Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Lost Temple (New hold coming soon..)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
IP: Logged
icon Lost Temple (+1)  
I don't want to surprise anyone and give them a heart attack or something which is why, according to the bylaws of the Eighth, I am hereby announing/pre-announcing the upcoming hold -- Lost Temple.

The full name is really "Lost Temple of Matsumi", but that is just a bit long.

In any case, you will fill the shoes of archaeologist Larry Walkins in his journey to find the Lost Temple of Matsumi and learn the secrets hidden inside. The Temple holds a treasure of information about the Sumi people. You must travel over the Andes mountains and through a dense jungle before you'll encounter your greatest conquest yet..

The Lost Temple of Matsumi

Coming to a DROD forum near you soon.
04-10-2006 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Lost Temple (0)  
Yay, I may now eagerly look forward to, ya know, the actual announcement.

I guess I just have a different philosophy - I like to announce things, not preannounce them. This catches people by surprise, but it also means that I immediately have material to give people.

04-10-2006 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Chaco wrote:
I guess I just have a different philosophy - I like to announce things, not preannounce them. This catches people by surprise, but it also means that I immediately have material to give people.
Yeah, that's what I like to do too! I preannounce something once or twice and people think I'm doing it all the time. It's not fair. :no

-Erik

04-10-2006 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
*has heart attack*

Yikes! I didn't realize you were going to pre-announce this today and it scared me. You should've given us a pre-announcement pre-announcement!

04-10-2006 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I use a different strategy: I don't announce things at all, or even release them. This has given mixed results; I've not gotten any bad feedback for my hold yet, but on the other hand, I haven't gotten any feedback at all.

(Now that I think about it, it's a good thing I haven't released it, as it's not done yet. I'm just tinkering with it once in a while, in stolen moments.)

Anyway, I'm thinking about changing my strategy to actually announce and (shock!) finish and release the hold sometime, if only as an excuse to include a secret area to show off some minimap art I've done in other stolen moments.

(I must confess I have a hidden agenda here: I'm telling you this so I won't keep abandoning the project.)

- Gerry, hijacking pre-announcement threads since 2006
04-10-2006 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I use a different strategy as well. I release first, then do a preannouncement. Or something.

Have you played my latest hold yet? (see signature at the bottom of this post...)
trick wrote:
I use a different strategy: I don't announce things at all, or even release them. This has given mixed results; I've not gotten any bad feedback for my hold yet, but on the other hand, I haven't gotten any feedback at all.
(I know this should be in Architecture, but I can hijack a thread as well...)

Gerry, well, your hold is quite interesting. From what I have seen, all the rooms I've seen were simply brilliant. Great scripting, nice puzzles, and nice-looking rooms. Although I must admit that I haven't seen a lot of rooms yet... Let's say less than one.

-- Tim O:-

PS. A tip, if you want people pushing you finishing a hold, try posting it in Architecture. That usually helps. (Although I can't promise anything...)

[Last edited by Tim at 04-10-2006 06:29 AM]
04-10-2006 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Haha, thanks :). I'll try to live up to your experiences.
Tim wrote:
Have you played my latest hold yet? (see signature at the bottom of this post...)
I have, actually. I like it, but I'm stuck. (Oh well, I'll get it eventually .. I hope ..)
PS. A tip, if you want people pushing you finishing a hold, try posting it in Architecture. That usually helps. (Although I can't promise anything...)
I don't think I'll do that, for several reasons. First, I don't really want people pushing me about this, as I've got more important things to do that takes priority. Second, due to the nature of this hold, testing it in an unfinished state would be .. well, let's just say warp rooms wouldn't do you any good.

Anyway. Looking forward to your hold, Larry! :)

- Gerry
04-10-2006 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'll be looking forward to it! If you need anyone to test anything, remember me please! :D
04-10-2006 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ezlo wrote:
I'll be looking forward to it! If you need anyone to test anything, remember me please! :D
Same here! *waves frantically*

np: Phon.o - En Duo Avec George W. (Burn Down The Town)

04-10-2006 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
trick wrote:
I don't think I'll do that, for several reasons. First, I don't really want people pushing me about this, as I've got more important things to do that takes priority. Second, due to the nature of this hold, testing it in an unfinished state would be .. well, let's just say warp rooms wouldn't do you any good.
Hey, that sounds exactly like the hold I've been building for over a year now (and I still have only seven rooms completed). We seem to be having the same problem (not being able to find the time/inspiration to build).

04-10-2006 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Stefan wrote:
trick wrote:
Hey, that sounds exactly like the hold I've been building for over a year now (and I still have only seven rooms completed). We seem to be having the same problem (not being able to find the time/inspiration to build).
Wow! You two are cool if you are really making the same hold ;) Why don't you two join together and call it a hold?

But seriously, if you have something that seems to be half finished, and you don't want to spend more time on, I don't mind completing it for you. (And Stefan, I don't believe you don't have time. You are more often on the forum than I am...)

-- Tim

04-10-2006 at 09:42 PM
Tim
[Looks at Holds Board]

So, when will the real announcement arrive?

-- Tim ;)

04-14-2006 at 03:34 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Lost Temple (+1)  
It just did!
04-14-2006 at 04:20 PM
Tim
Finished the first level already... Pffff... Tough...

-- Tim ;)

04-14-2006 at 04:26 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Lost Temple (+1)  
trick wrote:

Come on, you can improve on that strategy. You should release stuff *after* you have got some positive feedback. That way, you know the thing will produce some enjoyment, and it will be worth finishing it up (or starting it up, but the two notions are very similar). On the other hand, if you get negative feedback, you can quietly shut down the whole project, and voilą!

Don't thank me. I live to serve.
04-14-2006 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Lost Temple (New hold coming soon..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com