Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: AE hold! One level demo! (Back to basics)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sendy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
IP: Logged

File: Sendys Palace Demo.hold (20.9 KB)
Downloaded 103 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon DROD: AE hold! One level demo! (+1)  
My reason for returning to DROD: AE was mainly to learn more about the basic elements and building with them. There will be about 10 levels all of the same size, but the difficulty will only get to about medium-hard as a maximum.

Please let me know what you think and stuff!

Sendy
01-08-2006 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: DROD: AE hold! One level demo! (0)  
So far so good for the first level of a hold, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear possible to get into 2s1e and 2s2e, which you need to reach to be able to complete 2s and 1s2e.
01-08-2006 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3640
Kewl, more rooms.

*draws sword and cautiously walks into hold*

01-08-2006 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sendy
bandit1200 wrote:
So far so good for the first level of a hold, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear possible to get into 2s1e and 2s2e, which you need to reach to be able to complete 2s and 1s2e.

Thanks. Last time I tested it it was possible to pass that level, but I'll look into it.

Sendy
01-08-2006 at 09:13 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
bandit1200 wrote:
I've just finished those 4 rooms, so I'm sure this it's possible. Can you tell me what your problem is with 2s?

(I haven't finished this level yet. I might give more comments when I finished it.)

01-08-2006 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
A couple of days without sleep isn't helping, but if you managed those rooms, I'm obviously missing something. I'll take another look tomorrow
01-09-2006 at 12:12 AM
Chaco
I've beaten the entire hold, and I didn't see any problems in the first level. Maybe it was just the way I went around the thing, but I was able to solve everything.

01-09-2006 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
icon Re: DROD: AE hold! One level demo! (+1)  
It's marvellous what some sleep and a clean pair of glasses will do.
Click here to view the secret text

01-09-2006 at 10:53 AM
bandit1200

01-10-2006 at 11:43 AM
bandit1200

01-10-2006 at 10:42 PM
Sendy
Soo, what do you think of the difficulty of level 2 (the Sewer)? I think it's considerably harder so I may move the sewer to level 3 and insert another easy level in there to keep people hooked.

Soon I'll post a 3 level demo :)

Also, if I finish the hold and it's about 10 levels of that size with a good difficulty curve, would you rate it 8 or higher in the archive? I've got my eye on submitting to SS in the future. I'm not asking for people to 'promise to rate it a 9' or whatever, just want to know the overall quality so far.

Sendy
01-11-2006 at 07:06 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Let me see:

The Basement:
Sendy wrote:
Soo, what do you think of the difficulty of level 2 (the Sewer)? I think it's considerably harder so I may move the sewer to level 3 and insert another easy level in there to keep people hooked.

Also, if I finish the hold and it's about 10 levels of that size with a good difficulty curve, would you rate it 8 or higher in the archive? I've got my eye on submitting to SS in the future. I'm not asking for people to 'promise to rate it a 9' or whatever, just want to know the overall quality so far.
-- Tim

[Edit: Is this really an AE hold? Then I will increase my score a bit more :)]

[Last edited by Tim at 01-12-2006 01:26 AM]
01-12-2006 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Sendy wrote:Soo, what do you think of the difficulty of level 2 (the Sewer)? I think it's considerably harder so I may move the sewer to level 3 and insert another easy level in there to keep people hooked
Spiders just ain't fun, though no doubt someone will come along and contradict me, but Tim said it all in one word - don't.
01-12-2006 at 08:52 AM
Chaco
They're only slightly more fair in JtRH, but they're still just roaches.

01-12-2006 at 11:17 AM
bandit1200
Not really, you can see roaches all the time. My eyesight is bad enough without having to squint at the screen to see faint images. Still, it could be worse, he could have used Stuwy's floortile from level 3 of Renegades. :eek

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 01-12-2006 12:50 PM]
01-12-2006 at 12:49 PM
Sendy
The spiders are cyan, the floor is red - it couldn't be any more vivid if I tried :lol. Yes it's an AE hold, and I'd never play AE holds in JTRH - it just never looks right. I'm an aesthetics obsessive, hopefully people will come to notice that fact :). I just thought spiders would make a change from roaches. About not being able to get back from a room 'till you finish it - while the level layout is far from finalized (with only 3 rooms) I thought stuff like that was acceptable? I find it's a pretty easy room anyhow (in AE anyway).

Seriously, I thought 1N on level 2 was easy, by 'more difficult rooms' I meant the one to the East with the forcefield pens and the queens. So I'm interested on feedback on the difficulty of this room so I know how much of a gradient I have going.

Tim - Thanks for the detailed opinions, it was interesting to read. The 'joke room' at 1N was just supposed to be a parody of trial and error logic used in games/levels sometimes, I'll probably stick a decent secret there later on.

Just so people know, I'm working on this AE hold and two JTRH holds as well, so I'll be asking for more feedback and advice later on. I will admit I don't know if my brain can take on the task of being a good and consistent author but I'm willing to give it a try (Ok, it's just freaking addictive OK?)

Sendy
01-12-2006 at 02:08 PM
bandit1200
That really
me off! I just spent 30 minutes typing a lengthy reply commenting on rooms, spiders, etc, then began another sentence with "As", but hit 'ctrl a' instead of 'alt a' to start with a capital letter, and the lot got deleted. :angry

Anyway, the gist of it was, the first level was easy and fun. In the second level, 1N and the unfinished 1N1E are both easy. 1E is probably made more difficult than it really is, when played in JtRH, as spiders are completely invisible at times. As you intended it to be played in AE, it's difficult to rate its difficulty, IYSWIM. If the hold had been anyone edit, I'd have tried it in AE, but I didn't want to have to play the first level through again to get to it.

One other thought I had about this being an AE hold - I wonder how many actually still have AE installed? And, of course, some newer recruits may have never had it installed - if it goes onto the holds board, it will likely be downloaded many times through JtRH, rather than directly from the holds board. So, players won't know it's intended to be AE only, and will have the same problem with spiders. On the other hand, if they have never played the Webfoot or AE editions and seen the original spiders blinking, then it won't make the slightest bit of difference to them. See how complicated I'm beginning to make it? ;)

Anyway, if the hold remains fun, I'll take the bad with the good, until such time that the hold gets too difficult for me, as I suspect it will eventually... and this post has nearly ended up longer than my original. :lol

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 01-12-2006 06:43 PM]
01-12-2006 at 06:42 PM
Sendy
Just to answer your questions, Tim.

1W: A simple room to finish if you start from the bottom left entrance. Is that your intention?

Originally, yeah. But looking back it's kind of begging to be made harder.

2S: This was a quite funny room. :)

Yay!

2S1E: Funny. Are you supposed to wait for the roaches on the bridge?

1S2E: What is the use of the potion? I can't remember ever using it...

About AE, I love it, it has it's own feel and I like the music and some of the themes it has a lot. The first scroll mentions water troughs because I was using the Sanctuary style :)

Sendy
01-12-2006 at 11:56 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1375
Sorry for me being slightly off topic, but..
bandit1200 wrote:
That really
me off! I just spent 30 minutes typing a lengthy reply commenting on rooms, spiders, etc, then began another sentence with "As", but hit 'ctrl a' instead of 'alt a' to start with a capital letter, and the lot got deleted. :angry

Did ctrl z not work?
01-13-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
TripleM wrote:
Sorry for me being slightly off topic, but..
bandit1200 wrote:
That really

Did ctrl z not work?
It never occurred to me to try, but I see it does work. That'll come in handy for next time it happens - and it will! Thanks.
01-13-2006 at 08:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: AE hold! One level demo! (Back to basics)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com