Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How does the slayer kill without using his hook?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon How does the slayer kill without using his hook? (+1)  
Can the Slayer also kill Beethro by jumping on his head? :)

If the Slayer is facing west, and Beethro is facing east, 2 squares above the slayer, and Beethro then moves south east, he is killed immediately. Yet it's not possible for the Slayer to get his hook to Beethro in one turn. In fact, the hook still shows pointing west as Beethro is in his death throes.

It's not important in the overall scheme of things, and has probably already been covered, but I'd never noticed this before and got to wondering just how agile that damn Slayer is.
02-24-2006 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: How does the slayer kill without using his hook? (+1)  
He has very sharp pointy... Look at the bones!

02-24-2006 at 01:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: How does the slayer kill without using his hook? (0)  
Look at his collar! That thing could have someone's eye out! Someone like Beethro!
02-24-2006 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, the Slayer's body has spikes on it or something so that if necessary, he can act like a human Cusinart. But the hook is so much more elegant. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-24-2006 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Oneiromancer wrote:
Yes, the Slayer's body has spikes on it or something
Is that a technical term? ;)
so that if necessary, he can act like a human Cusinart.
Game on,

You had me really confuddled there. Is Cusinart a misspelling of Cuisinart? Or a distant relative of Beethro?
Anyway, I just can't imagine the Slayer as a Cook & Stor Wok :P
02-24-2006 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Er. Yes, a misspelling. Never owned one of those myself... :blush

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-24-2006 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: How does the slayer kill without using his hook? (+2)  
It's a necessary evil- if the Slayer didn't do that, they could both turn clockwise but Beethro would kill him first(or backswipe him).

Anyway, it's not possible to be a perfect autonomous killing machine if you can't step onto Beethro too. :)

02-24-2006 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
He wears golf cleats, of course! :P

02-24-2006 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
... I can just picture Slayer doing a Mario-esque jump on Beethro.

"100!"

02-24-2006 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Isn't it to do with the dual properties of light - both a wave and not a wave? The slayer is the square root, and Beethro is -1.

Hmmm... maybe not :)
02-25-2006 at 11:18 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Isn't it to do with the dual properties of light - both a wave and not a wave? The slayer is the square root, and Beethro is -1.
Ugh. Just when you thought you were safe things are turning complex - imaginary that!

I vote for keeping it real!

*ducks*

np: Apollo 440 - Electro Glide In Blue (Electro Glide In Blue)

02-25-2006 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Keeping it real ? What real ?

You're hitting plastic for hours on end whilst looking at electron rays... disussing a figure of your imagination with others via a bit ciruit that spans the world. Tell me... what is real ?

[Moves thread to philosphy forum]
02-25-2006 at 04:25 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Quantum DROD? Oh, no...
02-25-2006 at 05:21 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Quantum doors are in TCB?

02-26-2006 at 03:48 AM
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
Schroedinger's roach?

02-26-2006 at 07:06 AM
Rabscuttle
Mattcrampy wrote:
Quantum doors are in TCB?

With Halph gone, Beethro has to resort to trying to tunnel through doors.
02-26-2006 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5059
Yes, in TCB we have doors that are both open and not open at the same time...with a certain probability of each whenever you try to go through them. But it's not random, no. ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2006 04:45 PM]
03-01-2006 at 04:45 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Similar to, but not the same as doors which only open if you persuade them that you have tea and no tea at the same time.
03-01-2006 at 05:54 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
He he, I take it you're a fan of text-adventures too?
03-01-2006 at 05:58 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ezlo wrote:
I take it he's a fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy... ;)

np: Telefon Tel Aviv - When It Happens It Moves All By Itself (Map Of What Is Effortless)

03-01-2006 at 10:00 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Briareos wrote:
Ezlo wrote:

np: Telefon Tel Aviv - When It Happens It Moves All By Itself (Map Of What Is Effortless)

I guess we can both be right and say he's a fan of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Infocom Text Adventure.
03-02-2006 at 02:04 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ezlo wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Ezlo wrote:

I guess we can both be right and say he's a fan of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Infocom Text Adventure.

No. Well, maybe. But since the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a TV series before it was a game, and a book before it was a TV series, and a radio show before it was a book - and I'm pretty sure at least the book version also features the joke StuartK quoted - you can't be sure he ever played the game.

[Last edited by eytanz at 03-02-2006 03:31 AM]
03-02-2006 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Not in any of the books. I have the entire trilogy pretty much memorized. However, we do have doors that are happy whenever people use them, the Nutri-Matic, which invariably gives a drink that tastes "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea", and of course the Complaints Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, which now covers the major landmasses of three large planets, and is the only part of the Corporation to show consistent profit.
03-02-2006 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
mrimer wrote:
Yes, in TCB we have doors that are both open and not open at the same time...with a certain probability of each whenever you try to go through them. But it's not random, no. ;)

No, it just creates a superposition, where you have both passed through it and not passed through it. :)

03-02-2006 at 04:47 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
oooh, i get it, halph will be trasformed into a cronically depressed robot (he wanders through Bethro's junk, you see) then king dugan decides to build a road over Betho's house, thus proving that Bethro is related to Gengis Karn, meanwhile, Mobley Inufgot invents the universal song, somthing so improbable that it invents the improbably cleaner, making it possible to clean Bethro's house, somthing totally impossible. but, this comes with a catch, and that is you have to play a minigame while it works, and this minigame involves running around with a very large sword killing roaches.

I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING, YOU GOING TO MAKE A GAME WHICH ENCOURAGES VIOLENCE THROUGH THE GENOCIDE OF COCKOROACHES. WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE A GAME WITHIN A GAME.

how very clever.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:30 AM]
03-02-2006 at 06:17 AM
StuartK
eytanz wrote:
No. Well, maybe. But since the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a TV series before it was a game, and a book before it was a TV series, and a radio show before it was a book - and I'm pretty sure at least the book version also features the joke StuartK quoted - you can't be sure he ever played the game.
It was the text adventure. I was stuck forever behind that door, picking up one, dropping the other (dropping 'no tea' - hehe) until I discovered
Click here to view the secret text

03-02-2006 at 12:00 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
mrimer wrote:

The really hard part is when you have to smite Schroedinger's Roach, because it's got an equal chance of being alive or dead until you get an Evil Eye to look at it.
03-03-2006 at 01:25 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
At which point the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle kicks in, indirectly causing this thread both to be moved to Anything and not moved at the same time.
03-03-2006 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
At what percentage offtopic must a thread be, before it is by definition an 'Anything' thread?

We could be moving towards an understanding of a new type of DROD feature - in which case it may belong in feature requests. Or we could be discussing a feature which already exists in TCB - in which case it belongs in General.

Could a decision be made to split the thread? If so, how would this surgery be accomplished, without destroying the thread in the process? And would such meta-discussion belong in the Site forum?

We've made a mention of a certain text adventure, so this thread would of course be relevant to Electronic Games.

Or perhaps, we're trying to come up with a thread which is relevant to as many forums as possible at the same time, and so perhaps this really belongs in Forum Games?

:D

[Last edited by StuartK at 03-03-2006 02:04 AM]
03-03-2006 at 02:02 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5059
I think this thread is a bug.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-03-2006 at 07:16 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How does the slayer kill without using his hook?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com