other, Albatross still aims to revive a Hitler-esque villain other than Hitler himself (as in the uncensored version) and the FSA continually promises to send backup to absolutely no avail.

Spencer may not be able to jump, but 20 years later he's still incredibly fun to play as. BCR is one of the best remakes ever and one of the most purely fun downloadable games of all time.

BCR is available on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network for $10 while it is available on the PC for $15. From what I've heard there is no difference between the versions aside from better graphics in the PC version.

[Last edited by Snacko at 08-16-2008 11:18 PM]
08-14-2008 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
icon Re: Bionic Commando: Rearmed (0)  
I have read that, while more expensive, the PC version will have some extra challenge rooms available as a future download. While I love gaming on my PC, I find that the XBox Live achievements add a lot of value for me. I may just have to buy this game twice... :blush
Gearoid Reidy @ BC:R Blog:
Also, you may have noticed that the PC version is slightly more expensive than the others – we put this to producer Ben Judd who told us:

“I can give you a song and dance about PC digital content being more expensive as a general rule... but nobody wants to hear that. I can say this: for the PC version we are planning on uploading some additional PC-only challenge rooms via a free patch so you will get more bang for your buck."

[Last edited by Penumbra at 08-14-2008 08:59 PM]
08-14-2008 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3630
Great! The remake's been released!

I actually own both an NES and the original cartridge, and have beaten the game by myself. The NES game is actually pretty difficult in the later stages, but I had fun and was able to beat it in a reasonable amount of time. I'll agree with Snacko's review of the original for the most part.

(Unfortunately I doubt it's likely I'm going to get ahold of either a next-generation console or a PC anytime soon. But I did want to mention that whole "having the original" bit. I thought it was important.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-14-2008 09:32 PM]
08-14-2008 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Now if only they put it out on the Wii Shop Channel... ;)

08-14-2008 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Bionic Commando: Rearmed (+1)  
For some reason I never owned the original NES Bionic Commando. This isn't to say I never played it or beat it...I must have rented this game more times than any other. I don't know why I never actually bothered owning a copy. Kind of the same with Blaster Master, although I never could beat that one...

Anyway, I would have picked this game up last night but I had just gotten back from a long work trip and just wanted to get to bed. But I bought it tonight upon getting back from work and am taking it nice and slow. The controls can be a bit twitchy...but I should be able to beat it again, I think. Doing all the challenge rooms will be another matter, #10 already has me stumped (temporarily I assure you, but I decided to press on with the main game).

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-15-2008 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Both Blaster Master and Bionic Commando were genius games. I loved them both, especially how the gameplay isn't just a straight forward platformer. Just keeps you playing.

Click here to view the secret text

08-27-2008 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 330
Snacko wrote:
Back to the gameplay, despite not being able to jump, Capcom loaded every level with difficult leaps.

I just wanted to add that this game was made by a European developer.

Interview link

The interview also includes some information on the upcoming 3D game.
08-28-2008 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I loved Blaster Master, sure you were looking for a frog and even back then I acknowledged that that was stupid, but it wasn't like anything I ever played before.

Its sequels...not so much.

08-28-2008 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Bionic Commando: Rearmed (A great remake of an awesome game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com