Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dungeon of Omega. (My second hold. [demo alert])
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Dungeon of Omega. (+1)  
This is only a demo of the first two levels. They're not perfect, and the puzzles aren't all that good, but I take game creation very seriously. Play and enjoy.
02-24-2006 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1913
icon Re: Dungeon of Omega. (0)  
So far I'd have to rate this very easy, like maybe a 2 difficulty. It almost felt like I was walking through a story since it was so easy and there were little story elements as you go along.

You might want to watch out making too many rooms where you have to kill a 20 x 20 or larger square of defenseless creatures. After all, we wouldn't want animal rights activist problems.
02-25-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
The evil eye room was annoying.

Also, I'd suggest you cut down on the dirty language. I don't care if you censor it, it doesn't make it less offensive.

Also, luckily, in the annoying Slayer/mud room I just killed him to make it dead easy.

Overall, I'd say you really should plan things out a bit more. If you're going to bother to have lots of monsters, make them hard to kill, not tedious. Spend more than five minutes on a single room.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-25-2006 12:53 AM]
02-25-2006 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII

File: Dungeon of Omega.hold (14.8 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Dungeon of Omega. (+1)  
Oh... It's so hard to make a decent hold... I will now censor out all the dirty language

POOF! There, it's gone. Also, I changed some of the rooms a little bit.

You must also bear in mind that this is the first two levels, which is setting the story. I've noticed good demos don't tell you much of the story, but it gives you enough to show you what it is like. Oh yeah, and I S-U-C-K at puzzle making.

Whoops, I missed a dirty word..

How did you kill the slayer, cos I've never done it without a mimic or something.

The only reason I put the language in was because... How many of you have played King Meckmeck's dungeon and heard Holuna say the S word?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 03-02-2006 01:40 PM]
02-25-2006 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
It's a very little-known maneuver, and it's actually quite easy to do once you know how.

Basically, in a position like this:
.....W
....BW
.../.W
...\\.W
....SW
.....W
....WW

Move south. The slayer will retreat south. Move south again, and the slayer will retreat southwest. Then you can move south again and kill him.

Of course, it can be fairly unintuitive how to get into that position, but I can give you a demo if you'd like. Rest assured, the room is simply tedious afterward.

You can fix it by moving the room entrance one square to the left.

02-25-2006 at 02:44 PM
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Chaco wrote:
It's a very little-known maneuver...
Ooh! I feel like a member of the forum elite.

Wha? Oh, nevermind.
02-25-2006 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Well, I didn't come up with that, Stefan did. I'm more of a sub-sub-sub-elite.

02-25-2006 at 08:41 PM
Pilchard VIII
A-ha. I am gonna take advice and move the entrance when I go back to my dad's house. I will have to try that in the JtRH Demo.

02-27-2006 at 01:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dungeon of Omega. (My second hold. [demo alert])
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com