Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Deadly Legos Of Death
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tailchaser
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon Deadly Legos Of Death (+10)  
A couple days ago, I was thinking about what to use as a forum avatar. "It might be cool to make an avatar with Lego", I thought. "I wonder why more people don't do something like that?", I naively thought also. Well, it turns out it's ridiculously hard to get a decent digital picture of something that small, and that reflective, with the camera that close to it, and it requires a lot of messing around with photo editors and strategically placed desk lamps to get the colors and shadows to look right. But, just after the two thoughts I described, I had remembered that the castle-themed Lego sets used to have a piece in them which was a helmet with a yellow plume that looked remarkably like Beethro's hair. So I decided to make this little scene from DROD to commemorate finishing King Dugan's Dungeon. I had to do it, because of the hair.

The picture still didn't come out terribly well, but this was the best I could do for now, without any of the fancy techniques and special lenses that professional photographers use. (I didn't ever have any disrespect for them, of course, but I really have a new respect for the creators of Irregular Webcomic and Legostar Galactica...) Incidentally, Beethro is wearing a yellow shirt in all of the official illustrations, but the Lego Group doesn't seem to make any solid yellow torso pieces (probably they thought that would make a Lego person look too much like he was naked) so I decided to go with the least clashing color, and substituted a black torso instead. Because... Beethro's shirt got stained black from having to hack his way through too much Living Tar! Yeah, that's the ticket!

01-14-2006 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Deadly Legos Of Death (0)  
Wow, you couldn't ask for a better piece to use for Beethro's hair! Very nice.

-Erik

01-14-2006 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I'm inspired!

*shall return in several days with "something"...*
01-14-2006 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
Awesome.
01-14-2006 at 08:42 AM
Darkmatt
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: Deadly Legos Of Death (+1)  
That's just beautifully creative. All we need is a Deadly Hedgemaze of Death and we could start our own DRoD cameo section. :D

If I was picky, I would say "I think living tar is suppose to be blue, I've been listening to those architects at the Rooted Empire too much."
02-07-2006 at 09:13 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
That looks a lot more like a black rock golem than the 'Neather.

02-07-2006 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Chaco wrote:
Hmm. I thought it looked like a Wraithwing. Is it supposed to be the 'Neather?

As a side comment, I was getting ready to make this post when I became mesmerized by Darkmatt's avatar. I kept watching level after level wondering what was coming next, until my conscious mind insisted, "Hey! It's just on a loop!"

(Even then, I watched for about 30 more seconds.)

++Adam H. Peterson
02-07-2006 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tailchaser
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Deadly Legos Of Death (+1)  
Hmm. I thought it looked like a Wraithwing. Is it supposed to be the 'Neather?
Actually... this is kind of humiliating, but it's my attempt at a roach. I started by making 6 legs out of those joints with a 1x2 plate on either side, which initially seemed like a good choice, and was one of very few pieces I could place at a believable angle rather than just straight down or straight across, but also meant each leg is longer than one of the tiles on the floor, and every piece I added made it further off scale. Since I originally intended to take a picture from nearly straight overhead, like the view in DROD, I ended up sticking all the pieces together vertically to keep them from sticking out sideways (I thought that the camera angle would hide any excess in height, but an excess in width would be really obvious.) But all the pictures I took from that angle looked terrible, and besides you couldn't see Beethro's hair from straight overhead (which is of course the highlight of the whole model.) So instead I ended up taking a picture at a slight downward angle, which reveals how horribly deformed the roach is. Seriously, it's the only roach in the world with a thorax taller than it is long...

In retrospect, I really should have dug up another black multi-direction connector so I could attach the wings to the back of the roach's head rather than the top. That would have made it stick out farther to the back, but it would look much more believable. Incidentally, my avatar is the same roach against a different background, so that should give you an idea of how it was supposed to look.

So today's lesson is, if you must try to make Lego bugs, at least don't make them as small as possible!

02-08-2006 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
icon Re: Deadly Legos Of Death (+2)  
tailchaser wrote:
Well, it turns out it's ridiculously hard to get a decent digital picture of something that small, and that reflective, with the camera that close to it, and it requires a lot of messing around with photo editors and strategically placed desk lamps to get the colors and shadows to look right.

<snip>

The picture still didn't come out terribly well, but this was the best I could do for now, without any of the fancy techniques and special lenses that professional photographers use.

Try putting the model onto something white (such as the back of pieces of paper) on your dining table and then taking the picture. I take my LEGO pictures on our (covered) pool table with my digital camera's macro setting on & they come out fine.
02-08-2006 at 11:17 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
That big staff-ish thing looked a lot like a hammer, so I figured it was supposed to be the 'Neather...

02-10-2006 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Heh. I thought it was a wraithwing, since the color is right and it seems to have wings...

02-10-2006 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Deadly Legos Of Death
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com