Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Preview level- testers/opinions wanted (Is it fun?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
IP: Logged

File: Overground.hold (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Preview level- testers/opinions wanted (+2)  
I've been on and off working on a new hold. I don't want to say the name of this hold, but its initials are
Click here to view the secret text
Here's just one level out of four planned- so if you test this now, don't be surprised if you see it again elsewhere.

This level is small and VERY action oriented. I want the other levels to be more puzzle based, but the ideas for original puzzles are slow in coming. Right now I'm curious to know how this level is received, the difficulty (I'm thinking it's hard to very hard), any problems you might notice, and things like can I improve checkpoint placement, etc. Thanks.

[Last edited by Tscott at 02-24-2006 04:11 PM]
02-24-2006 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Preview level- testers/opinions wanted (+1)  
Some fun hack & slash :) Have to go find the secrets now.

Something you might have overlooked is the possibility of hitting bombs while standing on arrows. So, for example

02-24-2006 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
A few room comments:

2W - This got a little repeating to me after a while. Also, I'm sure I've seen very similar room(s) before. I also think that something very close to 1N has been used in other holds already.

Secret room:

1N2E: The character opens the gate even if you don't kill all tar/mud babies in the end. Not too serious, but...
edit: Forgot to metion, the red door is useless too.

The other rooms weren't generally very difficult as long as you were at least relatively efficient. Those didn't really require any special planning in my opinion.

[Last edited by Doom at 02-24-2006 01:05 PM]
02-24-2006 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
icon Re: Preview level- testers/opinions wanted (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
Some fun hack & slash :) Have to go find the secrets now.

Something you might have overlooked is the possibility of hitting bombs while standing on arrows. So, for example
Thanks, that's definitely not intended to be used in the solution. I've added two bombs north of the top two arrows- out of the way, but within range that will prevent the player from using this to their advantage in 1S (and a certain secret room too).

There's two places in 1E where this can be used to an advantage, but the room doesn't become trivial. I may just leave that room as is.

02-24-2006 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Doom wrote:
A few room comments:

2W - This got a little repeating to me after a while. Also, I'm sure I've seen very similar room(s) before. I also think that something very close to 1N has been used in other holds already.
Hmmm, I liked 2W and don't think I'd seen it elsewhere.:? As for 1N, I know I've personally used the "4 queens in corners and 4 in the middle" layout before in another hold, and I'm sure others have too- but the queens in this hold spawn 5 roaches at a time.;)

1N2E: The character opens the gate even if you don't kill all tar/mud babies in the end. Not too serious, but...
edit: Forgot to metion, the red door is useless too.
The main thing I was going for was making it look like the character had built all these blockades around his house to keep his roaches out. The functionality of the doors wasn't too much of a concern here.

02-24-2006 at 04:21 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
H I J K L M N O, right? ;)

Alright, I'll give it a go and see how, as a non-expert DROD player, the difficulty stacks up. I've mastered H I J K though, so this shouldn't be too hard.

02-24-2006 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
I'd say this preview was fun and about the difficulty I enjoy.

Entrance: easy.
1W: Easy, 2 tries.
2W: Easy, but might be better solutions.
1W1S: Medium/Hard: By far the best room for me. It took me many attempts until I found a strategy that worked!
1N: Easy.
1S: Easy.
2S: Harder and more fun than 1S.
1E: Pretty easy. OK.
2E: Easy/Medium. OK.

All in all, F-U-N !
02-24-2006 at 06:27 PM
Chaco
Well, uhm...

It wasn't, in fact, as easy. I haven't even beaten most of the rooms yet.

So far, I'd definitely call this harder than H I J K though.

02-24-2006 at 11:55 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Okay... Here's what I think. Overall: Quite nice. The rooms has a good, medium difficulty, but it feels like they're quite a bit tedious. Also the way in which to solve the rooms is pretty much the same, and I feel that there are several holds with similar rooms.

2W is the most tedious room, and also reminds me of rooms in other holds. It is very beutifull though.
The rest of the rooms where quite nice...

I would rate this hold a seven.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-25-2006 11:57 PM]
02-25-2006 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
I forgot one question I wanted to ask. Did the fact that there were no visible grid squares detract from the enjoyment of this level?

02-26-2006 at 11:27 PM
Chaco
Oh, no, it didn't. The image floors definitely contributed to the "farm" theme of the level. Individual grid squares never gave me a problem.

P.S. I finally beat the hold after much work. I'd rate this an 8 with 7 difficulty.

02-26-2006 at 11:56 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
Yeah, I didn't notice any problem with the floor tiles used.
02-27-2006 at 12:00 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Me neither! The floor works well enough.
02-27-2006 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
I liked it.

I found the required rooms were not too hard and well designed.
The secret rooms are tough (I didn't solve them yet).

Overall very good looking.
02-28-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Preview level- testers/opinions wanted (Is it fun?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com